Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes he has. In Brain of Morbius it showed him having a shitload of regenerations before Hartnell. Also having two hearts is still a recon.

Similarly, had the respiratory bypass system been mentioned before "Pyramids of Mars"? What about the Doctor being able to regrow limbs if he lost them soon enough after regeneration? I'm pretty sure writers have been making stuff about the Doctor as they go along since the programme started.

I mean, just because something's not explicitly mentioned, it doesn't necessarily preclude its possibility, does it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

marktheando posted:

But in a show as long running as this with so many tv stories, novels, audios, comics, video games where the writers obviously don't (and have never) given a poo poo about the canonicity of anything don't you think it's a bit silly to even think about whether something is officially canon or not? Can't you just enjoy the stuff you like and ignore the stuff you don't like?

Let me tell you a tale of terror, of a place known only as Wookieepedia...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Plucky Brit posted:

Reading Wookieepiedia was great! I learned that the Emperor actually cloned himself a bunch of times and managed to corrupt Luke, thus making Vader's sacrifice in RotJ utterly pointless.

Also reading that Chewbacca dies when he's crushed. By a moon.

Did you get to the bit where Han and Leia's son trains his dead brother's girlfriend as his Sith apprentice, and then she tries to seduce Luke Skywalker's fourteen-year old son?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Time War was mentioned as being invisible to all but the "higher races" though I can't remember which episode it was in (I was going to say "The End of the World" but that seems much too early; it might have been "The Shakespeare Code").

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Sontaran two-parter in season four also mentioned that the Sontarans wanted to fight in the war but either weren't allowed or weren't able to (which is odd, because you'd think either side would've liked to enlist the so-called "perfect soldiers").

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DirtyRobot posted:

A new special mini webisode brought to you by Steven Moffat and some nine-year-old presents...

"The Doctor and Computeress Get Mandark"!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Astroman posted:

It would have been great if they'd had the courage to show Night of the Doctor on tv.

I wonder if it might have been meant for Children In Need but ended up being rushed out in response to the possibility of a leak?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pops Mgee posted:

Is he there to stop Spock?

He was probably hoping to meet the Red Dwarf crew.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

marktheando posted:

I'd be happy if they stopped trying to make them so Christmassy, there's no reason why the Christmas special can't just be an episode that's shown at Christmas.

At the same time, I remember "The Christmas Invasion", "The Runaway Bride", "Voyage Of the Damned" and "The Next Doctor" all receiving a good bit of criticism because they were episodes that happened to take place on Christmas Day (obviously there's also "The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe", which is susceptible to the same complaint, but I think its problems go rather beyond being a Christmas episode that has little to do with Christmas). Conversely, the most widely praised (at least as far as I can see) Christmas special ("A Christmas Carol") is probably the most Christmassey of them all.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

7thBatallion posted:

Sorry. Got TNG people confused. R names do that. And K names. Also Js, but not so bad.

Rick Berman, that no-talent hack.

I would point out that even Brannon Braga wrote "Frame Of Mind", but it occurs to me that he also wrote "Threshold".

Carry on!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Astroman posted:

So it would seem they have a costume. :dance:

Looks like a fairly modern cut suit.

It's his bollocking suit.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like a Dalek eye-stalk.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
THAT'S WHAT CHRIST-MAS IS ALL A-BOUT, CHAR-LIE BROWN

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The villain for the 2014 Christmas special:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twoot posted:

It pretty much confirms the ages 900 years part of the spoiler synopsis. It also looks really rubbish.

Still better than Dobby the Time Lord House Elf.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a new preview clip. At least, I think it's a new one.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sydney Bottocks posted:

And mother to the Doctor's Daughter (and the Doctor's Son, and the Doctor's Adopted Son).

And the Doctor's Grandchildren, of course.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The only part of the UK the Doctor's never visited is Northern Ireland.

Now, I'm not sure why anyone in their right mind would want to visit Northern Ireland, mind you, I'm just putting it out there.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I used to be mad keen on Artemis Fowl but I've never read his HGTTG book. Not very good, is it?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bandanna posted:

It would still make a good episode, even two parter and generate some hype. I could imagine something like the events that started the time war in the first place.

It's been done.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bandanna posted:

I really need to brush up on my classic then.

I shouldn't worry; the idea that "Genesis of the Daleks" was the "opening shot" of the Time War was something RTD suggested in a prose story. It was a pretty good idea, but I guess it's kind of a retcon.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wolfechu posted:

It... Could have been better. And of course, they never finished the trilogy.

There was a Rankin/Bass animated version of The Return of the King, which is most famous for including this song.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He's definitely got issues, there's no doubt about that.

Maybe he's never been able to get over his divorce from his first wife. I've heard it was a bit acrimonious.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm surprised it's not talked about more then - is it due to libel laws or something?

Probably wouldn't stop Private Eye. It's not for nothing Ian Hislop has been described as one of, if not the most sued man in English legal history.

Republican Vampire posted:

On top of that the other outlets that would talk about it, the tabloids, are more interested in glamourous types than in middle aged Scottish showrunners.

They always seemed interested enough in Gordon Brown. :v:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 15, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Republican Vampire posted:

What, you don't think Brown is Glamourous and Sexy? Do you have eyes?

Only when he smiles.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There had better be a scene where Capaldi makes a daring escape in a wheelchair then sings in the shower and pinches a guy's car because he likes the look of it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zamiel posted:

I had hoped the whole Clara wears red all the time thing would've been solved/explained along with the reveal of her jumping in the time stream, but I see she's still at it. Or do we have an explanation for it that I've forgotten? Or maybe it's as simple as it's just her signature thing and I'm over thinking it.

I wasn't even aware that was a thing, to be honest.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

docbeard posted:

If we don't get an explanation soon for why every companion since the start of the revival has had either one and two syllables in both their first and last names I will curse Moffat's name to the heavens.

It's because "Russell" and "Steven" have two syllables.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Sounds like the plot of Timelash

We swear, it wasn't so bad.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ratspeaker posted:

Well, look on the bright side--the Master is one thing Moffat can't possibly gently caress up more than RTD.

Of course he could. It would probably involve the Master regenerating into a woman and insisting on being called the Mistress.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ms Boods posted:

Played by Craig Ferguson.

In this costume:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Journey's End" was a great finale for Tennant's Doctor. Shame about the next year's specials.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This reminds me, was it this thread or the other one which gave us the term "pessimism shaming" in the run-up to the 50th anniversary? I don't think things have gone quite that far just yet. :D

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've had a cursory glance through them. They generally seem pretty Moffaty, but while there's some bits of Moffat's writing and showrunning I've not been terribly fond of it's not like I object to it principle. I think when they come out on TV there'll be enough to them for me to have an enjoyable 45 minutes on a Saturday evening.

At the very least, they look better than my two least favourites, which is at least (usually) good enough for me (most of the time).

One thing that stuck out to me, though, is that they seem awfully long in terms of pages. I thought the general rule of thumb was that TV scripts are usually a page for every minute of screentime. Maybe I'm being needlessly pedantic; I couldn't write an episode of anything, much less an episode of Doctor Who.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Noxville posted:

A page a minute is considered about right, how long are these scripts?

They're about 70 pages each (the first episode is 80 minutes and it's 113).

I think they're fun to read. Not being able to write creatively myself, I find the process quite fascinating, and I like reading scripts and series bibles and whatnot. In fact I used to have a pdf of the series bible for Press Gang saved on my computer; it's still floating around the Internet. The bible for BSG in particular is something else. It goes into a lot of detail.

Paul Cornell has an interview where he shares a tidbit from the bible RTD circulated for the season one writers in 2004, and said it starts off as something like, "The Doctor is a happy, friendly alien who loves helping others," or something equally cheerful. I'd like to see it, but it's never been published as far as I'm aware. The Writer's Tale is the best we can hope for (and it's very good, don't get me wrong).

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 8, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think showrunning is mostly an American thing. It just wasn't something that was done in UK television until RTD did it on Doctor Who (and blew most of the money for season one on effects for "The End of the World", kind of like Moffat did in his first season. Haha!).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PriorMarcus posted:

I thought it was loving stupid that Moffat wrote the T-Rex that big and shrugged it off. Remember when this show used to be vaguely educational instead of relying on nothing but cheap loving jokes.

You mean 1965? :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Missy will be the Terrible Zodin. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ms Boods posted:

Having not read the scripts or seen any casting information, I am holding out hope that, at the very least, Robin was Rik Mayall's last role before his sad death recently.

"I LOOOOOVE givin' it to the poor! WOOF!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

"Doctor, eh? Well, you're a little over-qualified for the role. But if you leave your name and particulars..." 51 years later and he finally gets the job! :D

The scourge of degree inflation. :v:

• Locked thread