Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Music of Eric Zann is definitely about horrible things beyond man's ken

But those horrible things are not personified and brought into the story. They just exist on the fringes as what is essentially window dressing.

That's why the Time Lords and Reapers fall flat. They're brought into the story in a way that demands specificity. Specificity diminishes them. But without it, they're just generic ciphers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

I know she's American, but Kate Mulgrew would make an excellent Rani if they wanted to bring the character back to its supposed thematic origins.

Missy will not be the Rani because there's exactly one good idea buried in The Rani and it's not there in any of Missy's appearances. It's probably going to be a new character. Maybe it'll be Death, who is so in love with the Doctor because of all the people who die around him and there'll be more hand-wringing.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Burkion posted:

So I keep trying to work out how the Cybermen are connected to Paradise and Missy and I just don't get it.

We see Missy with the Doctor apparently, so she may not be working with them...

Could the Cybermen of some how created Paradise to draw in other beings?

I'm not sure they're on the same side-- Missy seems to be all about endings. The Cybermen are about postponing those as long as possible. I suspect that she's going to get involved mostly out of irritation at these cyber-fucks keeping people from dying, and the doctor will have to deal with the fact that Death is super into him in a sex way because he kills so many people and dooms so many others.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

The Senator Giroux posted:

What WAS the thing with the badge? I've heard it brought up but I don't think I've ever heard what it was supposed to be.

Rory's badge has November 20, 1990 listed as its date of issue. A lot of people made a lot of this, especially since Moffat had teased at one point that Amy would actually be from the mid-nineties. This turned out to be one of his coy little half-lies, in reference to the fact that the Doctor first meets Amy in 1996. When she's the wee Amelia Pond.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Honestly I would buy Moffat being so up his rear end that he'd do it. But on reflection, this next episode and the final two parter apparently constitute a single, huge, freaky-as-gently caress cyberman story. Even if the next episode only leads into it and isn't part of the same arc (ala Utopia), it'd gently caress up the finale's drive way too much because of clutter.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Go on fun adventures with the Doctor and not get weighed down by a dumb metaplot?

It'll never happen. Doctor Who is bizarrely wed to the semi-serial model even though it's basically never worked cuz its wide demographic appeal means it has to make the semi-serial stuff broad and basic enough for kids to get. I hope I'm wrong, but pretty much every season (or half-season) has had this since the revival.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

holy poo poo

It's not that surprising. The bright red lining is kind of a signature thing for Crombie, and Crombie coats/jackets were a big thing in the world of punk/alt/whatever culture when Ferguson and Capaldi were in that band together.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Popular with mods and skinheads, IIRC (like Doc Martens, Fred Perry shirts, Sta Prest trousers, bomber jackets, parkas and braces), and of course there was a mod/skinhead revival going on when Capaldi and Ferguson had their band (the Jam, Secret Affair, Madness, the Specials etc).

Yeah, 12 was originally styled in a very classic skinhead way (they backed off on that after the first promo shots. The cardigan is apparently crucial when talking about this). There was actually talk that that was the core idea-- He was a Skinhead 3 the same way that 11 was a toffish oxbridge take on two's styling and personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Could you give us some examples? And the 'Skinhead 3' take on Twelve's outfit if possible, I really want to see it. As far as I know, the first picture of Twelve's outfit we got was the one with his hand held out to the camera, which didn't strike me as especially 'punk'.

Skinheads were more of a working class outgrowth of the mod movement, but Craig Ferguson rocked a skinhead influenced look when he and Peter Capaldi were in The Dreamboys together. This was around the time that Post-Punk and New Wave were coalescing though.

Republican Vampire fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 19, 2015

• Locked thread