Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Impressively front-and-center flip of the bird there. They're really giving no shits about S&P this season, are they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Whoa whoa whoa, a Gabrielle Giffords joke? Ballsy, VB. :stare:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

That's a stretch.

Addressing Congress with a zombie scar on her head? I thought it was, like, so on-the-nose as to be really inappropriate.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh, well that changes everything.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

One of my top moments:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I am weirding myself out here. Dr. My Wife disguised as a man SOUNDS LIKE A WOMAN as far as my brain is concerned for some reason.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

GD_American posted:

yeah if they're not laughing at all this OMG THEY'RE BROTHERS stupidity then I don't know what.

Have they ever been that lazy and hack-ish?

That's what we need, an homage to Starboy and the Captain of Outer Space.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Haha, that is so not how Greek letters work

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Action Tortoise posted:

It's Hank doing a comic book guy impression.

And in Harryhausen mode it's just a bunch of incoherent laconic moans and grumbles. That cracked me right up.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

bobkatt013 posted:

Holy poo poo that comment Dean made.

Refresh my memory? poo poo's coming in hard and fast here. :saddowns:

Oh, the "doesn't die when he falls off the roof" thing, right?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh hi Dr. Junior Addleburg.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The door opening sound effects sound like they're from Doom. :stare:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The camera rotation around the deck to show them dangling over the engine pylon was pretty drat badass.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tank Top, ______, and Bum Rush. Who was that second guy?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

taco_fox posted:

That was my point. He has a very distinct voice and the new character was barely any different from the Alchemist. He shouldn't do incidental characters. It sticks out horribly, unlike Hank/St. Cloud which people were all in a tizzy about.

It's like, they wouldn't ask Warburton to voice some other character, would they? There's voice actors and then there's voice actors.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm afraid someone's going to have to explain to me how "Molostro" works as a shipping name. Molotov and ... Mostro? :saddowns:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gotta be honest, I thought that was a lazy line.

Pope Guilty posted:

Monstroso. MOLOtov + monSTROso.

Huh. I didn't know you got to do that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The "bouncer not buying the ventriloquist gag for a second but playing along anyway" thing was pretty great, but it kinda felt like a rehash of the "smuggling Bigfoot and Steve Summers past the MPs" bit.

I loved how they animated Billy playing the dummy though. :3:

Also—man, this show sure is getting a lot of mileage out of "bat-themed superheroes/villains who may or may not be derivative of Batman", isn't it?

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 15, 2013

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What's going to phase him? Three words: HOLY DAMMIT CHRISTMAS

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Frostwerks posted:

How on earth do you figure that?

Because the joke was the same. First you think the guy was totally fooled, then it turns out he picked up every little detail at the same level the audience did, and that's what's funny. "That was a shaved Bigfoot and Steve Summers in a wig. Made out of shaved Bigfoot."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Okay, true, the Bigfoot one had a different flavor because there was a partner involved. Still, the gags share a lot of DNA. Like cloneslugs.

I-unno, it just sorta jumped out at me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Kwyndig posted:

[St. Cloud]Excuse me, I think you mean Gargantua Two, One crashed out in the desert at the start of "Guess Who's Coming to State Dinner"[/St. Cloud]

Well thanks, now I have a new way to read every goonsay post.

:goonsay:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Frankly the first season with its Grown-Up Pill-Popping Jonny Quest vs. The Eyebrow Goblin and his man-voiced girlfriend dressed like Jackie O dynamic still ought to carry an "OMFG what the gently caress am I watching" pull all its own.

Dolash, watch "Ghosts of the Sargasso" and just try to not powerchug the rest of S1 all in one sitting, whether you manage to get any friends to watch it with you or not.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Good lord, those hand/sleeve motions Monarch was making. That's some eye candy.

FLAP FLAP

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not sure why, but for me the funniest thing in this episode was the long shot of the cocoon exploding in a huge fireball and the hover tank just this tiny little silhouette in front of it buggering off for all it's worth while Vatred screams over the megaphone how much he hates Gary but still he's gotta get outta there.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is there no cheese in it?

The first time I encountered spanakopita was on an orchestra trip when the guest family's mom made a giant casserole pan of it. It seemed like it was just a huge batch of cheese brownies, with a bit of spinach and a little bit of flaky crust. It was tasty as hell but I couldn't eat more than a few bites before I felt full, and she was all crestfallen that I apparently didn't like it. :smith:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

9. The teleporter that sliced him in thirds.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wade Wilson posted:

There's this explanation about how star trek transporters are actually these really horrifying devices in the sequel to John Dies at the End. It basically boils down to the transporter being a fax machine that shreds the original and builds the copy at the destination with whatever atomic materials are on hand.

So basically, every time someone teleports, they're committing suicide and the person at the other end is just a clone.

Or, if you prefer, the Canadian cartoon "To Be":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdxucpPq6Lc

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

RandomPauI posted:

According to The Venture Brothers wiki1/8th of the episodes budget was used to license the Aquagen remix of Rozalla's "Everybody's Free (To Feel Good)"

And I'm just guessing here, but they had originally animated it to a different song assuming they'd never get budget approval for that one, but then at the last minute it came through, and it was perfect, but in order to make it work they had to speed up the animation a whole bunch :smith:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jack Gladney posted:

I think it's the other way around: they animated it to Rozalla assuming that they'd replace it with something cheaper, but they liked the song they chose too much.

Wouldn't the animation be normal speed then? It all just moves way too fast. It's distracting. And I hate that there's anything that detracts from that sequence as a complete package.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Clones" is the only way it works as a post-credits sting twist. :colbert:

It was supposed to leave you thinking "Wait what did he say, they were clones :tviv: " just before quitting for the season.

"Clothes" would be a weak and meaningless thing to leave the audience on. Why even bother saying it, let alone wasting the season's final post-credits stinger on it?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ror posted:

Did you watch it before you saw any of season 2? Before you even knew there was going to be another season?

Yes I did. That's why this interpretation seems to make so much sense to me.

It wasn't just me. My whole group of friends was sitting in the living room coming down off the high of what we thought was the final episode of a series that was too good to outlive the season. We were all sitting there in mingled shock and euphoria over the unceremonious deaths of the boys. We were all silent as we listened to the faux-Dylan and watched the desultory credits crawl by. And then...

"All right, get their clones."

And very one of us fell about the room in spasms of honking laughter at the amazing way in which they had taken what seemed like an irrevocable series-ending capstone scene and, in the space of three seconds, solved a slew of mysteries and set themselves up for continuation. It was the perfect coup de grace, the cartoon writing equivalent of *ollies out*. We all loved it and were instantly stoked for the possibility of a Season 2.

Later, upon rewatching, I wondered to myself whether he might have said "clothes". But I dismissed it out of hand as it seemed like such an anticlimax as to be depressing compared to what I had assumed had actually happened.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean, I'll take it if I gotta. It just sure seemed obvious to all of us at the time.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Home Movies is pretty close to the perfect thing to have come from that era. It lasted for exactly the right amount of time, evolved in just the right way, hardly ever put a foot wrong, and ended satisfyingly.

Back when it was airing new or gently used I tended to fall asleep with it running in the background because they liked to run it in the 1AM-2AM block. To this day I like to cue up episodes to fall asleep to, just for old time's sake.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dr. Quymn is redeemed wholly by that one gag of Doc rolling like a rag doll off the jeep.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Even with such a cerebral show it's still the stupid sight gags and puke jokes that get me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BooDoug187 posted:

I love the moment when Brock shows up, beats the living poo poo out of the real ghost. The Pirate Captain just stands there and says "Well... I coulda done that!"

And then SNATCH CHORD CRASH SMASH CUT CREDITS

Lots of shows were doing great things in that era with the "super-fast-paced twist in the last 2-3 seconds before cutting to credits" thing, but that VB ending put them all to shame.

Except maybe the Broodwich.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bob's Burgers.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's Jon Benjamin.

God dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

DoctorWhat posted:

Man, the adorable relationship between The Monarch and Dr. Girlfriend is the best part of this show.

That or the music when Hank grabs the prop sword and shambles down the hall to kill Doc in Assassinanny 911, which I just watched.

Jesus, how it captures "everything sort of on its side" with barely even any real notes.