Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Emerson Cod posted:

Clara on her own doesn't really add much.

I just think the writing hasn't given her much to do. Now that her mystery is solved I hope we see more of an "Oswin" side to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Royal W posted:

It was never on the fritz. She always takes the Doctor where he needs to go. :moffat:

There was also the time when the Doctor said he purposedly left it on random.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure she's confirmed for season 8 already. She might work better with a good Doctor to play off of.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I honestly wish Moffat would troll the speculators by getting some unknown extra in a Doctorish outfit for a single sneak peak trailer scene.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I really, really hope Tennant isn't coming back. Nothing against him but I'd stop watching due to what that would mean to the series.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I can't believe they kept that end cameo under wraps.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Davison looks pretty drat good for his age too.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

Even as someone who's been okay with a lot of Moffat's work, I think he works better when he's more restrained. His work under RTD is some of my favorite stuff from the revived series; its when he's given free rein to indulge himself that things get out of hand.

I think RTD suffered from similar. The 9th Doctor series was pretty tightly done (despite the farting aliens) even in the RTD episodes. Tennant's first run was also REALLY good, including the RTD bits. It seems during Tennant's second run that RTD was given a lot more free reign and that caused a lot of his episodes to devolve into garbage (Last of the Time Lords, for instance.) Let's not even get into the season of specials that capped off Tennant's run.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

From the official Who facebook page:

Well, I guess the next season is definitely a hunt for Gallifrey.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

It looks like Capaldi will keeping the same console room for a little bit. I like that, I feel like we barely got to know the current one.

Tennant kept the coral design as well and the current one is partly in response to how hard the previous one made filming. I could see the BBC sticking with it for a while.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
To be fair to RTD a lot of his decisions actually made for a great background mythos at the time. Moffat's reopening old doors for the sake of storytelling since he sees potential in it.

It's actually all very clever: RTD introduces the time war and other concepts so the new series has a clean break for new viewers and Moffat slowly reintroduces the old ideas in ways that the new audience can get on board with.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

E-- I mean of course these eps. will find fans. Even really defensive fans. First rule of Who and all that. I just don't think anyone but the most die-hard of supporters are ever going to proclaim these episodes are on the level of The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances which was a high watermark for the entire franchise.

My favourites of the post-revival for sure.

"Dalek" is up there too. The ending is a little silly, but the build up is so beautifully done and the stupid part is extremely short.

I also have a soft spot for Gridlock. I'm not exactly sure why as it's very peak RTD yet for some reason in that episode all the elements fit together nicely.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah. There was the framework of a decent story in it, but by god did it need a good editor.

You could cut a good half hour from it and end up a with much tighter, more focused and overall better episode.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

PassTheRemote posted:

Sometimes I wonder why have these extended episodes.

Last season I felt like one or two 2-parters would've helped the stories immensely, but then I realized Moffat's bad about picking which scripts get that treatment. I mean Cold War could've been excellent if it was a two parter. Use the first one to let the audience get to know the crew and slowly build the tension so we actually care somewhat when the ice warrior starts killing them off.

Moffatt really needs a script editor that can tell him when a story needs tightened up or when it needs room to breathe. The biggest issues of his seasons are pacing related.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

7thBatallion posted:

Just watched Deep Breath again. Jesus loving Christ, the cartoon sound effects are infuriating.

They really are the worst part.

Capaldi's regeneration sickness bits are quite good but those sound effects ruin so much of it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rita Repulsa posted:

I have not wached classic who, but I find the pictures of the old school cybermen with the giant life support machines hanging off of them rather haunting.

The handles and thing on their head made far more sense and was creepier when it was an extremely low tech vocalizer strapped haphazardly on their heads.

Yeah old school cybermen were really awesome since they were essentially walking corpses. Basically they were people who went to such extremes to "survive" they can't even tell that there's not much left of who they were. They didn't go around just randomly converting people; it was all about what benefited them and kept them running for just a little longer...

(And I liked the drat gold dust weakness. It had some logic behind it and wasn't silly like Nightmare in Silver.)

Edit: \/ What? It worked fine for giving them an Achillies' Heel. Nightmare in Silver missed the entire reason they were adverse to gold.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 5, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Spoilers Below posted:

I love these Cybermen. They scare the poo poo out of me, the way the Cybermen ought to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBHGbBJwyh0

Yeah, I really love the early cybermen. Those voices and the fact they still vaguely resemble humans makes them far creepier than the more robot-looking later versions.

And yeah specifically I was talking about the gold DUST thing. Not the stupid all gold hurts them idea.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Gaiman's script was written really early on back when it was apparently Victorian Clara who was travelling with the Doctor. Moffatt obviously made huge changes to the season's overall arc at some point which meant Nightmare in Silver's changes occurred too.

The only parts of that episode that really feel like a Gaiman idea are the theme park setting and Warwick Davis' character.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Spare Parts is just so loving awesome. One of my favourite Cybermen stories despite just being an audio drama.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'm starting to wonder exactly what The Promised Land is. We've now had too episodes with robot-crewed spaceships trying to find it (originally during this last episode I was suspecting it might be the SAME ship in a different time period) and neither one being able to find it though it looked like the castle ship knew where it was.

My first thought was it might be Gallifrey, but I don't see why robots would be looking for that.

I do feel it would be far more interesting for Missy to not be a villain for once. Having the mysterious plot arc character be heroic or a misguided good person is less common in Who.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

HD DAD posted:

I can see how it could be taken that way, but I took it more as "dates are boring, come rob a bank with me, isn't this awesome?".

Couldn't he be stealing her from Danny fir the adventure and that's what the line refers to?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The build up to Closing Time's ending is decent, but The Lodger is the superior episode with Craig by far.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Danny's cyberman outfit is a full suit with a half transparent mask from what ive read so I'm leaning more towards dream sequence personally. That just doesn't seem like something they'd do.

Also it's in a graveyard full of tombstones of people the Doctor knew. Amy and Rory's is there but so is Thomas Thomas which wouldn't make sense for a New York cemetery.

Of course it could just be prop recycling.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 17, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

PriorMarcus posted:

That hasn't been confirmed.

Only one source leaked it (with everyone else just echoing them) and they've got a high failure rate so we really have no idea.

EDIT: \/ I was just clarifying.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 26, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Harlock posted:

I think that would be it for me.

Me too. That's just going past meta to dumb.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Chex Warrior posted:

So... if the finale is Cybermen then Missy is Mr. Clever, right?

That seems more likely. A part of the cyberplanner that got a little warped by being linked to the Doctor.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I actually didn't mind the first two Master episodes RTD did (I mean this was a beautiful way to sum up the Simms' Master) outside of JesusDoctor.

But once he started having a backstory it did all fall apart.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

I'd be happy with Invasion Cyberman

You can't help but love those guys.

I always liked the pipes running along their legs. The look just made their outfits really appear to be extreme life support units, including cyber-braces.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Well, she is The Master which is better than some of the other options.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Skarosa was the dead guy.

Skarosa is also the cyberman in the office with Clara, if the nameplate is to be believed.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It really doesn't confirm Clara leaving, but it would be extremely dumb if she stuck around after that finale.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
He could then grab Dalek Oswin and have a cyborg Odd Couple.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The new ones in general just don't look very scary. Even the Cybus design had enough of a creepy factor.

Bright shiny robots just aren't that frightening.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Harlock posted:

Just retire the Cybermen for good.

But then they'd have to come up with original monsters and we can't have that...

(Original monsters was one of the things this season did pretty well with I think.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
It didn't really sound like the Doctor was threatening him though. My guess is whoever Frost really is is actually benevolent but uses Santa as a disguise for some reason.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Moffat's fine when he's writing a few episodes here and there but him as showrunner has really highlighted his weaknesses, especially when it comes to longer story arcs. He also tries to overcomplicate things and make them seem too clever when really the best Who stories don't rely on extremely complicated plots.

RTD produced a similar mixed bag, but I'll give the guy credit for knowing how to build up an ongoing arc.

EDIT: \/ eh, the arc word idea worked fairly well. I give you that some of the arcs had horrible resolutions but the build ups were done well.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 20, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Harlock posted:

The show doesn't feel as fun anymore. It feels to have undergone a pretty tonal shift.

Yeah. I couldn't put it into words until now.

But the show's so wrapped up in its moral dilemmas and tragic stories that it's become weirdly soulless.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The stories have definitely taken on a very formulaic approach of:
1. Doctor/Clara arrive
2. Mysterious monster killing people
3. Doctor figures out twist behind monster
4. Doctor/Clara saves day

It's getting really predictable.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Bicyclops posted:

That's my feeling, actually. I liked Clara this season, but they've set up her departure and I think any more will be drawing it out.

Pretty much. The Danny thing and aftermath is the perfect time for her to leave.

Let the Christmas special end in a way that lets her part from the Doctor on a happier note, but that should be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Amy and Rory had a really strong first season, an okay second one and a horrible half season that never should have happened and is a blight on their (and Smith's) run.

• Locked thread