Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I just got caught up on the series through a complete rewatch after having had fallen off somewhere around season 5 (lack of money for DVDs and lack of access to cable). I'm enjoying reading through the backlog of discussion here. It looks like we typically have a couple of years between seasons; I assume it's reasonable to expect that we may be hearing more about Season 8 later this year or around this time next year?

As for the previous comments on Hank vs Dean accepting the Venture lifestyle I'm not surprised they're showing Hank as more accepting of it and wanting to do the costume thing. He's grown up idolizing Brock but remains idealized about what he (Brock) does rather than having a grim acceptance of killing others like his idol. Doing cape stuff lets him act out on those dreams without having to get his hands dirty. Plus that second Venturestein episode shows that he's pretty capable when hopped up on caffeine. I would say they'd spin it as a vigilante, but we only just wrapped up the whole Blue Morpho thing. We don't know a whole log about the capes in this world and it would be interesting to see if there's some organizational bodies for "good". The OSI appears just to be a regulatory group rather than a proverbial Avengers/Justice League.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Yes, but I meant on a larger scale. The CLA seems to be limited to the schmucks we've seen already while the GoCA and OSI appear to operate on a national level at least.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Best not to think about such things but if you want an on-screen datapoint, Rusty says he's 43 in Mid Life Chrysalis. Of course that's from his perspective and depending on what kind of clone shenanigans took place, his original birthdate could be earlier.

I still maintain that Rusty's cloning situation wasn't the same as Hank and Dean. Where Hank and Dean were clones to replace them as they died, I think Rusty is a failed clone of Jonas Venture Sr and there was only ever one of him. Jonas Venture Jr was the other outcome of that failed clone. The attributes were split early on in the gestation process. That's why Rusty was never good enough for Jonas, he was supposed to be an exact copy and anything else wouldn't live up to expectations. That's also why he sort of treats him like a failed experiment too. He cares enough about his general well-being to keep him around, but doesn't do much beyond that. It's very similar to the Blue Morpho. He kept him around as a cyborg until he became too much of a problem, then he dumped him.

I was wondering whether or not doc knew he was a clone and this would explain how he might not know but was able to know about and work with the facilities doc sr had to make Hank and Dean backups. I sort of wonder if doc and Malcolm aren't both clones as that would account for the loss of memory of their past. Did the Blue Morpho mention doc sr. having a son during their meeting about him being unable to get his wife pregnant? Could Malcolm and doc both be failed doc sr. clones?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I had forgotten about the plane crash bit, that would be a pretty good source of trauma wouldn't it? As for doc sr, I was more thinking that I could see them making his statement of "my science is potent" literal to subvert things for a gag. It's almost certainly not the case, but it would be amusing. If all you have is a hammer that makes clones, then everything pertaining to not having a person around starts looking like a nail after all. I don't think they should go down that road, but every-drat-body being a clone was certainly a popular part of Marvel history.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Series focusing on the banal bureaucracy of extraordinary things are always interesting to me. The gambling anime Akagi has a fun spinoff series surrounding an early antagonist’s life and times as a middle manager at the evil shadowy corporation running the death games the show takes place in. Similarly one of the tenants of Control was how the government is going to me the government about everting; even if that happens to be convening inter-dimensional entities and whatnot.

There was a marvel series about the folks that were contracted out to clean up the aftermath of superhero/villain battles, but I think it was more of a setting than an actual focus. I need to get around to reading it at some point.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I might be, can you post some photos? Also how is the quality of the shirt?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

I've gotta say, I've been turned off by the trailers because 99% of the purported humor seems to be "Swears are a substitute for jokes!" or "WOW that comic book character referenced sex, hilarious!" Are they misleading in that regard, or is that something I'd just have to grit my teeth through and try to enjoy the rest? I don't mind a healthy amount of juvenile humor—I'm in the Venture Bros thread after all—but I find that when comedies rely on the audience thinking that swearing is hilarious in and of itself then they tend to have really lazy writing otherwise and it's not for me.

Like the first episodes of each season are a bit heavy on the "hur hur he said a cuss" but it gets its feet under it pretty quickly and turns into a fun deconstruction romp.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So what was the whole deal with the Peril Partnership? That sort of fell off a cliff and went nowhere in a hurry. Bad writing or did I miss something?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Right, with the weather machine and whatnot. That just seemed so anti climatic to me for some reason.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

My memory is a bit lovely but the extent of the Partnership was a series of PP on your belt jokes, Red Death killing the poo poo out of some rando tough guys, and then the big bad leading things just being some guy on some island the meet and kill within a few minutes. It just seemed like they were initially going to be a bigger deal and it all got written out fairly quickly. I could be misremembering though.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I'm a decade and a half late to the party, but the series peaked with the season 2 intro. I had the worst possible quality Youtube MP3 downloader rip of that song on my ipod/phone for drat ever. I still have yet to find a decent quality copy of the version/mix of the song and it haunts me. Super love the reverb they added in when the talking starts back up. Kind of surprised they didn't swing back around and bring in that lady Doc claimed to have knocked up at some point.

Fake edit:Found a decent video of it that was recently uploaded, but I need to try and source a CD or whatever. I had it in my head that it was an Aquagen song and lord knows house music is an almighty pain in the rear end to find the exact right track when you need it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M4U5_Lyzh8

Warbird
May 23, 2012

You’ve got an extra period at the end of that url friend. I was looking at that earlier today and I’m working out whether or not I’m willing to import a weird German techno house CD because reasons.

The answer is naturally “you bet your rear end I am”.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So I got around to reading my artbook after others were talking about it. What's the over under on us getting the Pants Golem next season? They are in NYC now, it's right there.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Was TVB on Netflix for a period of time? I vaguely remember some show only having the first few seasons of its run and then poking fun about it during a later season announcement. I don't know if it was this show, but I could see them doing that.

Joke was something to the effect of "There was a season 4? - Netflix user" for the Season 5 teaser commercial or whatever.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Ok it was likely an AS bumper for Season 4 then.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Not much, what’s melanoma with you?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Goodness, I didn’t know he was wheelchair bound. Did they ever say what happened with that? Hopefully his PT is going well.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

Thanks to goons in this thread, I went to Discogs and took a gamble on the Aquagen CD. It came today, and it's actually the song from the episode! In decent quality! What a time to be alive.

Am I allowed to upload it somewhere for people in this thread? I don't know if an out of print CD breaks piracy rules, but I've never been able to find this song online.

Oh dammit, I knew I forgot to do something. How is the rest of the album?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Let’s assume 8 is the last season and it isn’t shitcanned immediately. Is that a bad thing? This couldn’t last forever and they’ve been trending to some sort of conclusion for a season or two now.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The following playing the hick squid with less than socially acceptable social/political views was a method actor it turns out.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

luxury handset posted:

it takes a lot of balls to be a bottom tier country music entertainer personality and take shots at dolly parton of all people

If you come at the Queen you had drat well better not miss.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Wasn’t movie night directly caused by Jonas/Vendata?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That and and the fact that the censoring is dong city barring like a single frame of boob iirc. Strong “this is what you all wanted, right” vibes.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

tarlibone posted:

But Venture Bros.: Lower Decks sounds fun.

Vench Bros: Hench 4 Lyfe.

It would be fun to have the show aggressively focus on some rando schmucks. Like have a regular Venture season going on in the background/on the horizon, but giving it little to no regard beyond henchmen X Y and Z getting dragged into increasingly insane/weird battles/problems while they continue to discuss/complain about banal subjects while fighting off crab people or OSI. Basically Seinfeld but with slightly more costumed aggression.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

qirex posted:

You’re describing Rosencrantz and Guldenstern are Dead like, almost verbatim.

Is that a good thing? I’ve never heard of the film until now.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/phillipbankss/status/1345864611116019712

Take a look at that can

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Robots pushing you down stairs is a clear and present danger in venture world.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Wait, when was Monarch dropping racial slurs?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Point of order, the Ünderland episode(s? idr) is elevated by the introduction of The Bat and the reveal that they're in goddamn Michigan. Still has problems tho.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

loving what

E - Oh man I had forgotten they were doing the reboot. Last year was really something.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 10, 2021

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Is clone high actually worth a watch. I've seen a few peeps talking it up, but last time I took goon advice on a cartoon I watched archer and that's some of the least funny matériel ever put on a television

On one hand yes, but on the other also yes. It’s intelligent and engaging; their angst is entertaining.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

poo poo yeah, I wonder if they’ll get budget enough for Colbert and all the other celebrity voices over the years.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

What if the finale is Escape to the House of Mummies Part 1? That’d be infuriating and beautiful.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh that’d be good. Where can you buy the pdf? I love the book but it isn’t practical to read on the go.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Counterpoint, show them the Season 2 opener for that sweet sweet Aquagen that they had to pay so much money for. They’ll hate it, but the some is a bop.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Did we ever get confirmation that Harvey Birdman was part of the Venture EU?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

I got the hardcover but read most of it on my laptop with a .cbr file I found of it, was easier that way

Could you point me in that direction? I poked around looking for one a bit ago but only came up with some sketch rear end looking sites. Happy to prove ownership of the real deal if needed.

e- Took another look around and it's pretty easy to find. I the dumb.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 28, 2021

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I have a monarch logo shirt, but it may be a knockoff. Haven’t seen it in ages though, no idea where it got off to.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

hope they got a decent budget.

Counterpoint, I kind of hope they got no budget. Just get weird and stupid with it to make things work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

FBS posted:

I hope they got a big budget and blew it all on one song.

This is the one true correct answer, but only if it’s the same song again.