Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

axleblaze posted:

I think this is mostly just a thing they're doing with the Alamo Drafthouse, which is mostly just in Texas.
They're building one here in SF so maybe for the season 6 premiere... :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

That was a good premiere and the '80s comic nerd in me is hoping that this:

quote:

We're also looking ahead to next season. Doc and I have big plans for season 6 and are champing at the bit to get started writing it. But first we have to write the script for our proposed long-form Venture Bros. special. We've got a pretty epic story planned, involving an epic number of cast members in an epic setting, so it's a pretty epic task ahead of us. The story will bridge seasons 5 & 6, so our mission is to tie up a lot of threads from season 5 (and 4, and 3…) and start a few new ones in the process. The sooner we write that, the sooner we'll write season 6--and the sooner we do all this writing, the sooner we'll be back on the air. My hope, as always, is to tighten that interminable gap between seasons--because I don't like waiting to show you new Venture Bros. any more than you like waiting to see new Venture Bros. So wish us luck…
is basically like Venture Brothers Secret Wars [unless Any Which Way but Zeus counts for that] or maybe those X-Men crossovers where they go to Valhalla.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Is there a hq youtube or MP3 of what in my mind is "the super science song?" The one with the fast arpreggiated synth and the chorus?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Bobulus posted:

edit: Wait, are you thinking of the one that goes "zoom zoom zoom zoom zoom zoom zoooom"? Because I don't think that's on there.
Yeah, every time there's a filmstrip or testicular torsion PSA.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Good episode, the Murphy bed joke made me laugh out loud.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

afterhours posted:

Is there a reason Dean is wearing a hair net?

So he doesn't get hair inside of Helper? Rusty doesn't have to worry about that.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Why didn't they make a "Beaver Inspector" shirt?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

LuchadoresDelNixon posted:

Arrested Development's Buster.

That chair is a famous piece of '70s/'80s kitch and not an Arrested Development reference, they include tons of famous furniture designs all over the show.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Honestly John Hodgeman and Dana Snyder in the last couple episodes are way more noticeable to me than "21 talking like a robot."

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

priznat posted:

Totally fair point, although for me Dana Snyder is more "The Alchemist" for me now than he is Master Shake. Haven't watched ATHF in ages and I much prefer Al's character anyway (who wouldn't??).
I mean how Snyder was both one of the "agents" and the Alchemist in the same episode and how Hodgemen's voice last night was exactly the same as when he was a Hale brother.

There's people who "do voices" like Billy West or Hank Azaria and there's people who "do their voice" like Warburton or Dana Snyder. Over-using the latter, especially in a single episode, is distracting to me

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Vendata's "I'M COMING TO HELP" then ending up in the wrong room in The Revenge Society is one of my favorite bits ever, especially since they just showed that all the chamber sub rosa booths open into the same room.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

X_Toad posted:

So I remember seeing a bunch of scenes with Hank from the finale in the various trailers, but nothing with Dean. Anyone got a link to one of those perhaps?

I was assuming they were going to do a "what's up with Dean?" episode because there's been so much Hank and there's the whole thing where Vatred thought he was cutting, etc. but I guess that's not the case.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Winklebottom posted:

I miss General Treister :(

WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is fruit punch! And it is delicious!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

Midweek theory to argue over:

Rusty's attitude toward the Orb changed drastically from the episode when he found it and treated it very carefully and said he needed to study it to "The Revenge Society," when he couldn't give less of a poo poo about it. Maybe Rusty was actually competent enough to figure its intended use AND that it was broken.

I'd like to think he tried to activate it himself one night after a couple "red mocha coolers" and that's how he knew it was broken.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Did the Monarch dart the cab driver?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I honestly think that knowing there's going to be a season 6 changed the style a bit.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I kept waiting for a "here's what Dean has been up to" episode because they didn't show him doing much and there were the cuts on his arms and the like but the Myra episode didn't quite do it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

RandomPauI posted:

That's from the premiere of season 4.75. The invisible season.

Wait until the guys in Secret TV/IV hear about this!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

SRM posted:

I don't love that episode, but it's all worth it for Dr. Venture's flippant "Ew!" when he's told she's an epileptic.

Also "how you feeling, Broken Arrow?"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

RandomPauI posted:

So, what are the odds that gill-woman is a red herring?

Hell, what are the odds her name is Red Herring?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah I hope the plot thread with the picture of the monarch and rusty playing with his parents present isn't dropped. It was one of the few things they didn't get to follow up on in All that and Gargantua-2.
They did show Vendata in a dumpster. edit: or was it that glowing brain guy?

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 1, 2016

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I kind of wanted Watch & Ward to be on the council, they could talk about '80s synth pop more.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I wonder if there's more than one bathroom in their new penthouse.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jet Jaguar posted:

I really need to go to Sketchfest one of these times.

https://twitter.com/danasnyder/status/822315728837623809

There's still tickets for this BTW.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Sketchfest thing was how I imagine a con panel, mostly bullshit (funny bullshit) and a lot of war stories about Dana Gould trying to reboot the Jetsons. Only a couple super nerd questions, one about retcons and the worst which was "what D&D class would you be?" The highlight was James Urbaniak proposing to his girlfriend.

The only tidbits for the future were that they're about to start production on S7 and there probably won't be any Trianna. (He left to door open for Dermott though)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I believe the correct reaction is :justpost:
He described it as "pissing up a rope for four years" and talked some poo poo about TV executives I didn't recognize. The best non-Venture line of the night was about Comedy Central [Doc pitched it to them unsuccessfully before adult swim]: "If you handed them a solid gold bar they'd get it bronzed."

One other funny thing: someone asked them if they'd had a lot of standards & practices notes and the two that came to mind were last season they had to fight to keep the Monarch's turd falling in the pool and ultimately shortened it and in the pilot when Brock kills the alligator he originally set the corpse on fire, "had to, it was pregnant." Otherwise Doc said they don't get a lot of "notes."

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol can you imagine the kind of person who would watch any show on adult swim and write the FCC to complain about a cartoon poop?

There's people who watch tv specifically to do that.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dan Harmon has terminal sadbrains and all sadbrains nerds can't get enough of how funny self-hating melancholy loser characters are I like Rick and Morty

I like the Venture Brothers because even though most of the characters are losers or failures they still try.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"I am into costumed business" is one of my favorite lines ever.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hulu is indicating that seasons 1-5 are going away at the end of April, does anyone know if there's another service that's going to be picking up Venture Brothers? Seems really weird since the other Adult Swim content I looked at wasn't. VB was half the reason I signed up for Hulu.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have season 1-3 on DVD, I'll probably just buy 4-6 on stupid primitive discs.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"Oh poo poo, it's Chuck Scarsdale! Hide or we'll be on the news" is one of my all time favorite lines.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Bobulus posted:

I've got a gut-feeling that episode three this week is finally going to reveal the Monarch's motivation to arch Doc. That weird little dream he had in episode 2 seems like foreshadowing.

I've got a gut feeling that the incredibly telegraphed "Vendata is the Monarch's dad and Rusty caused or is thought to have caused the plane crash that killed his parents [plastic cowboy in the wiring?]" theory will pan out but a bunch of people will complain about how ambiguous it is because nobody just comes out and says those words in that order.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shindragon posted:

As for the airplane crash could have been a malfunction. Not everything Rusty touches crashes. Almost. :v:
They were both kids, Rusty could have said something off-hand like "I hope your plane crashes" right before they took off and the Monarch internalized that. He doesn't remember knowing Rusty as a kid either, that's why the old photo blew his mind.

I guess they could have both taken a trip through the SPHINX "washing machine."

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It's easy to expect some kind of secret half brother/twins thing but they've already done both those angles with Jonas Jr. and Dermott. I hope it's something innocuous and stupid [team plastic cowboy in the wires!].

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm happy there was a plastic cowboy callback but Rusty was in college at that point so it seems unlikely he left it there for 10+ years unless the custodial staff on Gargantua 1 was really slipping.

I'm enjoying the commitment to squeezing in crazy lore into stuff they wrote with no intent to do so. I'm reminded of "Where did you go to school - Super Crazy No-Way School?!" I'm also not clear on how the Monarch is dealing with basically killing his dad. Maybe killing Jonas too makes up for it?

Also Manstrong was a lame character but him saying "Sharky's Machine!" in Careers in science is one of my favorite line deliveries in the show.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Scooter_McCabe posted:

Dean sucks the life out of everything. He is the David Schwimmer of that show.

[Shore Leave voice] Dean.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

demota posted:

Are Rusty and Malcom the titular Venture Brothers?

There is an infinite supply of Venture brothers. I'm half-expecting a Jonas Sr. sibling this season.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Slamhound posted:

I believe he's based on The Impossible Man who's a child-like super-powerful alien shapeshifter. That's the kind who sticks around.

The New Mutants special where he has a shapeshift-off against Warlock was one of my favorite comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

TK-42-1 posted:

And yet still clearly visible

Stealth mode!