Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
What are the good mods nowadays? SWMH, Project Balance? I like Flatmap, is that compatible with those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Flython posted:

Could I get a link to that Flatmap? I'm fond of Lux Invicta for the sheer number of religions but the gameplay itself can really suffer.

Of course! Makes it run so much faster. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?608487-MOD-Performance-mods

How is Lux Invicta? Polished?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
What are the good mods for this? The OP seems pretty out of date, despite the title being for the current expansion. Is the Wizmod successor any good?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Any editing of Defines.lua makes my game not start - even editing it back to the original doesn't fix it! :(

I'm having to reinstall. What am i doing wrong? i just want infinite ruler designer points!!

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Dang man, anyone have any advice for surviving as Catholic Moravia? I finally got Great, then had to turn catholic because I let priests run all over my lands, but now my levies are tiny and my troops seem to suck super hard. :(

At least i have castles so I'm really difficult to seige, but I can't win any wars like this. Are pagans just unbeatable before a certain time?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Darth Windu posted:

Dang man, anyone have any advice for surviving as Catholic Moravia? I finally got Great, then had to turn catholic because I let priests run all over my lands, but now my levies are tiny and my troops seem to suck super hard. :(

At least i have castles so I'm really difficult to seige, but I can't win any wars like this. Are pagans just unbeatable before a certain time?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Ironman mode refuses to give me achievements no matter what I do. I'm pretty sure I altered the game files a long time ago to enable infinite points on the ruler generator, but even after uninstalling/reinstalling and verifying my files I cannot get it to enable achievements. What else can I do?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Excelzior posted:

are you using the ruler generator at all? that disables achievements

No! I mean, it's enabled, but I'm not making use of it before playing the game.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Reveilled posted:

Is your Checksum on the start screen DAQH? I think that's the current vanilla checksum.

It's VTMS

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

SeaTard posted:

Make sure you have Cloud Sync enabled too.

Yes

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

SeaTard posted:

That's your problem. DAQH is what it should be. If you've already done a verify, you'll have to delete and reinstall. Also, double check and make sure you don't have any mods enabled.

I've already deleted and reinstalled. Unless I need to go in and do it manually and not through the steam "delete local content" option? And I don't even have any mods INSTALLED.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Reveilled posted:

Are you absolutely sure you don't have any mods installed? Deleting local content through steam will delete the contents of the game's install folder, but won't delete the stuff in your my documents folder, which includes settings and mods. So if you've ever had a mod installed in the past, deleting and then reinstalling the game could still leave you with active mods.

I deleted everything in the documents CK2 folder aside from saved games...

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
So most of my vassals have 70+ opinion of me and they still aren't voting to increase crown authority. What gives?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Jedit posted:

They don't want increased crown authority. :eng101:

Then HOW do I MAKE them WANT it?!

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Can anyone explain why the south slavic pagans have feudalism and the ones in Avaria and to the north don't?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Did they change something about capitals recently? Why is everyone so concerned with them all of the sudden?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

evilmiera posted:

Just beat the game on Iron Man from the first starting point. Almost took the entire map, but sadly I had been too cautious and got held back by that bug I mentioned a few pages back where suddenly some of my counties lost all their buildings due to a bug. I only had a few counties in India and eastern Russia left to invade.

I will probably never replay the game. Not because it is bad, but because it was so physically taxing to complete as it was (I know that's not how you're "supposed" to play it), not to mention all the bugs and annoying issues with constantly clicking the same event options, revolts, and sluggish engine.

Speaking of sluggish engines, is there a performance mod? There used to be one for CK1 and I think there might've been one for CK2 as well but it's been too long since I played on the reg. I get so much slowdown even with trees off.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Deific Presence posted:

769 definitely needs something done to balance it out. In about 20-30 games I've had Charlie form the HRE twice. Both of those times, I was playing as a powerful vassal of his (Start as Asturias, wait for the Umayyads to start stepping up, swear fealty to Karlings, pro play) and pretty much facilitated it myself by winning his wars for him, plotting on his claimants, and putting my own hand-selected bishops in Rome. Every other game, the Umayyads make it all the way through Aquitane, Slavs and Abbasids overrun the Byzantines, either Norse or Tengri end up reforming, and Britannia remains a collection of warring counts and dukes for hundreds of years.

Old Gods is better?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I never play with sunset invasion on because the last time I played in western Europe was when the game first came out. I like it theoretically though, at least the game play part, the ahistoricity does kinda bother me when I'm playing outside of WE, I like to see things play out semi historically when I'm on the outside looking in.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Those faces look rad, why do they look so rad? Is that a mod?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
How do I convert to Catholic as a pagan not bordering any Catholic realms?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
How do you get castles? I adopted feudalism as a norse catholic in finland (long story) and had three stone hillforts in my best three counties that got a big ole tax boost and tons of heavy infantry, but the graphic is still a wooden lodge like thing and the tooltip calls it the Tribe of _____.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Can you upgrade tribal buildings into a city as a feudal ruler? Just captured a tribe with a level 4 town so I know that was one of the requirements to turn it into a city if I went republic...but I didn't.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

My Byzantine ruler got the nickname Ironside after fighting off a Jihad for Anatolia with just a bit of help from Georgia and nobody else.

Basileus Michael Ironside.

Screenshots please

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
How the heck are you supposed to beat prepared invasions?? I can call up 4.5k hard medieval guys in a heartbeat but these barbarians are gathering 10k adventurers or whatever and even feudal vs tribal and defending across a strait i got owned. I could get maybe another 2000k or so in mercs but i doubt that would be enough.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Tanreall posted:

Your wife's stats won't affect your heir unless you're talking about inheriting a trait like genius. It's only the primary parent whose stats matter: male for patrilineal marriage, female for matrilineal marriage.

That's a good thing to know!

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Lord Hydronium posted:

That's why you always take the Scholarship focus and pick the Necronomicon path. :getin:

I got thru that without going mad or unleashing elder terrors from beyond the veil, 1/10 would not build an observatory again

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Deific Presence posted:

It's worthwhile for the tech points alone, the lunacy is just a plus. Although sometimes if I feel like pissing off my priest vassals and I plan on converting/committing heresy anyway I'll go with heliocentrism.

Yeah it had some good rewards, like + 40 or something to cultural tech every time it popped? I didn't realize the other path was heliocentric model, that owns much harder than a pretend book by a superracist

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Jedit posted:

The Necronomicon path gives you 30 Cultural with the first event and (IIRC) 200 plus a permanent -1 Dip +2 Lrn when you discover the Necronomicon, but if you take the book you can go mad and there's a small chance you'll die. Heliocentrism gives you 100 Military twice but pisses off all churchmen if you take the second pop. Which one you take depends what you need. If you're pumping Mil Org then you'll probably take heliocentrism, but if you need that extra level of Legalism it's worth taking Necronomicon - especially if you have a couple of generations of heirs ready, because you can pull it off two or three times in a row.

Is someone stealing the book from the library the only event that can happen after your character and diet? That's just disappointing, it be cool if your hair could find the book and plum its mysteries.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
If I wanted to play in the Charlieboy start but with the Old Gods requirements for the HRE is that even possible? Could I do it myself? I'd like to see the HRE appear but man the last game I played to about 1000+ AD western europe was a complete clusterf*rt

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Trying to figure out the form HRE decision on my own. I'd really like to play a game from the earliest start but see the HRE form. Is it possible to have it switch to the Old Gods requirements if the year hits 870 whatever?

Anyway here is the code. I'll just hack job it into being the easier requirements, since the AI needs any help it can get in forming the HRE. Sorry in advance for the big ole block of code. Am I right in thinking if I just take out the part about the religions then it will be fine? The wiki says that part means this: "None of Italia, Francia, Germania, Brittania or Hispania are held by a Christian other than the ruler." Does that mean any part of those empires? because that seems really strict. If not, how should I change it to be easier to form?

code:
custom_tooltip = {
				text = form_the_hre_early_tooltip_2
				hidden_tooltip = {
					any_demesne_title = {
						OR = {
							title = e_france
							title = e_germany
							title = e_britannia
							title = e_spain
							AND = {
								tier = KING
								NOT = {	title = k_italy	}
								OR = {
									empire = { title = e_france }
									empire = { title = e_germany }
									empire = { title = e_britannia }
									empire = { title = e_spain }
								}
							}
						}
					}
				}
			}
			custom_tooltip = {
				text = form_the_hre_early_tooltip_3
				hidden_tooltip = {
					OR = {
						has_landed_title = e_italy
						e_italy = {	has_holder = no	}
						e_italy = { holder_scope = { NOT = { religion_group = christian } } }
					}
					OR = {
						has_landed_title = e_germany
						e_germany = {	has_holder = no	}
						e_germany = { holder_scope = { NOT = { religion_group = christian } } }
					}
					OR = {
						has_landed_title = e_france
						e_france = { has_holder = no	}
						e_france = { holder_scope = { NOT = { religion_group = christian } } }
					}
					OR = {
						has_landed_title = e_spain
						e_spain = {	has_holder = no	}
						e_spain = { holder_scope = { NOT = { religion_group = christian } } }
					}
					OR = {
						has_landed_title = e_britannia
						e_britannia = {	has_holder = no	}
						e_britannia = { holder_scope = { NOT = { religion_group = christian } } }
					}
				}
			}
			religion_head = {
				opinion = { who = ROOT value = 100 }
			}
			scaled_wealth = 2
		}

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Moridin920 posted:

Thinking about playing CK2 again, and getting the DLCs.

Last time I saw this thread it was a hundred pages ago and people were mad at Paradox... what was that about? The bugs they were talking about are long since fixed I'm assuming?

Nerds got really p*ssy about a bug that was caught right before Christmas vacation and demanded that Paradox employees leave their families friends and loved ones to fix a game about pretending to be a king in medieval europe

I think AI countries couldn't disband their troops after wars? SO they could never declare war again and borders stayed very static. Which sounds annoying but people were being really mean to the paradox guy that posts in this thread and saying they should fire the QA people, Paradox doesn't even bother testing their games before releasing, they are failures both as a company and as people etc. It's fixed now

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Can anyone explain the event where you find your ward coming out of the kitchen with a bloody knife and then they get brave/diligent/patient or some other chance of good traits? I don't understand that event at all.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
That makes sense, doesn't explain the kinda random traits but who knows.

Can anyone tell me why, as the Viking King of Lithuania, some of my duke-level vassals are kings and some are earls?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

jfood posted:

Are they ducal titles or tribal ones?

Tribal, which are usually "High Chief", right?? Not a single High Chief in my kingdom.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
How does the game handle cases where the Norsemen took over areas and became known by different name or became an entirely different culture? Like Russia or Normandy, for example. In the game I took to the 11th century, I saw some Norse in Scandinavia turn Swedish, but not all of them did and I've no idea what caused it. I haven't seen Russia or Normandie form in any game so I'm just curious.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

After 950 IIRC Norse characters get a decision to convert to a certain culture depending on the area they're in. Thus Norsemen in France can become Norman, Norsemen in Sweden can become Swedish, and Norsemen in Russia can become Russian etc.

As a Norseman in Finland i didn't get that option.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Well yeah, you're in Finland. Norse splits into Norwegian, Swedish, and Danish depending on the kingdom and Norman if they control a Frankish, French, Occitan, or Breton province.

What do you need to control to be russian? I Figured I might turn russian since I had suomenusko territories but

Oh wait I think I had turned those regions Norse by that time?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

My mistake, I was thinking of Severians, Volhynians, and Ilmenians, who will turn Russian if their owner is not an unreformed pagan, not East Slavic or Finno Ugric, or is already Russian. I think it used to be that you had be Norse to convert those cultures into Russian, but they've changed it.

I like it when they do stuff like that. I wish there was more stuff like it! A cultural change mechanic might be neat, give you a random culture name or something derived from where you are located, if you're one culture ruling over another like in England post Hastings.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Normans will convert Anglo-Saxon provinces into English provinces after 1150.

I figured I'm just saying I wish there was custom stuff for that. Like if you take over Finland as the Norse (edit and move your capital there) you could become Finno-Nordic or something. Nordo-Ugric. Whatever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

:stare:

• Locked thread