Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

twistedmentat posted:

In pennies?

Eat the pennies.

There needs to be more Augustus St. Cloud. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34gATGTDp38

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Steve Yun posted:

In Assassinanny, Hank accidentally stabs himself with Molotov's poison heel and hallucinates Molotov talking to him. She has cold breath coming out of her mouth. What's that a reference to?

I thought it was just a call out to the fact that she smokes like a chimney, but I wouldn't doubt it being another obscure pop culture reference.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
loving KNIFE!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Abort! Brando's got us on our bellies, and he's reaching for the butter!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Please do not be alarmed. We are about to engage...the Nozzle.
Please do not move while the Nozzle is engaging.
Moving will disrupt calibration of...the Nozzle.
Please wait while we calibrate...the Nozzle.
Please do not look away from...the Nozzle.
The Nozzle is now calibrating.
The Nozzle is still calibrating.
The Nozzle has completed calibration.
Thank you.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sash! posted:

Eat the pennies

Looooooooooooooooooooooooop

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Bah! When you are harassed by Dr. Z, you know it! A giant metal crab would tear the roof off of your trailer! No less than SIX suicide assassins would spring from its belly! I would never stoop to striking at you through some civilian proxy! And I certainly not do it with a MADE UP SNAKE!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

This is legitamitely the best part of that episode.
All I could think was, "Yep. That's New York for ya."

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
OH MY GOD! This water is FUUUCKING FAH-REEEEEZIIIIIIIIINNGG! I am NOT properly dressed!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

tarlibone posted:

I love Shore Leave.

Oh... Sphinx!

But I do have that avatar, so...

Shore Leave? I don't know, go do... something....

White, you are such a SISSY!

Oh, I'm a sissy? You're calling me a sissy?

Oh, I get it. I'm out and proud and I'M the sissy. I'm brave enough to be myself in the face of assholes like you and I'M the sissy. Maybe when you come out of the closet, you can walk a mile in my jimmy choos. :rock:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Only problem with this is they already did it with Mr. Impossible. I still remember Phantom Limb's face when he realized the Impossible Tower was being powered by the constantly-in-agony Human Torch analog.

"I'm evil and this frankly shocks even me."

And you didn't think you had it in you to be a supervillain. This is the most deliciously evil thing I've ever seen!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm pretty sure "The Sovereign" was a title. We just never got the name of the shape shifter.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

smidgeonnn posted:

SMURFS DON'T LAY EGGS!

"Ogo...pogo! *glare* Plesiosaur!"

also from Twenty Years to Midnight when Rusty wakes up from that dream.
"Oh god. I thought I stopped having those dreams."
"ThAT WaS A WeIRd ONe!"
"Oh great. It can read my mind!"
"IGNORE ME!"

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Just the fact that they got Clancy Brown to do Red Death is amazing. I would love to know how far these guy's social circle extends to get Brown, Colbert, and Warburton to do voices for them.

"Now you're trying to make ME out to be the bad guy!"
"Yes! I'm trying to make you a bad guy! We're both bad guys! We're professional bad guys! DING! HELLO!"

also

"I guess you could break something small. Like...a toe?"
"We could take out his tongue."
"With a knife!"
"Or remove his heart!"
"Yeah! With a KNIFE!"
"Bigger knife!!"
"loving KNIFE!"
"Yeah...you guys are kinda creepy. I think this might be a stupid idea..."

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Oh yeah, I get it. I'm out and proud, and I'm the sissy. I'm brave enough to be who I am in the face of assholes like you, and I'm the sissy. Maybe when you come outta the closet you can walk a mile in my Jimmy Choos.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The guy is Peter Schumpmaker. Lord knows what a schump is, but you can bet your bippy his ancestors made them. What he's doing is far worse than crafting fine schumps.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

:vince:

I've watched this show a dozen times. How do I keep finding new poo poo!? How deep does Jackson and Doc's pop culture reference well go!? What does it all loving mean!? :psyduck:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

tarlibone posted:

They were indeed cut out of the story, with a knife.

They were excised from the narrative... with a knife.

... a bigger knife....

loving KNIFE!

JethroMcB posted:

As fun as 21 and 24's dynamic was, can we really mourn the loss of that particular pairing on a show where we already have:

- Hank and Dean
- Hank and Dermott
- Doc and Brock/Hatred/Orpheus/Monarch
- Pete and Billy
- Watch and Ward
- Tim-Tom and Kevin
- Red Mantle and Dragoon
- Shore Leave and...just about anybody

Like 75% of the entire series is pairs of men ping-ponging pop culture minutiae and insults back and forth because

Doe + Cardholder

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Heh. Nice onesie, dick!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

tarlibone posted:

Let's be honest, here.

Even if Season 8 were already approved, it's still just Season 7 for the foreseeable future. I'm emphasizing that because we are talking about a future we can foresee. Who knows what will be happening in 2525? I mean, if man is still alive... if woman can survive... what may they find?

I, too, understand and approve of this reference.

That is all.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The worst part about the Red Death was the too-on-the-nose call back to Taken. And it was still awesome because Clancy motherfucking Brown! :swoon:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

tarlibone posted:

Broodwich.

I love the alternate dimension art style.

I haven’t seen past season 7, but the Broodwich is my favorite episode. I can still quote the whole broodwich intorduction by heart. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Never forget Henchman 1.

One of the greatest monkey's paw moments in VB is the overly serious, melodramatic goon getting wasted in the most uninspiring, goonish way possible.

Getting Brockness Monster'd

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Fighting Trousers posted:

RIGHT. Geez, I can't believe I missed that.

This whole time, I thought Tompkins and Jared were both professors considering how Tompkins was loving with him when they were first introduced out of costume. (And Jared is drawn in that ambiguous way that made me think he was at least in his early/mid-thirties.) His being a student makes his random jobs make a little more sense but paints Tompkins as an even bigger dick.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The TV IV › The Venture Brothers: A body like Arnold with a Denzel face.

I was simultaneously not expecting and yet completely not surprised Shoreleave would pull out a Salt-N-Pepa reference.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Doc was super cagey about the details. (Meaning he gave none.) He even joked about allowing us to make up our own reason for the injury and listed out some specific examples he would accept. Dude was super lighthearted about the whole thing.
The Fudgie the Whale bit was amazing, especially since they couldn't let it go. Every time they saw the guy in the Fudgie suit through the back doors after he left, they'd point him out.

I was lucky enough to get to be one of the questions at the NYCC panel, and they were handing out character model and 'tween drawings from the Korean studio they contract out to. Here's the one I got:

The girl behind me got one that was one of the shots of Gary talking with Shiela, and there were a bunch of notes scribbled on it. I wanted that one. :v:

Also, the Dark Horse booth was clearance selling everything the last couple hours of the con, and I was able to pick up the Go Team Venture book for $20. :woop:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

graham cracker posted:

I'd like to think it would go a little something like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmpAx8Z5z40

:stare:

That's really well done for something made 11 years ago.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Pershing posted:

James Urbaniak has done a brief and funny director's commentary for Kevin Spacey's recent Frank Underwood video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYrd3ajplcY

Pro-loving-click.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Phantom Limb is a wanna-be old-school villain. Even at his most bad-rear end, he was calling a Blackout Team to kill the Venture Family instead of doing it himself. He has the *ability* to do cool things (as evidenced by his escape from Guild custody), and might even have telekinetic abilities, but all he *really* wants to do is be ~important~ and have people *under* him. Remember back when he *had* Dr. Girlfriend again when The Monarch was locked up and she was all :rolleyes: that he was more interested in selling art and hobnobbing than doing villain poo poo?

His rant about the Mona Lisa actually inspired me to look up the history myself.

Venture Bros: Teaching people poo poo since 2001.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Did you say...AN ORPHAN?!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Warbird posted:

I just got caught up on the series through a complete rewatch after having had fallen off somewhere around season 5 (lack of money for DVDs and lack of access to cable). I'm enjoying reading through the backlog of discussion here. It looks like we typically have a couple of years between seasons; I assume it's reasonable to expect that we may be hearing more about Season 8 later this year or around this time next year?

As for the previous comments on Hank vs Dean accepting the Venture lifestyle I'm not surprised they're showing Hank as more accepting of it and wanting to do the costume thing. He's grown up idolizing Brock but remains idealized about what he (Brock) does rather than having a grim acceptance of killing others like his idol. Doing cape stuff lets him act out on those dreams without having to get his hands dirty. Plus that second Venturestein episode shows that he's pretty capable when hopped up on caffeine. I would say they'd spin it as a vigilante, but we only just wrapped up the whole Blue Morpho thing. We don't know a whole log about the capes in this world and it would be interesting to see if there's some organizational bodies for "good". The OSI appears just to be a regulatory group rather than a proverbial Avengers/Justice League.

This would be the Crusaders Action League.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Pershing posted:

James Urbaniak is going a little stir crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvHDujFOxOU

Nice.

I jumped back into his youtube videos and holy gently caress. I completely forgot he did a mock commentary over Kevin Spacey's creepy rear end video from a million centuries ago.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Cojawfee posted:

"What is this place called?"
"Deutschland"
"Germany, got it."

Location names across languages is a super interesting topic.

"Germany" in Russian is Германия (Germaniya)
But "German" (the language) in Russian isn't Германский (Germanskiy) like you'd expect. It's Немецкий (Nemetskiy) where the root "Немец" means "a mute" because foreigners don't speak Russian. :colbert:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, but anything with Aziz in it would be better if he wasn’t in it. He’s like Jason Mantzoukas where he shows up in everything and always annoys me when he does.

Mantzoukas' best parts were in John Wick 3 and that one episode of HarmonQuest.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I am Reverend posted:

I have a soft spot for season 1 but even then I think Brisby is kind of a slog to get through considering the plot is basically:

Brisby asks Doc to clone him
Doc says no
Brisby knocks him out and takes him to a different room
Brisby asks Doc to clone him
Doc says no
Brisby knocks him out and takes him to a different room
Brock comes in and kills everybody

It's a shame because I like Brisby's character design and it works really well with the limited animation of season 1

But....but the Oranges!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I woke up this morning to almost 200 new posts and knew only two things could cause this: season 8 within the next 3 months, or cancellation.

:rip:
2020 really is the worst loving year. :(

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Brock Samson's whole thing is a Race Bannon riff, but feels like the general deal is an exaggeration of a pulp man's man in general, the idea of a Duncan Idaho type badass bodyguard who wrecks generic henchmen all day taken to the point of being a slasher movie monster.

"Agh! It was horrifying! His calf rolled up like a window shade!"

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I love that OSI doesn't even bother wiping Pete's memory because, what is he going to do?

"White, you lazy bastard! If you had even an ounce of that little boy's moxie, I'd be cleaning you like a toilet seat!"

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I mean, he's still super fit. But when you get up real close, he's totally hitting that age where men start to look like somebody's aunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

X_Toad posted:

That one, right there. I think that's the one that makes me laugh the most. Especially combined with Dragoon's previous comments of "That is a mug." and "Am I missing something here ?".

That entire scene is gold.

"I leave you alone for 5 minutes, and you become a Vaudeville routine."
"Well MAYBE its because you turned us into a hackneyed premise!"