Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

I've heard all of those, and actually relistened to Creatures of Beauty recently, and never realised the top two. Awesome.

Vulva was in Doctor Who too. So we just need Mike, Brian and Twist. And maybe Dwayne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Box of Bunnies posted:

What a load of bollocks. He's clearly the Rani.

He is a Rutan. And he's going to have a fist fight with Strax.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

So there's a rumour going around that the first three or four episodes of the next series will be about Clara having to re-teach the Doctor how to be the Doctor, presumably because of some post-new regeneration cycle :techno: that makes him all amnesiac or something.

It's a pretty generalised internet one, not one from people I personally know, so take it with a pinch of salt - but it does seem like the kind of raking-over-the-sandpit-to-better-suit-himself thing Moffat likes to do, does make Super Companion Clara once again vital to the Doctor's life, and the dialogue at the end of the last episode does kind of point towards it.

I hope it's bolllocks, though, because poo poo sucks.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

WhoIsBarryBostwick posted:

Yeah. I think the idea was that once you confessed some misdeed to a Silence priest, you would forget you ever did it.

Thereby making the whole act pointless. Not much thought put into that one on Moff's part.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Followed a link from there to pics from another shoot, wherein the Doctor and Clara are apparently visiting A Sand Planet.

Just look at that craggy bastard :allears:

More here.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

They're not doing the Valeyard. They'll never do the Valeyard.

What Moffat is doing is re-re-raking the sandpit, because he's

Stairs posted:

smearing his clever all over it.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Chex Warrior posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the Emperor/PM/President/whatever of the Daleks from Asylum, as the line seems to be a callback to that episode's revelation that the Daleks have a concept of beauty (hatred).

I'm 100% sure that's exactly who it is, yeah.

The Daleks are meant to turn up in the first couple of episodes, so presumably the new, scary Doctor's gonna go all medieval on them and Dalek Cameron will be all like 'good, feel the hatred flowing through you'. Then, no doubt, Capaldi will throw his lightsaber away at the end of the episode and say 'no, I remember now - I am the Doctor, like that guy before me, and he never would', and that'll be that.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Ohh boy, this thread is not filling me with much hope.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Martout posted:

It would be the most dry and cynical episode of Who in history and instead of hiding behind the sofa to escape the monster of the week, kids would just experience pangs of existential dread. Also it would probably be great!

To be fair, part of what Brooker loves (despite himself) about Who is how it's generally upbeat and optimistic. It's one of the few things that can penetrate his flinty hate-filled heart. So he'd probably make the effort not to make it too bleak.

Besides, have you seen A Touch of Cloth? That's just non-stop dumb gags, it's amazing and not miserable or cynical at all.

EDIT - dammit, now I really want to see a Brooker episode of Who, cheers

EDIT EDIT - He is basically this thread incarnate, it's pretty great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79XAEN9gAx0

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 9, 2014

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

thepokey posted:

So we have seen a very different 12 from episode 1 to episode 2 with a few people commenting that episode 1 had remnants of Matt Smith still there. Could that be completely intentional now as part of the regeneration he was still slowly shifting from one personality to the other as opposed to a sudden change? I guess the remaining episodes will answer that when we see if he bounces between the two. But I can look on the first episode in a better light if that is intentional. Either way, like others said and like any Capaldi fan was sure would happen - he did act the gently caress out of episode 2. Also yay Tyres from Spaced and Dolourus Edd!

That may well be the case - there's precedent in Moffat's run, at least. Matt Smith was doing a pretty overt Tennant impression in his first episode, and was certainly playing it completely differently by The Beast Below.

I don't actually remember DT doing that, though. He was pretty much DT from the start.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

qntm posted:

The weird thing is that those episodes were shot out of sequence. The Eleventh Hour, for example, was the fifth full episode that Smith shot. If he came off as Tennant-ish, it certainly wasn't because he hadn't "found" the character yet.

Yeah, exactly, it was pretty obviously a conscious decision on his/Moffat's/the director's part. Which is cool - I really like the idea of a weird transitional phase, it's sort of a nice mini-tribute to the preceding Doctor and also serves to ease the audience into the new one.

See also Castrovalva, where Peter Davison does his best Hartnell, Troughton and Baker impressions.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Republican Vampire posted:

Back when the scripts first leaked, a lot of these lines just seemed so Smith to me. Really easy to imagine with that sort of flippant upward inflectio and stop-start thing he does. But having watched the leak it's clear Capaldi's made it his own. They come off as a lot more abrasive, dismissive, and contemptuous than they would coming from Smith. Also, the Soldier thing some people have brought up isn't so weird. He's fine with Soldiers when it's a paramilitary he's been part of (UNIT) but that hypocrisy is baked into the relaunched Who and probably actually makes some sense as he's all hosed up inside from the Time War what with his emotions and all.

ALthough really, it just seems like a lazy way to set up drama with Danny once he comes aboard.

I've only skim read the first script and watched a couple bits of the first episode, but is he an unrepentant arsehole 100% of the time? Even the grumpy Doctors like Hartnell or Eccleston were usually relatively outgoing, kind and friendly.

I always said that 'Malcolm Tucker in time and space' would be a really lazy direction to go in, and I hope that's not completely the case.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

vegetables posted:

What frustrates me is that the basic idea of the Cybermen is such a rich seam to mine in terms of new and interesting stories, while "here are some robots who are a bit faster now" is, well, less so. I genuinely think the concept of the Cybermen is strong enough to support an entire series on its own, but you'd never know it looking at the past 46 years.

If they did something like that picture of a modern update on the very old style Cybermen that floated around these threads, it'd be amazing. The body horror element would fit pretty comfortably in with modern Who, you can imply a lot without full-on slasher-style gore with decent writing.

thrawn527 posted:

Wait, people don't like Closing Time? Huh.

A bunch of joyless mother fuckers in here.

Closing Time was pretty fun, but the Cybermen were pointless and poo poo in it.

Harlock posted:

I'm the most excited for Kill the Moon. It sounds neat. Also the tree thing seems a little weird. Kind of grasping at ideas.

It reminds me of Geoff Lloyd's idea that he wanted to pitch back when the revival first started, which was about a bad guy who can control Britain's pets :ohdear:.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 20, 2014

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Alternatively Moffat could just resist the urge to give the Doctor a loving origin story involving Clara.

I'd settle for not giving the Doctor a loving origin story at all.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Laivaren posted:

Is it just me or does the series 8 episodes all feel rushed, like too fast paced?

No time to dwell, just set-up, action, conclusion, done.

It's the single most off putting thing about the current era of Who for me.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I haven't seen the episode yet. You've got to be loving kidding me.

If you're not, then I don't think I'll bother with the episode. Or with this series anymore.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

moths posted:

A non-fan would likely do a better job than Moffat. I feel like one of the biggest issues with the show right now is that it's gone "too sci-fi" and painted itself into a corner where every story has to be moon dragons or Cyberman legions. It watches like a fanboy's fan fiction, and I've given Moffat too many second chances. So I'm done.

And lol at the false dichotomy that Moffat abd RTD are the only people in the world.

See, I don't think it's 'sci-fi' enough. I mean, yeah, it has all the sci-fi props and trappings of moon dragons and cyberman legions (both of which are crap), but there are very few actually interesting ideas going on. There's nothing really meaty, there are few moral or philosophical problems (despite this season's ham-handed 'is the Doctor good?!' thing, or aforementioned moon dragon bollocks), and there're few more high-concept 'what if?' scenarios (bar Flatline, which was an awesome idea that still could've been pushed further).

I want my Doctor Who to be more challenging, basically. I want more stuff like The Girl Who Waited or the Flesh Two-Parter or Midnight or Vincent and The Doctor. The 'darker and more mature tone' of this last series wasn't really anything of the sort, it was just the same old stuff except this time done pretty joylessly.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

moths posted:

I mean more that if you remove the sci-fi props and stage-dressing, there's nothing substantial left.

Really good sci-fi tells a story through the lens of the fantastic, but it just feels like they're paying more attention to the lens than the story. Instead of "How can we use the Master* to tell a great story?" they're asking "What do we have to write to have the Master onscreen?"

(*Or Cybermen, or Clara, or whatever else.)

In that case, we agree entirely.

It's such a shame, too, because the format allows literally infinite story-telling potential. Yes, Doctor Who is about as far from 'hard' sci-fi as it's possible to get, but that doesn't preclude telling good sci-fi stories.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Spatula City posted:

oh my god yes, she was great. I want more Shona. :3:

Definitely. Twelve needs his own Lucie Miller, she's the kind of companion who would properly call him on his bullshit.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Missy, she's back!

Michelle Gomez is completely insane. It's pretty cool.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

So, two things. Firstly, this coat:

Introducing Peter Capaldi as Jon Pertwee, indeed.

That coat looks ace on him. Definitely makes the whole ensemble pop a bit more, it was pretty boring before (when it wasn't appalling, looking at you holey sweater and polka dot shirt)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

computer parts posted:

Only the pre-11 doctors lost their memories though.

I think it's mentioned very briefly in Time of the Doctor that 11's pretty hazy on the whole thing. He's fairly sure he's saved Gallifrey at the start of the episode, but isn't 100% on what exactly happened.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I'm ready for a new Doctor. I'd quite like a less-sure-of-himself Doctor this time. More nervy, bookish. Less gung ho. Like Five but less boring.

Twelve is in many ways a complete gently caress up, but he still struts around telling people how great he is (or rather, how poo poo they are). Capaldi seems like an awesome bloke, but his Doctor's unrelenting dickishness is getting pretty tedious IMO.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Welp, River Song is coming back for Christmas.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

It seems possible, based on Capaldi's comments and trailers, that Clara actually leaves/bites it/goes to a parallel dimension with a human Doctor in this coming episode. Which will be a bold move if true.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Drive by fact drops are lovely, but they have cast the new Doctor. He's been cast since before Peters departure was announced. No idea who.

"He", eh?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I feel like I'm the only one who thinks David Bradley just didn't quite capture Hartnell. His voice, especially, not only doesn't sound much like Hartnell's (which isn't necessarily a problem) but doesn't even really evoke him, either.

It was a fine performance, don't get me wrong, but kind of only in and of itself. IMO, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I'd really like another relative unknown like Matt Smith, to be honest. Capaldi is obviously an incredible actor but I still struggle to look at him in Doctor Who and think 'The Doctor' rather than 'Famous Actor Peter Capaldi', whereas it's the other way round with Smith. But that might just be a failure of imagination on my part.

• Locked thread