Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
The best part of rewatching the older episodes is wondering if random characters could make a return in the upcoming season, and what kind of episode could be done with them. Will we ever see the return of Tiny Eagle? Manic 8-Ball? Joseph and his Amazing Technicolor Nightmare Coat? Maybe they'll defrost Ook-Ook, and explain how he got frozen in a block of ice to begin with. And with all of the musicians in the Guild, will the guy from Depeche Mode make an appearance?

That's the beauty of the Venture Bros' writing style, there's so many possibilities. They turned Captain Sunshine and Monstroso from clever names to use in tossed-off jokes, to major characters in some of season 4's best episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
Rewatching season 4 made me realize, this is going to be the first season without 24. :smith: 21 and 24 had some of the best conversations in the whole series, it's sad to know that he's (actually) permanently written out of the show.

Speaking of, maybe we'll finally find out if Phantom Limb was telling the truth and the Moppets are really his sleeper agents. They have to wrap up the "who detonated the bomb that killed 24" storyline sooner or later. Tomorrow night can't come soon enough...

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car

Bored posted:

Yes you did. I think AS tried to pull the song because it turned out to be too expensive, I'm pretty sure after they had already ok'd it, but Publick and Hammer had already done all of the animation to go with that song.

It was the other way around. The song never got ok'd, they did all the animation set to another similar track, then at the last second got the green light to license the song. That's why the opening, before there's any dialogue, is sped up; the song they made the animation set to was slower than the song they wound up using.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Are there any dangling threads left?

How did Jonas Sr. die? Is Myra really Hank and Dean's mom, or their "mom" in the same way that Brock and Sargent Hatred are? Why does the Monarch hate Doc so much (besides him just being really, really easy to hate)?

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
Holy poo poo, that was the perfect episode. The self-contained storyline was amazing and they set up all the plot threads for the rest of the season. Molotov and Monstroso are still alive, 21 vs the Monarch, Billy and Pete White vs the lamest villain ever... I was bracing myself to be let down, because there's no way this episode could meet the expectations of a fanboy like me, but it was better than I ever could've hoped.

This is going to be a good season. Hopefully good enough to rewatch for 2/3 years until season 6 starts up.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car

Morozko posted:

Am I the only one that thinks Gary and Hank should team up and re launch SPNIX?

This makes too much sense for it to not happen. Hank did try to join SPHINX, after all. Gary, Hank and Dermott would make one hell of a crime-fighting team... and 2 of the 3 would actually be pretty good at it.

door Door door posted:

And Doc once again proves that the only time he can be a competent scientist is when he's creating an abomination of some sort.

Doc's still completely incompetent, but it was incompetence and dumb luck that wound up getting the Gargantua 2 shield finished. When Billy's explaining the mutations he mentions the interns' new Einstein-like intelligence. THAT is how the shield got finished, and also how things spiraled out of control so quickly. All Doc did was not warn the interns about the insane radioactivity in the workplace, kill one of the interns, lie to his brother a couple times, roofie everyone, and take credit for everything in the end.

And that's why he'll always be my third-favorite character (behind Brock and Shore Leave). He's a colossal dick that can't do anything right, but it's him being so easy to hate that makes him so easy to like.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
It's a little sad that they killed off 24, since he's the first and only major character to actually die in the show. Hank and Dean were cloned, Molotov and Monstroso are apparently still alive, even HELPeR got rebuilt after being blown up. Dr. Manatee doesn't count.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
Is it too early to say this is the best season yet? These two episodes, and the Halloween one, are easily some of the best. They're making more callbacks to previous episodes than ever, pushing the storylines for everyone further, and making some great jokes in the process.

I'm dreading the season finale, because it's bound to have some kind of big cliffhanger that leaves us dying for more and hating however long it'll take for them to make season 6.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
"Cavity search my rear end! I mean... you know what I mean."

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
"Come on! They have one female servicing a large group of males. That implies a species that lays eggs."
"Oh my God, you're crazy! They're so obviously mammals!"
"Please! She'd be in estrus 24/7 if she didn't lay eggs."
"Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a loving beard! They're mammals!"

R.I.P. Henchman 24 :smith:

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car

Still don't smoke!

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car

a cock shaped fruit posted:

I know I'll never see it, but I would love some twist that reveals the monarch killed 24 and it results in Gary finding a loophole that allows him to arch the Monarch, and the Monarch ends up begging Rusty to help him deal with the very real threat of...THE VICEROY.

This could happen... SPHINX's whole thing was to go after non-licensed villains yet they chased after Monstroso, who is a pretty big (:downsrim:) member of the Guild. If Gary finds out that the Monarch and/or the Moppets were behind 24's death, there could be a SPHINX versus the Monarch story arc.

I love that a cartoon has such a deep, convoluted storyline that we can sit here and come up with all these theories about what will happen next.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
The brother/half-brother theory seems too obvious. Look at every other mystery that they've revealed: that bodyguard broke the Orb instead of killing Doc's grandfather, Brock's supposed son turns out to be the result of Doc banging the teenage president of his fan club, Hank didn't get his high school diploma because the printer jammed, Billy lost his hand in a dog fight (and not in a time machine that sent it to the future)... saying that Tad Venture and the Monarch are siblings seems lazy by Venture Bros standards. Jonas Sr. hooking up with the Monarch's mom is pretty likely, and they'll probably reveal that as a way to string along an "are they or aren't they brothers" plot line, but the final answer can't be that obvious. I'd be a little disappointed if it was, honestly.

On the other hand, it would be fun to see the Killinger plot line come full circle, with Doc and the Monarch teaming up as brothers and villains to arch Jonas Jr.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
I think the better line was "Zap! Sizzle! Acid magnet! AHHHAHAHAHAHA!"

Regardless of the plot twists this show has, it's still one of the funniest on TV. The constant storyline cliffhangers just add to the "I gotta watch the next episode ASAP" factor.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car

xxEightxx posted:

Anyone else praying that Hank keeps the strength suit? The show needs more Hank in a strength suit.

No, because that would mean that Hank won't become the Bat on a full-time basis, and Bat Hank is by far the most badass Hank.

I'm getting anxious for an episode that pushes Dean's plot further. They've sketched out Hank's future early on, showing that him and his new buddy Gary are surprisingly competent at being superheroes, but with Dean it's been all setup and no payoff.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car

Khaba posted:

I have to say that I actually found this episode to be rather mediocre, at least in light of the rest of the episodes we've seen so far.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one. In my book this is similar to "Guess Who's Coming To State Dinner," where it's got some funny bits (Brock's kids, Billy's dream, and the L. Ron Hubbard fight) but as a whole doesn't compare to the rest of the series. It was interesting to see Doc happy for a change, but he's funnier when he's being a dick about everything.

And they need to either do something to change up St. Cloud or get rid of him altogether. Right now he's just an excuse to fit random movie references into scenes. It worked in the season premier because he was relegated to being part of a side-story in a huge episode, but he was a bigger part of this episode and it didn't work out very well. At least he's not as irritating as the Secret Service agent in State Dinner.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
Time for more theories that will probably be proven wrong!

The new character, Head Shot, seems like he's being set up to play a bigger role in the show at some point. And this most recent episode all but flat-out said Brock's been sleeping with his "girlfriend" Amber. So my money's on him finding out about it and killing off one of the OSI characters in a fit of rage. Or, since his voice is identical to Professor Impossible's, maybe those two turn out to be long-lost twin brothers and team up in the Revenge Society.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car

epitasis posted:

OK look, I'm all for the out-there speculation, but basing it off the very limited voice acting cast is just a step too far.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they use the limited amount of voices as an excuse to make far-out plot twists.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
In a show full of amazing sporadically-reoccurring characters, Colonel Gentleman might just be my favorite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoJlRLe81cA

Now I guess it's time to start rewatching the whole series for the next year or two...

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car

qirex posted:

I kept waiting for a "here's what Dean has been up to" episode because they didn't show him doing much and there were the cuts on his arms and the like but the Myra episode didn't quite do it.

I think Dean being a mopey, angsty, depressed kid the whole time was all that he was up to. It seems like Hank's speech at the end will be what snaps Dean out of his "my life is meaningless because I'm a clone" funk, and let him become an adult too. This season laid the groundwork for the two of them growing up and making lives of their own in season 6, instead of living under their dad's (meager, almost non-existent) shadow the way Doc did with Jonas Sr.

I really hope there's an Almost Famous episode next season, where Dean tries being a reporter by going on the road with Shallow Gravy. Maybe Hank can get loaded on drugs (or, more likely, coffee) and jump off a roof in his Batman costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car

Frostwerks posted:

Uhm, that's a perfectly reasonable and well stated opinion. It's also the right one. I have no clue how anybody can possibly say it was the best season of the show. I love Venture Bros and I'm eagerly waiting the next season, because this one was a tremendous letdown. Some good episodes, some great jokes but nothing really struck me as amazing. And it was definitely a step down in terms of finales and the weakest by far.

I would agree with all of this, but I wouldn't consider the season as a whole to be a letdown. The finale, most definitely, (you're going to go from closing out sesaon 4 with an epic hour-long masterpiece to this?!) but not the rest of the season. They all met the above-average quality of a typical Venture Bros. episode, but plot-wise it was all setup and no payoff. In that sense the writing felt a little lazy, like they couldn't figure out how what direction to push certain plot lines in so they just put it off for another year or two. But every episode left me laughing (except for Spanakopita) and anticipating the next, so I got my money's worth.

Install Gentoo posted:

Remember how the first part ended with just Pinstripes and Poltergeists?

The difference: Pinstripes and Poltergeists was a god drat amazing episode, easily one of the top 5 in my opinion. This finale... solid but nothing special about it besides Colonel Gentleman, and Hank's speech. (You know the one I'm talking about.)

Sash! posted:

Also, didn't notice it until just now, but over the course of the season both Hank and Dean got over their teenage crushes! Good work.

How do you know Hank's still not after the mail lady?