Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
E3 will make or break the Wii U. If it gets solid games, the console will be able to coexist with Sony and Microsoft. But they won't fail on the same level as Sega, Nintendo has a solid markethold on handhelds for the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Zelda is very worn out, to me. Their LttP reboot isn't exciting like it should be, and 3D Zelda games have just been OoT remakes. Skyward Sword felt like a long tutorial. Mario has similar issues, the New series is impossibly derivative and is an exercise in frustration multiplayer.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Rocketlex posted:

Miyamoto's said in interviews that he'd love to make a first-person Zelda game if he felt he could get away with it. He loves first-person games, but the rest of the Japanese market doesn't.

Thank gently caress for that, because a first person Zelda sounds awful. Like a neutered Elder Scrolls game.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

For instance, I was deeply disappointed by FF13, but I still bought and played FF13. However, I didn't buy 13-2, the first (somewhat) main line FF game I hadn't at least tried. Now I'm out of the habit of buying FF games and may never go back. Similarly, I bought and enjoyed the Gamecube, and based on that I gave the Wii a chance too, but I will not give the WiiU a chance mostly based on my disappointment with the Wii.

Our purchase history almost lines up (I had a friend buy and play FF XIII in front of me, dodged that bullet) but I ended up really getting into my Wii after some time. Xenoblade and Pandora's Tower didn't disappoint. I'm also giving the U a pass for the time being.

If you can do imports, Zangeki no Reginleiv is a load of fun too.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

Man, if Madden, Call of Duty, FIFA, and Grand Theft Auto all skip Wii U this upcoming year, that is an unfathomable amount of potential revenue lost. How on earth do you compensate?

Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros...

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

That loving Sned posted:

I'm wondering if the next 3D Mario will just look like Galaxy running in Dolphin at 720p.

That's almost a certainty. Unless they really shake the series up, the 3D Mario games haven't been about stunning visuals.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

The most poorly received Zelda in recent memory was Minish Cap which IIRC barely broke a million.
Edit: Excuse me, I was wrong here. The worst overall console release was Four Swords Adventure which was also the worst Zelda release period.

How funny, I own both of these, and I'm far from a Zelda nerd. Just a top-down Zelda nerd. I was ready to reply with some awful sales figures for Skyward Sword, but the Wikipedia page states it's the fastest selling Zelda game.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

fivegears4reverse posted:

The vast majority of SNES games could have been done to a reasonable extent on the NES, should we never have upgraded from the 8 bit days? I mean, it was already good enough.

Most of the greats really couldn't have. I understand the point you're trying to make, but I don't think the analogy holds true.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Anything too big for an NES cart, excluding graphics for obvious reasons. Maybe Super Metroid, definitely Super Mario World, SMRPG, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, Megaman X-X3, Super Castlevania IV, Secret of Mana, really anything with Mode 7 graphics including F-Zero... the list is kind of huge. Graphics really mattered more back then compared to now, because of the huge jumps in technology. Indie gaming being such a big deal is because graphics aren't the barrier they used to be.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

For anyone saying "Graphics Don't Sell Consoles"

The Playstation.

Could you have picked a worse example? The Playstation was a graphical leap, but nothing anyone was ready for. It was 3D adolescence, awkward and ugly.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

homeless snail posted:

You mean exactly like the SNES? :confused:

Some games on the SNES didn't keep savegames. I remember writing down passwords for Megaman X, despite renting games like Chrono Trigger just to see how far other people had gotten in the game. (And being very freaked out by the Black Omen as a young child. :P )

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Also you want your game to run on as many systems as possible, not just beasts with plenty of RAM.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mordaedil posted:

I wonder if it's really the Zelda games that are console sellers. The Wii had a pretty timely release with Twilight Princess, which was released for both systems.

If that HD Zelda they showed a tech demo for existed I'd be more adamant about getting a Wii U.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

One and the Same posted:

Gamecube wasn't a failure though? It didn't sell like the PS2 or even the Xbox, but it was hardly a dead cat.

Every Nintendo console until the Wii sold less than its predecessor. Meaning the GameCube was the worst of them until the Wii U. That other poster was exactly right - for awhile, the handhelds carried the company.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

No, they need to release games that are as good as Earthbound, which they haven't really done.

Neither have 99% of game developers, and the market seems to be doing fine.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

Did you play Xenoblade? You should play Xenoblade.

What? Earthbound and Xenoblade have so little in common, why are you recommending it to someone who doesn't like grinding or anime?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
My roommates and I must have been Nintendo fanatics in comparison to the average consumer. We had the DS at launch and thought it was great. Most of that was Meteos and GBA games for a time, but I didn't feel the general apathy like we're seeing now with the Wii U.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Except for all the ones that do. Puzzle games with light resource management elements have been around for ages and will continue to be around. Do you notice how you keep moving the goalposts for any other game I mentioned but not for Pikmin? Every single time I come up with something you go "B... but if you add THIS on then it counts as an RTS!" You quite literally keep changing the definition every single time I point out how flawed your definition is.

One of the biggest elements of RTS games is that they tend to focus on multiple positions at once without a central reliance on a protagonist unit, thus giving them the "strategy" element. You have powerful hero units like Warcraft 3's Heroes but they are only slightly less disposible than the average unit. The emphasis on macro and micromanagement is one of the defining features of RTS games and what they are designed around.

You can get into more detail with subgenres but beyond a certain point they're only minimally something you count as RTS. MOBA games are literally built on the bones of an RTS game but have altered the gameplay significantly enough that they have almost nothing in common with them beyond basic interface. Same for Tower Defense games actually. Playing DotA2 and blaming it for being a lovely RTS would be laughable even if it's literally built on an RTS. The fact that you can point out similarities doesn't make it the same kind of game.

You're hyper-focused on the idea that an RTS IS ~THIS~ when genres are not so clear-cut or so defined that you can do that. Similarities do not mean it is in the same genre nor is it trying to be in the same genre.

This is a really stupid and long-winded derail when Pikmin is listed as an RTS on Wikipedia.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

So is literally everything about the NES/SNES. Video games used to be abject garbage. If it wasn't a TV/Movie tie in side scrolling platformer, it was a top down shooter.

What? This is complete bullshit. I still play NES and SNES games today. They aren't all platformers or top-down shooters. You should play the consoles before you say stupid poo poo.

WendigoJohnson posted:

Both those games suffered from crippling gameplay flaws and half implemented ideas.

What was the crippling gameplay flaw in No More Heroes? I just started playing it and have been thoroughly enjoying myself.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

No, I think he has a point. When I think about NES games that are actually good I could probably only come up with about 10 if I was really pushed, not counting sequels. Talking about the entire library as a whole the majority of them were awful. It's like when people think pop music was better in a certain period of their lives but they're only remembering the good ones rather than the slew of trash that made up the majority.

As far as the SNES goes though that did have some good games, but no more than any other platform at the time.

I agree that shovelware has existed at least since the NES, but that wasn't what was said.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Not what I said either. I'm saying most people are thinking of a small minority of exceptions to what he said than what he said in general.

Let me quote posts from this very page, because this is already ridiculous.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The C64/Amiga/Amstrad/Spectrum "culture" is literally a nostalgia thing, kept alive by delusional people who can't accept how loving awful the games were for those things. I don't mean relative to Nintendo or whatever, either, they genuinely stink.

So is literally everything about the NES/SNES. Video games used to be abject garbage. If it wasn't a TV/Movie tie in side scrolling platformer, it was a top down shooter.

Literally everything about the NES/SNES is a loving awful nostalgia thing that genuinely stinks and is abject garbage. Ignoring that plenty of titles (not the majority, but enough to keep you entertained for days/weeks/months) were well-designed, playable, fun games.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

You're ignoring the part where he said the same thing about a swath of gaming system that innovated harder than the home consoles did, some of whom also happily survived the great gaming crash, or where I suggest just about every game on every system then was "loving awful nostalgia" (which I didn't say but is pretty correct, so thanks for that).

At this point you are just raging because someone said a bad thing about your childhood.

You're seeing a lot of rage in posts that just isn't there. You called out someone for vitriolic hatred when all he said was he enjoyed games. I'm not at all angry, you're just wrong. You are right in that you didn't say older games were loving awful nostalgia, I was mixing phrases from a post you quoted and your post, because you agreed with that poster and piled on the Nintendo libraries with them.

If you think everything on the Commodore 64/Amiga/Amstrad/Spectrum/NES/SNES was garbage, then when did gaming get good? If it isn't, why are you even here?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Didn't the Wii get featured on Oprah or some other popular talk show as THE toy of that chrismas?

IIRC it was a Tickle Me Elmo situation.

This, for multiple years across all demographics.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

That it would have been worse if it were using new IP's as the basis for its rides doesn't change the fact that they didn't. The argument isn't that individual WiiU games would be improved by being new IP's, its that Nintendo hasn't made a full, new, differentiating IP for the WiiU. Who are the new Nintendo characters people can point to as only being on the WiiU?

This is a fair point, actually. The system needs a draw, and a great game with a new IP would do it.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Lizard Wizard posted:

Who are the new Nintendo characters people can point to as only being on the Wii? :colbert:

The Wii didn't need that, it had the casual market eating out of its hand. The Wii U needs to appeal to gamers.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Conclusions posted:

Monolith is second-party, and owned by Nintendo though?
That's like saying Jak & Daxter aren't Sony characters, as they were made by Naughty Dog.

MonolithSoft is an excellent company that has nothing to do with Nintendo's in-house abilities. Even though Jak and Daxter were in Playstation Allstars whatthefuckever, you're not expecting Shulk and Reyn to appear in Smash Bros. Hopefully. Because those hopes will be dashed.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
They're so first party Nintendo won't publish their games in the US. I'm not saying anyone here is wrong, just that they're looking at the situation in the wrong light.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Waluigi was introduced in Mario Tennis which was made by Camelot. Camelot is not a first-party developer. Do you get what I mean when I say that narrowing it down that far is silly?

I don't mean to jump down your throat, it's just the whole "Nintendo never makes anything new" argument always seems to need a boatload of caveats to justify itself.

Camelot has mostly made Mario and Golden Sun games in recent memory, they're pretty firmly in Nintendo's camp. Unlike Monolith, who had a PS2 series before being Nintendo exclusive. It's kind of a fine distinction, sure, but it exists.

WendigoJohnson posted:

If they included more anime dudes and giant robots among everything else, that would be fine.

Can't refute this.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

See, this is what I mean by ridiculous narrowing. "Camelot mostly made Nintendo games so they count, meanwhile the company literally owned by Nintendo doesn't count." Despite the fact that Camelot's best-known franchise (Shining Force) is one Sega is still milking to this day.

A series shopped around to at least four developers?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
The Wii U needs a Henry Hatsworth sequel. That game's practically made for the system. Second screen action you don't need to actively watch, or even interact with until everything on the primary screen is taken care of.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

Wario Ware: Fart Academy

Like we wouldn't all play this.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Long John Power posted:

Isn't this picture taken from at the start when you are in the shade? The whole game doesn't look that dark.

Thank god. The entire appeal of that game to me is how vibrant it looked, if the re-release looked like that the whole time I'd return it.

Barfoid 3 posted:

Ok I found out 3d world is not available on regular Wii so I will wait for the inevitable price plummet.

Expect it to lose $20 in value at most. Maybe this system is different, but most first-party Wii games stuck at $40 for years at most stores here.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I thought of this thread when I found out my local Best Buy had run out of Wii Us, but still had Ones and PS4s in stock.

I understand that has next to no correlation to sales figures or popularity, I just found it hilariously ironic.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

I know that companies have always had anal style guides about how you refer to their products, but lately it seems to be getting especially audacious for consoles.

I have no idea what you're talking about, I love my Xbox One all-in-one games and entertainment syste-:suicide:

What's really dumb is they're all just computers. I have a computer I use for games and entertainment. I call it a computer.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

This popped up on reddit (unsure if it's been posted here already) and it describes why Nintendos console naming conventions are awful.

It's not the name. Playstations and Xboxen have come and gone, using the same name each time and this level of confusion was rare if it happened at all. The problem is a staggeringly different market saturation between the Wii and Wii U. Normally, non-gamers hear about new consoles from word-of-mouth via either their kids, family, friends, nerds in their circles, what have you. But nerds don't have a Wii U. Most don't. It isn't discussed.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Ultigonio posted:

Yeah, I can distinctly remember my face just dropping to the ground at the announcement of the console's name. That said, the moment the Wii U was announced, I actually understood what it was, oddly enough.

I understood it too, and my reaction to the name was immediately Kung Pow.

I actually thought the second screen stuff was cool and 1080p was obviously welcome (that Zelda tech demo looked awesome)... But I also expected them to keep up the first-party release schedule. It didn't matter with my Wii that I didn't give a poo poo about half the Nintendo releases and 90% of the third-party stuff because that still left quite a bit to play. Now there's no third-party support and Nintendo is moving glacially with their releases.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

I hate this reasoning. So because Nintendo have sucked in the past when it comes to third-parties, they're allowed to keep sucking at it? You don't want Nintendo to actually make an effort to get games like Dark Souls 2 or Metal Gear Solid 5 on the system cause as long as you have Mario you're happy?

At this stage of the console's life he's being logical.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Crowbear posted:

It's still a bad idea though. They could afford to try and push the GC a little longer because the losses it was making were more than made up for by the GBA. The Wii U is losing so much money that even a good year for the 3DS couldn't make up for it and so far it seems like the 3DS's best years are behind it.

That seems like a premature statement, the first handheld Smash Bros ever is about to hit and another Pokémon game is coming out this year.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

The biggest thing people hated about Ruby and Sapphire was that you couldn't import any of your old Pokemon. That's a problem that doesn't exist with the new games.

Yeah, as a region and as a game Hoenn is remembered fondly. I don't know how fans felt on launch day, I was too cool for Pokémon then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Katana Gomai posted:

And he was right.

Now you just need a watch that will monitor your heart rate and show you notifications from your phone :eng101:

• Locked thread