Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.
So I went all in with this game on the Collector Tier and paid my monies. Am I missing a step now? I didn't receive an email or anything with a code on it. I didn't see anyway to create an account on their site so am I just waiting for an email at this point?

Thanks for any info!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Multiplayer is such a huge deal for me and my friends. I've put an obscene number of hours into DOTP 2HG and have loved every second. I think if you do a 'Headed-Giant' type format the flow isn't too bad. The key is to have a team all take their turns at the same time instead of one by one.

I've never felt like the waiting was too long in DOTP and if they could mirror that kind of play style and possibly even add a 3HG type variant I'll need new pants. :fap:

If they institute some kind of 2HG drafting system then I may never play another game again. :newfap:

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Finally cashed in my Collectors Tier and started to play. Is there a way to change your password or am I just an idiot?

Also do they not support a 2560x1400 resolution? Just making sure I'm not overlooking stuff!

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Hey Goons, I've been playing Hex a little more recently and had a few questions I'm hoping some of the more experienced players can answer for me.

1. Is there a way to get a higher resolution than the 1920x1080? I have a 30" screen and would like to play at native.

1a. My resolution setting never seems to save but my audio settings do, is this a known bug?

2. Has there been any word or comment from a Dev about multiplayer modes in the future? (2v2, 2HG, etc..) With DOTP 2015 cutting their multiplayer modes out I was hoping HEX might one day be able to fill that hole for my friend and I.

3. I'm a Collector Tier person should I have gotten some beta keys or something? My friend who introduced me to Magic 100 years ago has never played HEX and I think he'd love it, but I've never received any keys or anything.

4. If I wanted to make some quick Plat is it better to sell Primals or open them? I saw the cost post up above and I wanna say just selling the pack makes more sense for just pure Plat to draft with; or would I be better off opening Primals and selling regular boosters? I'm so loving bad at AHing in games.:cry:

5. Are there channels or anything you can hook up with other goons at?

Thanks for any info you guys can give!!

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Go RV! posted:

2. Planned, yeah. No dates or approximations though.

3. Everyone got an extra beta key maybe a month ago or so.

4. Last I checked, Primals were selling for approximately their EV. So, it really comes down to if you think you're lucky enough to pop an Angel/Vamp King.

Boosters are already super deflated, so I wouldn't sell them unless you really need a quick shot of plat. Draft and do well? I'm not really an AH guy either sadly.

5. I think there was an irc channel?

Thanks for the answers! Does anyone have an extra Beta key they're not using? I must have missed that email with the extra key. I'd be happy to trade some boosters or something for it when the trade option is put in.

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

I'm super excited for Set 2 and PvE but I hope that we see some technical upgrades along with it. What I mean by that is Support for more wide screen resolutions(2560x1600 por favor), a full screen windowed mode (So I can screen share easier dammit!), and of course a more fluid UI.

Also Multiplayer, and better yet Multiplayer Draft! That would be so :black101:

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

I only use my Collectors Sleeves because I think they just look really awesome. It has kind of a 3-D Necro Book look when they're all stacked up in your deck. :spooky:

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

So is there going to be any deck worth playing in the VIP tourney that's not Vampire King/Angel or Gorefeast based? With the tourney having an entry fee I assume you're only going to see the few Tier 1 decks.

As somebody with no Vampire Kings or Angels and not crazy about Gorefeast decks, I prefer control, what is a poor peasant supposed to do?

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Hey Afgad can you add me to the spreadsheet too? HEX name is Rylek as well, and I'm EST. I'm also game for any inter-Goon or Goon vs. World shenanigans that come up, just let me know.

I've been running a slightly modified version of the Pact deck and I like it a lot. I want to test it out more against B/D control, but I don't ever seem to run into that in the Proving ground. I've hit R/D control a lot recently along with a lot of Zombie Plague decks, I need actual practice partners.

Also what are your guys thoughts on Curse of Oblivion(http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/cards/cardid=21)? Good card, Bad Card, Sideboard Card?

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Do you guys have any cool decks you've been running? I'm sitting here at work bored and was trying to brain storm some ideas for a few new decks. Deck building is not my strongest skill set with TCGs so I always like to try and get inspired by what other people are running.

I was thinking about trying to build something around Relentless Corruption because I really love that card and think it has fantastic art to boot! Would also like to make a non-poo poo tier Pack Raptor deck, if that's even possible.

So what have you guys been tinkering with lately?

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Afgad posted:

I've been tinkering with a deck I call Patience. It's a mono wild deck.

My idea was: maximize the value of every single card. Each card should be a bomb, if given enough time. The only cards in the deck that are not bombs directly give me more time. Here's the deck so far -

4x Howling Brave
4x Giant Caterpillar
4x Crash of Beasts
4x Wild root Dancer
4x Nature reigns
4x Turbulence
4x Plant garden
4x Verdant Wyldeboar
2x Wild aura
2x Pact of life
24x Wild shard

So once this deck gets going even resources are amazing to draw. The longer you play, the more valuable your top-decking becomes, until eventually almost anything you draw will win. So have Patience! :)

I designed the deck around these questions:

How to deal with board clear?
Crash of beasts is efficient the very first time you use it. A 3/3 crush is no laughing matter. As the game goes on, it just gets more powerful. If they play extinction, the high value of your top-decks helps you get back into the game fast. Plant Garden also sits there, waiting, giving you hp, and so will make an opponent wait on using extinction (they'll want to kill the plant.) This buys you time. Have patience.

Out of all of the cards, only Howling Brave is easy to kill with soft removal. Caterpillar becomes 0/4 the turn after it's put out, so the window of opportunity is small. Otherwise, it take two burns, two heat waves, or many sorrows to budge the lineup.

"But wild root dancer is easy to remove as well!" Well, play him when you already have a resource you can play. You can add +2/+2 before they have a chance to burn him out. Using a resource does not pass priority!

The wyldeboar is not open to control until it is an 8/8, as long as you play it at an appropriate time.

How to deal with soul marble and solitary exile?
Nature's reign can clear both. I've won so many confrontations this way. They exile my rhino away and attack. After they attack, I free the rhino and kill whatever troop they have out.

How to deal with orc aggro?
Howling brave is an excellent chump blocker. Catepillar becomes 0/4 on turn 2 if you also have a howling brave. 0/4 will block most orc troops.

Flyers are also annoying, so I put in turbulence. I'd probably sideboard one or two of them, depending on who I am up against.

I'll make more commentary on this later. But I've had good success with this deck, even against tier 2 and tier 1 decks. I'm still tweaking parts of it (wild aura is a new experiment. Honeycaps are on my list too.)

I'm a big fan of mono Wild, and you use some not commonly used cards- Good Job! Definitely going to make a version of this based on what cards I have in my collection and try it out. Man, I can't wait until they have more guild functionality.

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

How long did it take to complete a VIP tourney?

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

LightReaper posted:

Gonna hopefully crush this VIP Constructed, come chill out! http://twitch.tv/lightreaper

:emo: :emo:

I feel like if I had more time I might have won that last game. Oh well, good games LightReaper. Crazy I got you in the first round.

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

My VIP tourney experience left a lot to be desired, I will unfold the saga below:

I'm running my variation of the W/B Pact Deck for the tourney.

Match 1: I draw LightReaper out of 120 some people and realize that the gods are against me from the start.

Game 1: LR gets turn 2 Soul Marble and some dudes and I Pact myself to death in a desperate attempt to find an Extinction.

Game 2: LR has an invincible Lixil on turn 3!! Gets a Soul Marble out and things look bleak. I Relentless a Judgement from LR which allows me to Reset the board(Except for Lixil :argh:) and with my life gain I'm able to crawl back into the match on the back of a Colossus, and eventually take the win.

Game 3: Toward the end of our epic game 2(30min+ game) I realize I've done a terrible job of time managment and have like 5 min for game 3. I try to play as aggressive as I can and had a strong board with a colossus out, but LR knowing time was an issue for me did a good job of just delaying and buying time. We GG each other as my time expires and I fall to 0-1.

Things I learned from my match with LR, Crush(aka Trample) does not work in Hex like it does in MTG. A 3/3 invincible Lixil can block a 9/9 crusher and nothing goes through. I was expecting 6 points of crush damage and was sorely mistaken.

Match 2: Feeling I held my own with one of the best Hex players on the planet I'm confident going into game 2. I'm matched up against a R/D/S Inspire deck.

Game 1: I get a good draw and have both pacts out by turn 4. 2 more Pacts of Life later and the guy can't keep up with my ability to dig for any answer I need. He eventually succumbs to the hoofs of my Rhinos.

Now here is where things get wonky and I start getting pissed. After having clock issues in my match with LR I'm paying extra attention to my clock and making sure I'm making my decisions quickly. I notice that I'm starting to get weird lag in my match and that my clock never stops ticking. My opponent will be drawing/playing cards and my clock is ticking while his is as well. So Game 1 which only went 10-11 turns leaves me with just over 10 min left on my clock.

Game 2: I get another good draw with 2 extinctions in my opening hand and proceed to let him play out his hand then board wipe him. I dispatch him fairly quickly but the clock issues persist. I'm spamming space bar during his turn and was losing almost a minute of time just during his turn! I win the match with 32sec left on my clock. I'm now 1-1 in the tourney.

Match 3: I get matched up against another R/D/S Inspire deck, and being conscious of the clock issue I'm having I spam Space Bar like its going out of style.

Game 1: I get a bad hand but some early good draws bring me back. I've wiped his board numerous times and am 1 turn from winning the game. Clock issues continue and I'm down to 15min on turn 8ish. He has the Graveyard Inspire enchant out with a gazillion inspire guys in his graveyard. He then plays Legionnaire and proceeds to wipe my rhinos and spiders gaining himself 30 some life in the process. I then spend the next 14min grinding him down watching as my clock never stops ticking. I win the game with 90sec left then proceed to lose the match 1-0.

Match 4: Knowing I have no chance to win 2 games with my deck fast enough with the clock issues I'm having I attempt to disconnect and reconnect hoping that fixes the issue. I reconnect and get back into the tournament lobby. I see the 'Starting' happen and then get stuck at a screen of stars. I'm unable to reconnect to the game completely and lose 0-2, finishing the tourney 1-3.

So the whole thing was very disappointing and I feel I had a really good chance to go 3-1. I submitted a ticket requesting my Plat and Ticket back since I feel I didn't get a fair shot during the tourney. All in all I enjoyed the format and am looking forward to the Sealed version here soon. Happy to hear you went 4-0 LR!!

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Crosswell posted:

Do you have a terrible machine? I had similar clock issues until I stopped playing with my laptop unplugged in power saver mode.

Edit: also if you can't do anything about your rig you should definitely not play tupact.

I run an Intel 4760k, 16GB of RAM, 2x780ti in SLI, and only use SSDs. I never actually looked up the minimum specs for HEX but I assumed my system would be able to handle it. I've never had this issue in any of my HEX games before.

In good news they refunded my entry fee, and I'll just have to try harder during sealed to get those AA cards!

The patch notes look interesting but 2 of the known issues seem pretty huge to me:

Cards no longer shake when triggering
Cards that attack no longer shift up when attacking

Those 2 things are pretty fundamental to conveying information to players when stuff happens. Hopefully it doesn't confuse any new players too much.

Also didn't see any mention of higher resolutions or a borderless windowed mode. :bahgawd:

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

I hope they push at least basic Guild functionality soon. I just want to chill in Hexagoon chat and talk decks, tiers, and tourney stories with other goons while I play.

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Here is Stovetop posted:

So some of those tourney breaking bugs. I played a game with Rylek the morning after the patch, for the first 3 turns he was able to play 2 resources a turn just by clicking on the resources before the client had time to react to the first one being clicked. I suspect he only stopped dropping 2 for 1 every turn because he ran out. We weren't playing a tourney, it was just for funsies in the proving grounds but yeah creates a totally unfair game state.

I was grabbing a quick game before work to see the new UI and I was shocked when it happened the first time. Then I tried to replicate it the next turn and it worked, so I figured I'd better stop.:sadwave: Even with 4 mana on turn 2 I still got 'Fisted' to death though! Was still awesome to run into a Goon, I forgot to friend you though Stovetop what was your in game name again?

Also last night I discovered that the Chlorophyllia card doesn't work at all! It just goes to your graveyard and nothing happens.:confuoot:

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Laugh at Baby Yeti now but just you wait! Soon they will introduce Lord of Yetis where all Yetis will receive +1/+1 and Rubywalk. Then Baby Yeti will be the one laughing!!:toughguy:

Ruby really does have some terrible cards, lets not forget those 3/2 crush ants. I end up with like 4 of those every draft.

Another interesting way to do a league/tourney is instead of requiring low tier cards in decks, to just either restrict/ban the power tier cards. I think without cards like Extinction, Angel, Vamp King, Time Mastery, etc... you would get some pretty cool decks that would naturally use less commonly used cards in cool combos.

Whatever we do a League/Tourney sounds like a cool idea.:neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Sacrificial Toast posted:

Somehow managed to go 4-0 again with a much worse deck.

My round 2 opponent had a priority bug in game 1, giving me a free advantage there. My round 4 opponent apparently DCed right near the start of game 2 with me up a game, and never came back. Kind of a lovely way to get the 4-0, but I guess I'll take it.

I would have killed for that pool. I can see that deck going 4-0 easily. I had to tri color in both my tourneys just to get enough playable cards for a deck.

• Locked thread