Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
The Great Intelligence also refers to the Valeyard as a name for the Doctor in the past tense. So, the grave on Trenzalore is likely post-Valeyard, whenever he existed (exists, will exist?). Also, considering that Trenzalore is one of the Doctor's more blood-soaked encounters, as opposed to his dealings with the Daleks, Cybermen, Timelords, etc, I think that it's more likely that Hurt's Doctor has something to do with what happened there.

I don't think he is the Valeyard, especially since they made a point of introducing him as The Doctor, but I really think that them showing him staring out on Trenzalore while it is an active battlefield is significant. I think the rumor that he is "the Time War Doctor" is misleading.

EDIT: Oh, and I guess Moffat did get confirmed for the 8th series at the official BBC page. So if Matt's already confirmed himself and Jenna Louise Coleman was confirmed a while back, it looks like next year is shaping up to be pretty good. I hope they'll add another companion, though. Clara on her own doesn't really add much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Astroman posted:

I could have sworn, and correct me if I'm wrong, that the GI said "He will be known by other names...The Storm, The Beast, The Valeyard."

Ah, true, that's my mistake. Hmm, that has very different implications, though, even if the Valeyard is one or even two regenerations away.

But yeah, with Hurt's Doctor staring out at Trenzalore, it sounded like there were bombs falling and ships flying through the air. You could see one of the gravestones next to him.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Astroman posted:

MAJOR SPOILER...When you watch the Web of Fear, the Great Intelligence has met the Doctor not once, but TWICE chronologically before! :v:

Seriously, in some news that seemed to fall under the radar in all the missing episodes hoopla was this that I just read:

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/another-companion-returning-for-50th-53741.htm

:dance: DONNA!!!!

They could be making a mistake about her being on screen and just talking about her return to the franchise in Death's Deal.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Pizdec posted:

I've never been so upset at not being able to find something on the Internette.

Someone actually did a CG recreation using the original audio. It's pretty awesome, hopefully the group will make more videos in the same vein. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRBWOTFNotM

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Holy poo poo that was not only a fantastic episode but likely canonized most of the Big Finish audios.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
At worst it failed trying to do the right thing, rather than succeeding at doing the wrong one.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

GonSmithe posted:

The time lock WAS what they thought it was, but The Moment let them in because.

The Moment was *probably* created by the High Evolutionaries in the Matrix as it's similar in function and name to their other creations. It helping the Doctor see an alternative to destroying Gallifrey would make sense (self-preservation and all that).

Actually, in the comics, the Matrix tried to escape Gallifrey during the Time War by stowing away in the TARDIS. That could explain Clara's jump to Gallifrey's past. Considering the nature of the Matrix (stored memories uploaded into a virtual environment), it would make a lot of sense if they're the villain of the season. After all, Clara did encounter it in the form shown with the 5th Doctor in Name of the Doctor.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Here's the shot uncropped in 1080.

Unless the shot lingers for more than a second, there's no way anyone would ever notice what the poster is. It's to show "holy poo poo, we're definitely in London and look at all these trees :wom:"

Turbonerds.

Come on. It's obviously Iris Whildthyme's TARDIS. That's why Katy Manning was on set earlier. As a Clockwise, she can go back and forth between various parallel universes and just happened to have picked up the ad from the same universe that Beep The Meep fought the 4th Doctor in.

EDIT: It's obvious - it's why Big Finish cancelled her series and also why Beep The Meep is conspicuously absent from any and all comics, audios, and books lately. Yes... that's the reason.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I wonder if Missy is a direct regeneration of the MacQueen Master. Considering Simmons and Jacob's Master didnt have a TARDIS and the Doctor and Master have met out of order before, it could work.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I suspect he's put in enough research to not explicitly ignore or discount something like I, Davros. Cardiff does have a fairly active relationship with Big Finish that is only growing. We're at the point where the audios and show are explicitly the same continuity, with characters crossing back and forth. Only some of the novels, comics, and loosely connected spinoffs are being ignored, or at least not directly considered.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Chairman Capone posted:

Is there any info on how Big Finish finally got the rights to use stuff from the new series? I remember for years there was supposedly the legal barrier between them, so they had stuff like making obvious references to the Ninth Doctor and the Time War but couldn't explicitly state them as such... did their old licensing contract expire and their new one just included the new series, or was there anything more complicated?

Nothing announced but it looks like BBC Worldwide is testing the waters with ancillary characters like they did with Bernice Summerfield before giving Big Finish the rights to Classic Who. The contracts are still separate, buy if Big Finish delivers their usual level of work I'm sure the new series rights will be expanded.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Before Night of the Doctor, before all the New Series properties coming to audio, a case could have been made putting the audios solely in the realm of supplementary media like books and comics. At this point, though, it'd be harder to argue that they don't take place in the same continuity.

I mean, Moffatt loves River Song - she's a major companion from the new series and almost as important as the Doctor himself in the past couple years' worth of stories (for better or worse). If he's giving Big Finish (mostly) free reign with her, I'd be surprised if he completely ignored their contributions to the franchise. Remember, everything still has to go through Cardiff. If they didn't give a poo poo, they wouldn't bother growing the relationship further.

I don't expect 9, 10, 11, and 12 to join the monthly range, but the model of a box set recorded over 2-3 days seems to be working really well for Big Finish and the actors who take part in them. It'd be hard to argue that actors like David Tennant and Matt Smith wouldn't do it. I mean, if David Tennant has a week to record the audio book for How To Train Your Dragon, why wouldn't he pop in for a session?

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Oh yeah, for sure. But I think it's more a matter of when than if. (Except for Eccleston and Hurt I guess)

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Zygons generally require the original to still be alive in order to hold their patterns - if Osgood's showing up it's more likely the original than the Zygon. It makes a bit more sense with this synopsis - if there's a faction of Zygons looking to replace UNIT members they would have started with her.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Kind of hope it'll tie in to the fate of the CIA and the Neverpeople. Those were some of the creepiest characters from the audios - people who removed from the Web of Time but still knew who they were even though to the rest of the universe they never existed.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
It might actually tie into the Diary of River Song a bit there is a Mr Song in one of them

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Is that a hint?

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

Non-televised material establishes that his companion tour was literally every single companion he'd ever had. There's even an audio story of him visiting Jago and Litefoot.

It's explicitly stated in Sarah Jane Adventures by the 11th Doctor in the episode he comes in for. Takes place just before A Christmas Carol after he set Amy and Rory off on their honeymoon. Written by RTD, too, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Would make sense if The Curator is the 13th Doctor, then regenerates to 14 after passing off the painting.

• Locked thread