Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, we know about 20ish years ago, Hatred was a Guild mole in the OSI before The Guild came out of hiding. So, we can possibly assume the pedophilla had something to do with the repercussions of being caught by the OSI not long after The Guild came out into the open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm rewatching the episode now and caught a great moment between Hatred and Rusty. Right before they are captured, Hatred whispers to Rusty "did you make them?" and Rusty yells "No!" When the soldiers turn their way, Rusty blames Hatred for giving away their position.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There was a thing I noticed on a rewatch of "Cleansuit.". During the scene where Hank was throwing stuff at Hatred, the very last thing he threw hit Hatred in the tit and he reacted like it was far more sensitive than a guy normally would. His tits must have stared coming in by then.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Since Ray Harryhausen died May 7th of this year, that means he was still alive when this episode was in the can.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Actually, we know for a fact that everything is happening AFTER episode 1. Sphinx was blown up, so the fact that it still existed at the end of Cleansuit makes the timeline clear.

Same with non-walking-eye Helper.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They were pretty explicit in the Halloween episode that Hank and Dean 1.0 were normal children.

quote:

Ben: Dean, you have it all wrong. You have a mommy, and your dad is your dad. They made you by getting drunk and forgetting to wear a condom, like everybody else. And your dad loved you so much that when you got a boo-boo, he kissed it and made it better and made it go away.

Now, I suppose they could have extracted the embryo and grew them in a tank after that, but it seems unlikely.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sash! posted:

I've read All You Zombies and have some interesting theories about who the Venture Mom is.

Would that make Hatred a future transgendered Doc?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What makes "Enrico Matassa"/"Hank Hank" really funny is when you consider these little nuggets of information are exactly the type of thing that the bed teaches them and Dean was complaining about.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

You're over-thinking this.

Exactly.

Everyone with theories about Manotaur and Phantom Limb are completely MISSING that it was the punchline of the episode. The Monarch passed the council's questioning based solely on the fact that Phantom Limb just HAD to know exactly what was going on and was pulling the strings behind everything. The bit at the end showed that Phantom Limb was clueless and that The Monarch just got lucky in convincing the council that Phantom Limb was to blame.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm starting to think more and more that Rusty and The Monarch are cousins and that Vendata/The Monarch's dad was Jonas Sr.'s brother. It fits with the name of the show and explains a lot of stuff.

What if the "plane crash" that The Monarch remembers was just one of many X1 crashes on some family outing?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

X_Toad posted:

Gathers wants to take down the Guild, permanently.

I really don't know that he does. He just wants to have the upper hand. The idea is that the O.S.I. keeps the guild from getting to Sphinx levels.

I mean, if he wanted to take down the guild completely, he could have just bombed the hell out of the nightclub. They just keep them under control so there's more "antagonizing super scientists" and less "take over the world" poo poo going on.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One thing that's been overlooked how much this is a bookend for "What Color..."

Specifically, when The Monarch tries his hardest to arch Rusty he ends up helping him without knowing it.

He was so happy with himself with the antidote butterflies, thinking he thwarted Dr. Venture when he really helped him out by curing the mutations.

Then, in this episode, he thinks he has broken Dr. Venture (and he kind of did), but the end result is Rusty drawing his family closer instead of pushing them away.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, what happened in the cases like "The Bat" where only one died?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, I wonder if we are going to have to wait 10 years for the blu-ray release.

I understand that Adult Swim wants a rerun window, and that's fine (they are currently re-airing the season on Sundays) but it would be nice if the blu-rays were slated for release the following Tuesday after the finale airs for a 2nd time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

bobkatt013 posted:

No show does this. They will release the dvd a couple of months after the season ends. That way they have time to do special features and the like.

I wouldn't say no show does this. For example, Doctor Who blu-rays actually jumped street date by a few days this spring and people were getting them before the finale of that season actually aired. There are quite a few examples that are similar. Production on these episodes ended quite some time ago so there should be ample time for the small amount of special features they will include.

By the time the re-run completes, we will be two months out from the finale.

Season 4 was released 5 months out from when the finale aired, but it was made all the worse since it was a split season. You couldn't get a blu-ray copy of "Blood of the Father, Heart of Steel" until 17 months after the episode aired. Already, we are almost 10 months out from when "A Very Venture Halloween" aired.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Teasing us like that when the release is still 5 months away.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, they can take as long as they drat well please between seasons if the quality remains.

Keep in mind that they write this show to make themselves laugh. They don't craft jokes for the viewers, they do it to amuse themselves. No collaboration with other writers would be able to replicate that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

PostNouveau posted:

Timelines and creative control are not mutually exclusive.

I want to say yes, but...

I wouldn't call what Doc and Publick do "creative control." That would imply that they are exerting some sort of vision over what they are doing. They are two guys sitting around playing with their toys (the characters) and doing poo poo they find funny, to hell what anyone else things. I'm just not convinced you can put a writing team to work with the same effect. Yes, Dan Harmon exerts tons of creative control and his stuff has his distinct voice even though it's done by a team. But when you listen to their commentaries, you get the distinct impression that nothing they do is that formalized. I just don't expect they can give a concept outline to someone else and have them run with it to write jokes. That's just not the way their process works.

That's also why a lot of their references are so obscure. It's not that they are trying and working hard to find the most obscure references to put in the episodes, it's just stuff that's in their own wheelhouse and they really don't give a flying gently caress if anyone else gets it or not. They would completely (and probably have) put in a private joke that's just between each other that puts them into fits of laughter but no one else would even bat an eye at.

That's the charm of the show and if waiting 18-20 months between episodes is the price to pay to ensure that nothing messes with the secret sauce, then that's the way it has to be.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm not really sure how this is a debate anymore when we have the episodes on disc (or Netflix) with captioning.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's on their Facebook page.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

MrSlam posted:

This bothered me too, but here's how I figured it out.

Either he was reneging on a debt and/or the Investors were so ingrained with the Guild that even the Council of 13 weren't above suspicion. His paranoia had apparently gotten so bad that he went full Stalin. Seems out of character since he's been relatively chill up to this point but like he said, he IS a supervillain at the head of an evil organization.

With the Investors losing their control over Monstroso and OSI and coming under full investigation by the new management, the Sovereign may have done some investigating of his own and discovered just how much of the Guild they had influence over. And when your organization make backstabbing and treachery a byword its probably best just to burn them all and let the devil sort them out.

I think it's simpler than that. The Sovereign hatched a crazy plan to get rid of the investors by destroying Gargantua 2 and knew that 2/3rds of the council wouldn't go for it. I mean, for the most part they were all old fuddy duddies that treated the council of 13 like a club rather than the head of an evil organization. Why in the hell would they want to upset the status quo just to get the Sovereign out of a contract? Not only that, the Sovereign would have to admit to them that he only ruled because of the investor's influence.

So, he sought out a core group of people that he thought he could get to go for the plan, but even they called bullshit on it so everything went pear shaped.

The shot eagle at the end likely is not a misdirection. It's the perfect coda to the point made earlier that the Sovereign was simply a shapeshifter that got in over his head and now everything is falling apart.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Do we know why the Investors destroyed Gargantua 2? That's the one thing I wasn't clear on. Was JJ going back on his contact or was it the fact that he was dying?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Bobulus posted:

The scene went down something like this, right?

Makes sense, I couldn't remember exactly how it went down.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It's two dudes in a tiny New York studio making the show by hand pretty much.

Yeah, two guys write and storyboard the whole drat show. They have insane amounts of creative control and don't delegate any of the writing/plot to anyone else. This is the biggest reason why the quality has remained high.

The other reason is because they aren't writing for the fans. They've said on numerous occasions that they write the jokes to make themselves laugh. They don't care how esoteric it is or if they think any of their fans will get it. They are just two guys amusing themselves with virtually no constratints. There's pretty much no way to ramp up the quantity of the show without affecting the quality somehow when it has evolved like this.

I'm fine with that. If it takes two years between seasons but it remains insanely amazing, then that's the price of it. I do not want the formula hosed with. Adult Swim is great in that this sort of arrangement totally works for them. They are like the most laid back network ever.

The same thing with NTSF::SD::SUV. It's not technically cancelled, but Paul Scheer is too busy for it right now. [as] has basically said "Hey, if you ever get around to writing more, we'll make them. Just let us know." What other network operates so awesomely like that?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cojawfee posted:

Do they work on other shows? i just don't see how it's possible to spend two years to write 8 episodes.

They do more than just write it.

Consider something like an episode of The Simpsons has about a year long pipeline from start to end. That's with a full team of people so stuff can be worked on in parallel. About the only aspect of the Venture Bros that they don't have a direct hand in is the final animation, but they still have to approve it and send back for revisions.

They burn out after every season, hardcore. It's a marathon from start to finish for every season and then they basically collapse.

So they write an episode, storyboard it, give direction on the animation, voice 3/4ths of the cast while directing the remaining cast members and then repeat that 8-13 times over.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cernunnos posted:

If Brock gets put back with the Ventures he'll probably end up working alongside Hatred but I don't think Brock is coming back.

Depends.

Brock was on his way to Gargantuan 2 because JJ had toys that the OSI didn't want falling into the hands of the bad guys. Now that Rusty owns the corporation, HE has access to those toys. The OSI isn't going to let a fuckup like Hatred guard that stuff. So, Brock may be back with the Ventures in some capacity. Maybe it won't be a personal body guard to Rusty, but it may be internal corporate security or something like that. Rusty is likely to let the OSI in where JJ wouldn't because he won't want to deal with all this costume villainy stuff.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, we know Rick and Morty SEASON TWO OUT THIS SUMMER. THIS. SUMMER. SUMMER 2015. I do not see Adult Swim overlapping new airings of Venture Bros. and Rick and Morty. So, unless it ends up being May for Venture Bros, I would not expect it until fall.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don't forget though that Dr. Mrs The Monarch though she was all clever against Captain Sunshine and made a weapon to use that actually managed to power him at night.

She's competent, but she still fucks up quite a bit.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tag Sale, You're It.

It really is the perfect intro to Venture Bros as it touches on most of the building blocks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kefkafloyd posted:

poo poo, it's Chuck Scarsdale! Hide, or we'll be on the news!

That one still gets me every time I hear it.

Here we have Dr. Venture in a high stakes game of "get Dean back" so the Monarch doesn't get to keep the money. He's going into Captain Sunshine's lair. What he's worried about is being on the news.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ha-ha! Right to work state.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sash! posted:

Action Man is almost certainly dead, because they buried him.

Huh? When did that happen?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sash! posted:

Yes, that's what happens when I do stuff when I should be asleep

What's funny though is you also listed not-antman :).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, to me "Tag Sale- You're It!" is just the series contained in a perfect bite sized episode because you get introduced to all the elements.

1) Doctor Venture's financial issues
2) Dean's awkward teenage naivety
3) Hank's insanity
4) Brock's brutality
5) Monarch's baseless hate for Dr. Venture
6) Supervillans who operate under rules
7) 24 and 21
8) Dr. O
9) Billy Quizboy and Pete White
10) Hanging a lampshade on Dr. Girlfriend's voice

It's really just perfect.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Fellbat posted:

I mean, like, what did dr girlfriend reveal to the monarch?!

I bet it was the reason why she doesn't drive men.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

prefect posted:

If you listen to enough Billy West long enough, you can get to recognizing his voice, but he is super-talented. :allears:

Yeah, I've gotten to the point lately that I can spot most voice actors, even talented ones that have a wide range of voices. I can't hear an M&M commercial anymore without thinking 'Fry.'

As good as Billy West is, the top spot has to go to Frank Welker. The man is a goddamn wizard.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

darnon posted:

The video in question. It's pretty great. (There's also a Part 2 from 2013 apparently but I haven't watched that one)

How did I not know about this? This is incredible.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

tarlibone posted:

That's impressive, even if Hatred did used to be a pedestrian.

Haven't we all been pedestrians at one point or anther?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I got my Stuyvesant University shirt today.

The latin on it is "Passus Sum Cum Ligneo Cruris" which google tells me translates to "I have suffered with a wooden leg."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I like how Billy's part in both sketches wasn't even used.