Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maera Sior posted:

@DrWhoOnline
Can't say much more but we have been contacted by a couple of newspapers regarding some news that will be EVERYWHERE tomorrow.

Noooo, Matt. You can't leave us!

NOOOO MATT TURN LEFT TURN LEFT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The BBC has sent out a press release that is under embargo until midnight, so we've got a little under five hours until we get the news. And it's apparently big poo poo.

So, it's either that cache of missing episodes, or ... bye bye, Matt. :smith:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Welp.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

Isn't the Mail known to be full of poo poo though?

The Mail article has direct quotes from Moffat and Smith, though. Doubt they'd fabricate them.

quote:

Doctor Who is to undergo another regeneration – as Matt Smith has announced he’s quitting the role.

The actor is hanging up his sonic screwdriver after four years and will appear in just two more episodes: the keenly awaited 50th anniversary special in November, and the Christmas Day edition.

Smith, 30, said it had been ‘an honour’ to play the Doctor but added: ‘When you gotta go, you’ve gotta go.’

‘The fans are unlike any other; they dress up, shout louder, know more about the history of the show – and speculate more about the future of the show – in a way that I have never seen before, [their] dedication is truly remarkable.’

But he said he felt that Trenzalore, the planet that is home to the Doctor’s tomb, was finally calling him.

Steven Moffat, the show’s producer, said he would miss Smith, who had always kept him on his toes.
He said: ‘Every day, on every episode, in every set of rushes, Matt Smith surprised me: the way he’d turn a line, or spin on his heels, or make something funny, or out of nowhere make me cry, I just never knew what was coming next.’

... Matt :smith:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I hate that Matt's going out without ever facing the Master. :(

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

pgroce posted:

What about the recent lying bothers you more than the lying the production staff has done since the beginning of the show?

Yeah, it's not like RTD and staff didn't repeatedly say, "No, seriously guys, Chris Eccleston isn't leaving, he isn't leaving, David Tennant hasn't been cast, we love Chris and look forward to having him as the Doctor for many years to come."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

awesomepanda posted:

Something must of happened to push Matt Smith out of show. His departure seems so sudden and unexpected. It may be many years before we find out.

There was a rumor that Smith and Moffat had a falling-out over the plans for the 50th, as in Smith going, "loving seriously? That's it?" But, rumors are rumors.

In any event, my guess is that Smith made his decision sometime between the end of filming on Series 7 and the filming of the 50th special. That he's been so cagey about it for months (and that even the BBC announcement of Series 8 didn't specifically mention him in the cast) says to me that the decision was made a while ago, and they were trying (and failing) to keep it under wraps, so the BBC did what they did regarding Eccleston and said, "Yep, sorry, he really is leaving."

Porkchop Express posted:

So how is this gonna work now? It says he is only going to have a few specials, but I thought the newest season started well before Christmas, and the Christmas special is to be one of his episodes.

Filming of the Christmas special takes place this summer. They won't begin shooting Series 8 until either late this year or very early 2014.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gangringo posted:

The next doctor isn't likely to be anyone we've heard of. I mean look at what David Tennant and Matt Smith were up to before they got the role.

Eh, Tennant wasn't the known commodity that Eccleston was when he was cast, but he had Casanova and Blackpool under his belt, so he wasn't totally unknown, unlike Smith, who was a "who the gently caress is that guy?" choice.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

moths posted:

:eng101:Doctors Who

Is Moffat sticking around though?

Yes, Moffat is confirmed to be doing Series 8.

Also:

quote:

I'm bummed we won't get to see what a better show-runner could do with Smith.

I remember everyone saying the same thing about Tennant / RTD. :laugh:

Metal Loaf posted:

I think the split seasons were out of Moffat's hands, though.

It's probably six of one, half-dozen of the other. Budgets have definitely been an issue, but there have been multiple reports that Moffat is notoriously slow at writing scripts / revising other people's scripts (he supposedly got the 50th special script in only a few weeks before filming, which gave the design and costuming departments very little time to do their thing), and that between Sherlock and Who, he's just in over his head. I have a hunch that the reason Gatiss and Stephen Thompson wrote the first two episodes of the next run of Sherlock was to give Moffat time to focus on the 50th / Christmas specials and get working on Series 8.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I doubt they could afford him after Avengers, but Tom Hiddleston could be brilliant.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

thexerox123 posted:

Isn't the 50th special still more than a few weeks away from filming?

The 50th wrapped shooting on May 5. Location filming with Hurt, Tennant and Smith was done in the first few weeks of April (which is when we saw photos of all three, plus the Zygon), and then they moved to soundstages. Post-production will take a while, surely, and there's no reason they can't shoot a bit for the 50th while they film the Christmas special this summer (like how they shot the Hurt piece for The Name of the Doctor while they were making the 50th special) but the actual, "official" filming portion is in the can.

Timby fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 2, 2013

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bad Wolf? :what:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dirt posted:

10's pointy "front hair spike" is turned down. poo poo just got real.

Wasn't Tennant's hair down for pretty much the entirety of the second season? I don't recall him getting all spiky until he started running around with Martha.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Astroman posted:

I hope even more it's not the "insufferable twee I love traveling through space and time and it's all a big joke" Rose we saw in Tooth and Claw.

It's going to be season 2-era Rose. 10 is in his season 2 outfit and hairstyle, and that's the only time he was wearing that specific look while still traveling or doing anything with Rose.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

That's not a Doctor, that's Nick Cave. :colbert:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Twisted Perspective posted:

Run time 86 minutes?

There's an 86-minute cut that was certified by the BBFC last month for the theatrical showing of The Day of the Doctor; the additional ten minutes comprise a behind-the-scenes segment.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tomtrek posted:

I'd assumed that because Rose was coming back, we would be getting Series 2 Tenth Doctor, but if they're including all the Queen Elizabeth stuff then it must be post-Waters of Mars Tenth Doctor. So where does Rose come into it?

Based on the hairstyle and the suit and Rose's outfit, it's definitely Series 2 Tenth Doctor. I'm guessing Queen Elizabeth is just Moffat handwaving.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Where's my Eccleston :qq:

Busy trying to conquer Asgard.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Astroman posted:

At this point I'm barely sure why we even have a spoiler thread, since about all we know about the next episode is what we saw in an 11 second teaser trailer that the squares in the main thread didn't. :v:

Well, Capaldi starts shooting Series 8 in January, so I'm sure we'll have set photos before too long...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PriorMarcus posted:

Does he? It isn't meant to air until next August (!) so that's a lot of downtime for him between filming and the airing.

Doesn't it usually take six or seven months to produce a full 13-episode run, due to British union regulations? I seem to recall both Tennant and Smith citing the schedule (and the crimp it put on them taking other work) as the primary reason for them leaving.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

head58 posted:

Hartnell, providing the reverse perspective of his scene with Smith from AAiSaT.

That was my first guess, too.

But it's going to be River.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Coq au Nandos posted:

You're all over-analysing. It's going to be Tennant.

That thought crossed my mind, considering they did do some filming with Tennant in Smith's TARDIS on The Day of the Doctor, and it wouldn't be the first time this year they've gotten creative on that front -- The Night of the Doctor was filmed during the last two days of production on the 50th, and they shot the Smith / Coleman / Hurt sequence from the end of The Name of the Doctor during 50th filming, as well.

Of course, that would have required Moffat to have had the Christmas special script written all the way back in April (the 50th was shot in April / May, and I believe they filmed the Christmas special in September), which would be unlikely.

Timby fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 24, 2013

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

So, Philip Morris has recovered over 10,000 film cans from Africa and is currently sorting through them. Oh boy oh boy oh boy! :dance:

I believe this is the same find that got us Web of Fear and Enemy of the World, though. The "10,000 cans" rumor's been floating around for months.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PriorMarcus posted:

It's not meant to air until August. That's going to be a lot of downtime.

Not as much as you might think. While US television shows will often knock out a 40-minute episode in five or six days, it's a lot longer for British productions, due to union crew rules and the like. A thirteen-episode run of Doctor Who can take as long as nine / ten months or so to shoot (which is why none of the cast members stick around for more than a few years -- it severely crimps their ability to take on other work). When Series 8 starts airing, they'll still be filming the last few episodes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The article also confirms that filming will run through August, which feels just a touch short for 13 + Christmas. I wonder if they're going to put production of the Christmas special into a Series 9 production run.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

showbiz_liz posted:

Eh, I guess it's a 'series of episodes' but then, 1. so is any arbitrary number of episodes, including all of them and 2. what do British people call American 'series' anyway? Just 'shows'?

Programmes, I think.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

That ... well, that wasn't inaccurate. The Bells of St. John aired at the end of March, The Day of the Doctor was in Autumn, and The Time of the Doctor was at Christmas.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

marktheando posted:

And I don't know who Marcelo Camargo is, but the scripts have his name stamped on them. Whoever he is he won't be in his job long now.

Apparently he works in the BBC Miami office and actually put the Deep Breath script up on the local server.

That's pretty much a Darwin Award-worthy career suicide.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Exactly this. I forget the exact saying, but there's an old Hollywood saying that goes something like "Many a bad movie has been made from a good script, but there's never been a good movie made from a bad script."

I believe the adage is "if it ain't on the page, it ain't on the stage."

That being said, after reading the first few, I really have no problem with them. People are bitching about the Doctor battling Robin Hood with a spoon after they fawned over Tennant making a big dramatic speech and trying to make his Zygon detector go "ding" at a rabbit.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Barry Foster posted:

I don't actually remember DT doing that, though. He was pretty much DT from the start.

Barcelona! :haw:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Irish Joe posted:

Moffat is all over this season.

He did six episodes in Season 5, too. I wonder if he's so involved because it's a new Doctor again.

I also wonder if they've adopted American-style credits, in that if the showrunner comes in and does a rewrite, he gets a credit, too. (Sort of like how RTD rewrote Phil Ford on The Waters of Mars.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Guy A. Person posted:

And Moffat has always been about callbacks to the old series, definitely much more than RTD was (I guess with the exception of bringing Sarah Jane back).

Daleks, Davros, Cybermen, The Master, the Macra, Autons, Sontarans, Nestene Consciousness?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Forktoss posted:

Do we know the order they're filming in, is this for Moffat's Ep 1 or something else?

Allegedly they began shooting Episode 4 today.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So they just started shooting the finale ... and Davros' chair and costume, normally on display at the Experience in Cardiff, was taken down over the weekend.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I think Moffat put the Zygons in Day of the Doctor specifically because they were Tennant's favorite monster.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HD DAD posted:

Preview synopsis for next week's episode:

Looks like Mark Gatiss has been watching Event Horizon.

This is the one that's rumored to be shot entirely in first-person, right?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fixed. ;)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Hahahaha of course. I'm willing to bet the Mondasians are just an extended cameo now.

I honestly forget the difference between the Cybusmen and the ones from Nightmare in Silver -- was it that the latter were slimmed up a bit and given that blue light on the chestpiece?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I actually like Age of Steel / Rise of the Cybermen and the Doomsday episodes a lot because I feel there is genuine body horror going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

thrawn527 posted:

That...that's exactly what's going to happen, isn't it? This sounds exactly like a season reveal of the show.

It's plausible but I feel like that would be far too downbeat for a Christmas special.

• Locked thread