Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

smashthedean posted:

It also just seems like they've already packed a 1/4 of the Doctor's life so far into Matt Smith's regeneration (if he's in his 1200s and Tennant regenerated in his 900s) and it would be really weird if they added another 900 years to his time as the Doctor making Capaldi ~2100 years old.

Tennant regenerated at a younger age than McCoy said he was.

quote:

Tasha Lem

La Masteh! He's back, as a woman!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fungah! posted:

Just read the big spoiler and drat, that sounds like utter poo poo. Hopefully that was just some nerd taking a wild stab in the dark based on stuff the BBC released. At least if it is true, it sounds like all the loose plot-ends are going to be dealt with, so we won't have to worry about Capaldi dealing with them.

Harriet Jones is the red dalek

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fungah! posted:

OK, fine, all of Moffat's hanging plotlines.

That's referring to

quote:

Just read the big spoiler and drat, that sounds like utter poo poo. Hopefully that was just some nerd taking a wild stab in the dark based on stuff the BBC released.

:confused:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I heard it from a guy that you're 100% correct that this rumour exists

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Show or Series. No one really uses program these days.

I do :mad:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Fine, make it a Scottish quarry. Nobody would see it coming!

Scotland is part of Britain fyi

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

2house2fly posted:

We'll soon see about that #VoteYes

If we're being pedantic (and you know we are), independence would only mean Scotland wasn't a part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland*, it would still be a part of Great Britain as that's the name of the island it's on.

*Which would presumably become "the United Kingdom of Great Britain, minus Scotland, and Northern Ireland" which might be enough to take it up a notch in the "Longest country names" ladder

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Regarde Aduck posted:

They really don't. I wish they did but they all love him as much as you do. It's loving terrible.

There's only one Doctor Who writer responsible for multiple classics who hasn't also produced a complete stinker: John Lucarotti

Prize if you got it!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Blasphemeral posted:

Liar. Douglas Adams

Script editor on Creature from the Pit, there's a cavalcade of success!

Burkion posted:

He was responsible for Dodo. That's an entire laundry list of awful.

He wasn't afaik, she just appeared at the end of one of his stories.

bobkatt013 posted:

I still find it hilarious that Douglas Adams borrows from Doctor Who in the Hitchhiker radio series.

Shada + City of Death = Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. Very very very precisely.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sounds like the plot of Timelash

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

PantsOptional posted:

If it was Pertwee or Baker doing it half this thread would be jerking off right now. Doesn't make it any less stupid but it's true.

Agreed, it would mean Pertwee wasn't dead and could potentially go on to make some episodes that aren't trash

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

I do feel that Smith was ultimately let down by the direction his Doctor went in. He's the best actor to play the Doctor so far

You what? I'd say he's at very best just in the top three or four. His physical comedy is very good, though.

Kevos Setzer posted:

For instance, half of Tennant's episodes! Okay, maybe not that many, but you get my point.

Agreed, more than half.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The first and last episodes of the most recent series would prove otherwise.

I quite liked the last episode, having only watched Sherlock at all for the first time a month or two ago. The first episode of the third series - and the mocking of Sherlock fans - was absolutely disgusting. I'm not the kind of fan it was mocking but jesus how much of a jerk do you have to be to write a show to panders to an audience and then spend an episode insulting them?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Oh, he's not the BEST Doctor, I just feel that he is the best actor.

I know that's what you said, that's what I'm disagreeing with. He's not even the best revival actor.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Stairs posted:

Our Doctor Who has evolved into something we may not always enjoy, but it's still our Who in many ways. Remember that any Who is always better than no Who (which some of us, myself included, remember as being a terrible sad time.)

You have remarkable brand loyalty. If more Doctor Who is made and I don't enjoy it, what's the point for me?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

OK Rick and Morty is the craziest loving thing

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Martout posted:

It would be the most dry and cynical episode of Who in history and instead of hiding behind the sofa to escape the monster of the week, kids would just experience pangs of existential dread. Also it would probably be great!

Oh, you mean like watching The Creature From The Pit

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Mr Beens posted:

This thread:

9 Years Ago - RTD is awesome, Who is back and it's good.
7 Years Ago - RTD is poo poo
5 years ago - Yay Moffat is the saviour and it's going to change everything
3 years ago - Moffat is poo poo
1 year ago - yeah still poo poo, give Gattis the job
2 years from now - Yay Gattis is the saviour and it's going to change everything
4 years from now - Gattis is poo poo etc etc.

I have no idea why people keep holding Gattis up as the man to take over from Moffat - he's a good writer, but not a proven show runner.

This post:

When you posted it: a load of stuff that either didn't happen or is somehow based on confusion that peoples' opinions can change over the course of years

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The old producer/script editor model worked pretty well.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DirtyRobot posted:

plus a lot of his quirks that you didn't notice when you'd only had one season of him became more and more noticeable as time went on

As I said above, they were pretty noticeable from Forest of the Dead onwards

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Inkspot posted:

So, I picked a random episode of Rick and Morty and ended up watching the one with television from alternate dimensions. I was in tears during the Two Brothers trailer. Not sure how I've missed it until now, but thanks for the recommendations. Totally worth it.

Huh, seems like TV from other dimensions has a somewhat looser feel to it. It's got an almost improvisational tone.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Shadoer posted:

For a script that introduces a new doctor, I have to admit this is one of the better ones. That's not saying much

Going by generally accepted poo poo, which also conveniently also mostly lines up with my opinion:

In the bad column we have:

The Twin Dilemma
Time and the Rani

In the mediocre column we have:

The Christmas Invasion (it's better than The Twin Dilemma and Time and the Rani by a long way, but not actually particularly good so it goes in here by default)

In the good column:

Eleventh Hour
Rose
An Unearthly Child/100,000 BC (because of the caveman stuff)
Castrovalva
Robot

In the loving amazing wow jesus a hundred years Rick and Morty dot com column:

The Power of the Daleks
Spearhead from Space

"Post-Regeneration stories are bad" is a big fan myth.

Shadoer posted:

brings the Clockwork Robots back in a non-stupid way

Let's not go nuts

Shadoer posted:

Also it's always good to bring back the London Detective Trio as well as Strax.

Oh ok we've gone nuts (and Strax is part of the trio)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Shadoer posted:

Hey if they are going to bring them back, this was the least stupid way to do it.

If you're going to get someone to kick you in the balls,

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Shadoer posted:

Oh come on, the scenes described with the Clockwork Robots in this script look pretty good and creepy. Done right, they can be pretty friggen awesome.

Moffat loves and I mean really loves reusing material. Every single story of his from the RTD era now has some stuff that's reappeared.

But even above and beyond that, he reuses material in a way that makes it kind of pointless to have reused it in the first place.

eg. look at the Weeping Angels. In Blink they were less of a thinking antagonist and more of a sort of video game puzzle natural force kind of deal. This worked well for the story, as it was about getting to a simple and elegant solution.

When they come back this simplicity doesn't work any more, so Moffat is forced into changing all the rules. Now the Angels aren't forced into turning to stone (thus making them forever alone), they do it voluntarily as a defense mechanism. Adios pathos. Now you can't even look at an Angel, because they'll turn you into one (or something). Now they kill people by snapping necks. Why? As Moffat has to give them the ability to speak so he has them do it through a corpse, which wouldn't exist if they were the same as in Blink. And the end of the episode isn't a simple solution to a puzzle, it's just a big sign saying HERE'S THE ARC, MOFOS with no actual specificity to the problem at hand.

And now the clockwork robots. Are they operating in the same way as in Girl in the Fireplace? No. GitF had a bit of a crazy spin on "robots take things too literally", trying to fix their ship by getting spare parts from someone in the past with the same name. These clockwork robots are trying to repair themselves, and just happen to be from the sister ship of the GitF lot. Does that mean that the ships have this as a standard design response? That kinds of undermines the "what crazy poo poo is happening here, jesus" part of the first one. But yeah the point is that they're not repairing the ship, they're trying to keep themselves going with human parts for some reason.

The only real link is "using human parts for stuff". But that's not unique to the clockwork robots. The cybermen have done that, the daleks have done that, every fucker has done that. Why do you need the clockwork robots? This is round peg square hole stuff. Hell, use Invader Zim. He steals organs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnOBIwi9gLM

and is more interesting than the robots.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I quite like Strax and I don't know why. Maybe because it's quite such a stupid joke.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bown posted:

He's definitely one of the more entertaining parts, but....Let's Kill Hitler was entertaining too.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Let's not go nuts

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

marktheando posted:

The Rani is a genius. We know this because the Doctor and the Master keep telling us this, and because she made a land mine that turns you into a tree.

To be fair that's quite the land mine

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Given the leaked episodes any rename of the spoiler thread could be overreacted to, so I suggest something completely off the wall that would never happen.

You know, like the Pond/River thing.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

An actual tree. That gropes people.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Or, it's a brand new, terribly written, Steven "I don't get women" Moffat character.

Steven Moffat gets women

quote:

"Between the marriages, I shagged my way round television studios like a mechanical digger"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It's nice to have the Doctor have some off screen stuff mentioned. It makes the universe feel larger.

It's not nice to have the off screen stuff intrude too much on screen. It makes the universe feel smaller.

Compare Pertwee making references to other adventures and Tennant doing it - in the latter case it's almost always a bored "Oh I've seen this before, yawn" kind of situation.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Heck, the entire premise of "The Face of Evil" revolved around the aftermath of one of the Doctor's off-screen adventures.

Also Timelash!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

e X posted:

Hey remember that the new Doctor is 'the man who never would' where the old doctor happily gunned down and blew up people.

That's not quite true. The Doctor's characterisation varies between regenerations and writers but in general he was something of a pacifist, and even when he did use "guns" it was very very rarely against "people" - it was using some specific device that tied into the weaknesses of the aliens he was facing. The solar lamps against the Ice Warriors, the Emotion gun against the Cybermen, whatever the gently caress worked against the Daleks.

The Man Who Never Would stuff was really really stupid but you can see the pacifist element to his character in loads of stories, The Silurians being an obvious example.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

I'm not going to ask the nerdier things, like why radiation would make a Dalek go KILL ALL DALEKS, when they're RADIOACTIVE MUTANTS TO BEGIN WITH

You're a radioactive mutant, go rub some Americium-241* on your gums and see how you get on

*A strong alpha source found in smoke detectors

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

You're being unfair on Mass Effect 1 - you never understand the motives of the Reapers, just their plan from a mechanical point of view. That kind of Lovecraftian unknowable horror is something that's done well very rarely - especially in the greater fan canon of Lovecraft (including guys like Derleth in this) that miss the point entirely.

It is, however, done very very well at the end of The War Games, which remains the best portrayal of the Time Lords.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Republican Vampire posted:

The problem with aiming for the unknowable and ancient is that it's still conceived of by the human mind. If you file too many 'knowable' edges off, you get something painfully generic and arbitrary.

Not necessarily, Lovecraft has plenty of variety in his works. Admittedly that variety includes a story in which the horrific twist is that a character is descended from black people but you can't have everything.

Making them knowable, and contemptible, will always be more interesting than waggling a stick in the direction of a few hoary cliches about things beyond human understanding.

Nah

vegetables posted:

Oh, for gently caress's sake. Don't name an episode with a semi-abtruse literary allusion if you're not going to do anything with it!

The Tyger is not obscure or even semi-obscure. It's appeared in Doctor Who, for a start :colbert:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Dreams in the Witch House is pretty strongly related to the mythos.

The "mythos" isn't really a thing, Lovecraft just wrote lots of weird stories about a horrible amoral world and them being in a coherent or at least collected universe of good and evil is something that arose after his death, almost entirely due to the influence of August Derleth (who admittedly we have to largely thank for saving them from the dustbin of history).

Arthur Machen's another, less personally disgusting and less confusing-do-to-corporate-influence, example.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Music of Eric Zann is definitely about horrible things beyond man's ken

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

To be fair to Lovecraft didn't he in fact retract a lot of his racist views in later life?

I see no reason to be fair to Lovecraft.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

That's why the Time Lords and Reapers fall flat. They're brought into the story in a way that demands specificity.

Not so much in The War Games, you learn very very little about the Time Lords other than a) the Doctor being terrified of them and b) the best efforts of the villains of the serial are just a trivial joke to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Tace Vim posted:

Haha, that reminds me - aren't there two different Loch Ness monsters in the Whoniverse?

There's the cybernetic monster controlled by the Zygons, and the Borat Borad in Timelash

• Locked thread