Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Nice Davis posted:

Does anybody have any experience with rescue organizations within a 4-5 hour drive of Champaign, IL? I.e. we're willing to travel to St. Louis, the Quad Cities, Milwaukee, Central Michigan, Indianapolis, or anything closer. We are beginning our search but don't really know how to choose between the orgs that pop up on Google Maps.

We had good luck with GPA Wisconsin. I imagine they'd just refer you to an Illinois org, but that might be what you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Meowenstein posted:

I've been thinking about getting a dog, and hearing about how greyhounds are a good sized breed that do well in apartments is making me consider one. I'm also looking for a fishing companion and a general outdoor adventure buddy, though. My fishing trips are pretty lazy and mostly consist of sitting on the riverbank or lake shore enjoying the outdoors. I also live in Iowa so there's all kinds of weather here. Would a greyhound work well in this situation, or would a different breed be more suitable?

Aside from what the others said, keep in mind that they have to be on leash at ALL TIMES when outside. They have poor recall and will just take off for no reason and never come back. The local rescue organization pretty frequently has to have massive search and fliering operations because someone's brother-in-law left a door open, and their dog just left. They aren't unhappy or trying to escape abuse, they just aren't smart enough to come back on their own. Along with everything else, this really makes me think of them as suburban indoor dogs, not hiking companions.

Also, our older one is slowing down, and doesn't really even seem to like his short walks any more. They are mostly lazy animals to begin with, and getting old has really underscored that for our Peter, so you might also want to consider that as you make your choice.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

slap me silly posted:

Or use a harness... let's be real, adoption groups can be pretty ridiculous. The paperwork I had to fill out was offensively invasive, not to mention condescending.

For what it's worth, this is generally because applicants, like most people, can be real idiots. Yes, you do have to point out to some people that this is a real commitment, and setting your animal loose in the woods if you change your mind in a week is not allowed, that we do expect you to pay for vet care, even if it costs more than just throwing away the current one and adopting a new animal, etc. We've gotten emails asking questions that were answered on splash screens that came up when you clicked the email link, on a page that said "BEFORE YOU SEND AN EMAIL, PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:...". (Those people didn't make it through the adoption process.)

It's a sad dilemma, really. I totally agree that some questionnaires are offensively invasive. At the same time, I've considered finding offshore hosting to create a rescue-only Do Not Adopt list full of whatever info can be gleamed about the really horrible assholes. Mostly, rescuers just burn out eventually and live as hermits.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

actionjackson posted:

Gotta love the adoption groups that are clearly not racing neutral

https://www.grandave.com/sites/default/files/Paws-EventGuide-2014-web.pdf

That's a real great advertisement guys. Who would like to adopt one of our discarded dogs???

I don't know, I think it works okay from a marketing perspective. It's pretty clearly an indictment of the industry that is using up and discarding perfectly good dogs, not of the dogs themselves. And it pulls the heartstrings more than "come see our dogs who have finished their racing careers, and are now moving on to the next exciting chapters of their lives." Also, there are people who want to feel like they're saving abused/neglected animals to feed their savior complex, or who have strong opinions and only want to deal with others who share them, so statements like this are going to appeal to a demographic that other rescues might not reach. I just wonder how they'll keep dogs coming in to the rescue, if the racetracks find out they're being badmouthed.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

One thing to say about the tracks; they breed for performance.
It was one thing in the heyday of racing, but tracks and adoption agencies need each other now in a lot of ways. If the tracks all go away, it wouldn't be the end of greyhounds, but it would probably be the end of physically healthy, docile, non-backyard greyhounds.

actionjackson posted:

It is true there is a major health benefit due to the selective breeding used for racing. Also it's nice to not have a bunch of AKC dogs that only come in one color and look deformed (see: AKC German Shephards).

I think you need to be careful how much you conclude here. Greys are bred for performance on the track, not for long-term health and happiness. Since they retire by 5 or so, I'm sure the breeders aren't concerned with illnesses or problems that start to come up, say, around age 10. To be sure, breeding for athletic prowess seems likely to result in healthier animals in the long term than breeding for appearance, but it also breeds animals that may only be good at one thing. Many greys have trouble sitting, for example, and our older one struggles to change between standing and lying down. I'd be surprised if this wasn't related to their ridiculously long legs, which are probably great for fast running, but not so much for general movement. Their lack of body fat is also something that helps them go faster, but is a real drawback during the winter here in Wisconsin. In fact, our dogs seem pretty sensitive to both warm and cold weather. I'm sure that didn't matter during a quick sprint around the track, but it's an issue now, when we have to be careful about when (and how far) to walk them.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Hey Goonhounds, I'm about to move with my wife to a new apartment and I've been thinking about adopting a Greyhound (probably not a retired horsedog since I'm in SPain and I don't think dog races are big here) since I read they are pretty lazy and don't mind apartments as long as you take them out to stretch their giant monster legs like any other dog.

I just wanted to know how true this is. Both me and my wife work, but she has different schedules so the dog would be alone some times, or spend some weeks in constant company, and our apartment isn't going to be very big. So, even though I've read a couple of times that Greyhounds are chill dogs and that they don't mind an apartment, I just wanted to hear it from actual owners.

Also, are Whippets the same in this regard, or do they personalities differ from their half-giant cousins?

Oddly, I just heard* this weekend that there's a problem in Spain with Galgos, which seem to be similar to greyhounds. Apparently, they're a hunting breed that traditionally isn't treated very well. The woman I was talking to about it said there's a big rescue in Spain called Scooby that is trying to get these dogs into homes as pets once their hunting days are over. The galgo we saw looked sort of like a whippet, I guess, though the owner said she was small even for a galgo. She seemed very sweet, and to have a greyhound-like temperament.

* I'm not vouching for the accuracy of anything this woman told me, just passing on her comments.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

wyoming posted:

Any of you know how to deal with a dog that terrified of everything?
At first I wasn't too worried about it, because Wren is so new to everything, like she won't approach the large staircase downstairs, and won't jump into the backseat of a car, but it's become a problem since the other night. I don't know if she slipped on the rug or what, but she's now terrified to go through the kitchen to go outside, and I haven't been able to coax her to the door with treats or toys or anything, she just stares at me and pants, which is what she tends to to do when nervous, and then she'll just go in her bed and whine, and wag her tail if i ask her if she wants to go out, but she won't budge. I ended up having to pick her up and put her in the kitchen to show her it was alright, just so she'd finally eat and go outside to go to the bathroom, but I fear that might've stress her out more (though she was fine outside, running around and wagging her tail, just when it came time to go inside...), and I don't know what to do, she's far more stubborn than any other dog I've ever had.

Our dogs have trouble with the rooms that have wood floors, too. We had to put carpet runners down to let them get from the front room to their food bowls, and/or the back door. It seems to work, though one of them eyes the runners suspiciously if it he sees it moving, or, God forbid, feels it move underneath him.

Our older dog has trouble with stairs and the car, and we've had to put him on pain meds for arthritis and general old age aches and pains. It seems to help some, but we're also resigned to him being a first-floor only dog in the near future. I'm not sure what to do about the car for him. I don't really want to buy a minivan just because we have two old dogs, but I don't know any way to make my sedan more geriatric-dog-friendly.

Peristalsis fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 18, 2015

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Mr E posted:

Cross-post from the dog/puppy thread:

I've been researching dog breeds, since I want to adopt one sometime after the first of the year. I live in an apartment with a friend who's also grown up with dogs and knows what's required to responsibly own one. We both work 8-5, so I think adopting an older dog would be better than getting a puppy. I love greyhounds, and one of the options I was thinking of was adopting one from an organization like this. What sorts of things should I be researching regarding these organizations? Also, if anyone has any experience adopting a retired racer I'd love to hear what to expect or prepare for if I decide to go this route for adoption. It'd be my "first" dog, but I trained my parent's current dog when they first got him and have always been around and had dogs.

Keep posting greyhounds :3:

We love our old greyhounds - they were 8 and 10 years old when we adopted them 2.5 years ago. Their lifespan is usually quoted as 12 - 14 years.

Pros:
  • They sleep 18 - 22 hours per day which meshes quite well with our lifestyle.
  • They DON'T need to be run hard - just give them plenty of exercise with walking. I do try to let our younger one jog along when he feels like it, but I can only sprint for so long to keep up with his casual jaunt.
  • Very sweet, very gentle dogs. Great company around the house.
  • They sleep on enormous dog beds, and constantly ooze off the side:

• Little to no barking.
  • ROOOOOOOO!

Cons:
  • They need a daily walk (generally about a mile for ours), and the younger one would probably prefer 2 walks per day. I guess it's not really a con, since I enjoy walking with them, but if your schedule is too tight to be sure you can do this, then don't get them.
  • We've also had to hire a dog walker to come let them out mid-day every day, because their bladders are as old as they are.
  • Very poor recall. You can't EVER let them off leash outside, or you'll have to organize a search party to find them again. The local GPA chapter occasionally has an emergency mailing about someone's dog who got out and is lost. They scramble everyone to put up fliers, drive around looking for them, set up traps, etc.
  • As such, they don't make good dogs for hanging out with you outside. I'd love to be able to have a dog out in the garden with me when I'm planting in the spring, but you can't let them roam free, and you can't chain them, since they can quickly get up to very high speeds, and snap their necks when they run out of chain.
  • They tend to lick their tails raw, or have other, similar vices.
  • Their teeth kind of suck, but we do the best we can. It seems to be a problem for greyhounds in general, and our older boy had to have a couple of them extracted about 5 months ago. Brushing is recommended, though we aren't as regular with it as we should be. Giving them raw beef bones really seems to help their teeth a lot, too.
  • Prone to certain kinds of cancers.
  • They can be a little clingy and get under foot. They call them velcro dogs, because they just sort of stick to you when you move around the place. It sounds sweet and all, but can get old when you just want to go in the kitchen for some water without someone following you and actively getting in your way the whole time.
  • Some greys don't do well with stairs. This is a problem for us, because it limits our older dog to one floor of the house (which isn't very big).
  • They have very little body fat, so they don't thermoregulate well. That means they need coats in the winter, and they have to keep cool in the summer. It also means that they really do need those big, silly beds, because they have no natural padding if they sleep on the floor.

I'm not a dog expert by any means, and these are the first dogs I've had as an adult, so I can't intelligently compare them to any other breeds, but the above points are the things that have stuck out to me.

Gratuitous greyhound pic:

Edit: The rescue you linked says it's the local branch of GPA, so they're probably legit. See if they have a forum on their site for you to poke around on while you figure out what you want to do.

Edit 2: I don't see a forum on that site, but you should contact the organization to see if you can help out with volunteering and/or fostering, to get to know some of their dogs. Our local organization has meet-and-greets at local pet stores, and those are a great way to meet a couple of dogs, and start getting to know the rescue folks.

Edit 3: If you don't have access to a fenced in yard, as mikemil828 suggests, look for a local dog park to join. It's a great thing to support anyway.

Peristalsis fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 6, 2015

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Fuzz Feets posted:

I can't quote because I haven't figured that out yet on the phone app but I wanted to comment on Bamhand's question.

First, re: crating. Some greyhounds love their crates and don't mind and in fact enjoy having them around but some get home and don't really want to use them again. With Reese, we did all the crate games and luring and he would go in, and be quiet but was completely miserable. He would shake and turn into a sad dude completely different from his happy goofy normal demeanor. The rescue we got him from told us that some hounds turn out that way. Instead we started giving him incremental freedom and now he has free run of the place.

As far as bathroom breaks go, he is capable of holding it for at least 8-9 hrs but we live in an area where traffic even for my ten mile commute can take an hour, so we have a dog walker come in mid day for him.

Finally I wanted to respond to the comment about taking them for long walks or hikes. Again each hound is different. I know some people definitely take their hounds to do these things (Pastor of Muppets and Rory according to their awesome photo updates) so my advice would be to make sure the rescue knows you want a higher energy hound. As a counterpoint, Reese has a limit of about a mile and after that you are going to be waiting for him to rest up or walk verrrrry slowly home. They are built for sprinting not endurance.

I don't say any of these things to discourage you, far from it, our greyhound is awesome, calm, sweet, well mannered, goofy and adorable. I really just want to point out that they vary a lot from hound to hound. Good luck in your search!

I just want to point out that, even if you get a higher energy dog, it may not stay high energy forever. We have two older greyhounds. One of them insists on his daily walk (about 3/4 mile round trip most days), sometimes with some "running" (i.e. him jogging lazily, with me sprinting and struggling to keep up for 100 yards), sometimes not. The other goes out with us because he doesn't want to be left alone in the house, but he's VERY slow and plodding, and we end up having to walk the more energetic one again on his own, so he can get some real exercise. My point is that I'm sure both dogs were more active 10 years ago, and we've even seen both of their energy levels decline just in the 3 years we've had them. So, if you get a dog that wants to exercise with you, you need to be okay with the fact that that could change. Same thing with having a dog-walker come over - even if your dogs don't need it at first, they may need it after a while. For us, it's worth $15/day just to know for sure that our old guys aren't spending hours every day desperately trying to hold it in. And we know that if we miss the early bus, or run into traffic, or whatever, they won't explode.

We've never had to crate ours, so I can't really speak to that.

I will say that when we were looking into adoption, the greyhound rescue coordinator we worked with more or less told us that greys aren't great dogs for doing things with. They're athletic, but their legs are so long that it can make them kind of clumsy and awkward. I'm not sure how good they'd even be at hiking, unless you plan to hike short distances on a flat, soft trail. And, they mostly just aren't interested in doing much. For us, it has been more like having a pair of 75 pound cats in the house than it has been like a stereotypical dog experience. If you really want a companion to go places and do things with you, you might want to consider a different breed.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

bamhand posted:

Any tips for a new dog owner? Things I should have ready? I'm supposed to go see some of the adoptable dogs tomorrow and I'm preparing a list of things I'll need for taking one home.

Typically, rescues won't do same-day adoptions. YMMV, but don't be surprised if you don't get to come home with a new friend tomorrow. It's also good for you, since it forces you to think about things, and gives you a chance to see more than just one set of dogs before making a decision.

My apologies of I mis-read this, and you're just starting to get stuff together for when you do bring one home.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

ElectricSheep posted:

Surgery will destroy our finances, but we'll do it anyway if we need to because we are already attached. We'll figure it out.

Thank you for being a good owner, and I hope you and your grey are happy together for a long time.

If it helps, you can think of the cost of the surgery as a donation to the rescue, since they'd have had to cough up the money if you hadn't adopted him when you did. Or, maybe they just wouldn't have noticed at all, and he would have died from it.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

ElectricSheep posted:

His current state. He was super happy to see me bring his bed downstairs from where he normally sleeps with us, and crashed in an instant.

I'm so glad it seems to be going okay. Have you considered sleeping downstairs with him? Our older dog can't handle stairs at all any more, so we alternate sleeping downstairs on a mattress or the couch so he doesn't have to be alone at night (he's kind of clingy). It also means it's easier for him to wake someone up if his old-man bladder needs some relief at 3:00 AM.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Horace-Noah posted:

He's come so far in just a week. We live on the second floor of an old building and have a pretty massive flight of stairs he now climbs like a champ. Moving each paw up each stair and putting treats every few the first five or so days was tough, but now he's a pro.

That's awesome, but a quick word of caution - our older boy never really liked stairs, and after a couple of years, his arthritis, stiffness, and poor eyesight just sort of made it impossible for him to do them at all. He even struggles a bit now with the step and down going in and out of the house. So, even though Rico can do stairs now, he might not be able to later on. If you don't own your home, and you move at some point, it would probably be good to look for a place where he doesn't have to use stairs.

ghostgirl118 posted:

Update: Tatianna is staying the night at an evet for iv fluids and observation. The vet has completely eliminated HGE since she had a normal stool with them. They think it was myoglobin in the urine which they did find later on again, although reduced later in the day. It seems like she has some sort of muscle trama, and she's been lying on one side too much? There's not something specific we can point to for why she won't get up or why she can't seem to put weight on her back legs. The evet is doing an exam now.

Best wishes to Tatianna. I hope this all resolves for her. I'd go nuts if I had to leave one of my guys at the vet overnight. Might have to climb in the kennel and stay with him.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Nuclear War posted:

I'm back in Norway getting stuff ready to bring Meesha and the wife back to Europe and its the longest me and Meesha have ever been apart. It sucks. Got an amazing picture of him today that I felt you guys might appreciate. Appearantly he's found a turkey feather and will not go on walks without it. Adorable as hell!

One of our dogs usually wants to take a particular stuffed animal out on his walks, but then carefully deposits it in the same spot in the grass right in front of the front door. Every time. Won't pick it up again on the way back in, either. That's my job.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.
Peter turns the big 1-4 today, so we had a little party for him over the long weekend.

He and Ty celebrated by sharing a double cheeseburger from Culvers. He also got a little bite of pizza tonight, in honor of the piece of pizza he stole off of my plate within 15 minutes of getting here on the day we adopted him.

Sorry for the picture quality, those were the best/least blurry of the lot. For a couple of old farts, they sure do fidget a lot.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.
Ty had his belated 12th birthday party today.

He got half of a Culvers double cheeseburger, and will get the other half tomorrow, probably. I have some doggy frozen custard somewhere that I'll try to dig out for him tonight.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

a slime posted:

Today I had a home visit/interview with a local adoption agency for retired racers. They brought a ~big ol dog~ and he was very friendly and cuddly. We live on the top floor of a duplex and he cried the whole way up the stairs though :(

Should be about a month before they start calling about available doggos :3

Xguard86 posted:

I think every grey struggles with those open stairs. They figure it out and do OK most of the time.

My older dog never got comfortable with my single half-flight of stairs and eventually just couldn't do it any more. My younger dog (12 years old) is struggling a bit with them now, too. They are/were both big dogs (over 70 lbs) with hip problems, and I'm sure that doesn't help, but just know that even if you get a dog used to it when it's young, stairs can cause problems again later. I'm very glad that my first floor is big enough for the dog(s) to have some room to move around without feeling cramped.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

DarkHorse posted:

That's a bummer :( Sparty is a big ol' dog at 77 lbs and I already worry that his hips are weird, even at 3 years old. He takes stairs like a champ though, doesn't even usually skip steps unless he's really excited. :3:

To be fair, our guys have always seemed to be pretty happy to sleep away most of the day, and I assume greyhounds don't need as much room in the house as other breeds, so even a normal first floor might be fine for them if they can't get upstairs. But I worry about someone saying they live in an upstairs apartment, where there are stairs involved every time they go in or out.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

St Evan Echoes posted:

Abby is a good dog. Agree it’s tough watching them get old. It does have its benefits though! Even when they get really up there in years (had a 16 year old lurcher until last year) there are occasional days where they act just like a puppy all silly and full of energy for the day, and those days are among the most memorable you’ll ever have with them.

wyoming posted:

Yeah definitely, the last year or so of North's life, I would just take him for a walk around a nearby park without his leash on, I'd rarely seen him so happy. :unsmith:

The last year or two of my Peter's life, we had to go for slow, short walks with him, then bring Peter home so my other dog and I could take another, faster (and longer) walk. One day in the spring of 2016, Peter got a good head of steam going, and had a good, brisk walk all the way to his old turnaround tree and back. The entire walk, I was thinking that I'd better enjoy it, because it might be the last time he made it that far down the road, and it was. He kept up a good, quick pace the whole way there and back (about 3/4 of a mile round-trip), and just looked so happy and pleased with himself the whole time. It's one of my favorite memories of him.

Peter pic:

Peristalsis fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 8, 2017

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Hi folks, been reading through for a while and I think I'm determined to get a greyhound. I've had what was probably a greyhound mix in the past, judging by appearances and some mannerisms, and I think I am interested in the whole shebang, but I also want to make sure that I don't do the dog a disservice in not being ready to fully take care of him or her.

Basically, I will be getting my own place soon, most likely a multi-family housing unit, will be having a kid soon, girlfriend is not likely physically able to hold back a greyhound if he/she decides to chase while on a walk. I'm not sure I know what will constitute a large enough indoor space for a greyhound, I'm not sure whether I should be concerned with having a sighthound around a small child, and I will probably be the only one capable of exercising the dog. Am I in a position where I can/should accept responsibility for a longdog?

I think you should probably wait until you have the kid, and then see if you still want the extra responsibility of a dog. That will also let you test the dog with your actual, specific kid, instead of depending on the rescue to determine if the dog is generically kid-friendly. The greyhounds I've walked have never been a threat to pull away from their walker or knock anyone over, and I think it's unlikely that your girlfriend will have a problem walking a greyhound, unless she has some disability or something. That said, if the real issue is that your gf isn't really on board with the whole dog-ownership thing, I'd hold off until/unless she comes around. It sucks to be the only caretaker for the dog, and to feel like asking for some help with the walks or feedings is some sort of imposition. (E.g. what are your plans for the dog if/when you have to take business trips?) And it's not fair to put the dog in a position where one of its owners doesn't really want it around, or might one day insist that the dog should go.

I apologize if I'm reading too much into your post - something about it just seemed to me like maybe the dog would be your project, rather than a uniformly-loved member of the whole family.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Genovera posted:

Tess pics

Wow, that's a pretty active day of changing positions on the bed. She's gonna need a nap.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Xguard86 posted:

Do y'all's hounds ever drag on walks to a quality of life effecting degree?

I travel for work so my wife walks both our dogs and one of them has started dragging on the leash even from the start of the walk. Most stuff I find online is on pulling, not dragging so I'm not sure what to do.

There's no health issues and I haven't noticed it to the degree my wife is describing. We have a dog walker and my mom comes to walk them as well and I don't think they've reported these problems. Edit[oh they do have these issues but I guess aren't as reactive about it]

Now my wife is in this state where she dreads walking the dogs and gets extremely frustrated which I think is stressing the dog more and causing more dragging.

Edit: it is pretty hot here, I'm thinking she may just struggle with heat...

Both of my greys have gotten pretty slow as they got older. One was slow by the time he was 9 or 10, the other kept up a pretty good pace until he was 12 or 13. It turns out that the latter, younger one has esophageal paralysis, for which he had to have surgery. Basically, it meant that the flaps on his esophogus didn't move any more, and he couldn't close his throat all the way when eating, or open it wider to breathe more when he got hot. He ended up with a couple of bouts of heat stroke, both of which might easily have killed him, just because he couldn't breathe enough. If your dog has issues horking a lot when he eats, or other neurological problems, this might be worth considering.

Even if your dog's throat is fine, he may well be sensitive to heat, have some arthritis slowing him down, or just be old enough to need to plod along slowly on walks (or some combination of these). I know this is frustrating, but the dog can't help it, and I think your wife just needs to be more patient. I used to have one dog stretching his leash out in front of me, trying to get me to pick up the pace, and the other stretching it behind me, dragging rear end. I ended up having to take two walks every day - a slow, shorter one with both dogs, followed by a faster, longer one with just the younger dog. It's a pain in the rear end, but try to remember that their walks are the highlight of their day, and one of the few things they have to look forward to to break up the horror of lounging around the house all day.

Oh, I've also found that my dog walks differently with different people. In the 5 years I've had him, he has only voluntarily turned around to come home on a walk with me maybe a dozen times, whereas other people who walk him report that he gets bored and wants to come home pretty frequently. So it's believable to me that your dog might behave differently with your wife than with others. Can she try walking them during a cooler part of the day to see if anything changes? Can someone else walk the slowpoke while she walks the other(s)? I always feel really bad after I get frustrated at my dog during a walk - I can forget that for him, the walk itself is the point, not getting through it to relax or do other things, like I want to.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

number 1 snake fan posted:

Iceman gets pissed at me if i stop giving him skritches

He'll snap at the air and attempt to roach (can't anymore due to his enormous oblong ribcage and a spinal injury) when i try to get back to work after petting him

My Peter used to snap in the air to demand attention - I didn't realize other dogs did it, too.

So ... is that white striping part of the pattern of your rug, or did your dog pounce on a container of baby powder?

In other news, Ty turned 14 recently. I didn't get many pics, but this one came out as good as any.

(I was very careful not to let him too close to the candle in his cheeseburger before blowing it out.)

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

actionjackson posted:

Happy birthday! 14 is pretty impressive. I live in a very cold climate but Abby refuses to do the booties. So winter pretty much always sucks.

Ty is okay with me putting the boots on these days, but the front ones don't stay up well, and only stay on for a little while. I've tried at least 3 different kinds of boots for him, too.

actionjackson posted:

Any tips to get deep earwax out? Abby only gets wax in her right ear for some reason, and way at the bottom is some dark wax below this little ridge in her ear. I typically reach in with a little ball of toilet paper coated in the ear solution stuff. I can't use a q tip because she immediately starts shaking her head. I'm sure it's very uncomfortable (though she has no problem if I put my finger in there for some reason).

Ty actually was in pain several years ago from a wax buildup, and the vet had to clear it out while he was sedated for a dental. (The vet tech seemed impressed with how much they got out.) I have some solution I'm supposed to squirt in his ears and hold/massage in for a while before letting him shake it out, but I haven't used it in a while. I never noticed anything coming out from it, but I suppose it could be pretty hard to see, especially if it didn't come out in big clumps. If your dog won't let you squirt anything in, I'm not sure what else you can do, but you could talk to your vet about clearing it for her the next time she's anesthetized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.
I'm sorry to hear about your sick dog. I had a grey who had to have emergency surgery to tie open his larynx at age 12 or 13. It knocked him for a loop, to be sure, but he had some good months after that, and lasted on the order of a year before other issues forced my hand. Every dog and situation is different, of course, and amputation seems much more traumatic than neck surgery, but if he's in otherwise good health, others have had success with it on older dogs, and/or the vet thinks it's a good idea to try, don't refuse to let yourself consider it.