Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, Gatiss has said on a couple occasions that he has no interest in being a full-time showrunner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Everyone forgets CGI Snake :(

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

PriorMarcus posted:

Simm isn't the only Master whose back. Though you're eventual appreciation of this fact will depend on how you felt about Tarkin in Rogue One.

Oh god; I hope they aren't making CGI doubles of Ainley and Delgado. Tarkin was barely out of the uncanny valley, and the BBC Mill doesn't have nearly the experience that ILM does.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

Episode 9 is primed to annoy the hell out of me.

That's not a conflict.

The Doctor does not favor humanity blindly.

If humans are being dickheads, he will stop them. That's just a moronic problem.

It's a Gatiss episode, so hopefully it's a bit more nuanced than the synopsis suggests.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I mean...Forest of the Night wasn't horrible....up until the "Hey kids, don't take medications!!" moral.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

The one girl's sister randomly showing up at the end was weird.

That's kinda par for NuWho, I've found. Every so often we just get a really saccharine moment like that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
That's a bit more than a "slight misstep"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It'll be a puzzlebox. Thing back into cracks, silence, etc

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If they don't cast a woman, that's fine....but saying that doing so would be confusing to kids....that's just insulting.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Except we totally knew about Tom's cameo, cause Tom gave an interview where he said "they told me not to tell anyone. But I'm Tom Baker and I do what I want. I'm in the 50th"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bicyclops posted:

I remember thinking "I should dislike him for this, because the cast and crew have worked really hard not leak spoilers so it will be a surprise for people," but that was literally what he literally just said "I'm not supposed to tell anyone, but I'm doing it anyway," and I only was excited about it.

Yeah, it's hard to be mad about cameo spoilers when the spoiler is the subject of the cameo

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Guy A. Person posted:

That's fair I guess, I thought the reference to visiting the companions like 10 did at the end of RTD's run implied that he was talking specifically about companions/recurring supporting cast. I don't remember him visiting many people outside of the core companions.
Non-televised material establishes that his companion tour was literally every single companion he'd ever had. There's even an audio story of him visiting Jago and Litefoot.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I don't want the Curator to show up in the lineup anywhere near the current incarnation. Like...he should be the 84th Doctor, not merely two regenerations removed from when he and 11 met in the Gallery.

I'm on board with the idea of a nostalgia trip for Christmas, up to and including explaining Capaldi's presence at "no sir...all THIRTEEN!" and David Bradley cameoing as the 1st Doctor...but I really hope Moffat can resist the urge to do any of the other crazy stuff suggested here.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, look at the pointer finger of the actor's right (our left) hand; definitely gloves.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It would absolutely be a Master-like thing to do to mess with the Master's redemption.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
"And so it came to pass, that on Christmas Day, the human race did cease to exist"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Having the 1st Doctor show up is so very very Moffat, and I am all for it.

How many different actors have played 1 now?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Nah, Cushing was Doctor Who, along with Michelle Gomez :v:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I wonder if Big Finish will ever try to bring Bradley in as the 1st Doctor, or if they'll keep on with the impressions of Purves and Russel and all.

There's at least precedent with Treloar as 3.

Edit: also I find it interesting the Big Finish just recently put out a story dealing with the 1st Doctor's reluctance to regenerate in the second 1st Doctor Companion Chronicle set

jivjov fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 2, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
On set photo:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Riptor posted:

It really is incredible how horrendous that first promo picture of Matt Smith was given how incredible he ended up being

Yeah, that reveal image was completely unlike the style and tone of 11's run (especially the first season). That's why I'm not gonna put too much stock in however they introduce 13.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Possible exception being the Matt Smith cameo

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

PriorMarcus posted:

No that's still fictional. It's Hartnell the actor seeing his legacy carried forward 50 years. It's touching. Not a hint that Hartnell really was a Timelord.

I'm not saying he was a time lord. But was he seeing Matt Smith on set? Or seeing the 11th Doctor?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

Matt Smith.

Why would he be seeing the 11th Doctor?

Because that scene already breaks the bounds of realism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Astroman posted:

No War, No 12, not canon.

:colbert:

They did a No sir, All 13! Set I think. I know for sure there's one with War.

• Locked thread