Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Subyng posted:

This is on sale on Steam right now for 9.99. For 19.99 I can get the Crusader Kings II Collection which includes a bunch of extra DLC. Is it worth it to get the Collection? Does it add anything substantial to the game?

Depends on what you want to do. The base game will allow you to play any christian feudal ruler on the map. Sword of Islam will let you play Muslims, The Republic lets you play Merchant Republics, The Old Gods lets you play pagans. Sunset Invasion adds an Aztec Invasion of western Europe to coincide with the Mongol Invasion (you can turn if off if you want to play a slightly less implausible game of CK2), and Legacy of Rome adds additional features for Orthodox nations, and Retinues, a small standing army you can develop over the centuries.

Legacy of Rome is the only DLC that really adds stuff to the game, though to be clear all the other DLCs were released alongside patches that added the unique mechanics of the countries they unlock for free, so it's not the same as the nickel-and-dime "already on disc" DLC it might look like at first glance.

Personally I'd say they're probably all worth it, though I confess I've never played a Muslim yet despite having Sword of Islam.

There's also a bunch of cosmetic things like music and portraits and poo poo, which might appeal to you but I am completely uninterested in (except the mongol face pack).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Randarkman posted:

Sounds frustrating, I really don't know how it happened but this is the end result in Sweden

This lady is as single-handedly responsible for ensuring the conversion of a country to Christianity, as there ever has been, unless you count whoever it was that baptised her. Her son (tutored by her) is amazingly enough still Norse though. But I guess she will beat him over the head with a bible 'till all he can is crucifixes the minute he turns 16. Also turns out that some of her vassals have soured on her, as some only have like 40-50 relation with her now, rather than the full 100.

Saint Gyla sounds pretty :black101: to be honest. Swear fealty to her, convert, help her conquer Norway!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Really I would kill for some sort of Last Will and Testament mechanic that worked such that when your character dies (or even before) you are called upon to parcel out inheritances for your heirs, with succession wars if your heirs don't agree to the terms of your will.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

NihilCredo posted:

This would basically be a cheat mode.

How do you figure? I didn't exactly post a fully fleshed out design document there, that's a pretty sweeping statement to say that a feature that allowed you some influence in how your realm would be divided would be a cheat mode regardless of its implementation.

I mean, here's some ideas off the top of my head:
Upon succession, you are expected to divide up your holdings and titles according to your succession law, with some leeway (maybe for gavelkind you have tolerances of no more than double the fair share and no less than half the fair share, while for primogeniture you could give some small holdings like baronies to younger sons). Then a copy of the will is sent to all heirs who can accept or reject the terms of the will. If everyone accepts, the succession goes through, if anyone objects a succession war begins and every vassal decides which heir they like the most and supports their side (enforcers vs objectors) in the succession war. So the more heirs that reject the will, the bigger the succession war is.

A will system would also allow you to pick your next character; maybe you are operating under primogeniture but would prefer to continue playing as your second son, well there could be an option on the screen for "continue as this character" (assuming that character is playable since his elder brother is getting all your old land). Then you could start plotting to steal the throne off your elder brother.

It would also give you some scope to break the normal succession rules if you were willing to risk a massive civil war over it. That'd allow for situations like Empress Matilda of England, who was declared her Father's heir but then overthrown in the Anarchy because the nobles of England would not accept her succession.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

A Tartan Tory posted:

Should I marry my characters 15 year younger niece in order to inherit most of England? :ohdear:

I can only imagine the abominations...

You can get away with a little bit of inbreeding without ill effect for the most part, poo poo like Charles II of Spain only happens when you replace your famiy tree with a pole.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Agnostalgia posted:

A republic that is duke-level or above and coastal is a merchant republic, unless its the vassal of another (king or above) merchant republic.

I think it is the case that Merchant republics cannot be the vassals of any republic. Last time I played as the Roman Empire, I made Flanders into a merchant republic, but when I gave the mayor of Paris the French title, Flanders (as part of France and therefore transferred into the vassalage of Paris) got turned back into a regular republic.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Annath posted:

e: isn't there a 'divine blood' trait added for use by the GoT mod that eliminates inbred risk? I can't figure out how to add it manually.

Kind of. If you inbreed you have a fair chance of getting the inbred trait, and a small chance of getting the lunatic trait. Divine blood flips those percentages, so you'll have fewer morons but more madmen. I think you need to make a trait and give it the attribute "divine_blood = yes" or something like that.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

NewtGoongrich posted:

The HRE blobbing and conquering it's neighbours is pretty accurate to the TOG start date actually.

But they're talking about the fact that by the end of the game armies are running into the hundreds of thousands making large empires unstoppable and their rulers near invulnerable because they begin to dwarf their vassals' and neighbours' levies by orders of magnitude rather than just a few thousand.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Argh, I just bought the Old Gods and now I can't even decide who to play as. Spent literally 30 minutes just clicking around the map before settling on not even doing the 867 start. Decided to play as the Mongols. My goal is to conquer London and become the Mongols of Wimbledon Common.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Is the give_title debug command broken for everyone else?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

LowellDND posted:

Reposting from last page - how do you get more then one province per war? Having a ten year treaty (or 350 gold assassin) after each war is slowing me down quite a bit. I have the armies to conquer Scotland, but apparently not the legal backing.

If you have a claim on a duchy you can grab that duchy and the duke's vassals in the area in a single war. If you have multiple personal claims, you can press these in a single war*. If you and the King of Scotland are both catholic, you might be able to request an invasion to take the whole kingdom if you are smaller than Scotland and the Pope likes you more. If you are of different religions and you are not an unreformed pagan, you can declare holy wars to take a duchy at a time, and if you happen to be the reformed head of the Norse church, you can declare a Great Holy War after 1100 to take the whole kingdom.

But since you're talking about a county at a time I assume you're unreformed norse using County Conquest CBs. In which case my suggestion would be to wait for Scotland to fall into a civil war, and attempt to ninja counties off of rebelling vassals. You have to be quick because if they lose to scotland before you win then your war just ends, but if Scotland were to completely break down you could, for example, declare five wars at once and try to steal one county off each rebelling vassal.

That, or park your chancellor in Scottish provinces and fabricate claims for you.

* EDIT: related, you asked where the button for this is, so just to be clear you need to have multiple claims in your own right (that is to say, they appear in the claims row under the titles row on your character screen). De jure claims don't count, conquests don't count, holy wars don't count, family members' claims don't count. Nothing counts for "press all claims" except the claims that you personally have. But if you personally have multiple pressable claims on a single realm, you get a special "press all claims" CB when you declare war.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 7, 2013

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Is anyone else running Girl Power, and finding that you have to enable it every single time you play? CK2+ seemed to save which modules I had turned on, but Girl Power doesn't seem to do this.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

A Tartan Tory posted:

Despot Macbeth of Scotland somehow got himself a CB on Wessex and is currently taking over all of the UK for me.

He started off as a Scottish refugee I gave Corsica to for amusement, went on to become Duke of Sardinia, then King of Scotland and is now almost Emperor of Brittania! :psyduck:

Why should I play the Roman fool, and die on mine own sword? Whiles I see lives, the gashes do better upon them.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Axeface posted:

Oh sweet christ, I am so awful at this. This is like the third Count of Ormond I've had to execute. Is there a guide somewhere that explains how this poo poo works? I really have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing.

Why are you having to execute them? Did the first one revolt against you?

If someone rebels you have a couple of options. As a traitor, you can keep him locked up indefinitely, execute him, or revoke one title and set him free. If you execute him, the title is going to pass to his son,and his son is probably going to be a bit miffed that you killed his dad. If he rebels because of that, and you execute him, the son's brother is probably going to take over, and he'll be double miffed you killed his dad and big brother.

Try revoking Ormond's title the next time one rebels, give it to someone with an already very positive opinion of you.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
DrSunshine, do you happen to remember Flintign's (I think it was his) Tweaks mod? It had an additional realm law for council positions. To start off with, all council positions are restricted from Women, beyond the usual Mother/Wife spymaster. If you were at least Ag-Cog, plus I think a few other conditions, you could pass a law that let women hold court positions (i.e. Chancellor, Spymaster, Steward). Then there were two further laws that passed in addition to this rather than replacing them. "+Marshal" Allowed you to appoint women as Marshals, but in order to do this you had to have a woman force her way into the position, and there was a rare Joan of Arc event chain that would trigger if you were losing a war that would create a female brilliant strategist and appoint her Marshal. "+Chaplain" allowed you to appoint women as Court Chaplain, but required you to be a heretic.

I was wondering if you'd consider adapting that format for Girl Power. I'm not sure if it's intentional but I'm seeing women as court chaplains in Catholic realms and women leading armies in the catholic world as a matter of course, and it stretches my disbelief a bit. I want my shieldmaidens and seeresses to be special dammit.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

KPC_Mammon posted:

Agreed, the most challenging aspect of reforming the faith is making sure other Norse don't lose too many conquests, tanking Norse's authority.

For those experiencing problems keeping Moral Authority up, is this a later-game issue? 16 years into my current game Norse authority is sitting at 76.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Grem posted:

When I do that it gives me that solid yellow bar, with no indicator that I'm looting, in fact, my earlier edit was wrong, I'm still not looting, what.the.gently caress.

So it says Possible Loot: 0

Oh well, which lands are unreformed pagans?

Are you able to toggle your units into raiders?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Strudel Man posted:

I'm thinking about a thing expanding the proselytization that you can do in pagan lands so that it's potentially available anywhere. Jiggering the numbers, of course, so that trying to convert independent characters of a high-authority faith has essentially no chance of succeeding, but potentially allowing you to peacefully appeal to rulers of a faith in decline. Crazy, or a good idea?

Good idea I think, I find the idea of sending my Seeress to France to convert the infidels from their barbaric christian ways rather fun.

Speaking of fun, I just got the event with the magic axe. I love this game.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Strudel Man posted:

Not just any magic axe.

Well yes, but I didn't really want to type that seeing as its a joke and hearing the punchline before you see the joke can sometimes spoil jokes.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I did, and the duke is called Grand Mayor but it's not actually a republic. It's like pre-Republic DLC times.

Did you make the republic on the "coast" of Persia, either at the Caspian, the Gulf, or Indian Ocean? Because in vanilla those aren't actually coasts as the seas are not navigable (the caspian being navigable by the norse doesn't count).

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Noreaus posted:

Are there any heresies for pagans, both reformed and unreformed - Other than "Old" when reformed, which can be easily dealt with? It seems like religious authority is meaningless once reformed, and completely meaningless if you don't want to reform.

No there are no heresies other than "Old [Religion]" for pagans, but doesn't a high MA help with converting heathens as well?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, they sort of won the war for Scotland and I have 9,000 men left out of my 100k while they have multiple untouched 20k doomstacks. I'm gonna reload and have armies waiting for them so I don't take that fuckoff no morale penalty and see how it goes, but they seem to have armies on infinite-spawn and if there's no AI between them and me to make them "settle down" or whatever and start playing by the rules...

The Aztecs should not be spawning additional armies unless something has changed in recent patches. They get two doomstacks, one from each of the two aztec landing events. What might be throwing you is that they get their doomstacks in multiple lots of 20k soldiers, and occasionally there is a graphical display bug with large armies where the display under the units shows only the size of the largest army in the stack. So what looks like 20k men might in fact be 120k men, which could be why your 27k army loses to them, and why they appear to have infinite reinforcements, because the death of one 20k army just means that the next largest army is taking its place at the top of the stack.

It's been a while since I fought the Aztecs, but fighting against the Mongols as a large empire is a case of gathering your army into a single huge host and parking it off the coast of the black sea or the med, and using a small fast army (I don't remember if an all-horse retinue moves faster than a mixed one but try that) to lure the Mongols on a merry chase across Persia and Mesopotamia or Cumania to the shore whereupon you dump every single one of your soldiers into an adjacent province and crush the Mongols in a single huge battle before attrition can kill them off.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 14, 2013

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Knuc If U Buck posted:

You can still offer for anyone in your court to educate them. There is no reason not to give your heir land aside from laziness.

If you are running primogeniture though, there's a good chance you'll be in your late 40s when your grandkids comes of age, and in that situation it's your dumb AI heir making the marriage decisions for them, not you. And they'll inevitably choose bad wives for your grandsons, and non-matrilineal marriages for the grandaughters.

Admittedly I play CK2 in a very "gamey" fashion rather than a roleplaying one, but generally I have found that the most efficient way to run a kingdom is to use Cognatic Elective and pick the highest-diplomacy young woman with the attractive trait from your dynasty each time, as that confers a net +20 bonus (after the penalties for a female ruler and female heir) to your relations with your largely all-male vassals, and skipping generations to pick someone ages 16-20 means you generally get someone who is going to reign for about 50 years, maximising long reign bonuses and minimising the number of times per game you put up with the short reign modifier. The best way to get attractive women in your family is to keep your entire dynasty at court and ensure you always get marriages to people with the attractive trait, and always get matrilineal marriages for your daughters and grandaughters. Passing out land to heirs isn't condusive to that, your son is never going to decide he'd prefer to marry his daughter to Dave the Sexy Blacksmith at a -400 prestige penalty over the son of his good friend Duke Igor "The Ugly" of Hunchbackia, but I sure as hell will if I have control over my grandchildren's marriages.

I run my dynasties like the Anti-Habsburgs, and never granting a single member of my dynasty a plot of land is an obsessive desire to micromanage, not laziness.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Knuc If U Buck posted:

The AI doesn't marry off landless male heirs in my experience.

Really? You've never seen a landless male heir?
Here's one:

The AI definitely does marry off landless male heirs.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I've got a similar situation where all my heirs are in my wife's court and none of them are married.

That's just as bad though, not getting married at all isn't any better than them getting married to the wrong people, the end result is the same, that they're not having daughters with a chance of getting the attractive trait.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I think I'm going to yield to autism here.

Eh, you're the one who called not giving your heirs land "lazy". Glass houses mate.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Knuc If U Buck posted:

It wasn't meant to be offensive, I thought you were being facetious with the obsessive attractive trait thing.

As a peace offering then, I shall permit you to marry one of my attractive granddaughters. Only slightly inbred!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ArcticZombie posted:

I'm currently the King of Denmark, after delegating some titles out to thin out my direct vassals I'm left with personally holding the Duchy of Sjaelland as well as the County of Sjaelland. I want to give the County to one of my sons so I don't have to deal with the mayors but I can't seem to grant this title to anyone. I can't give either the Duchy or the County to my unlanded sons, but one of my sons who is the Duke of Jylland can be granted the Duchy of Sjaelland. What are the rules on landed titles?

You cannot give away your last county.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Oh gently caress yes please. I thought that was hardcoded, how did you manage it?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

AfroSquirrel posted:

I tried this version as well, but it still crashes. The first savegame I click brings up a completely gray map with the wrong date, and clicking anything else causes the CTD. I don't have any other mods running, and have all the major DLC.

I had this problem too, I just assumed that Girl Power is not vanilla save game compatible. Haven't had any problems with my current game started with Girl Power active.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Strudel Man posted:

Reveilled, I have my changes here, if you want the generalized missionaries.

I also made a couple of other adjustments in there:

I won't have a chance to playt his until tomorrow, but I want to thank you in advance.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Nolanar posted:

where "(something)" is Paradox-ese for "controls the whole damned kingdom already." Any help from more experienced modders?

I don't know what the command is, but if you have a look at the events for the Roman Empire regaining provinces, there is a command called something like "completely_controls" in those events which means that every single holding in the title is owned by you or your vassals.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

LowellDND posted:

Should I ever do a standard marriage with my female cousins? Im looking at the matrilineal tab and its all family members.

The Matrilineal tab isn't a reliable list of who you can marry, it's more like an assorted selection of people the game thinks would be a suitable match for your bride-to-be. If you want a matrilineal marriage, you might be best to pull up the character tab, select "search all" and narrow the search down to men who are of your own religion who are not rulers and are not married. Not everyone on that list will agree to a matrilineal marriage (anyone who has a court title like Chancellor will not), but if you search a bit you'll find someone.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I think this is the best I've ever done with one character:

This is my first 867 start, and this is 921 just after my starting character died, so I'm not sure how unusual the stuff that's happening in Europe is, but the Magyars in this game apparently had no interest at all in taking hungary and were content to chillax on the banks of the Dnieper for 50 years, meanwhile the Khazars got expelled from the Steppes and apparently took their place. The Byzantine empire is still all together, and the Karlings keep warring back and forth over bits of Frisia and Italy.

I've been tanking the authority of catholicism, and the Queen of Great Moravia just went Lollard. I'm hoping that's a trend.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Is...your capital the Isle of Mann?

Yes, it looks better than having the crest sitting down in London making my empire look top-heavy!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I HAVE to put my capitals in their historical place. Forming Scandinavia as Jorvik pissed me off because one of my Dukes had Uppsala and I had to settle for Middlesex.

I normally do put capitals in their historical places, but since Britannia is ahistorical I feel justified putting it wherever I find most aesthetically pleasing.

And while officially my title might be Fylkir Iliana, Empress of Britannia and Scandinavia, in my head it's Iliana, God-Empress of the Imperium of Mann.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

marktheando posted:

Should I be getting raided by other vikings as a reformed viking in CK2+?

This is because I edited CK2+ to let me raid as a reformed norse, isn't it?

No this is actually normal, reformed norse and old norse can raid against one another in vanilla. Some idiot poo poo in iceland tried to raid me as the fylkir of Britannia and got a swift loving smackdown in the form of a holy war right on his rear end.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Ofaloaf posted:

...but how? :psyduck:

Your daughter isn't telling you who she is having sex with.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jastiger posted:

Is the Demo an accurate portrayal of the game now? I heard there were some updates. I just know I raised a levy, then I had these little guys running around Poland and I didn't even know what the gently caress. And quit.

I haven't played the demo in a long time, but I can't imagine it's too far from the base catholic game. There have been a lot of updates, but most of the changes for catholics are minor, and if you start out as one, even if you have all the DLC, your interaction with the changes will probably be limited to standing armies and AI interactions.

If you have questions about how to play we're more than happy to answer. My personal opinion is that Crusader Kings 2 is the "easiest"--or perhaps you might say the most accessible--paradox strategy game. There's an initial period where nothing makes sense, no doubt, but once you are over the initial hump the game is pretty straightforward, as opposed to something like Victoria where being able to play and understanding what is happening are not necessarily the same thing.

The generally accepted recommended start if you do purchase the game is the Duke of Munster on the Battle of Stamford Bridge 1066 start. You start on a discrete territorial unit (Ireland) which keeps you relatively safe from neighbours, you are the biggest fish in that small pond, you have a single vassal to deal with (which is better for learning than having loads or none) and England and Scotland generally erupt into chaos allowing you a good bit of breathing room in the early game. Your goal would be to form the Kingdom of Ireland, using strategic marriages and fabricated claims you can have your chancellor manufacture (slowly at random intervals) by sending him to do so.

quote:

More than 50% off?

There's no reason it couldn't drop to 66% or even 75% off during the sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Stumiester posted:

Um, is there a bug in the first TOG version (that I'm still playing)? Because I have complete control of the duchies of sicily and antioch as well as everything else, but the decision has them as crosses rather than ticks and won't let me create the Roman Empire.

Echoing what Strudel Man said, but especially for Sicily remember that Malta is part of Sicily.

• Locked thread