Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
It's funny how many games on the 3DS just made me go, man I wish I had something like this for my WiiU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
You know what would be great? The WiiU to go back to some of the Gamecube stuff. It's weird, so many games on the 3DS just made me want to see them on the WiiU, Kid Icarus, Luigi's Mansion 2, and a couple others. What I'd love to see is a continuation of the Pokemon XD duo, they're actually really neat little side games for what can be a really samey series. Of course I'd love to see Mario Sunshine 2, but that's because that's my childhood game.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

MechaCrash posted:

I think that one key difference between the Wii U and Virtual Boy, at least as far as the current situation is concerned, is that the technology to do the Virtual Boy's gimmick properly just did not exist at the time. The Wii U, however, does its schtick in a perfectly serviceable manner, and making a console that has the tablet controller and can keep up with the other consoles is perfectly doable, Nintendo just didn't do it. Admittedly because it would've been pretty spendy, but the fact remains that it's not an inherently unworkable idea.

The WiiU has multiple games worth playing, the Virtual boy had like, the one. The WiiU isn't doing well but it's more of a Dreamcast than a Virtual Boy, I really love my WiiU personally.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's doing worse than the Dreamcast.

:stare: Good lord. Well, as long as it's got 2 Platinum titles I'm still going to give it lots of playtime. :shrug:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

melon cat posted:

It really seems like this is one of the reasons why Nintendo hasn't been able to compete with Microsoft, Sony, or even the PC market. Since Japanese companies don't lay-off or transition employees to other positions, they simply can't adapt to the new market and this is what's killing them. Every time Nintendo makes a big announcement, it's always some 50 to 60 year old man who barely speaks English. ie. the same guys who were doing the driving almost 30 years ago. Heck, Hiroshi Yamauchi was the company's President from 1949 to 2002. They're so out of touch with their audience that it's just incredible.

Japanese buissnes practices is really almost the entire reason that they're struggling overseas. Buissnes is a part of a countries culture over there, and Nintendo could desperately use some new blood. Like Retro.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Darko posted:

In conjunction with this, software is just as much marketing as it is programming. You need a perfect dual marriage of the studies to be an efficient software house, and both need to constantly update and be fresh and new. Nintendo is neither.

Even though it's marketing was god-awful, I actually love the WiiU as a piece of tech. The dual screen thing has some fantastic ramifications and having an always on hand map while playing Wind Waker really takes that game to the next level.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I really love my WiiU, Wonderful 101 and 3D world are 2 really loving awesome games, and Nintendo Land is some of the best drunk fun I've ever had with a game. It's not selling well but I don't really care and I think it's really funny that people are so invested in seeing a company do well/bad that it's preventing them from enjoying video games.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ohnoitschris posted:

I just want it to sell well so it attracts 3rd party developers and they put out more games on the Wii U and then I'll never have to buy a Bone or a PS4

I'll probably end up getting a PS4 in 3 years or so, same as I did with a PS3.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Every title is intended to have an accumulative effect on a consumer's interest in the platform. No one title is created with the expectation that people will buy the system for only that one game. DKCTF is no different than Smash Bros or Mario Kart or SM3DW.

I'd buy the system for TF if I hadn't already. DKC:R is one of my all time favorites. :colbert:

Different games are system sellers for different people, I bought a 3DS for Phoenix Wright, some people did for Pokemon, some did for ALBW. Once Nintendo gets a first party Zelda, and SSB, they're going to get a bunch more sales. Not enough to save the system, but plenty.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

AngryCaterpillar posted:

That's what I was saying, although very few people buy a system with the intention of buying only one game, it could be any singular game that initially sells someone on the system. As for the reviews concerning themselves with this, I can only say it would be really weird if movie reviews were based on the reviewer's investment in the studio's business decisions.

I really loving hate video game reviews because they get caught up in stupid poo poo. "But it doesn't bring anything new to the table" "it's not the system seller nintendo is looking for" "it doesn't take advantage of the WiiU's capabilities, (second screen, HD)" . Like, gently caress I don't care, just loving tell me how good the game is, is it good? Tell me that. Why is it good, what does it to well, what could be better?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Motto posted:

This is a joke, right? Both those games are niche, and one still doesn't have a name and the other hasn't been shown at all and may not exist.

Niche titles sell consoles. There are a lot of people who are big FE fans, and will buy a WiiU for SMT/FE

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Louisgod posted:

This isn't even remotely true, why do you think this is true. Stop saying untrue things.

Was there not a spike in sales of the 3DS after FE: Awakening launched? Am I completely off base here?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I'm probably late but the real issue of the review debacle is not just a videogame problem. A lot of the 7/10 reviews were generally negative but they didn't want to look like they were slamming a well made game so they gave it a "decent" score because all people do is read scores. They didn't have the balls to just say they didn't like the game. You can see the same thing in the AV Club review of the House of Cards second season. You could tell the reviewer had nothing but negative feelings about the series and expressed negatives in all but maybe one paragraph but the season review score? B.

I think that's why I appreciate guys like Jim Sterling. I loved NES Remix. He didn't. What does he give it? **/*****, which is clearly saying he felt it was medicore and the review represents that.

"Oh Nintendo, what are we going to do with you?" isn't what you say about a 7/10 game. That's what you say about a 3/10 game.

Jim Sterling is pretty much everything right with games journalism.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
So, what is it going to take before Nintendo realizes that they need to clean house and bring on some sensible management?

Also :laffo: at the fact that companies give a flying gently caress about the consumer. The consumer transaction is 2 parties trying to get the most out of eachother at both persons expense. This is the way things will always be, none of us would make purchasing decisions thinking of anyone other than ourselves, why would anyone think that it'd be any different on the other side.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

greatn posted:

They can't. The people causing the problems are the same people running the company and on the board, and they just spent a sizable amount of the company's nest egg to make sure Nintendo owns majority of it's own stock and its decisions can't be questioned.

Actually he's never earned that much compared to western executives. Nintendo executives have never been paid all that highly. He probably earns less than a million even before his salary was cut.

It's a japanese thing, ridiculous CEO wages aren't really a thing by in large over there.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

blackguy32 posted:

Gamecube at the very least got ports of other games. Sure, they may have had features cut from them, but they were decent at the very least, but that was probably because it was on par with the competition.

iirc, the gamecube was more powerful than the X-box or the PS2.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Louisgod posted:

The X-Box was more powerful and had better audio options. I know that when there was a game being released for all three systems that I wanted I'd usually just buy the GameCube version since it tended to have better load times.

Really? Did they ever port Resident Evil 4 on there? It's hard to eyeball since most of the games on the Gamecube are all cartoon (Sunshine, WW, etc.) Not that those games don't look beautiful in their own right.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Astro7x posted:

This company, I swear...

Holy poo poo this is going to be a trainwreck

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

melon cat posted:

They may not have ridiculous CEO wages, but if Nintendo's any indication of Japanese business culture their CEOs do have ridiculous tenure. And that's just as bad because their CEOs keep their jobs even if the company falters under their leadership.

Hiroshi Yamauchi (Iwata's predecessor) served as Nintendo's CEO for 53 years. Iwata has been CEO for ~12 years, and has given no indication of stepping down. For most Western compabies, average CEO tenure is 6 years.

And as an added note- Japan's CEOs definitely aren't the frugal, humble types that some people in this thread seem to be claiming they are. In 2013, Yamauchi was the 13th richest person in Japan and the 491st richest in the world

I'm not defending it, it's just different. Buisness is viewed as a family, a son usually works with the company his father worked with, company loyalty is omnipresent, etc.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Oh dear lord this is awful

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I'd like to see the boardroom where they shook hands on this and went, this is a really good idea.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Macaluso posted:

Cause it's silly and he's a new character in a game that's literally coming out tomorrow

edit: The fact that you apparently can only play as him in co-op sucks though. I'm never playing Tropical Freeze with another person. I got mad enough at DKCR doing some of the harder levels on my own

Wait what? Seriously?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Kabanaw posted:

You can only play as Cranky on his own in co-op. In single player you play as DK but you can have Diddy, Dixie, or Cranky as partners and use their powers.

Oh okay, so same as it was in DKC Returns. Is the DK solo mode going to be avaliable from the beginning this time? :getin:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

was this game as bad as it looks?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Hahahahaha someone submitted that and multiple people were okay with it being in a finished product.

And it's still not as offensive as the visual style.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

TheKingofSprings posted:

This would almost work if that game weren't developed by Arzest.

Which if anything is just more strong evidence of Nintendo having horrible, horrible taste in the studios it outsources to.

Imagine what Retro could have done with a "new yoshi game"

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Man, Sticker Star sure was a lovely game, huh! Ha ha

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I'm surprised at this thread, I thought we were better than this obvious slut shaming. Let the woman decide what she wants to wear for herself! :argh:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Ive decided to only play video games that treat sexuality maturely, ill see you guys on the other subforums.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
when does MK8 officially release? Probably going to go buy it next weekend, will the deal still be running then?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I really care about other people's purchasing decisions

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Fremry posted:

Said in a thread about the sales and marketing choices of Nintendo.

There's a difference between discussing and laughing and Nintendo's sales and marketing and being investing in whether or not someone is going to buy a WiiU. People seem really loving defensive over their decision to buy a video game console ITT.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Fremry posted:

Honestly, the moment I lost faith in Nintendo was after buying the 3DS, the only games worth buying were all remakes. There's only so many times I can play Zelda: OoT before I'm done with you as a company. It's an absolute shame because as a kid born in the 80's, Nintendo defined so many of my childhood memories.

It's the definitive version of OOT, soon enough I won't actually have to keep around an N64, once they re-make Majoras Mask, and Paper Mario. Also sorry you missed out on a pretty slick library of games that are on the 3DS right now dude.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

IronicDongz posted:

a catalog of mostly remakes.

doesn't the 3DS have 2?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Motto posted:

Aren't we talking about ports, not remakes? All OOT3D did was insert better models and include the Master Quest version, and DKCR is a port with some extra levels and an easy mode.

I was pretty happy to play a version of OOT that doesn't look like loving garbage.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I still to this day am amazed that developers try to patch out anything but really annoying or game-breaking glitches.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

lynch_69 posted:

The WiiU is still a doomed system. Mario Kart, Zelda and that Smash Brothers game won't do squat in turning round the fortunes of a console with zero third party support. They'll sell well enough to the installed base who bought WiiU's and are desperate for any software, but that's about it.

and this is the death of the WiiU. MK8 can't just be a good game, DK: TF can't just be a good game. They all have to "save the WiiU" or something which saddens me, because if the games keep trending this way it's likely going to have the best straight lineup of quality games for any Nintendo console since the SNES.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
The Gamepad actually works really well as a regular controller, it feels really good. That said, almost no games use the touch screen so there's not much benefit over just using a real controller. I really wish the WiiU got some major indie support, because I think there are some loving amazing things that could be done with the tech, hell, Nintendo Land had some incredible proof-of-concept stuff, and now the best games on the console (DKC, SM3D, MK8) barely use the bad boy.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Mario Kart 8 is souless and bad (i've never played it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

greatn posted:

David Gibson just tweeted about Iwata's Nintendo stock and salary. My wife and my combined income is actually more than what Iwata is paid in salary each year, which is frankly insane. Just a tiny amount for an executive of a huge multinational corporation. Though his stock is worth somewhere around 8.5 million, so he's still a wealthy man. It's just hard to believe how different executive pay is in some corporate cultures.

Japanese executive culture is so crazily better than american executive culture. Shame about all the other stuff though

• Locked thread