Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Chili posted:

I think nearly every large level mario game had parts in it that were timed. But that wasn't the whole game. There'd be specific stars that required you to rush. But the other stars would allow you to enjoy the world.

And that's the key distinction, you don't mind the level timers in 3D World, because there's not really much to see. The level design may be efficient and practical, but there's just nothing to bring you back.

The timer's at 500 for 3D world, you don't really have to rush at all in that game. Also there's a bunch of time pickups across the level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Jesus christ you think too much about timers.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Chili posted:

The timer thing was a separate tangent, but I enjoyed spewing about it and I think I'm probably right.

I sound like a dick saying this but no your point about timers was dumb. You don't like 3D world though for other better reasons and that's grand.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Chili posted:

Apart from the fact that I think about them too much, how are they dumb?

It sounded more like you had a problem with how the levels were devoid of features and felt empty compared to the other slower Mario games. You just slammed on timers being the cause of this instead.

3D world & Land are more 3D versions of the 2D games where levels were obstacle courses to get through instead of places to explore and find stars.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Excellent, now what were we talking about before? Oh yes.

Bayonetta 2 is a terrible game because it's not selling well in Japan.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

At least it's not a horrible game because reviewers don't understand how to play it.

It's a platinum game. Of course that's going to happen, just wait.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

Grown adults seem to be upset that the motherland did not take well to their anime game. Which it's sequel proved the reasons for it's original cancelation valid.

That and timers ruined Mario.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

That's why you pick Luigi, for he is not bound by such mortal constraints.

Unless you're playing New Super Luigi U, then you're bound by a even tighter constraint of 100 seconds and you'll never get to explore the luscious 2D world at your leisure.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Wheany posted:

Hyrule Warriors looks real fun, and much more accessible to me than old Dynasty Warriors games. :ohdear:

I'm not sure if I want to buy the console for that though, because nothing else looks like something I want to play. Maybe proper Zelda whenever that is released. And maybe if they ever make a good Metroid.

Do not buy a WiiU just for Hyrule Warriors. Please.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Wheany posted:

I've watched Chip Cheesum's LP and nah.

You said Dynasty Warriors was less accessible then Hyrule Warriors. Wonderful 101 is definitely not for you. Neither is Bayonetta 2 I suppose.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Wheany posted:

If it's anything like Bayonetta 1, I would probably just get frustrated after 5 minutes and never play it again.
Yeah if you get frustrated by that don't ever get a Platinum game.

Dynasty warriors has changed a ton since it's started. They only really changed the RPG elements though the combat's still the same mashy fun that everybody expects. The only drastic change to combat they had was when they allowed any character to equip any weapon.

Dota's patch changes are just tweaks and balances and unless you're a sperglord you wont notice a thing. Matches in Dota vary wildly depending on what heroes are chosen.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

??????????

So DW has changed a ton, but also hasn't changed, but Dota changed, but also you don't notice the change,

Golden Goat posted:

Dynasty warriors has changed a ton since it's started. They only really changed the RPG elements though

I'm saying all the changes people are mentioning are to everything but the combat. You still mash square.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Fremry posted:

Guys, guys, guys. Can't you see that this thread is tearing us apart? Let's just all agree that Dota 2 and musou games are terrible.

Agreed. Can't wait to see Bayonetta 2 crash in sales, despite being amazing.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I love the Warriors series despite the combat being very very simple.

Please buy Bayonetta 2

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Like I said, I'm not particularly seeing how it is any more simplistic than the bulk of action games on the market these days. Yeah, Platinum's stuff kicks the poo poo out of it on a depth and complexity scale but I can't think of many other "kill a lot of dude" games that are particularly less simple.

It's more that despite the changes they've made you can go through a whole level in DW with only one combo you use repeatedly and still you wont feel like the other combos and attacks really mattered. It's the enemies I suppose that are amazingly passive on anything but the highest difficulty that's more of an issue.

Seshoho Cian posted:

Shooting guys with the feet guns feels real good and I can't wait to do more of that.

She has flamethrowers on her feet now too.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Hyrule Warriors is good about this though. Each character has a gimmick and you've got moves that have different advantages and disadvantages or confer different benefits or whatever. Even the weak point system means you'll (sometimes, some characters have a wonder-combo) use different moves for smashing weak points than you would for crowd clearing than you would for damaging officers without their weak points. Enemies are significantly more aggressive (they need to be since the weak point system requires them to attack) and enemies taking camps or even your base is far more likely.

That sounds excellent. I haven't played HW yet so I might pick it up today.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Excels posted:

I bought a Wii U in preparation for Smash Bros, mainly, but since HW just came out I grabbed that as well. It wasn't at the top of my list or anything but I got the OOT skins so that's cool

Now you just need to pick up Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

What's throwing you off? It's drawing the unite morphs isn't it? Nobody likes drawing. :(

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

How the gently caress is a game about Chinese warriors from millennia ago MORE accessible than a game about video game characters?

I was talking about the gameplay.

E: Sorry I was pointing out that if you make that comparison at all then no you most likely will not enjoy W101 or Bayonetta 2.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 2, 2014

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

PrBacterio posted:

Well I can't speak for him obviously, but in my case, it's the entirety of the setting and art style that's just not even the slightest bit appealing. I just don't like the whole super sentai aesthetic. For instance, as another example, while I generally enjoyed the Phoenix Wright games, I always liked the cases about the Steel Samurai the least :shrug: (Well, except for Oldbag, of course, who is obviously awesome wherever she appears :allears:)

That's a totally fair point to not get W101.

Now how do you feel about hair suit women with guns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Wheany posted:

Same, except every game I like.

Why not try W101. Chip's LP of it gives a bunch of tips making the game really easy.

• Locked thread