Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
drat, Jorvik is a really, really hard start. I think I'll try a Scandinavian norse ruler until I get the hang of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

^^ You think that's bad, wait until you have a family member beg you not to sacrifice them.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

meatbag posted:

I had two sons, both went off to fight in the Varangian guard. The older came home more skilled and wiser.

The younger came home castrated and blinded.

Time to burn Constantinople :black101:

My son came back from the Varangian Guard a seasoned, badass warrior, but also completely insane. He'd seen some poo poo in the 'zantine, man.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

LogisticEarth posted:

Aww, I just looked at the game for the first time after the patch, and I'm disappointed to see that they changed the infrastructure improvements from stuff like "Wooden Palisade" to "Castle Walls I". It certainly feels like an "older" Paradox game in that regard. The tech changes sort of feel that way also. :(

Yeah, this is quite annoying. It seems like before it was easier to see at a glance how well developed a holding was.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

Thank Tyr the new patch fixed the unreformed pagan supply limit being tied to their tech levels rather than yours. That made absolutely no sense at all.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

OneTwentySix posted:

Is there a way to see other religions' Moral Authority levels, other than switching who I play as? I took Rome, and I've been plundering Christian sites for a long time, and I'd like to see how low I can get it.

Also, how can I find the Pope again, now that he isn't in Rome? He's declared war on me once, but I literally had 100% warscore immediately (before he raised troops, as I was paused), and even though I didn't force end it right away, he went down like a sack of potatoes since I had permanent raiding parties stationed in pretty much the entire area of Italy.

Look at the ledger to see other religion's authority levels. Down beneath your minimap there should be a button for it. Open it up and click through the pages until you get to the one about religions. The only downside is that it won't show heresies (except old pagan faiths), so I have no idea how well the Iconoclast Byzantium in my game is doing. Can heresies have heresies of their own? Do they even have moral authority scores?

To find the pope, use the title finder (again, under the minimap) and search for 'The Papacy'. He'll be the one who holds it. Used to be that if he was totally stripped of land he'd be banished to the Pope Dimension. Now he apparently resides in Rome, regardless of who holds it. Maybe he has a secret Pope Cave?

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I have seen kingdoms drift into an empire, you just have to have every last piece of them, without even missing a single barony. Also, as far as I can tell, no part of them can be held by a vassal who also has territory outside the de jure boundaries of the kingdom. With the amount of conquering my vassals do in my Scandinavian game, that means the only kingdom I've successfully absorbed is Wales, although it's worth noting that the title was unformed.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

^Agreed. It might even be nice if it starts drifting when you hold a certain majority (say 80%?) so that you can mop up those last few vassals via diplomacy rather than war. Granted by the time the 100 years is up they'll probably have been conquered anyway, but you never know.

Does anyone know whether putting a leader with miltary skills in charge of an army's flank gives the whole army their bonuses? I want to lead my own troops as a true Norse Fylkir should, but I also want those tasty Organiser speed bonuses. Also, is there a Great Holy War equivalent of the crusader trait? Being a viking, a beserker and a holy warrior would be pretty sweet.

e:

I love the beserker trait. *guttural howl*

Daktar fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 13, 2013

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

There is not. But it would probably be appropriate for Norse Great Holy Wars to give Viking in the same circumstances where Crusades would give Crusader.

I don't know about that. Viking just suggests your average raider. I think a holy warrior needs some a bit more mythic. Einherjar maybe?

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I just had the Ilkhanate show up in my Scandinavia game. Fighting them (well, getting my arse kicked) via rivers was an interesting experience. I'd taken most of the Russian Empire and Cumania, with just one last Seljuk holdout blocking my way. I had to assassinate him to grab his county, since I'd been trying to previously and had accidentally white peaced him. So with that done, I gathered together a bunch of boats and stuffed a load of men on them as fast as I could, sent them down the Volga and dumped two hundred thousand angry Norsemen on the Ilkhanate doomstack...

...just in time for my warscore to drop to -100 and for the Mongols to take all of Cumania off me. :v:

My consolation prize was that when the Golden Horde arrived the first thing they did was to take the last county held by Perm. The second thing they did was to try and grab Cumania for themselves. They went to war with the Ilkhanate and lost badly, losing the entirety of their initial doomstack in the process. So naturally, as soon as they were done I went to war with them, took their only county and unthroned the Great Khan before he could even get started.

Suffice to say, I like rivers. It's just a pity that you have to actively control them yourself after a certain point. I've been trying to play a more hands-off game this time, handing out kingdoms to my dynasts and granting them independence, but I don't want to lose those oh-so-handy routes in the Black Sea and the Caspian. Be nice if you could sail through territories that you aren't hostile with. Perhaps if the game took a small amount out of your treasury as your boats passed through them as a toll it'd be suitably realistic.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

Tell me my borders look pretty. TELL ME THEY'RE STILL PRETTY!

This is the result of me aggressively downsizing Scandinavia. I'm trying to keep hold of the Russian Empire area, Britannia and, of course, Scandinavia itself. Everything else must go, save for a few counties to keep the river routes into the inland seas clear and Venice for that sweet, sweet trade money. It'll be interesting to see how it looks in a hundred years or so. Practically everyone is part of the sprawling Dakthorr dynasty too, so there's claims and counterclaims and alliances all over the shop. I get called to war almost every minute.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

Yes they are. Just about the only place in the western world that isn't is Mali, because gently caress threading your troops through Timbuktu and Audaghost to get that place. They can chill out and do their own thing as far as I'm concerned. They managed to get conquered by the Moors, remain West African and get free again, so I figure they've earned it.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Doomdark put some post-release thoughts up on the Paradox forums. Of interest:

I really hope that one of these is better mechanics for theocracies and the Papacy. A college of cardinals would be very cool, and might make giving counties/duchies to priests worthwhile if they were more likely to become cardinals based on their power or wealth. You could influence cardinals that owe fealty to you to vote for your Pope of choice, and possibly get a relationship modifier with him if you were instrumental in getting him elected. Might cause problems if one of your cardinals gets elected Pope though. Where would his holdings in your realm go?

Also, abbeys in some form. Because I really want to see an event chain detailing the adventures of a mystery solving monk.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

gently caress feudalism, get money.

Morganites were my faction of choice in SMAC. I am so playing this once you bring it out.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

meatbag posted:

The Aztec DLC seemed successful, both financially and with regards to trolling the Paradox forums, so maybe they will do another alt-history one. Though I can't imagine a fitting event. Maybe the second coming in the year 1000 or something. I would love a DLC that expands court life, religious interaction and holy orders though

Zimbabwean invasion, spreading up from Mali across North Africa and then into Italy and Greece. Paradox can see how many racist grognard heads the can explode.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

It's a very bad idea to convert to Shia Islam when you're part of a 2000-living member non-muslim dynasty.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

So what exactly is the point in sending missionaries to pagan states when they always just imprison them within days? Is there something I'm missing here?

You might get lucky and manage a conversion. There's a few stats which affect the odds, I think.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

Cycloneman posted:

ASK ME ABOUT SISTER loving

So are you Zoroastrian?

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

Courtesy of RagnarokAngel (^^^ yes duder I hope you don't mind because this is pretty hype), from the main Paradox thread:

Right guys, get your Muslim Italy/Nordic Britain/United Scandinavia/African Empire/whatever crazy alt-history game wrapped up; Europe ain't the only game in town anymore :getin:

I haven't played any of the EU games; how important is religion in them? I can't imagine Paradox carrying across all the rules for the various faiths from CK2 to EU4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

londonmoose posted:

Argh, is there anyway of taking yourself out of the line of succession in an elective monarchy? I started a new game as the Duke of Austria, and I just wanted to play in my little corner of the HRE and see if I could scheme my way into controlling all the "Austrian" (in a modern sense) counties, but all the other HRE dukes really love my ruler designed character and keep nominating me. I actually managed to inherit when the Kaiser suddenly died, quickly got overthrown by the Duchess of Bavaria, then got reinstated a few years later by a Faction, but I don't want anything to do with actually ruling the HRE. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks for any help.

Come on, this is Crusader Kings, do you really need to ask? Unjustly imprison! Revoke titles! Execute people for no reason! Stab! Make those bastards hate you enough that they'll never even think of electing your heir.

• Locked thread