Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
My partner and I adopted a 3 year old female grey about a month ago. We are both brand new to being dog parents so it’s been an adjustment but she is now becoming a bit more relaxed with us which is nice.

Our biggest hurdle at the moment is getting her to come out for toilet trips. We live in an apartment so we have to get her out every 4-5 hours. Most of the time she is not interested and I need to carry her to the door and then once the door is open she’s 100% into it, very weird to me.

I’ll post some pics when I get home!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

actionjackson posted:

you really shouldn't need to do it that frequently, especially at such a young age. If it works with your schedule great, but Abby was fine when I went to work for many years.

Oh really? The GAP guide said 4-5 hours and the lady I spoke to said don’t leave it more than 7 at a max. We’ve had a couple of accidents where she has started to go while going down the stairs or waiting for the lift so it’s hard to judge. She doesn’t indicate when she needs to go very well as she’s super shy.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

bamhand posted:

The accidents could just be her thinking it's ok to go once she's out of the apartment. Ours loves to pee in Petsmart but otherwise does not go while indoors.

Yeah that’s a point. Someone also mentioned some dogs pee when they are excited? Is that a thing?

She really only likes to go to the toilet on grass (which is great!) so it could be she confuses carpet with grass once out.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
How many people here let their hounds sleep in their room when they sleep? I was not on board with this when we first got ours but then there was an ‘incident’ where someone whined for 45 mins and then chewed on our brand new door :negative:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Our grey licks her but a little once or twice a day, I read this was normal?

Semi-related: what’s the story if she doesn’t like her food from time to time? We don’t want free feeding so I usually leave it out for an hour then chuck it in the fridge for the next morning. Is she getting bored?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Our girl has been vomiting up a little bit when she eats the last couple of days. It happens while she’s eating and she usually just eats it straight back up. She was also eating a little grass the day she first did it which I think they do as they have an upset stomach?

I suspect we may have introduced coconut and avocado oil to her diet a little quick? We did it over a week but maybe should have been longer? She is currently having about a tablespoon with her biscuits and dog roll.

Otherwise is this something we should check with our vet? Apart from the vomiting she’s all good from what I can tell.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

actionjackson posted:

glad Sparty is doing better

my friends got one of these things for their two greyhounds (sadly the third just passed), I guess this is.... a thing?

https://the-riotact.com/puppy-love-colourful-cuddlepillars-the-new-craze-for-dishlickers/275150

We got given one of these the other weekend from a friend whose Grey didn’t like it. They sell out almost instantly when they go on sale here and I think it’s most Grey owners.

Our girl has a built a little fort with it in the corner, pretty cute.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

NomNomNom posted:

Seen some poo poo.

It’s himself in that jumper!

(Jokes, it’s actually awesome)

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

jesus WEP posted:

I love these doggos and wish the best for them

I agree! Been meaning to post some photos of our girl, will do it this weekend I swear!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
As promised here is our girl Hazel!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

david_a posted:

This morning she didn’t want to take a walk - I don’t know if everything looks scarier in the daylight or she didn’t like the temperature. She doesn’t pull on the lead but she does walk a bit randomly so she trips me up or walks so close she pushes me off the path.

This is my experience as well with our girl. Doesn’t like to go out but once out is mostly into it. Also trips me up constantly.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

I’m so sorry to hear that :(

This thread is such a roller coaster.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
So sorry to hear this. That’s such a sweet send off though. :(

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hazel is similar in that she’ll poop 2-3 times on a walk of 45 mins+ with the first being good and next two smaller and not great.

After that she sometimes goes once more in the evening but that’s it.

We know that the crappy (sorry!) original biscuits we bought are the source of the softness. I’m expecting things to get better once that bag is all done (soon!).

Unrelated: we are going to try get a trainer to come to our house as she’s getting more stubborn about not going out and has started growling when she gets on furniture she’s not supposed to.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I have extremely limited experience given we got our girl back in September but it took a good two months before she settled and seemed happy to see us and stuff. So a lot of what you said seems normal.

My only concern would be that you might want to start leaving her for little bits and build that up. Otherwise when you do need to leave her for a few hours she might freak out. Unless I’ve read you wrong and you do go out without her at times?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Our girl had an encounter with a cat on our walk just now. We didn’t realise until we were a few meters away that there was blood running down her leg. We used a clean poop bag to wrap it until we got home. Then we wiped it all down with salty water, put some cotton pads on a wrapped it with that tape that sticks to itself.

She seems to be walking on it mostly fine, if a little gingerly, but the bleeding has stopped and she’s chilling and not licking it any longer.

Is there anything else we should do? This is the first time we’ve had to treat any sort of injury so just want to make sure we are doing all the right things.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

skoolmunkee posted:

Nope it sounds like you did fine. Just re-dress it every day and keep an eye on to make sure it’s healing normally and not looking inflamed or infected. After a couple days stop wrapping it so it can dry out in the air and scab over properly.

DarkHorse posted:

That tape that sticks to itself (I call it wound wrap) is amazing for bandages, especially for animals. It's stretchy so you're unlikely to bind too tight, it doesn't stick to fur so it's not painful to remove, and it holds in place well especially if you tuck the end under the wrap. I bought a box of it after wrapping spartys feet one too many times

We also use neosporin or petroleum jelly sometimes to help with healing

Thanks. This makes us feel much better. Off to the pet store to grab some dog-safe antiseptic cream now.

How much is too much licking on a wound? It sounds like a little helps, (dog saliva has some anti-septic properties) but it can become a problem also. We will keep her cuts covered for a few days but she may pull them off without us knowing I guess.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Would love to take Hazel to some deep snow but instead we get this:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

actionjackson posted:

small update on Abby, she has some discharge coming from the affected eye, but the vet said those are just tears. She told me to move my finger from the side of her eye to in front to make sure she can blink, and she can't, so that would explain why the tears are coming out. Waiting to hear back on if she needs any sort of treatment. She has no problem closing the eye when sleeping all the time, just can't blink.

Hopefully it settles soon!

I have a random question on zoomies. Hazel does some good zoomies from time to time (couple times a week maybe) but it’s nearly always after she has eaten. I’m paranoid about bloat so should I try and prevent the zoomies for at least 30 mins after she has eaten?

I say should I, as if I really can prevent them. It’s not easy.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I hope you got that Weiner dog sign!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does anyone have any tips on getting our girl to signal when she needs to go out?

Last night at 3am she peed on the floor despite last peeing about 9:10pm which is like 5mins earlier than we normally last take her out. A little difference was that we went for a short walk at that time rather than just take her to pee. Could that have confused her so she held it in?

This is the second time this has happened in as many months. Last time it was a bit earlier though.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
How close to before bed are we talking? Generally we take her out for the final pee and then literally get into bed myself and it’s lights off like 30 mins later.

I’ll check out that video about teaching her to signal. She’s not super food motivated which has made training hard but we’ll see.

How much water should we leave out overnight? I’m reluctant to take it away completely but could limit it to just a small amount. Sometimes I hear her drinking a bit in the night but not often.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
So I just got bit by my girl. I'm pretty upset.

Anyway, my partner dropped a bit of the dog roll plastic packing and she grabbed it and went to chew it down. We obviously didn't want this and I went to pull it from her mouth (as I've done with other bad things, cooked chicken bones etc.) even though she was growling at me. She wouldn't let it go and flared her teeth (way more than I've ever seen her do) and then twice tried to bite me. She slightly got my arm the second time and it's just a small scratch. What should our course of action be here? Did I do something dumb? I'm tempted to call our GAP people to see what they suggest as we don't want resource guarding behaviour.

I've noticed her growling quite a lot more at my partner recently when she tries to get her up or off something she isn't supposed to be on as well which concerns me.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Thanks for all the suggestions. I know that her growling in most cases is fine as that is her way of saying “no thanks” and generally we leave her in those instances. Can anyone link any videos on how to train the “trade up” thing?

I’m currently reading The Other End of the Leash so I’ll see if there are any sections in there on resource guarding as well.

We have been doing the positive reinforcement stuff as much as possible but I think my partner might need to be a bit more firm with her at times as she often ignores her but not me when being told No.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

actionjackson posted:

The vet said that it was edema, she said it should improve in the next week or to, otherwise to let them know. Also avoid stairs and possibly get a harness to help her up. She did ask if there were splotches anywhere else on her body, which could indicate other issues, but thankfully there are not. She very recently had her labs done and things that may be of interest (like platelets) were all normal.

The vet also said that that leg is where she did an injection, so that could have some relation, but also just because of her age it could easily be from some minor trauma like hitting it on a stair (which has happened several times).

Glad to hear it’s nothing major. Hope she is feeling more comfortable each day.

Our girl peed on the drat floor again last night at 2am. Wasn’t convinced she did a proper pee when I took her out just before bed and then she gulped a bunch of water down when we got back in (as we take the stairs, four flights, so I usually let her have a little when back) before I could stop her. I guess I should empty her water bowl to just a little for when she comes up before I take her down for the last time.

:negative:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Re: the no water after the last pee thing. Is it ok to then take them for a 30-45min walk first thing the next morning?

I guess I do the same when I think about it but not sure that’s helpful.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

actionjackson posted:

definitely some improvement at least (left - Sunday, right - today)

That’s looking way better!

Our girl got up on the bed at like 5am this morning. Usually I tell her no but I didn’t this time and woke up on the edge of the bed with her splayed out in the middle :hmmyes:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

NomNomNom posted:

And we just caught my homeslice snacking on his own poop. First time we've ever caught him in the act, pretty sure it's new behavior. Not sure why, but obviously would like him to stop.

Yikes. Our girl rolled in some cat poo poo the other which was a first.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
So sorry to hear that news :(

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

jesus WEP posted:

It’s real hard to watch your dog be not well :smith:

Totally is. I’m sorry this is all happening

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
RIP Iceman :(

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, Tazo's always done that, ever since I adopted him years ago. Sometimes from snorting water while drinking, but also other times seemingly randomly now and again.

Speaking of which, here he is sitting up nicely on his favourite armchair, pulling his best Emperor Palpatine impersonation! :D

"Execute Order Sixty-Six"

I love this photo! :neckbeard:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Great page! Will post some pics of our girl when I remember.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
After a pretty traumatic Saturday last weekend where she got attacked (I also got bitten a bit), and after some pain meds and antibiotics she's back to her usual zooming self...why yes that rug was under the couch prior :colbert:

And for the fashion show...

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

bamhand posted:

We had to get a muzzle + guard for ours when he got a rash and stitches that he wouldn't stop licking. Couldn't find a cone that worked. So having one on hand couldn't hurt. Plus they're pretty cheap.

I didn’t know guards were a thing! We’ve had this awkward cone on our girl for the last week and bit as she won’t stop licking her cut from the attack. She’s pretty used to it now but the muzzle would be so much more comfortable for her.

Can you buy the guard on it’s own? We already have a plastic muzzle.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

jesus WEP posted:

greyhounds are kinda pathetic-looking things at the best of times, a sick greyhound is very sad to look at :smith: so im real glad katie is starting to recover :unsmith:

Man I know what you mean. Our girl looks depressed 90% of the time and I haven’t figured if that’s just a her thing or she’s actually depressed.

Good to hear Katie is on the mend!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

actionjackson posted:

maybe it's just perspective, but that looks closer to whippet size to me

Yeah I get the same thoughts. I would like to spend more time with whippets, see how they compare to Greys.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
We had a few successes this week (hopefully this doesn’t curse it)! Our girl has been whining and jumping on the bed in the middle of the night. So we have started to ignore her whining and telling her “No!” when she starts to jump up. Seems to be working as only one whine last night and she only tried to jump up once as well.

Also I used the techniques mentioned way back in this thread to me to lure her off something she wasn’t meant to be eating (the dog roll paper she snatched)! Just distracted her with a treat she loves and then grabbed the paper.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

This is a great photo!

We just went for a walk with a friend who also has a black girl like ours. It’s so awesome watching them run together!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

david_a posted:

You guys are getting a premium Noob Greyhound Owner 101 experience here. There should really be a bingo card for this; I would have probably won already :kiddo:

Man, I’m right up in here with you bud. Look at all my dumb ‘first dog’ questions I’ve been asking. :eng99: