Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
They should have released it tomorrow when it will be McGann

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

marktheando posted:

Are you Steven Moffat's agent or something? It's not elegant at all to introduce something from out of the blue that contradicts stuff that has long been established.

You know like having two hearts or 12 regenerations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

marktheando posted:

Like the numbering of the Doctors.

:confused: He was never established as having a different number of hearts or regenerations though?

Yes he has. In Brain of Morbius it showed him having a shitload of regenerations before Hartnell. Also having two hearts is still a recon.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

Return of the Jedi, Attack of the Clones, and the Holiday Special, obviously.

Holiday Special, Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure and Ewoks: The Battle for Endor

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Throb Robinson posted:

Holiday Special owns. Haters.

Does the holiday special have Wilfred Brimley at his surly best or Burl Ives narrating it?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Riptor posted:

So are we 100% sure there's going to be a Christmas special this season? I haven't heard a drat thing about it being filmed

Yes

quote:

Amid much hype and speculation, Peter Capaldi was unveiled as the next Doctor during a special live television event on BBC ONE tonight.

Widely regarded as one of the biggest roles in British television, Capaldi will be the Twelfth Doctor and takes over from Matt Smith who leaves the show at Christmas.

Peter Capaldi says : “Being asked to play the Doctor is an amazing privilege. Like the Doctor himself I find myself in a state of utter terror and delight. I can't wait to get started."

Steven Moffat, lead writer and executive producer says : “It's an incendiary combination: one of the most talented actors of his generation is about to play the best part on television. Peter Capaldi is in the TARDIS!”

Doctor Who companion, Jenna Coleman says : "I'm so excited Peter Capaldi is the man taking on the challenge of becoming the Twelfth Doctor. With Steven's writing and his talent I know we'll be making an amazing show with an incredible incarnation of number 12. I can't wait to start this new adventure!"

Charlotte Moore, Controller BBC One says : “Peter Capaldi has all the genius and versatility needed to take on the mantel of the great Time Lord and make the role his own. He'll bring his own particular wisdom, charisma and wit to the Twelfth Doctor and take the show into an exciting new era.”

Ben Stephenson, Controller, BBC Drama Commissioning says : “We started thinking Peter Capaldi might be the right person to take on this iconic part a few months ago. But it was only when he did a secret audition at Steven's house under the cover of darkness that we knew we had our man. He's an extraordinarily talented actor who can seemingly turn his hand to anything. We can't wait to premiere his unique take on the Doctor on Christmas Day and we are sure he's going to become one of the all-time classic Doctors.”

Doctor Who is produced by BBC Cymru Wales

Also

quote:

Filming for the episode began on 8 September 2013. On 10 September, Matt Smith and Jenna Coleman were seen filming on location in Cardiff.The location was Lydstep Flats, which have been previously used in Series 1 and 2 as the Powell Estate where Rose Tyler lived with her mother Jackie.On 19 September 2013 there were scenes being filmed in the evening at Puzzlewood with fake snow being scattered over certain areas. On 5 October 2013, Doctor Who producer Marcus Wilson revealed via Twitter that filming was complete.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Here is a scene from the 50th

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dirt posted:

So I have been dipping into Classic Who recently, and I have a question:

I watched "The Five Doctors". Was kinda weird. What was the deal with Tom Baker not really being in it? Like he was "in the movie" but had no speaking parts.

He refused to be in it. He was the most popular one and the only footage they used was from the unreleased was from Shada. When they did photos of the five Tom was a wax statue

Tom Baker was Who's William Shatner

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dirt posted:

Edit ^^^ That's hilarious
Know of any reason why he declined?

He says it was to not overshadow David, but most likely it did not focus on him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Tornhelm posted:

As a non-American, neither can I. Both of the authors actually did something useful with their lives. Kennedy on the other hand was nothing more than a philandering prototype of Obama.

You know there was that civil rights thing. Also Cuban Missile Crisis.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Renzian posted:

This isn't Reddit. Could you quit acting like it is? Would be nice.

Anyways, about what the thread is actually made for: dunno what else to say about the 50th. I have my own theory about part of it, which is on the previous page, but I'm really wondering what surprises they have in store for us. I'm still hoping for a Hurt-to-Eccleston regeneration somewhere in the special.

Oh, also! Totally forgot; remember ages ago when we saw a screenshot of Coal Hill Secondary School sign (where Ian and Barbara taught), and it said "CHAIRMAN OF THE GOVERNORS: I. CHESTERTON"? I think we might just get an Ian cameo! At least, I hope :)

We did get one in Adventures in Time and Space. Also they have already made it canon that he never aged.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I assume they went a little nuts after the Name of the Doctor mistake

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Everyone thought it was Tom being Tom.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

James R posted:

It struck me as somewhat odd, since Tom Baker's Doctor seemed to imply that Matt Smith's Doctor was in his past.

He told him it could be his past or it could be his future. He was Tom being Tom.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Stairs posted:

4. River's Vortex Manipulator came from a "Dead Time Agent"...and so did Clara's. We never saw her give it back, either. Moffat doesn't put things like that in by accident, it's too coincidental.

They said in this episode it came from Captain Jack. The one that River got was from a dead time agent.

Also we have seen her parents and her as a baby. She can not be River.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 23, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Pops Mgee posted:

You saw Mels grow up with the Ponds. Do you really think Clara is going to regenerate into a little girl?

Also didn't river say the last time I did this was in a New York alleyway

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mavric posted:

Was Bad Wolf Rose supposed to be just an image or was she actually some kind of incarnation of super time vortex powered Rose from way back in 2005 influencing the past to save the Doctor from having to destroy Gallifrey? Cause that is kinda neat if they connected it all the way back to the start like that.

She said that she is from the past or maybe future. She gets confused.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Saeka posted:

Interesting photo from the official Doctor Who twitter: https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/404370080856678400/photo/1

Could that just be an old picture from Timecrash?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Fangz posted:

That's certainly the simpliest explanation, but the AI *did* however have Rose's memories and could reference Bad Wolf.

It's interesting to speculate what exactly we saw really. To what extent did the Weapon set up the entire thing? Like... where did the fez come from? Did it set up the entire thing with the paintings and the Zygons so that the Doctor would have a solution in mind? How were the previous Doctors brought into the final plan? The Weapon clearly did have the power to manipulate time, through the creation of the vortices...

The weapon worked with the TARDIS in order for the events to occur.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

How has Tom Baker aged the best of all the pre-reboot Doctor's besides McGann.

Sly has aged pretty good, and he was on of the highlights of the Hobbit.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

moths posted:

That's true, but doesn't that also clash with Smith being the last doctor? Unless Hurt regenerates into Capald.

We saw him regenerate into Christopher Eccleston

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

notsowelp posted:

No we didn't.

So I didn't see Hurt start to explode and see Christopher Eccleston facial features?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

jivjov posted:

I ran through it frame by frame and it cuts away before Hurt's features start to change.

Its pretty obviously Hurt turning into Eccleston and not him turning into anyone else.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I say BS. I do not think that anyone in the production would let any spoilers out.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Well those spoilers did get the name right so it could be right.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I love how people are saying its garbage just based off broad strokes. We have no idea how its going to play out.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Maera Sior posted:

Moffat has a poor track record when it comes to showing "ALL THE ENEMIES ARE HERE OH NO"(Pandorica excepted), so I'm not exactly hopeful that this one will be much better.

Yet this story does not look like it has River in it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Maera Sior posted:

Well, there is that.

I assume there will be a mention of her since they have to show him building the fake grave, but then again she could show up since she is still conected to Clara. They could also make him regenerate like 5 and River will be the last thing he sees.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Burkion posted:

Question. If this is, and has always been, the Doctor's last Regeneration, why would he fake regenerate with the robot body when River shoots him? Why would they go out of their way to say her poison will stop his regeneration when she kissed him? Why would he tell the Cyber Planner to leave or else he'd Regenerate and wipe him out?

If he did not start to regenerate then River and the Silent would know that something is up. They had to make it seem that he is dead. They also might not have been aware of the limits that are on him.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Varance posted:

I realized something in the car this morning... that Cyberman head in the Black Archive might've been Handles.

:stare:

If it was an old one then it was most likely one from The Invasion that the Brig took to use as target practice.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

I'd rather he didn't deal with it at all and leave it for someone else. He's basically taking everything he can from the toy box and just leaving scraps. I'd rather he leave some things hanging for the next show runner.

He is dealing with this issue that was going to come up and giving free reign for everyone that follows. There is a very good chance he will get rid of the limit and allow for the show to go on until it ends.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

There is also the fact that he is bringing back the time lords which have been basicly off limits for the last 7 years.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

smashthedean posted:

The episode taking place over 900 years also sticks out as kind of unlikely as I really don't see The Doctor just sitting around for that long when he just gained this new mission of returning to Gallifrey in the 50th.

But who knows I guess. The synopsis left a lot of information out that could end up turning what we have into a story that makes sense. I'm remaining cautiously optimistic that it will be good.

It could be that he knows that his grave is here. Like in Angels in Manhatten once he reads the future it has to happen. Since he knows that he is fated to die there he can not leave.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

smashthedean posted:

It also just seems like they've already packed a 1/4 of the Doctor's life so far into Matt Smith's regeneration (if he's in his 1200s and Tennant regenerated in his 900s) and it would be really weird if they added another 900 years to his time as the Doctor making Capaldi ~2100 years old.

The Doctor lies.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

Sure, but I mean, what's the purpose of even addressing the 13 limit otherwise, narratively? Because people are big on their weird canon? I know everyone seems to think this is an important part of Who Lore but the Master basically got an entirely new cycle with barely any explanation besides "Time War" and I'd frankly be fine with the same for the Doctor.

I suppose they could be introducing it for The Mystery of Where the New Regeneration Came From. I don't know, I guess I'll have to see how they play it out.

Yes but at that point he did not have any regenerations left. They said that the time lords gave him a new set, and at this point that is impossible to get.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

7thBatallion posted:

You're saying Ron Moore, that no-talent hack, the man that nearly ruined Star Trek, is doing a better job than Moffat? Man, you crazy

I guess he wasn't a writer on the good seasons of DS9 and TNG. That must have been another Ron Moore.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

7thBatallion posted:

He made The Chase. BSG barely makes up for it,

He wrote Family and Trials and Tribble-ations. He also wrote Chain of Command. I do not see how he almost destroyed Trek.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Four was judo-chopping bricks and it was awesome.

Six tried to kill Peri.

I am not sure if that was Regeneration Madness or Four being Four. It seems that he is just spending the entire serial trying to piss off UNIT.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hector Beerlioz posted:

They're just going back to the shows roots, quarries and all.

I demand more filming at quarries. They also need to bring back Andy Capp looking fellas and chases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mortanis posted:

Statues that only move when you're not looking at them grab you and drag you to 1966.

Yup. Even good episodes sound dumb when boiled down to fragmentary plot points. But it's very in right now for Goons to poo poo on Moffat, so they'll hate on it before it's even aired.

It's very unlikely to be worse than the Master eating people and making GBS threads lightning.

So we are not going to get a recap of the episode 20 minutes in :(

• Locked thread