Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Yes!! Finally I can live out Vinland Saga in Crusader Kings 2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

JosefStalinator posted:

To raid, do you need to organize an invasion? I can't seem to loot anything cause its always considered a friendly territory.

I think you need to target people who are not of your religion.

Weirdly enough, I have yet to play an extensive Viking game with The Old Gods! All today I've just been Khan-ing my way through Europe and having a merry old time while at it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I've been trying to update my Sonendar mod to the latest patch version. It loads fine up till "Loading graphics", then it crashes. Does anyone have any clues as to why?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

Have you changed the interface at all? I bet it's something to do with the interface.

That's the darndest thing! I haven't changed the interface one bit.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Riso posted:

I know two things

1) Default.map has new entries
2) Sengoku still crashes for me right when it is supposed to show me the main menu

The significant change I've seen in default.map is the addition of "major_rivers= { ... }". Since Sonendar (and Sengoku, come to think of it) has no major rivers, I've just added the line in with no entries.

Another difference is adjacencies.csv. The formatting has changed to:

code:
From;To;Type;Through;-1;-1;-1;-1;Comment
Now, I've changed both of these things in my mod, but it still crashes on "loading graphics" just as it's supposed to show the main menu, as it does for you. It does this after it does all the stuff, like "loading textures", "loading rivers", "calculating naval ranges", etc.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Shadeoses posted:

It's a real mystery, it is.

Two entire religions have disappeared for no reason, the provinces and characters have noreligion. I can't change adjacencies.csv without making the game crash, so random provinces are connected across the map. The heads of religion don't count as being heads of religion. I'm sure there's more, but I'm afraid to look closer.

You're lucky! At least you can get to the main menu screen.

It's really frustrating, I've been tweaking and fiddling all day and I still can't figure out what changed such that it's all broken. :(

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Shadeoses posted:

Have you updated the terrain.bmp and terrain.txt, and the atlas.dds stuff? The patch added Steppe as a complete terrain type, and changed the colour index to accommodate it.

Sadly, this didn't seem to do it either!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

jpmeyer posted:

So, Zoroastrians. I've had some success so far with Karen.

First off, you will almost certainly need to save scum in the beginning, as multiple times when I've tried playing as them I've been clowncar'ed immediately and lost within the first few months.

Secondly, nobody seems to mention this but I find it hilarious that you're immediately supposed to marry your sister :getin:. I've gotten to 937 and I so far haven't had a big problem yet with inbreeding because of concubines and marrying people off to older female relatives that most likely will not bear them any children.

Next, I immediately holy war'ed Khiva and again, as long as I'm not clowncar'ed in the process this gave me a big chunk of land and allowed me to start usurping some titles (like Duchy of Bukhara and shortly thereafter Kingdom of Khiva.)

The Saffarids are tough but if you've swallowed up Khiva the two of you should be pretty even. If you can keep ninja'ing counties or duchies from them when they have revolts this will help you expand further. I also frequently try to do de jure claims rather than holy wars to prevent clowncar'ing if it's like a single county count or something that rebelled.

My problem now is that shortly after where I am in my last save, the Abbasids end up declaring an invasion on my and wipe out like 3/4s of my holdings, which for all intents and purposes will probably irreparably doom me since the Cumans (who went from being half my size to twice my size after losing the invasion) will probably end up following suit and wiping out the rest long before the Abbasids fracture from decadence.

Is there any way to handle an invasion? I even slew the caliph in single combat :black101: during a battle but that didn't change anything.

Dude! I have this same problem. I started out as the Count of Gilan (the only independent, single-county Zoroastrian count in existence!) and worked my way up to a pretty respectable duchy, but then the Sassanid King declared an invasion on me, and sent his thousands at me! There's no way I can defend against this because the Duke of Karen got himself holy-warred and turned into a Muslim. How do I survive as Zoroastrian?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Nckdictator posted:

So, I just formed the Persian Empire, what's the best thing I can do to prepare for the Mongols? It's 975 right now.

The Mongols first spawn with about 60K worth of horse cavalry. Since it's only 975, and you're already an empire, you've got more than enough time to consolidate and respond with your own levies of hundreds of thousands. They won't be too scary, don't worry. :)

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Shadeoses posted:

:frogsiren: For anyone frustrated by loading crashes when you try and make a mod :frogsiren:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?691795-Issues-with-custom-maps-1.10

Basically, they broke some things in very interesting ways. De Jure Duchies must be part of a kingdom, and there must be at least one portage and major river.

And make sure you delete your cached data, they added a \map\ folder alongside \gfx\.

Aw, well hell. I hate having to mess with the map again. Thanks anyway, for finding that out, Shadeoses.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

SERPUS posted:

What does taking a concubine do?

It basically gives you an extra wife, with no alliance, and all the children produced having a slight penalty to their diplomacy thanks to being born of a concubine.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

HenessyHero posted:

Why won't my king touch his attractive, lusty, hedonistic concubine :qq:

He probably feels intimidated by her hotness. A guy like him... a concubine like her... he could never live up to that. :smith:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Flippycunt posted:

Almost no mods have been updated to the newest version yet, it's only been out 5 days and changes just about everything.

It's frustrating! I can load the main menu now, but when I click on a county in my mod to play as, it crashes at "adapting history", even though none of the history files have changed since I last updated my mod.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Flippycunt posted:

Yeah man, I don't know. I'm just glad my mod is relatively simple in terms of files, otherwise I'd probably be tearing my hair out too.

Huh, you know, I wonder if it has something to do with the new presence of holy sites for all non-Christian/Muslim religions? My mod has a bunch of new religions that don't have holy sites yet-- maybe they're considered "pagan" and require them now?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I tried adding new holy sites for all the custom religions. Still no go, mod still crashes when I try to load a country at "Adapting history".

It's really confusing, because usually it only does this when there's an elliptical bracket left unclosed, but I've run the Audax Validator a bunch of times and it hasn't come up with anything of the sort.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Tarnek posted:

They actually pulled the boats over logs, they didn't literally carry them.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Lemon posted:

Playing as Ireland, I've become the King of Scotland and have almost taken control of all the counties. There is one duchy remaining that consists of four counties. The duke controls one with three seperate counts as his vassals.

What is the quickest way to take all four counties? I have de jure claims on all of them but cannot offer vassalisation as they aren't independent. They all have 100 opinion of him so there is almost no chance of them rebelling and any assasination plots on the Duke have no-one willing to join.

If I declare ware on the Duke and claim his one county, what happens to him? Would he still hold the duchy, move somewhere else etc?

If he has any holdings other than that county, then he moves to that holding. Otherwise, he becomes unlanded and his vassals become independent. At that point you should be able to offer vassalization to them, if you have good relations with them.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Playing as the Mazarpanate of Gilan (the single-county Zoroastrian ruler), and having a very hard time keeping things together. How the gently caress am I and the Karen guy supposed to deal with the Saffarids? Nobody will join my plot to assassinate the Saffarid ruler, and I can't conglomerate in time to deal with his doom stack of 10K troops! :(

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Schizotek posted:

Considering theres a total of 3, it's likely based on what sort of disaster your prefer. You can make a custom zorastrian ruler of Khiva, and be murdered by your sunni vassals. You can be Karen and be murdered by the persian blob and khiva, with a side order of Tengri, or you can be....Gilan is it? And be massacred by the Byzantines, Abassids, Persians, or Armenians.

In every Gilan playthrough I've done, my main fear is the Saffarids after they finish gobbling up the satrapy of Karen. Even if I help the poor fella or swear fealty to him, he still gets his face curbstomped at some point, and the endless defensive wars really sap my manpower when I should be holy-warring all those Muslims around me.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Zoroastrian Tweaks

To give the Zoroastrians at least something of a fighting chance, I copied and pasted the Finnish pagan defensive attrition into the Zoroastrian religion.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Jabu posted:

Remind me how Invasions work as I seem to have completely forgotten. Specifically, what button did the Abbasid Caliph push to be able to launch an invasion of Greece and where can I find it?

Click on the current King of Greece, go into diplomacy with him, declare war and use the casus belli "Invasion of Greece". You might not always have access to this CB!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

rt4 posted:

After looking in the wikis and the manual, I haven't been able to uncover how rank works. How can I become something bigger than an earl?

Usurp or create a duchy. If you own at least 51% of all the de jure counties in a duchy, you can create or usurp it if you have enough gold.

The gist of it is that all duchies/kingdoms/empires on the map consist of "de jure" pieces. Chunks whose existence seems to be written into the fabric of the land itself. So a Duchy may consist of one or more de jure counties, which means that if a ruler owns enough of these counties, he can call into existence a Duchy and appoint himself the duke. Afterwards he can wage war to take over counties which rightfully belong within the de jure area of the duchy. The same goes for Kingdoms-- they consist of a number of de jure duchies.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 4, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Pimpmust posted:

Yeah, something like this:
Would allow the marshal gig under the same conditions as the default spymaster job. I.e, limited by family relation and religion group.

Hmm, I guess I see how you could limit it by decision/law if you did something fancy with setting flags...

You could also allow only women of a certain martial skill or higher to lead armies/be marshal if you set martial=x to something in the allows field.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Maybe take out the pregnancy disqualifier? Having your marshals drop out for nine months at random is going to cause nothing but trouble, especially with the dudes who you put in and then take out again when Marshal Joan has had her kid.

Also it'd rule out the chance for an enterprising modder to write an event where a child born by a pregnant female army leader gets a special "Born on the Battlefield" trait. :black101:

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 4, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Since there's some demand for "just" being able to choose True Cognatic succession, appoint female councilors and the like, I've made Girl Power, a mod which is sort of the tamer version of CK2+'s Gender Equality mode. It doesn't automatically change every single realm in the game to True Cognatic sucession, but it gives most rulers the option to -- so long as they are female and have high enough crown authority It also removes opinion penalties for female heirs and rulers.

Also, comes with a Born on the Battlefield trait given to children born to a woman while leading an army, and the ability for Norse Pagans to designate sufficiently brave, wrothful, cruel, zealous or militarily-trained women as Shieldmaidens.

v-Yup! That was one of the first things I tried. I guess "has_minor_title=" is incompatible with "allow=" for some reason. Too bad. :(-v

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 5, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Caufman posted:

A long shot question, does your mod work for republics? I'm frustrated with the lack of matriarchs and matrilineal marriages!

Nope. Patrician elective is hard-coded to be patriarchal. I'm afraid I can't do anything about it! v :( v

It's even stickier than Muslims. With the Muslims all you need to do is remove the "NOT={religion_group = muslim_group}" restrictions on Ag-Cog/True-Cog succession. But Patrician elective never ever allows women, even if you mod the "designate heir" title to allow you to designate female heirs. It's the one thing I wish they'd revise in the next patch.

If they could do it with allowing female army leaders, they can do it with this!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 5, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

LowellDND posted:

So I finally united Ireland :woop:

My current king is Good King Drunkard, with 2 good sons, 4 daughters(and 2 sons in boxes their entire life since they rebelled at 16). My daughters are married matrilineally with minor princes of England, Wales, and Denmark, and I just married my 4th son to a Duchess of Scotland. :dance:

My heir has been in a box all his life, so when I play him Im going to imprison and execute every claimant in the way between me and my family (so I can have direct claims). Ideally I can grab middle crown power too. Then Ill play as his heir, join the angry mobs who assassinate him, and start pushing claims.

Now, I just did a little brushfire war with Scotland where I lost the Isle of Man. I have about 5k guys, it looks like they have about 15k. How does Ireland punch its way out and take over Britannia?

Finally, a question for DrSunshine. How would I go about removing the crown requirements from absolute cognatic? Id like for my opening count to be able to make it, if he feels inclined. Also, will this mod work in an already started game?

Okay, go into "decisions" and find the file called "succession_laws.txt". In it, scroll down until you find "succ_true_cognatic". Look for the section marked "allow=" and look for "has_law = centralization_3" and "has_law = centralization_4", and "is_female=yes" Put a "#" in front of those lines.

The reasoning behind this was to make it so that if you're a female ruler with a strong enough, centralized enough state, you can choose to rewrite the laws to equalize your gender, because hell, you're the Super Queen!

It should work in an already started game, I haven't tried it yet though.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Pimpmust posted:

Allow women in true_cognatic realms to be marshals? I'm a bit unsure on the "gender_law =" (gender_lawS?) part.

It would have to be "has_law = succ_true_cognatic".

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Okay dudes, I fixed the Spymaster/Chaplain bugs for Girl Power!

Girl Power v.1.1

If you have any other suggestions for features, suggest away!! :D

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I got an idea for Girl Power v.1.2! How about factions to change the succession law? If you're in an Agnatic-Cognatic/Agnatic kingdom, you could start up a faction to change the law to True Cognatic; if you're in True Cognatic, you'd be able to start up a faction to change it to Agnatic-Cognatic/Agnatic. Maybe female rulers in Ag-Cog kingdoms would have a higher likelihood of joining the True Cognatic faction.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Brainamp posted:

So what's this mod do? I somehow missed it and can't find anything on it.

It does this:

DrSunshine posted:

Since there's some demand for "just" being able to choose True Cognatic succession, appoint female councilors and the like, I've made Girl Power, a mod which is sort of the tamer version of CK2+'s Gender Equality mode. It doesn't automatically change every single realm in the game to True Cognatic sucession, but it gives most rulers the option to -- so long as they are female and have high enough crown authority It also removes opinion penalties for female heirs and rulers.

Also, comes with a Born on the Battlefield trait given to children born to a woman while leading an army, and the ability for Norse Pagans to designate sufficiently brave, wrothful, cruel, zealous or militarily-trained women as Shieldmaidens.

Basically a Gender Equality mod for Vanilla CK2.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Girl Power v.1.2 :D

- Added a new faction: Institute Absolute Cognatic Succession
- Opened up more ambitions to female rulers
- Enabled Agnatic-Cognatic and Absolute Cognatic Succession for Muslims
- Compatible with latest patch 1.01 Beta

Please run it a while and tell me how it goes! I have never modded factions and faction cb's before, so I'm curious to see if it actually works. The only "change succession law" factions/cbs that exist are the ones to change to Primogeniture, Seniority, etc., rather than to change the Gender laws. I'm not yet sure if it'll work for them as well, so we'll just see how things go!

EDIT: Huh. Now that's interesting.

Wikipedia posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchy_of_Aquitaine#Law
As a successor state to the Roman province of Gallia Aquitania and the Visigothic Kingdom (418–721), Aquitania (Aquitaine) and Languedoc (Toulouse) inherited the Visigothic Law and Roman Law which had combined to allow women more rights than their contemporaries in other parts of Europe. Particularly with the Liber Judiciorum, which was codified in 642 and 643 and expanded in the Code of Recceswinth in 653, women could inherit land and title and manage it independently from their husbands or male relations, dispose of their property in legal wills if they had no heirs, and women could represent themselves and bear witness in court by age 14 and arrange for their own marriages by age 20.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 5, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

JGBeagle posted:

So, I can't quite grasp how event coding works. How would one add a hidden choice available only if you have a certain trait, (ie, the Born on the Battlefield trait)?

Add this in:

code:
option = {
        trigger = {
		trait = #something   or
		#attribute score  or
		# whatever you like
	}
}
"Trigger={}" basically means "Only allow this option if the following are true.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Spiderfist Island posted:

I cleaned up the "Born on the Battlefield" icon from the mod to match the other inherited traits. Dr. Sunshine, if you want to use this feel free to (just edit it to a .dds file instead). I dunno if It'll work though, I'm poo poo at modding.

Yes please, thank you very much!!

How did you do it? I somehow can't figure out how to make proper .dds files that don't come out as weird squares with black stuff all over.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

LowellDND posted:

What differences there between Girl Power and CK2+ Gender Equality?

CK2+ Gender Equality requires CK2+ to run. Also, it makes every single realm Absolute Cognatic from the start, Girl Power just gives everyone the option to switch.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Something's dreadfully wrong with the way the "Institute Absolute Cognatic Succession" faction works. Apparently you can even start it while your kingdom's succession law is already Absolute Cognatic! What's wrong with my code? :(

Pastebin Link

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Infinite Monkeys posted:

What are good starts besides Ireland?

Iceland. You're too poor, small, and out of the way for anyone to gently caress with you besides your other Icelandic neighbor. Start in 1066 as Duke Isleifur with a loyal vassal, or Count Sigfus and try to overthrow Isleifur before he becomes a vassal of Norway. The 867 Icelandic start is a lot harder because you are small and insignificant, so one of the Norwegian petty kings will often go after you precisely because of that so they can form the Kingdom of Norway; you basically have to pray that they ignore you or bribe the big men.

Iceland was my first try as a newbie at CK2, and while it was a bit dull since nothing really happened, it was because nothing really happened much that things were slow enough for me to gradually get a grasp on the mechanics. Ireland struck me as having too much action with all the independent Earls, I wanted someplace small and out of the way.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Mordieth posted:

So i had this vassal who has two counties. These two counties form a duchy, but the title wasn't created when he got them. After i created the title, if i give it to him, he becomes independent. Why is that? /confused.new.player

He cannot create a duke-level title if he's the vassal of a duke. If you, as a duke, create the title and give it to your count vassal, your vassal becomes an independent duke, because a duke cannot have a duke as a vassal.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

So I've managed to take over Norway as the jarls of Iceland, and scattered my dynasty all over the kingdom by revoking the various upstart vassals who dared to revolt against their new Icelandic kings. While the kingdom is now no longer in any danger of fracturing due to Gavelkind, my successor was a sort of weakling who had to abdicate the throne to his younger brother, and is now living out his days in the family's ancestral home in Vestisland, as a vassal of the High Chief of Iceland. The dynasty is safe as Kings of Norway, but I'd still like to work back up to being a king again.

How should I start? I've never actually stabbed my way to victory before, I'd always done it through declaring independence and working my way back through conquest.

Pimpmust posted:

Also, someone should totally mod in this decision/execution style for some Blot Variety:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_eagle

"It was performed by cutting the ribs of the victim by the spine, breaking the ribs so they resembled blood-stained wings, and pulling the lungs out through the wounds in the victim's back. Salt was sprinkled in the wounds." :gonk:

I can do that! How about a special decision if you have a prisoner and are zealous/cruel/wroth/impaler ? Sort of the Viking version of the Byzantine castrate/blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Dallan Invictus posted:

I haven't downloaded Girl Power yet (shockingly), but the "save mods/DLC choices in the launcher" behaviour is controlled by a file in the main settings directory. If it has its own settings/save games directory (like, for example, Game of Thrones) then it won't stick like CK2+ does.

Oh! So that's why none of the mods I play ever stick. I have to do that every time I want to play the Game of Thrones mod, too.

• Locked thread