Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

What Fun posted:

So, I was VERY far into my first game as Ireland, from the start period to 1400. But I guess this patch changed all my technologies and instead of having 3 stars in legalism, I now have one. My demesne size is now 4 instead of 7. I guess I should just start a new game at this point, but I'm kinda pissed.

That is a really low Demesne. What is your current rank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

What Fun posted:

Yes it is. It was up to 9 before, but I'm temporarily wifeless. I am king of four regions, and I'm very close to putting the Empire of Britannia together.

^^^Like I said, this is my first playthough. I do have it on Steam. Thanks for your compassion.

Sadly creating an Empire won't up your Demesne any more. Use the people finder and get a wife with the highest Stewardship you can find, from anywhere. Then try to grab a dude to be your Court Steward.

Maybe you want to just edit the savefile to give yourself more Legalism, really. You're only 50 years or so from the end date, so there is no chance you'll actually tech up in time. That's a shame man :(

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

What's the purpose of Reforming the Norse Religion? What do you get from it?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Reveilled posted:

Really I would kill for some sort of Last Will and Testament mechanic that worked such that when your character dies (or even before) you are called upon to parcel out inheritances for your heirs, with succession wars if your heirs don't agree to the terms of your will.

NihilCredo posted:

This would basically be a cheat mode.

Properly implemented it wouldn't be; there's all sorts of awesome poo poo you could do. Heirs could plot to fabricate a new document, factions would spring up claiming that your last words were different, and it would be total carnage. It's not any more broken or unrealistic than "murder all but the best son". Do you think Tanistry is a cheat mode?

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 30, 2013

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Annath posted:

I want to start a custom ruler Thorgenics program to create a dynasty of genius berserkers. However, I prefer my genetic Wunderkind be legitimate, rather than legitimized bastards. Is sibling marriage possible, or only "giving a good tumble" on the down low?

There is a way to mod the game to permit sibling marriage, as it was added for the AGoT mod, but I'm not quite sure how to do it.

Keep in mind that the inbred penalty is probably going to cause some issues for your superwarriors.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I'm looking for a good place to start the :black101:. Tried to do Austiland (eastern half of Iceland) but get immediately subjugated by a Petty King from Norway, which leaves me with little to do. Any suggestions?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I'm looking to play a game where I reform the Roman Empire. I'm guessing a good place to begin is in the HRE. Any tips for going about this?

I've played before, though I have mostly had smaller empires (Spain, Ireland & Scotland, etc) so bigger ones are new to me. It is also a lot of land I need to get together.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

How the gently caress do you deal with Factions. I have a new one popping up every five minutes; my crown authority is plummeting.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Is there a decent updated guide to Republic play?

I tried doing some of that last night but ended up becoming a Feudal Duke when elected to the Dogeship. I'm thinking it's because I conquered some nearby counties. I'm trying to get individual control of some territory to ensure financial stability, but I can't figure out how to do it while also ensuring that Cities are my primary holding (and not Baronies). People used to talk about a Coastal Invasion CB, but the only one I have now is "Seize Town" which just gives me the town but not the county as a whole. I took a look at some Arumba videos but I'm getting the feeling that things have changed substantially with recent patches.

Also, I'm not quite sure what's up with Trade Posts. Is there a minimum intrigue needed to plot a coup for a trade post? Also, what's the best positioning strategy for them to ensure I pull down some serious :10bux:?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Excelzior posted:

You can only use the Seize County CB AFTER Seizing a City in that county (and dealing with the Truce timer in between)

Assuming you're not talking about being a norse pagan, who can use the Coastal Invasion CB to take any coastal, single-county piece of land.

Thanks, this helped a lot.

Out of curiosity, what's the deal with Galleys? I can build all sorts of buildings to increase the number of them, but as far as I can tell they're still only used to shuttle guys around. I understood them in EU4, where they could increase trade and blockade stuff, but do I actually _need_ them for anything?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Serperoth posted:

To transport guys. :v:

Ships in CK2 are basically super-fast super-safe cars for the sea.

Fair enough, I find it odd they actually think I'd need 200 galleys, though. It makes those buildings sorta worthless.

Reveilled posted:

Check out this one weird trick to stop vassals' wars, discovered by a local Anglo-Saxon king! Dukes hate him!

:golfclap:

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

lurksion posted:

Looking at the plot and regency events, chain-crown authority decreases seemingly shouldn't be that common.

The regency event has a MTTH of 10 years (though decreased by greedy/ambitious/arbitrary), only landed regents can trigger it, and the regent can only do it once.

The faction to decrease crown authority also has a 10 year cooldown (only on the members).

You guys must be really getting unlucky with a confluence of events.

It's not that unlucky at all. The regent decreases Crown Authority during your regency, and when you finally rule in your own, you have a whole host of negatives and lost power due to the regent so a faction fires right after you take office, calling to lower CA. For many people who play at Medium CA, that puts you immediately at Minimal, and now our vassals are super strong and you have almost no way to deal with it: you can't even raise CA because you decreased it as a part of the regency!

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I haven't played CK2 in months, is there any "Must-have" reason to nab Rajas if I don't want to play an Indian nation at the moment (e.g., like needing LoR to use Retinues)?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

:siren: CK2 is 66% on Steam now BTW, buy stuff! :siren:

Steam really needs an "All of the DLC for this I don't own" button. Getting DLC for CK2 or Civ5 is a real pain in the rear end since I can't remember if I lack norse shields or faces or songs or whatever.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I've encountered a strange situation. I can't Educate my own son. I'm just not in the list. Is this because I am on my Liege's council?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Rynoto posted:

Make sure you aren't tutoring someone elses kids. If your liege sets you as a tutor then it doesn't show a prompt.

Nobody is listed under my Wards, which is the confusing thing. The only thing I can think of is that he has me training troops, but I can assign a ward to my own marshal, so :shrug:

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Did they make it so you can't edit save files any more? I can't open the thing.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Rumda posted:

Is it ironman?

It is not, but I figured it out: There is a "Compress Game Data" checkbox now.

Would anyone mind looking at this game for me? my Liege recently pressed my de jure claim on Amalfi (I am duke of Salerno) and succeeded; I now have Amalfi. I'd like to capture Neapolis and tidy up the whole region, but I can't actually declare war on Neapolis, because their Liege is the former Doge of the Amalfi republic (who doesn't get to live in Amalfi because I own it now). How do I fix this? Also, and ideas as to why I still can't Educate Children would be fantastic. The game seems to think I'm living in Pavia (because I've been training troops there as Marshall) so maybe that's why?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28675812/Benevento914_03_26.zip

Here's a picture of the problem with the doge:

There's not even an option to declare war -- it's just not there.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

So, I'm a duke in the Kingdom of Italy. I actually own the territory of several duchies, buy my stupid co-dukes like to plot to revoke one ALL THE TIME. The only thing I could do to avoid it was to destroy the title. Is there anything else I can do?

• Locked thread