Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zero One posted:

But if you're at war at the time you can postpone it until that is settled.

With a prestige hit per month until you are officially coronated.

Fun things could also be done with papal investiture; you inherit the Kingdom of France but the pope won't crown you until you give the church a donation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Do kids of concubines count as heirs in non-Norse countries?

Like, could I raid Constantinople repeatedly until I took the Empress prisoner, then concubine her, :ese: her other kids, and produce a member of my house that would inherit the empire?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kainser posted:

Can't take rulers as your concubine.

e; but yes, children of concubines inherit on the same grounds as your regular kids and get claims etc..

so if I just kidnapped the princess of Italy, her claims will go to my sons right?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm trying to install a Norse emperor in the Byzantine Empire. Every time I win the 'Claim Empire' war and put him on the throne he gets booted off a week or two later, no war or anything. The title just goes to some other Orthodox doux, who then revokes the Duchy of Constantinople and I'm back at square one. What gives?

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 19, 2014

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Thinking about playing CK2 again, and getting the DLCs.

Last time I saw this thread it was a hundred pages ago and people were mad at Paradox... what was that about? The bugs they were talking about are long since fixed I'm assuming?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Porkface posted:

What determines which duchy which gavelkid gets?

I don't know but if real life functioned at all like my CK2 games do then a lot of fratricide went on.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wow gently caress elective gavelkind.

Guess never ever ever give any sons land that aren't your heirs because all the lords will decide they'd rather vote for the 3rd in line instead and the inheritance gets all kinds of wonky.

There's been a lot of brother killing. I don't know what else is to be expected when the older son gets every single title except for the primary though. It'll also create possible kingdoms automatically and give them to junior sons who can then be independent for free so now I have to kill my younger brother who became king of Scotland.

I get nerfing the pagans but drat that change where the vassal lords vote for whoever they like as long as they are in your dynasty kind of makes it really hard. In the last 4 successions only 1 time have I managed to get the primary title to the right heir because the vassals all switch up their votes right before my current character dies.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 22, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They aren't forming factions, and they all like me. The issue is just that they don't really weigh your vote anymore so you can vote for your direct heir but if some lords decide they like a different son for whatever reason they'll vote for him instead. Good relations just means they'll keep your dynasty in power but nothing else is guaranteed.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
As a Bulgarian I am excited to play as Ivaljo the Cabbage.

Thanks.

kingturnip posted:

The best way to deal with Gavelkind is to go full bastard.
Never marry anyone (fertile) and never take any concubines until you have an heir you're happy with. gently caress, shag, seduce and rut your way through every fertile woman within a thousand miles and once you've got an of age heir worthy of the name, legitimize him, have a few more kids just to be on the safe side, then break up with your medium-sized-city of lovers and marry someone for the stats.

This is actually a good idea.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Passenger Of poo poo posted:

I don't know but I saw it last night and it looks pretty neat.

Anyone have a trip report?

I'll play it later today, I'm a sucker for scifi poo poo.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Darth Windu posted:

Vikings own, I was like you and only played Feudal for a long time but tried vikings recently and it is fun as hell. You can raid for tons of money and you can sail from the baltic to the med through eastern europe. I converted to Catholicism and went feudal and held on to my stuff while surrounded by pagans. If you like war its a good route to go, alternatively you could reform the faith.

Also it's fun kidnapping daughters of nobles, making them your concubine, then pressing the resulting offspring's claims.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SeaTard posted:

A little known trick related to this. If you force them to be your concubine, they end up in your court. You can then immediately set them aside, and marry/betroth them to a son/uncle/cousin, gaining an alliance.

They'll hate you for awhile (combo forced concubine + set aside concubine), but it can be worth it in the right circumstances.

If you have the gold to spare you can send them a gift and demand religious conversion while they're your concubine and you won't get as big of a relations hit in the end I think.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I don't know but I saw it last night and it looks pretty neat.

Anyone have a trip report?

`Alright I played it for a bit. It's pretty good. The map is interesting, they managed to import custom models so there's space ships instead of horses running around. There's some pretty cool new mechanics and the factions are pretty well done. It's an incomplete mod, so there is a fair amount of missing tooltips. The custom portraits, models, and art are all pretty impressive though. There's new techs and buildings. The holdings are redone so a castle = a military fort. Didn't notice any spelling mistakes which is one of my biggest pet peeves with mods.

There's capital ships, fighters, bombers, etc. for your military units. I didn't get a chance to do a lot of combat but it looks interesting. A fighter unit is like 250 ships, and a destroyer is just the one ship, but the destroyer has attack/defense values in the 200s while the fighers are less than one.

The new tech system looks interesting, too. You can unlock cloning and clone yourself to get an heir. There's cybernetic implants to upgrade your attributes.

The vassal system is reworked into more of a military hierarchy. A duke is a fleet admiral, a count is a military commander, and so on. This means that there aren't any inherited titles, though. Pretty much everything is nominated by the president. I couldn't start as the leader of the faction I wanted to play since it was apparently a theocracy so I picked a duke. You have to have a capable heir to nominate as your successor or you'll get boned. My character died in combat and his heir was underage so my fleet admiralty went to another officer and I got a game over.

You can declare independence and be a space warlord but it seems like you need a pretty powerful military for that due to the way the levies are structured. I had like ~15-20 capital ships and 1000 fighters/bombers in my retinue and could raise about an equal force from my levies, but the president had a fleet with 880 capital ships in it.

It looks like you can redo the laws if you're in power to make it more of a feudal system, so as to more easily govern an expanding empire though.

Unfortunately I tried to reload an autosave after that and the game crashed. All my autosaves made it crash so I gave up and went back to my Byzantine game. It might just be an issue with autosaves, though.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 27, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bloody Pom posted:

Make sure you have have Old Gods and Charlemagne disabled. They aren't compatible and cause a crash on loading a save.

Ah that might be it, I have both of those. Thanks.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I mended the great schism and reformed the Roman Empire.

Now I've kinda lost motivation to keep going on this game. Although Franconia and Middle Franconia just exploded into religious wars and 1 province minors after Catholicism got declared heresy and I've been having fun eating them up one by one with the imperial reconquest cassus belli.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spakstik posted:

I'm getting raided by Vikings a heck of a lot while playing the Byzantines, seemingly as often as I get raided when I play other countries that're closer to Scandinavia. Do Vikings only raid the player, or favor raiding the player, or something along those lines? They rarely bring enough troops to successfully siege anything, but hearing the ding-ding-ding sound constantly while I'm trying to fight back two simultaneous jihads is obnoxious.

I didn't get that many raids as the Byzantines. I think it's just luck/opportunity or relative wealth of provinces that they look at.

They definitely don't only raid the player though. Maybe you're just the easiest target? I know I like to raid the hell out of France but once the countries actually form up and France is more unified it becomes way harder and I move on to someone else.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spakstik posted:

If it was a matter of strength, I'd figure they'd be going after all the OPMs in the British Isles. I think in terms of potential manpower I'm either #1 or #2, depending on who's in charge of the Abbassids. Ah well, probably just dumb luck like you said.

Well strength and wealth together maybe. A OPM in Britain is easy to hit but maybe they don't consider it worth it to steal 5 gold from there versus 30 from you or something.

Not sure though.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Is Ragnarr Lothbrok the same as Ragnarr Lodbrok but the d is like really funky.

If you're asking is the dude from Vikings in the game, the answer is yes. His sons are too: Ivar the Boneless and Sigurd Snake-in-the-Eye, and that other dude.

Vikings spoiler I guess:
One of the starting bookmarks involves his sons invading England with the Great Heathen Army after King Aella kills him.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 29, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I married my heir to someone and then pressed her ducal claim thinking eventually it'd pay off. Eventually my dude died and I started playing my heir. Almost immediately my wife cheats on me so I divorce her and instead marry a princess of that same kingdom.

Then I assassinated said princess' siblings so she became queen of Lombardy while I was emperor of the Byzantine Empire (yay personal unions). It was sometime around this point that wife #1 lost a war and was replaced as duke by someone else, and she ended up count of some random province nobody cares about. When the son eventually inherited everything I revoked her last title. Take that, idiot cheater! You could have had it all!

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 29, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
e: oh crap nm

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I wish there was a decision to blood eagle some fool regardless of historical accuracy.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Actually, there is one guy you can blood eagle: Aella of Northumbria, but only if you capture him as one of the sons of Ragnarr.

Oh well poo poo there you go. That's the only one I wanted to do it to anyway.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GSD posted:

I once saw the HRE go Monophysite. I have no idea how, it didn't seem like they married into the Ethiopian line or anything else bizarre like that. Just one day a Salian emperor somehow ended up a Monophysite and it ended up sticking. A few generations later, the majority of Germany has converted.

Some random viking count from Norway in my game is Orthodox and has converted his county to Orthodoxy. It's 901. Although I guess Varangian Guard could explain that.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spakstik posted:

An unfortunate truth that I just discovered about two hundred years into my Byz game. I put off conquering Rome because I couldn't remember if there were any repercussions for swiping it--there aren't, save for a very angry Pope--so by the time I did get around to snagging it, the Pope had already filled every slot with loving churches. If you're planning on taking Rome, do it ASAP so you can fill all those empty holdings with sweet, sweet castles.

If you take Rome as a non-Christian I think the crusades trigger way early which could possibly gently caress you. You're good if you're Orthodox though I think.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

So when you press a claim, does the claimant have to be your direct vassal for their new land to become part of your realm? Or is their something involving rank that applies? I pressed a claim for a prince of Germany on West Francia and all it did was make West Francia independent of the French Empire. Which is good I guess since I can absorb that territory much faster now but man I was hoping to just get West Francia.

The only way it becomes your land is if the person you're pressing the claim for is either a member of your dynasty, or they are already a landed vassal, or you are the de jure lord of the lands you're pressing the claim for.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I like to give a crusader state to someone then reload the save and play as that person or whatever. Start small again, see how the AI manages to make my carefully crafted empire explode into pieces.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Covski posted:

So, elective monarchy is a lot more tricky nowadays, isn't it? I've been having a hell of a time getting my vassals to vote for my chosen successor, even though almost all of them are at +100 relations with me due to my great party fixing skills. Are there any other factors beside vassal relations to you and your successor? I'm thinking I could solve it by landing a few more family members, but are there any more reliable ways to influence the election?

If it's anything like elective gavelkind they changed the way the AI votes. Instead of voting for who you nominate, a character who likes you will just vote for your dynasty. Oftentimes that means vassals that like you will still vote for the second son or something.

Landing more family members usually means the vote will get split up some more in my experience.

Broken Cog posted:

Assassinate all those characters that are more popular than your heir.

Either that or make them clergy.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah in my game India has halfheartedly tried to invade the Middle East a couple times but the giant blob caliphate pretty much handles them every time.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Elias_Maluco posted:

It would be could if we could actually deal with characters, like: I give you this title, you support my heir; you come to my court, Ill give you 100G and make you my chancellor etc, instead of every decision being based on opinion and fixed modifiers.

These are the kind of stuff I wish to see in CK3

Yeah that would be nice.

I want to be able to threaten people too, it's dumb that some count from a neighboring kingdom is able to plot to kill me and I can't go to their liege and go 'check it out I'm going to invade the gently caress out of you if you don't get that fool under control.' Especially when you're a massive empire threatening some 4 province minor.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
In my GoT game Stannis took the throne and promptly died of illness, Shireen imprisoned Myrcella who died in the dungeons, and sent Tommen and Joffrey to the Wall. Joffrey served until his death ~75, Tommen abandoned the wall at some point and became the leader of a band of outlaws. He died ruling over Whitetree at age 88.

I'm the independent Prince of Dorne, and Rhaegal is my dragon (Drogon and Viserion died 50-60 years ago).

That game goes off the rails quick but it's fun.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Simplex posted:

Thought I had a nice game going as Sigurdr then Ragnarr going, except I didn't know the intricacies of Elective Gavelkind succession. For those who don't know your heirs who don't inherit your primary title can freely split off and start their own kingdoms. Silly me created the Empire of Scandinavia and held all four kingdom titles thinking it worked the same as regular old Gavelkind. Ragnarr dies his heir dies in a duel a week later and suddenly I'm playing the Emperor of Scandinavia who only controls half of Sweden. And they all hate me. I try to start a war to reclaim some land and it turns out that all my relatives like the other guy better and join the war as his ally.

I really hate the tribal gavelkind system.

What will also happen is if you have the ability to create a same level title (like say Kingdom of Norway if you're already King of Sweden) but you don't want to since it'll gavelkind off and be independent, it doesn't matter because upon succession the game creates the title and gives it away anyway. Plus you can't just give the 2nd in line a temple or whatever since religious figures are still eligible to inherit.

I started a game as Sigurdr last night and quickly snapped up some nearby provinces (your personal levy is like 2x bigger than the surrounding 1 or 2 province dudes) enabling me to form the Kingdom of Svipjod, then started vassalizing all the other 1 province dudes around me until I basically had all of Sweden except for the Sumonesko in the north and a duchy that already belonged to Denmark in my realm.

Then Ragnarr's brother gets the Kingdom of Norway and I lose half the realm. Makes it loving impossible to get to a decent size without going feudal unless you do some super game-y poo poo. Gavelkind is fine I just don't know why they had to make the tribal/elective gavelkind so much more punishing. I either have to not marry and seduce it up until I finally legitimize a bastard or murder all my male kids except for one.

Add that to the change in how vassals vote for the heir and it's infuriating. I can't land any of my sons. I don't want to land my direct heir so he doesn't marry some idiot with poo poo stats, but I can't land anyone else because the nobles will all go 'oh well let's vote for him then!' and my first born gets hosed.

It wouldn't be as bad if I could just concentrate on raiding in the beginning instead but you don't start with any ships so it's not really easy to raid anyone worth a poo poo until 100-200 years after the start date.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 13, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Elias_Maluco posted:

Just marry him before you land him.

But yeah, elective gavelkind is awful.

Yeah but you lose a lot of control like that. But assuming you don't care about that, you still have to make sure you either land him and then don't land anyone else (since vassals seem to usually vote for the most recently landed son all things being equal), or land him last but then you have to deal with the other sons having had a bunch of lead time to build factions and loyalties of their own.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball posted:

welp, found your problem.

loving Rollo.

I just plotted to kill him before he managed to have kids and inherited his poo poo. The elective gavelkind really promotes kinslaying.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Deceitful Penguin posted:

When did plots have prices added to them? Could it be that they did that "money makes up for low plot percentage" thing?

Also, have the tribal Manicheans in the far east always started with, respectively, Tanistry and ultimogeniture?

Tbh, gavelkind only bothers me now in that it's annoying not knowing or having control over who inherits what. If you could have a little screen, where you moved titles around until they were equal or just got exactly what everyone gets after you croak it, it would be better.

Yeah. I don't mind giving my second and third sons some land but uh why do they have to take my capital holding? Your capital duchy and anything in it should be safe from getting parceled out, especially if you have tons of other titles for them to take.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Spreading 'Germanic' across the map isn't quite as :black101: as spreading 'Norse.'

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Accidentally ran my 9k stack into a 12k stack of Germans and somehow managed to kill the king instantly. His titles fell to his 2 underage sons and one of them decided to go independent as the duchy as burgundy. That's what you get, fucker.

My favorite strategy when I'm facing an overwhelming opponent declaring war on me is to beeline right for whatever army his king is leading (conveniently tells you where he is on his character info thing). I can usually get my army together faster than it takes the AI to raise and conglomerate all its levies so with some luck I can imprison the guy and force a peace before I get stomped.

Not super reliable since the leaders don't get captured very often even if you totally destroy their army but still.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I routinely use 'cash' and hire mercenaries when I'm in a tight spot

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tulul posted:

Oh yeah while I'm spitballing something I thought of today: There really needs to be an option to hilariously gently caress up your succession on your deathbed. Legitimize a bastard! Promise the kingdom to two different guys! gently caress your cousins too much and threaten the balance of European power! It could be fun.

You can already? Change succession law at the last moment, legitimize bastards, nominate a different successor, etc. Hand major titles to random family members.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Knuc U Kinte posted:

This argument is about how ridiculous it is to cheat the challenge out of a videogame. If you disagree with that, say so, otherwise shut your goddamn post hole.

Bro not everyone plays the game for the same reason you do so when you try to take some moral high ground about the proper way to play you sound like a tool hth

especially when you're one of those difficulty purist types that love to deal with bullshit broken mechanics in the name of a proper challenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Does the spawn of Satan event chain give you a unique religion so you can spread it or something for the rest of the game or is it just a one time thing for that character?

• Locked thread