Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PriorMarcus posted:

If you mean Sarah Jane then yes but if you mean Jack then he was an RTD companion even if he was introduced in a Moffat episode.

It was the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah. Whatever criticism you have of RTD his cast of side characters was much beloved and memorable than Moffats. I can't imagine anyone giving a poo poo about Capaldi visiting anyone.

It was kinda cool that RTD had more of a continuity between the companions and could bring them back for guest episodes, I def miss that. But if you think Amy and Rory are less beloved and memorable than like Martha Jones or Rose's mom or Donna then just c'mon dude

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Guy A. Person posted:

It was kinda cool that RTD had more of a continuity between the companions and could bring them back for guest episodes, I def miss that. But if you think Amy and Rory are less beloved and memorable than like Martha Jones or Rose's mom or Donna then just c'mon dude

He said side characters my man.

Amy and Rory are not side characters. That'd be like, their parents.

Rory's dad would almost count if he was actually in anything much.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

He said side characters my man.

Amy and Rory are not side characters. That'd be like, their parents.

Rory's dad would almost count if he was actually in anything much.

That's fair I guess, I thought the reference to visiting the companions like 10 did at the end of RTD's run implied that he was talking specifically about companions/recurring supporting cast. I don't remember him visiting many people outside of the core companions.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Guy A. Person posted:

That's fair I guess, I thought the reference to visiting the companions like 10 did at the end of RTD's run implied that he was talking specifically about companions/recurring supporting cast. I don't remember him visiting many people outside of the core companions.

There were a few, but the most notable one that came to mind was the woman related to the nurse the Doctor fell in love with when he was human.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Guy A. Person posted:

Non-televised material establishes that his companion tour was literally every single companion he'd ever had. There's even an audio story of him visiting Jago and Litefoot.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

jivjov posted:

Non-televised material establishes that his companion tour was literally every single companion he'd ever had. There's even an audio story of him visiting Jago and Litefoot.

Which retroactively makes way more sense when you realise he's going into his last ever regeneration.

"I don't want to go."

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

Which retroactively makes way more sense when you realise he's going into his last ever regeneration.

"I don't want to go."

Ha, I never made that connection. I like it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

Ha, I never made that connection. I like it.

I don't get it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Senor Tron posted:

I don't get it.

As RTD and Tennant did it, it was just kinda maudlin. As far as we (and they) knew, there were still several other Doctors ahead. Moffat did the trickery with War and the Double 10 which meant that 11 was the final Doctor. By virtue of retcon, 10's farewell tour was him saying goodbye because as far as he knew, he'd be regenerating for the last time, possibly into the Valeyard.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

It's explicitly stated in Sarah Jane Adventures by the 11th Doctor in the episode he comes in for. Takes place just before A Christmas Carol after he set Amy and Rory off on their honeymoon. Written by RTD, too, actually.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

So... here's my understanding of the Christmas special.

Twelve trust Missy at the end of this current series and it leads to a lot of chaos. She betrays him and kills a lot of people. He dies but chooses not to regenerate.

Moffat views Twelve as the Doctor that's so desperate to be a good man and see the good in others that he makes a fatal mistake. I think this is kind of cynical and nasty for Who but whatever.

The Christmas special is basically a Christmas Carol again with Capaldi reflecting on his past, present and future. Get ready for Bradley as Hartnell in his past with special guest star Susan. Bill as his present. And then we meet the new Doctor as his future with hints of what's to come.

This is Moffats love letter to Doctor Who with appearances from all past Doctors in some form. The return of the idea of the Doctor leaving a scar when he dies that traces his life.

The big twist is that you won't just meet one future Doctor but a couple. The Curator returns? Maybe. But I think it's literally two new actors showing up as the next two regenerations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The idea of Capaldi's Doctor being that desperate to see the good in others doesn't really jibe with his characterisation thus far, where he seems capable of immense compassion in the abstract but doesn't much care for people up close. Then again I guess it'd work for him and the Master specifically, and the current situation with the vault I think is kind of a neat reversal of the series 8 finale where Missy tried to turn the Doctor evil. I guess he resolves whatever havoc Missy causes in the finale and dies at the end, then the Christmas special sounds like maybe some weird internal dialogue with himself where he decides whether to regenerate? I hope there's a callback to Matt Smith's regeneration episode in the form of some laughably mild reference to Christmas

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

PriorMarcus posted:

The big twist is that you won't just meet one future Doctor but a couple. The Curator returns? Maybe. But I think it's literally two new actors showing up as the next two regenerations.

That seems completely bizarre. What happens if the second (14th Doc?) actor decides he doesn't want to set aside three years of his life at a TBD date down the road or dies or something?

The logistics of keeping under wraps two Doctor castings alone :psyduck:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Casting the next two Doctors at once in his last episode is the most Moffat thing ever.

He had a huge bucket list of things he wanted to do as showrunner, and even moved up the end of the Regeneration Cycle via retcon to ensure he was the guy who would handle that. While the idea that the BBC (and an actor) would commit to a 14th Doctor in 3 years option, it's not entirely a shocking idea knowing Moffat.

One possibility is that the 14th Doctor will be the real next Doctor, and the 13th will be short lived, appearing in just a couple episodes with a bit of offscreen stuff implied for future possible BF adventures.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
For the love of God Marcus please don't do this

This season wasn't terrible until the last three episodes started droning on come on please tell me you're joking

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Haha I just thougt of something else:

The showrunner who cast the most Doctors was John Nathan-Turner, who took over during T Bakes era, and cast Davison, C Bakes, and Sly.

Moffat was on track to only cast Smith, but when Smith decided to leave he cast Capaldi. Then due to Eccleston bailing out (possibly due to his dislike of Moffat), he got to cast War.

Now ostenibly, Chibnall is casting the new Doctor. But if Moffat throws a fakeout one-off 13th Doctor in there who dies in the same episode, he will have solidfied his title as Bestest Showrunner Ever because he got to cast 4 Doctors as well as run the 50th, come up with an idea for a new regeneration cycle, did a Multi Doc episode, did an Every Doc episode, multi Master, Daleks, Cybermen, Mondasian Cybermen, MtF Time Lord regeneration as canon (something bandied about since the 80s), show the 1st Doctor leaving Gallifrey, brought back Gallifrey, etc etc.

He is making drat sure nobody can touch his legacy by doing every Big Thing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I honestly hope Chibnall erases big chunks of Moffat-era stuff just to read Moffat's reactions

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Astroman posted:

Haha I just thougt of something else:

The showrunner who cast the most Doctors was John Nathan-Turner, who took over during T Bakes era, and cast Davison, C Bakes, and Sly.

Moffat was on track to only cast Smith, but when Smith decided to leave he cast Capaldi. Then due to Eccleston bailing out (possibly due to his dislike of Moffat), he got to cast War.

Now ostenibly, Chibnall is casting the new Doctor. But if Moffat throws a fakeout one-off 13th Doctor in there who dies in the same episode, he will have solidfied his title as Bestest Showrunner Ever because he got to cast 4 Doctors as well as run the 50th, come up with an idea for a new regeneration cycle, did a Multi Doc episode, did an Every Doc episode, multi Master, Daleks, Cybermen, Mondasian Cybermen, MtF Time Lord regeneration as canon (something bandied about since the 80s), show the 1st Doctor leaving Gallifrey, brought back Gallifrey, etc etc.

One good thing about Moffat leaving is that it'll mean no more posts like this.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Moffat made trans regeneration canon because he didn't want someone else to have the honour of doing it (???) and wants to get to cast four actors for the same part which will mean he is a great show runner (??????????????????????????????)

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Astroman posted:

Well he's failed, hasn't he? For one thing, future show runners still get to play with the matter of properly bringing back and explaining the Valey-

PriorMarcus posted:

The big twist is that you won't just meet one future Doctor but a couple. The Curator returns? Maybe.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...d.

No no no no go away and leave some plot lines for other people you greedy bastard you haven't cared for the ones you essentially namedropped just so they'd forever be associated with you stop it just stop it

I hope I'm wrong.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Could be worse. One of them could be the Valeyard.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Do The Hundred Doctors, with all the Doctors he could possibly regenerate into. Also make the Valeyard a time remnant :unsmigghh:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Honestly, I don't believe a word of that.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Would make sense if The Curator is the 13th Doctor, then regenerates to 14 after passing off the painting.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I don't want the Curator to show up in the lineup anywhere near the current incarnation. Like...he should be the 84th Doctor, not merely two regenerations removed from when he and 11 met in the Gallery.

I'm on board with the idea of a nostalgia trip for Christmas, up to and including explaining Capaldi's presence at "no sir...all THIRTEEN!" and David Bradley cameoing as the 1st Doctor...but I really hope Moffat can resist the urge to do any of the other crazy stuff suggested here.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I'd like to predict how it will end: the Doctor is trying to decide whether or not to regenerate and his conscious mind is lying down and dying in an imaginary Tardis like the end of Heaven Sent, when suddenly the Tardis doors open and in strides... the new Doctor (let's say Ricky Gervais) who gives him a pep talk, which ends with 'Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Doctor, we've got work to do."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Astroman posted:

One possibility is that the 14th Doctor will be the real next Doctor, and the 13th will be short lived, appearing in just a couple episodes with a bit of offscreen stuff implied for future possible BF adventures.

I could definitely see this being possible, and would allow a fun celebrity casting for the 13th Doctor (similar to John Hurt). Someone who wants to play the Doctor, but isn't going to commit to a full season. One or two episodes, then boom, Hugh Laurie is dead, 14th Doctor's a-comin'.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I liked the War Doctor, and appreciate the solo nature of his stint now that Hurt got some audios under his belt before his passing. It made sense within the ambiguous nature of the existing history for him to fit in there. But it's a bit of a unfortunate cheat for me to see them do something like that again. It feels like a disservice to burn through a regeneration like that... Unless they pull a fast one on us and use it to finally introduce the Valeyard. Since, like the Time War, it deals with an existing plot hook which can finally be explored.

12 regenerates, something goes wrong with that regeneration forcing him to regenerate one more time. That failed regeneration and actor sticks around as the main villain for the season, while the "real" next Doctor carries on. So the story arc for next season would be something like the Doctor's "evil" side running around as the Valeyard, and his "good" side running around as the official next Doctor. The Doctor then has to somehow bring himself back together. They could also use this plot to finally explain or tie into the Watcher. They could really get weird and bring Tom back as the Caretaker, have him regenerate into the Watcher and then peace out back into his own past to help himself? Chibnall would probably be out-Moffating Moffat at that point.

Teek fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 8, 2017

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

2house2fly posted:

I'd like to predict how it will end: the Doctor is trying to decide whether or not to regenerate and his conscious mind is lying down and dying in an imaginary Tardis like the end of Heaven Sent, when suddenly the Tardis doors open and in strides... the new Doctor (let's say Ricky Gervais) and shouts "ARE YOU 'AVING A LARFF??"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Teek posted:

I liked the War Doctor, and appreciate the solo nature of his stint now that Hurt got some audios under his belt before his passing. It made sense within the ambiguous nature of the existing history for him to fit in there. But it's a bit of a unfortunate cheat for me to see them do something like that again. It feels like a disservice to burn through a regeneration like that... Unless they pull a fast one on us and use it to finally introduce the Valeyard. Since, like the Time War, it deals with an existing plot hook which can finally be explored.

12 regenerates, something goes wrong with that regeneration forcing him to regenerate one more time. That failed regeneration and actor sticks around as the main villain for the season, while the "real" next Doctor carries on. So the story arc for next season would be something like the Doctor's "evil" side running around as the Valeyard, and his "good" side running around as the official next Doctor. The Doctor then has to somehow bring himself back together. They could also use this plot to finally explain or tie into the Watcher. They could really get weird and bring Tom back as the Caretaker, have him regenerate into the Watcher and then peace out back into his own past to help himself? Chibnall would probably be out-Moffating Moffat at that point.

I don't think Chibnall is going to get moored into a lot of continuity issues like that. It sounds like they want him to write a dashing young man going on adventures. I don't mind a nostalgia tour for Moffat's finale (I still don't like other actors playing the parts of deceased Doctors, but whatever), particularly for the Christmas special. Susan coming back for an episode would actually be lovely. Casting two Doctors seems too weird to do for the BBC, so it would be some one-off that Chibnall would basically have to erase quickly, which I don't like. The Curator can come back, I guess, as long as he's as mysterious and unexplained as he was before.

The Doctor trying to see the good in the Master and the Master using it to kill him doesn't seem like a terrible idea, depending on how it's executed. I don't know why there's so much trepidation here. The only stupid thing sounds like "Meeting two future Doctors," the rest of it all just sounds like it will depend upon the execution, and it's also what we probably all vaguely suspected, given the trajectory of this season, and the nature of Moffat as a showrunner, Christmas specials, and the major changes the show is going through. Of course it was going to be a bit of a retrospective, of course Missy has been pretending to reform and taking advantage of the Doctor's good nature so she can wreak havoc, probably in a way that specifically hurts the Doctor.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It will be interesting to take stock of the entire Moffat era once he's done. Hard to believe it has been seven years.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It's interesting to me that we know Capaldi is leaving and we know the new doctor has already been cast but there's no clue who it is

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

thrawn527 posted:

I could definitely see this being possible, and would allow a fun celebrity casting for the 13th Doctor (similar to John Hurt). Someone who wants to play the Doctor, but isn't going to commit to a full season. One or two episodes, then boom, Hugh Laurie is dead, 14th Doctor's a-comin'.

Hmm...

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/1668039/the-big-actor-that-doctor-who-has-twice-tried-to-cast-as-the-doctor

As to a one and done 13th being The Valeyard, I could see that, if only because Moffat is a continuity nerd enough to go there, would want to be the one to address it (and it's pretty much the last chance numerically to do so), and he already namechecked The Valeyard on screen.

Michael Jayston is still alive, how's his health? Does he still act?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Steven Moffat should just get the gently caress over it already and declare himself the next Doctor.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It would be a fun culmination of his themes about the interaction between stories and reality to insert himself into the narrative as the 13th Doctor. Perhaps Capaldi dies as a result of some mistake, and regenerates into Moffat who asserts authorial control and says THIS is what he should have done. Of course, this doesn't go well, and he learns that even though he was in charge of the show for a while Doctor Who is not HIS, and he lets it pass into the arms of Chibnall with the birth of the 14th Doctor. A bit Dark Tower.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The generation will take place over the entire length of the finale. We'll be dealing with a half 12 half 13 hybrid in pain.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Capaldi regenerates into the Valeyard who fucks around for a bit before the next Doctor shows up with a Capaldi from the past who they defeat together, then the new Doctor mind wipes Capaldi and the Valeyard regenerates into himself

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Guy A. Person posted:

Capaldi regenerates into the Valeyard who fucks around for a bit before the next Doctor shows up with a Capaldi from the past who they defeat together, then the new Doctor mind wipes Capaldi and the Valeyard regenerates into himself

John Simm's Master, Missy, and Derek Jacobi's Master team up to defeat The Valeyard after Capaldi regenerates into him. Surprise appearance on video screen by CGI Ainley Master because after all, "a cosmos without the Doctor scarcely bears thinking about."

:boom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Astroman posted:

John Simm's Master, Missy, and Derek Jacobi's Master team up to defeat The Valeyard after Capaldi regenerates into him. Surprise appearance on video screen by CGI Ainley MasterSnake because after all, "a cosmos without the Doctor scarcely bears thinking about."

:boom:

Good, but I made it better.

• Locked thread