Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

HonorableTB posted:

Oh man, I hope they go that route people seem to be talking about where Hurt's Doctor is the real 9th Doctor. It wouldn't even be disagreeable with established canon as far as Smith being 11, because of the dialogue at the end where Smith said "You didn't do it in the name of the DOCTOR" which leads me to believe that, Time Lord regeneration or not, you don't count as a continuation of that specific Time Lord unless you maintain the promise you make when you take your name.

I could see less number fuckery with him being 8 in his later years.

A theory I liked from the old thread is that the Doctor played good little soldier in the Time Wars. He did a lot of horrible poo poo to the Daleks and for the Time Lords, and he lived a long life through the whole of the Time War.
Then, something happens and he concludes the only way he can really "end" the war is a time lock. He locks both sides in an endless time loop. Maybe, realizing what he's done, he wanders the universe, ashamed, and somehow dies. Ends up as Nine, goes to Earth, meets Rose, and does his best to forget that time ever happened. Explains his almost PTSD-nature. He's done some horrible poo poo, so he disavows the later half of his life (i.e the "900 years old" constantly being said to be inaccurate).

What makes me feel this could be true is that Nine was so ready to eradicate the Daleks in the first NuWho finale, but then he has a change of heart. A few thousand human lives worth more than the Daleks? Or maybe he knows how easy it is to slip back into his old ways? So he doesn't do it. And when he regenerates, this time he can do it with a clean conscience.

Although if the "McGann regeneration" scene is true, that won't mesh and maybe the "He was stripped of his title so there are only 11 DOCTORS, but 11 regenerations total", but this makes Matt the Valeyard, because it's his penultimate regeneration.

SombreroAgnew posted:

Baker, McCoy and McGann have denied it repeatedly and were in Australia during filming, but filming a brief cameo wouldn't take long and they could have just been covering. I'd say of everyone Baker is the least likely though, have you seen that guy?

I could see this being plausible if even only as minor cameos.

I mean Eccleston didn't want to do the whole ep but who knows if he just walked out or if someone said "Can we at least get a 30 second shot of you post-regeneration, since we never gave Paul McGann a proper one into you?"
I loved Nine, so I'm just getting my hopes up :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

EvilHawk posted:

He never actually says "new face" IIRC (and I just watched the episode a few days ago, so I hope I didn't miss it). He looks into a mirror and comments on his appearance, but that doesn't mean it's the first time.

Every Doctor in the new series so far has made some comment about their physical form after regenerating.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

Obviously the real reason the Doctor loses 50 years of age between the old show and the new is that one of the battles in the Time War clearly cut out a 50 year slice of time from the universe.

And it's such a massive loss of potential life that despite doing it for peace and sanity 8 felt he no longer deserved it.

It's okay guys I figured everything out.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

gently caress the haters, that joke always makes me chuckle :colbert:

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I have a friend who gets crazy angry over the joke and anything that suggests the character's name is Doctor Who.

Obviously I have to go out of my way to refer to him as Doctor Who, because it's funny. It's a cute joke and not a strictly bad idea to fold the title into the plot, though I would assume the answer would also be the end of the series.

You could also point out that up until the 80s, and then again until the second season of the new series, he was credited as "Doctor Who".

I think the last time he was credited as the Doctor in the old series wasn't even on TV. It was in the press packet for the movie that called Eight "The Doctor".

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

^^^
:colbert: Anti-Dentite.

Rhyno posted:

Or someone REALLY well known like Patrick Stewart.

And it turns out they're just a bit part.

Like Patrick Stewart is literally credited as "well dressed extra" in the credits.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Wolfechu posted:

Radio Times claims classic Doctor in 50th Anniversary special.

Wouldn't they know for sure? I mean, the Radio Times is still in-house, right?

I could see McGann showing up.

Davison has showed up before, but I dunno if he'd be up for it again. Both Bakers look nothing like they used to and if they showed up, it WON'T be as the Fourth or Sixth Doctor.
Sylvester McCoy is still active as an actor so maybe, but McGann has outright said he'd love to be back they simply hadn't asked him at that point.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

DirtyRobot posted:

Hurt regenerates into Capaldi, 9, 10, and 11 are simply erased from existence.

But I liked 9 and 11 :(

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

"The Doctor and Computeress Get Mandark"!

And then the Master said

And then the Doctor said

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

An Adventure in Space and Time is really good, you guys.

David Bradley is absolutely fantastic as Hartnell.

And not to spoil anything but I kind of teared up at the very end. I won't even put it in tags, but it's really a great moment.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

He didn't bail. he turned down the offer flat out, which he had every right to do, since he's not contractually obliged to do poo poo for Who anymore.

sure it's a bummer, but at least he got a nod.

He always gets a nod!
But yeah it's not like he told Moffat to get hosed. Unless literally everyone is lying (and they have every reason to, what with publicity and all, but still) he thought it over long and hard before eventually saying no.

Still, would've been nice if they CG'd maybe a reverse of 9 -> 10. Ah well.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Dice Dingus posted:

It is, but it also seems like the sort of thing Chris would saunter up and ask for royalties over.

Well they've full on showed his face before so it's not like they avoided Nine.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

Obvious awesome implications, or awesiplications?

1) Rassilon is going to come back.

2) Depending on the timing of the Timey Whimey ball on this, but so is The Master.

3) The revived Time Lords are likely going to be the main counter versus the revived Daleks.

I'm a little confused on how the Daleks ended up wiped out in this version of events, "everything" seems to be literally "everything" the Daleks had but how would that literally wipe out their whole civilization? Ten even says they would call for reinforcements if they "knew" so what happened to the reinforcements?

Well I think the Daleks didn't have literally EVERY LAST DALEK fighting.

That said, if Three Doctors would call in the cavalry, I think thirteen would make the Daleks just go "You know maybe peace isn't such a bad idea".

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

There was some half-asses reasoning about the radiation and holding it in for so long. 9 to 10 wasn't explosive, and War-9 wasn't either.

Also thanks for making me miss Matt again, you jerk :(

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

ProfessorLoomis posted:

I think alot of people in this thread are beginning to bitterly protest the basic tenants of storytelling and science fiction altogether.

It's so stupid that the main character doesn't die when pitted against impossible odds.

It's not like he's the title character or something.

Rhymenoserous posted:

It was explicitly stated in the episode that he'd forget everything that had happened that day. So he'd go on thinking Gallifrey was destroyed until his next regeneration when he saves it. It's basically so they can keep all the crap that happened prior "Cannon".
Only 1 n in that type of canon. Also, this is how multi-Doctor stories ALWAYS go. "Only the latest one remembers".

quote:

I don't get why everyone hates on Tennant so much, I thought he did a great job, though I do think several of his storylines were gawdawful. I could have used considerably less Mary Sue Piper though. I was drat sick of Rose by the time she left, and I was annoyed any time she'd show back up.
Well to be fair it wasn't Rose. It was the Moment personifying itself as someone important to the Doctor...just a regeneration early. She plays much better as a sentient war machine rather than the totally-not-his-girlfriend Companion.

That said, I love Tennant, and the special is part of why. It's him being the Doctor. Not some goofy love-struck idiot, not Time Lord Victorious borderline evil, not a moping sadsack because Rose is gone. He's doing what he does best and playing off the other Doctors so beautifully. We only see him in prime problem solving/adventuring mode.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

jivjov posted:

Except Time Crash, where the information to save the day came from nowhere.

That, again, happens in multi-Doctor storylines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So this is kinda interesting:

I loving love the phrase "regeneration madness". Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't 4 and 6 both have something of that? 10 just fell unconscious for the better part of 24 hours, and 11 just had his tastebuds go all wonky.

edit: Also zooming in on the teaser image for The Time of the Doctor reveals some interesting stuff too. For instance:

2 minutes to 12. Yeah, that's not intentional.

I saw some blog posting about this and all they said were "IT'S ALMOST MIDNIGHT. WHAT DOES IT MEAN. DOES MIDNIGHT MEAN SOMETHING? IS IT SIGNIFICANT?"

No I'm pretty sure that's because it'll be TWELVE o'clock.

• Locked thread