Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really quite sick of learning things about the Doctor.

Can we just have him on adventures saving the world please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Episode 9 is primed to annoy the hell out of me.

That's not a conflict.

The Doctor does not favor humanity blindly.

If humans are being dickheads, he will stop them. That's just a moronic problem.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wait they let the Forest of the Night guy write another episode?

Why would you

Why would you ever

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just

Some of these sound like they could be fine

The Gatis episode could just be the result of a lovely synopsis

But they brought back two of the absolute worst writers of the worst episodes of the entire 50+ year history of the shows run

In the same season

At least they only get one episode a piece Jesus Christ

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think one of the dumbest things Moffat has ever said in relation to Who publicly might still be this

"Steven Moffat defended the episode saying it was "beautifully and elegantly written," and added, "I think will grow in stature over the years.""

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Of course they're not.

Why would they be

This is why we haven't had a good Cyberman story in near 50 years.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BSam posted:

Yeah I know, I just love how irrationally angry Burkion gets over that slight misstep.

The defoliant agent stuff is also pretty loving dire if you weren't aware

Look up Agent Orange Affect On People if you'd like to know why

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BSam posted:

Agent Orange, the only defoliant.

I was going to do a non effort spoiler joke about how all defoliants are dangerous to expose to anyone or anything, but instead gently caress it.

Here's the problem with that sentiment. Agent orange is and remains one of the most potent defoliant agents in the world, if not the most.

To do what they said they were going to, you would need a herbicide defoliant mix at least half as strong as Agent Orange to do anything.

Now, the fun part is, Agent Orange is not illegal. Anywhere. Because it's technically not a chemical weapon, that would be the most logical and likely thing to use if they weren't just being cute about dropping literal poison on every major city of the world.

If it isn't Agent Orange, well I hope you brought your gas mask, not that it's going to help you any, because you're going to be breathing poison as it rains down over your city and contaminates your water supply.

If it is Agent Orange, well basically they'd get a lower body count using loving Sarin Gas, because Agent Orange has killed ten times as many people as any chemical weapon.

400,000 dead, 500,000 birth defects, only from the direct exposure. This is not counting people who were exposed to it second hand and got cancer like my grandfather.

To so lazily include that as a plot point, to even throw that idea that ANY GOVERNMENT would be that totally stupid, is equally as stupid as saying "Okay we'll just nuke the trees, right over your heads."

It's horrendous writing and offends me personally.

And then the anti medicine bullshit gets to rear its loving head.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

They've already filmed the regeneration.

Unrelated but thank God you were joking about the Star in her eye thing. I figured you had to of been, but it was just close enough

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Guy A. Person posted:

It was kinda cool that RTD had more of a continuity between the companions and could bring them back for guest episodes, I def miss that. But if you think Amy and Rory are less beloved and memorable than like Martha Jones or Rose's mom or Donna then just c'mon dude

He said side characters my man.

Amy and Rory are not side characters. That'd be like, their parents.

Rory's dad would almost count if he was actually in anything much.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Guy A. Person posted:

That's fair I guess, I thought the reference to visiting the companions like 10 did at the end of RTD's run implied that he was talking specifically about companions/recurring supporting cast. I don't remember him visiting many people outside of the core companions.

There were a few, but the most notable one that came to mind was the woman related to the nurse the Doctor fell in love with when he was human.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
For the love of God Marcus please don't do this

This season wasn't terrible until the last three episodes started droning on come on please tell me you're joking

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I

Have no idea how this could go.

It would certainly be different

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

Good news guys. That's all bullshit.

I figured it'd have to be

Like, that sounds like a set up for a mini series- Tochwood Children of Earth kind of thing.

Not a series of Doctor Who

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
For real though, I am SHOCKED we haven't stooped as low as to have a Cyberman or Dalek companion.

That's a hell of an achievement

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

remusclaw posted:

We had part of a Cyberman companion.

It didn't even have the man part. It was just a Cyber.

We've had loads of those.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why are they wearing flesh colored gloves

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think Doctor What was trying to make a cute joke about how that's really what their hands look like now (as in, in character in universe)

But unless they polish the effect up after the fact, which kind of defeats the purpose of these costumes, they just look like gloves. Really bad ones.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

I think it sort of helps the "cobbled together, piece by piece, with little thought as to aesthetic and entirely based on form" thing, though.

Oh no, I like exposed hands. That's why I asked why they were wearing gloves.

I think a good makeup effect on the hands would look stellar for creepy zombie cyborg people like these dudes, so seeing really cheap gloves like that being used instead made me sad.

If they're meant to be gloves in universe, that works well enough.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's not going to be the voice they give the Mondasian Cybermen right?

I want my off key sing song chip tunes voice god drat it

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What is even the point of bringing them in if you're not going to do anything with them

Just, loving Christ. Why is this twice now the Master hijacks the Cybermen for the finale?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really wasn't.

I was hoping we could ignore that ever happened.

For ever.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just want a good Cyberman story

Why can't we just have a good Cyberman story

The best Cyberman story in decades was about the loving Clockwork Robots in Deep Breath. What the Christ

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

Moffat seems to mistake the Daleks for Cybermen and the Cybermen for Daleks. He doesn't have a good reading on either villain.

Think of how much better the Dalek prison planet would've been as a Cyberman retirement home of sorts where the patients had started to reclaim some of themselves as madness set in.

Even the music and Clara makes more sense this way.

Man you are 100% correct on that.

And yeah, the Cybermen have been poo poo since the 60s ended, their last really good story was Invasion and that was mostly for their design and Vaugn being the best human villain ever. But with a modern day, with our climate in decline, society freaking out

The Cybermen should be more relevant than ever now. Not from the technological angle either, from the Must Survive angle. Which just, gets ignored.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress right the hell off.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
He absolutely was dead on.

We went from the start of a good Cyberman story, to just another Evil Robots story with Bill the Cyberman included.

Not a huge fan of that what so ever, and I'm even more annoyed that we didn't get to see more of Bill AS a Cyberman and her dialogue. The sing song voice is just inherently more interesting and more engaging than the loud evil robot voice.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I am blown away by them just now realizing Doctor Who is about progress and more left wing stuff

Like that's always been a thing.

Ever since the beginning.

The Daleks were loving Nazis. Are Nazis. They are the most evil thing in the universe that the Doctor always fights.

But I can't be too surprised given the Zygon two parter.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

Doesn't this technically make the Doctor transgender as well? This is the best news just for all of the ignorant hateful tweets it is generating.

I think it'd be more fluid but whatever term you wanna use likely applies to Time Lords

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

R-Type posted:

I thought the recent show runners had dick fingered hands beforehand, but wow. This is a fuxored idea.

You'll have to be a bit more specific

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

I'm not saying he was a time lord. But was he seeing Matt Smith on set? Or seeing the 11th Doctor?

Matt Smith.

Why would he be seeing the 11th Doctor?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

Because that scene already breaks the bounds of realism.

It's a metaphor of him looking to his future

His future is the actor Matt Smith taking up his role

Come on man

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The thing is

Hartnell is the First Doctor.

Like how Sean IS his version of James Bond.

Or Val Kilmer Batman and George Clooney Batman are not the same kind of Batman.

With the Doctor, that's important, because that's why they're recast as new characters. It's not ghoulish, it just misses the point. Bradely plays his Doctor very differently than Hartnell, but he's supposed to be the same Doctor. But you can't expect him to just play Hartnell's Doctor that would be unfair to him as an actor.

It's almost like the role of the Doctor is a unique thing in acting and history, and shouldn't be devalued by replacing the actors once the original has passed away. Instead, just retire the character and don't loving touch them again unless you can spin something like Day of the Doctor with the old footage.

If Bradely was some future regeneration of the Doctor like Tom Baker as the Curator, I would be 100% on board with this. But no, he's being a character that he shouldn't be.

The First Doctor is William Hartnell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mortanis posted:

I know Doctor Who fandom is kinda the lowest rung on the slimy, diseased ladder that is fandom, but that's some crazy crap right there. Unique? Shouldn't be?

Doctor Who is not sacrosanct and certainly not unique.

So you're just going to miss the point of what I was trying to say entirely in favor of insults, good to know.

Let me put it this way, not that you'll care. If some one was going to play Adam West Batman, that wasn't Adam West, in some big movie- I'd have just as much of a problem with that.

• Locked thread