Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Gau posted:

Count me as one of the people who wants Hurt to be the ninth incarnation. The idea of Eight fighting in the Time War always just struck me as...goofy. I like Eight, but Paul McGann vs. Daleks is just not something I can envision.

You should listen to some of the Big Finish audios - especially the later ones. He can really turn on a dime and suddenly become very shouty and frightening. He's the stereotypical 'nice' incarnation, but he's definitely got a mean side to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

jivjov posted:

Man, you're The Doctor. You were there, man! You should tell us what went down!

They didn't ask this particular one back.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

There's one last bit of good news before Matt Smith's lamentable passing, and I think I'll be safe enough to tell you guys in a couple of weeks.

I'm really going to miss him.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Gally posted:

I dislike the idea that the terrible thing the forgotten doctor did was end the time war. The Doctor has taken credit for that one, over and over again. It would just seem odd to me if he distanced himself from that incarnation so much, but yet freely volunteered the information about what he did over and over. Which would mean that what Hurt's Doctor did was far worse than ever genocide of his own people. :ohdear:

This - it's not at all in the character of the Doctor to not own his actions, for better or worse, and he has owned up to the war hundreds of times. The only way it makes sense is if he did something even more heinous than multiple genocide, and then it's really not a great direction for the character to go in. He's not meant to be the Darkest Ever Heart of The Universal Storm, if you ask me. Occasionally morally ambiguous, but not flat-out evil.

00Kevin posted:

There's something to be said for the narrative idea that McGann's charming, lighthearted, and optimistic Doctor was the one to face the full horror of the Time War. Kinda like how the worst poo poo seemed to happen with the Fifth Doctor. I don't know, maybe Eight started the war and Hurt finished it.

And this - I much preferred the, for the lack of better term, character progression between McGann and Eccleston.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

I'm thinking we won't, the 50th will probably see Matts exit.

Matt Smith is confirmed to be leaving at Christmas.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Dear Doctor Who Spoiler Thread,

They're not going to be doing the Valeyard, and they're not bringing the Rani back.

If either of these things happen, I will happily give anyone who predicted either thing Two British Pounds.

Sincerely,
Barry Foster

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Teek posted:

While I doubt the Rani will ever come back, the Valeyard got a name drop in the most recent episode so I wouldn't entirely discount the possibility.

That was an inconsequential name-drop nod to the fans. They're not going to be dredging up some relatively obscure stuff, from the worst period of Doctor Who history, to serve as the focus of the series. It'd alienate the majority of the viewing audience.

Especially considering they're already doing the 'a version of the Doctor but evil' thing for the 50th, and they're unlikely to drink from that well twice.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Noxville posted:

Daniel Rigby is the guy from the BT ads? Hope it's not him, I wouldn't really be happy with a Doctor whose smug face I'd want to punch in. Not so soon after Tennant.

I'd not seen him in anything before (don't watch telly really), so I started looking at clips on youtube. I agree that a lot of the time he seems pretty irritating, and seems to lack the gravitas required for the role - but it looks like he did an absolutely spot-on Eric Morecambe in that recent drama. He's utterly unlike himself, if that makes sense - and that could bode well for how he would portray the Doctor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhhUF60QtXg

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Pyradox posted:

Ideally there'd be no more benefit to having a female Doctor than a male Doctor, because there's no reason the character has to be exclusively male when they keep saying that he could be anything at all. But the reason I want one and think any diversity at all to the role would be a great benefit is to do with the show's message:

The core theme of the series is that the role of the hero is not a result of superficial things personality or looks or dress sense. No matter how much those change between his regenerations, the show's titular character is still The Doctor because every Doctor so far has always been devoted to the same goals and the same promise. They all seek to help and inspire others, right wrongs and fix broken things and essentially that's the only important part of the character you can't change. He isn't a hero because he's smart, charismatic or well-educated, but because he dedicates every waking moment to helping others and making the universe a better place.

That's what his companions really get from travelling with him. He shows them a better way of living because no matter where they come from, whether they're men, women, smart, stupid, alien or human, they can all be as heroic as he is. This was actually a major plot point towards the end of the RTD era.

So if the show is all about how anyone can make life better for everyone, why should the person teaching that lesson always be one particular kind of person? Wouldn't it be more in keeping with the theme of the show that the Doctor could literally be anyone as opposed to just any white male from the UK?

Yeah, this. There's a brilliant post from the other thread about how it's weird that a character that is pretty much defined by being mercurial to the extreme and overstepping every tedious normative value hasn't been a woman yet. All of the qualities listed above are not exclusively 'masculine', they're just the best qualities human beings can strive for, regardless of gender, sexuality or race. I do understand the argument that the Doctor is one of the few male role models in popular culture who wins the day by being clever, kind and non-violent, but I don't think male children are so dumb as to not see the value in those things coming from a female character.

EDIT - well, that tweet confirms it's not a lady, anyway....

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

It appears that one of the stuntworkers has accidentally revealed that the Cybermen will be in the Christmas special:

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who/27135/has-the-doctor-who-christmas-special-monster-been-revealed

This doesn't necessarily mean they're going to feature prominently, but I'd say odds are that they're the major villain in Matt Smith's swansong.

Yawn. Hopefully they'll just be a bit part joke like they've often been recently, because they haven't once been interesting in the revival (no, not even the bit in The Pandorica Opens).

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Blah blah Puzzle Box blah. I really hope he gives this stuff a rest when Capaldi takes over (he won't).

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Kevos Setzer posted:

Edit: Now that I think about it, I'd like to know how they fit Frobisher in. I don't know how the Doctor would find out about that, but Frobisher did seem like a decent guy placed forced into a shitpile of a situation.

Moffat's probably referring to Capaldi's role in The Fires of Pompeii.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

HERAK posted:

And the Doctor knows about the events of children of men from the last time he met Jack.

Does he? I don't remember it being mentioned.

I know Moffat mentioned Torchwood in the article, I just meant that when he brings it up in the series (and I do wish he wouldn't, it's something that just doesn't need to be explained) he's probably going to refer to Capaldi's previous role in Doctor Who, not its spin-off.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Teek posted:

http://www.scottishdailyexpress.co....again-and-again

Nothing huge in that per se, more a reading between the lines thing. Davison seems awfully knowledgeable about Moffat specifically doing something about the 12 regenerations thing. And with the rumors of Davison reprising the role of Omega in the 50th special, a episode which would seem to address regenerations with the Hurt thing, that would seem to help the "Davison is in the 50th" idea.

I love that the person writing that article repeats, over and over again, that 'there can only be 12 Doctors because he can only regenerate 12 times'.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Burkion posted:

Wait but that would mean there could only be 13 Doctors because if you can only regenerate 12 times...

Or is that :thejoke: ?

it is indeed.

I mean, I assume the fuss is from the fact that Hurt's pseudo-doctor is going to count as another regeneration, making the 12th the 13th, etc, etc. But nowhere does the article mention this.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Ms Boods posted:

I can't remember the episode off the top of my head, but there's at least one Patrick Troughton one where he addresses the audience (not part of the episode; it was shown prior, I think) to tell the kiddies that this week's episode is really scary, and their mums and dads might get really scared, so they might want to take hold of mummy or daddy's hand to reassure them. :3:

Well that's just made my friday night.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Tomtrek posted:

Painting of older Doctors being part of the plot? Interesting...

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I don't care who he plays, I would be over the moon if Nick Cave turned up in Doctor Who.

Maybe he could play an itinerant singer and do a rendition of The Ballad of the Last Chance Saloon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGHiew5fDZA

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

2house2fly posted:

God though, I hope there's at least a brief "just because you're not musical!"-style bickering session.

I can see Ten complaining about Eleven's dress sense.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

zamiel posted:

Mirror has an article saying Matt Smith makes an appearance at the end of Adventure in Space and Time where he "meets" Hartnell.

This is true!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

PAUL MCGANN!!!

I am so utterly stoked about this

EDIT - I never, ever thought we'd see the Eighth Doctor again, let alone see him regenerate. Wow.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 14, 2013

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I'm also still not over the moon about the retconned in Doctor, but for whatever reason seeing McGann again has softened me somewhat to the idea.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

How has Tom Baker aged the best of all the pre-reboot Doctor's besides McGann.

...he hasn't? At least, I don't think so. Sly looks more like his old self. Tom looks like my Nan.

C.Bakes has, lamentably, aged the worst though.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

That's an awful lot of wrinkles on his face for a guy in his late 20's/early30's. Did they morph parts of Capaldi's face onto him or something? Because otherwise that just looks really weird.

The last few years haven't been too kind on Matt Smith. Whether that's down to generally getting older, the workload, or excessive partying (I hear from someone who works on the show that they all do a lot of partying), who knows.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I don't want [him] to go :(

Pretty conventional duds, Capaldi. But I think I'm ok with that.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Actually, the more I look at it, the more it looks like something a gameshow presenter would wear.

Hopefully it works better in motion/with whatever eccentricities are included on the front.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Martha Jones is actually a Rutan, though.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

It does feel right that Matt 'friend to all children' Smith's Doctor gets to be a puppet in a Punch and Judy show for his regeneration episode.

EDIT - Who wants a trailer? Who wants even more creepy voices reciting rhymes about the Doctor dying?

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/video/the-time-of-the-doctor-trailer/

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 11, 2013

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

I don't usually begrudge RTD but his botched regeneration thing pisses me off.

It was a staggeringly cheap cliffhanger, yeah. And made the Tenth Doctor look even more of an arsehole than usual.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

To be fair, having him have the typical post-regeneration trauma from a full regeneration would probably waste time that he didn't have.

From the character's perspective, maybe, although he basically says 'I like who I am now too much to change'. But what bugs me far more is that RTD should never have written that situation at all. The whole getting half-shot by a Dalek while running in slow motion thing, the whole fake regeneration thing, and the whole dildo-doctor thing. It's big dumb cheap ideas all the way down. It's Russell 'The' Davies at his most half-arsed.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Davros1 posted:

I don't know, I think the whole "River Song is suddenly part Time Lord and can give her regenerations to the Doctor to save his life" far more annoying.

That was Moffat at his most half-arsed.

Recurring villains and regeneration bumpf, two things that have a nasty habit of being crap.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I'm in the middle of some pretty stressful poo poo right now, but you lot are making me laugh out loud. So thanks for that.

EDIT - VVVVVV Stop, you're killing me

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 9, 2014

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Let's hope this was a passing thought to answer an interview question and not an idea that will percolate:

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2014/01/doctor-who-steven-moffat-tempted-to-bring-river-song-back.html

No More.

(*shoots wall with laser gun*)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Davros1 posted:

It's funny, when BF got the license back in '99, they got together a bunch of writers to propose storylines, and Moffat was one of the writers present, but left shortly into when it was revealed that only Peter, Colin, and Sylvester had signed on. Apparently he wasn't interested in writing for any Doctor other than McGann . . . then never did one when they did get McGann. Which is strange considering how much he loves Peter.

Also, that meeting had the :psyduck: moment of Paul Cornell being a dick to Nick Briggs.

BF wanted to get their first release out as soon as possible, so they went with a writer who had experience writing Doctor Who (the Audio Visuals fan audios) and more importantly, writing in the audio medium. So Jason Haigh-Ellery and Gary Russell chose Nick Briggs. Which Cornell took great offense at. Since he had been one of the tentpole writers on the NAs, he felt the writer of the first one should have been "special", and told Briggs "frankly, that darling, that ain't you."

Considering how awful Cornell's "The Shadow of the Scourge" was, I think BF made the right choice.

To be fair, The Sirens of Time was also pretty much shite.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Strax is definitely a one-note character whose every line is the same joke but I have to admit that for some reason I'm not tired of the joke yet. His Sontaran style "Don't use cell phones, but do enjoy some popcorn!" was one of the highlights of seeing DOtD in the theater.

Yeah, agreed. Strax is be the kind of recurring one note character that usually makes my toes curl, but for some inexplicable reason I still find him funny.

It helps that his actor is really clearly having poo poo loads of fun with the role.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Classy but bland. Might be owning myself there though, because apart from the waistcoat and the long collared shirt, the Doctor now dresses exactly like me.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

The lack of tie or something is really bothering me. Either undo the top button or wear something around your neck. To me that always looks really awkward.

It seems to be A Thing at the moment, I see a lot of younger people doing it.

Being a not-younger person I do, of course, think it looks idiotic.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

James R posted:

I distinctly remember hearing Paul McGann talking about how he wanted to have the Doctor in a leather jacket and trousers etc, with short hair, but was made to wear his costume and have the fake hair/wig attached then the show rebooted and BOOM Eccleston is in the exact costume and hair he wanted!

He referred to it as 'wanting to get in touch with the Doctor's inner binman' :allears:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

There's some footage of that photographed scene here

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/peter-capaldis-doctor-who-sports-3098140#.UvE-sPtjBO9

Capaldi's Doctor, it seems, is not the huggy type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Teek posted:

I guess of interest to Danny Pink, there's a character called Colonel Blue in an episode.

http://primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk/doctor-spoilers-michael-smiley-make-guest-appearance-series-8/

So it's Moffat being cute with names, or him being especially cute with some actual color themed arc in the show.

Oh poo poo! Tyres is gonna be on Doctor Who!

Few more guest stars and Doctor Who's gonna have the set.

• Locked thread