Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

1stGear posted:

FAQ

Oh my god how do I start what do I do ahhhhhhhh

That's a normal reaction to first seeing that map. The general recommendation is to start in Ireland as it serves as an unofficial “Tutorial Island” for the game. I personally suggest starting as Dublin. As a short-term goal, form the Duchies of Meath and Leinster and conquer the other province. From there, aim towards forming the Kingdom of Ireland. Once you can do that, you have a solid grasp of CK2's basic mechanics.
Just got this in the Steam sale, and honestly I can't even figure out how to do the above. I turned on the Duchy map and I still can't see Meath or Leinster, I don't know how to form a Duchy with them and I have no idea how to do of any of the stuff required for a CB.

Is there a "I am a total idiot who does not understand a single goddam thing that is happening and this is really boring and frustrating please just tell me clearly what to do in a simple step-by-step manner" guide somewhere? This game has so much going on and the tutorial didn't explain jack.

EDIT: oh, the "tutorial" option that comes up when you first open the game isn't actually the Tutorial, it's just the tutorial. Well, that makes a lot of sense. This game looks like it could be amazing fun but they really throw you in the loving deep end here.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Hooray, I captured a single territory as Mumu. Goddam, that took a lot of weird wrangling and work.

More newbie questions:

1) is there a faster way of attaining a CB that doesn't involve using a Chancellor?
2) if I manage to fabricate a claim on a county and then conquer it, can I then make a De Jure claim on the other counties in the Duchy?
3) why won't the Pope let me lay claims? Is he just kinda an rear end in a top hat? I've got the money and the piety but he just doesn't want to.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Uuuugh is there any way to change my leader's religion? I had the popup for Waldensianism pop up and I hadn't seen it before, so I clicked it because I didn't want to arrest my Court Chaplain.

Holy crap that was the worst decision and it's potentially destroyed my game in the first two years. Everybody hates me, nobody will do anything I want them to and my leader's wife refuses to gently caress him because he's a heretic. There is no heir. Is there a way to make him regular Catholic again?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Well, that was an interesting year.

My 17 year-old petty king became a heretic, then went to war with the neighbouring county to convert them, the war was a disaster, the king was wounded, and all his people started to turn further against him. Then his cupbearer (who is a total bro, with the most love of my king from anybody else in the kingdom) said "hey you should be regular Catholic again" and he immediately converted back, won the war decisively, then put a baby in his wife the day he returned home. A claim has been fabricated on the capital of the next duchy over.

I think I'm finally getting the hang of this.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
The poo poo is a usurper? I took a county in war, and somehow it doesn't belong to me and I've lost my claim on it. Some random rear end in a top hat now owns it, and I can't declare war on him.

Also, how the hell do you put down a rebellion. They keep refusing peace because "I still have untouched armies and holdings" but they don't. At all. I made very sure of that.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Okay, I get it now. I understand what's going on. It took over 10 hours of playtime but I've got the basics down. I managed to become King of Ireland after a long and bloody 50 years, and I'm happy leaving that game there. We have no major claims elsewhere and I think King Donnagal Hedonist Heretic Coward the 1st will go down in history well enough.

What's a good next step? I'm a little sick of Ireland at this point. I tried a game as the King of Croatia and found it boring, and Norway was just way too complicated with the war vs. England and the obviously-about-to-go-bugfuck succession issues with an elderly king. I quite liked the 'independent slowly carving out an empire' kinda thing.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
What Game of Thrones mod are you guys talking about? Looking in the workshop I can see a couple of bloodline mods, but no Westeros map.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Drone posted:

For some really dumb reason, the Game of Thrones mod team hasn't put it up on the Workshop.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/crusader-kings-2-a-game-of-thrones-ck2agot
Thanks. I've installed it, but I can't play it properly: when I try to start a new game and select a character, the 'play' button is greyed out.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Synnr posted:

And currently, despite being a gay, violent, possessed glutton who speaks in babbling tongues and is busy listening to jesus for war advice (and a satanic fish for spy advice??) while having an affair with my monk brother, my wife won't stop getting pregnant with daughters and I knocked up 2/3rds of my witch counselors. I know the MTTH is 500 years but i desperately want to be cucked by satan. I think my personal martial skill is like 50 and state martial 70 with a staggering 3 in diplomacy.
This is beautiful. You are beautiful.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Oh my god, my real family/ancestors are in this. Mum's side of the family are Contarinis.

Need a crash-course in Merchant Republics stat. I'm still a relative newbie but I want to Venice all over everything.

EDIT: my Doge is chaste and pious but his wife is spitting out babies faster than should be biologically possible. She even got pregnant while I was out on pilgrimage. I suspect I'm getting cucked hard.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 11, 2014

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I won my first election by assassination. There was only one other candidate who came close to my son, and he's gone now. He was also the steward, and that position has gone to my second son. The House of Contarini will not fall to something so petty as democracy.

Thanks for all the advice. Can I demolish a trade post after I've built one? So say I find somewhere better later on but I've hit the top limit, can I remove a cheap lovely trade post in order to build the better one?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I've got a whole lot of retinues as Venice, but they won't leave the city for some reason. Clicking and telling them to move gets me nothing. Trying to get them into ships gets me nothing. Neither my retinues or my levies will leave Venice, which is a huge pain in the rear end because Croatia keeps declaring war on me then going around wrecking my trade posts.

I've contented myself by assassinating every single person who ends up in the leadership role, but I'd really like to be able to deal with them directly.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I mentioned that I was having problems with Croatia, who kept declaring war on me and wrecking all my trade posts. After a few years of bribes, assassinations, and general underhand fuckery, this happened to them.

Two different rebellions at the same time. By the time they finally managed to quell them, the Byzantine Empire had snatched up one of the rebelling territories.

Then the Venetian army walked in and kicked then while they were down, called their queen fat, then rode off into the sunset with their middle fingers in the air.

Republics are awesome.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
You can set it in the character customiser.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Steam's being screwy right now (weekly maintenance?) but this sounds great and I'm gonna grab it as soon as I can.

Anybody got any tips for playing as a Jewish nation? There's only two I can find, and both are surrounded by very aggressive enemies who immediately dogpile you. I really want to take those Ethiopian Jewish guys and take back Jerusalem but I can't even get off the ground with the alliance of Christian kings that surround you at the start. You attack a smaller one, they all attack you. You don't attack any of them, they all attack you.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
The big draw of Charlemagne is that you can name your empire whatever you want, so half the map turns bright red and has the word "ASSHOLES" written on it. Then the rear end in a top hat Mercenaries invade Venice and claim it for the Kingdom of the Assholes, then rename the Veterians "dickheads".

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Okay, my Jewish Kingdom has now pledged fealty to the Abyssinians, who are steamrolling through all the other Christian kings. I'm starting to worry they're becoming too powerful to revolt against. I'm using the new Spy On focus ability on their king and I have my chancellor working diligently to spread dissent but I don't know how it's going to be possible to break free from a group of dudes who massively outnumber me.

What's a good way to bring the Muslims in? They're just hanging back and letting the Abyssinians swallow up huge chunks of territory. Charlemagne start. Nobody from outside will marry anybody in my family because we're Jewish, so making allies is hard. Nobody will let me educate their kids either. Right now I figure my best bet is to be super nice the Abyssinians while playing the long game and slowly converting them Judaism through education/rabbis. Then I can start marrying people out and making claims, and from there I can slowly build power.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Oh my god, the seduce ability. I started a new Irish game, and my petty king is currently boning his way across the whole island to seed it with bastards. He's in his 70s but he's still a huge hit with the ladies. I find whoever is in charge, then the king fucks his wife until she gives me a boy, then we move on to another county. This is the best game.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

So... is there any realistic chance at all of your own wife not cheating on you now?

I appreciate the new character-focused options as much as the next guy, but it really seems like this DLC has dialed it about three notches too far and basically turned medieval Europe into a nonstop frat orgy.
It's not that cucking is ridiculously common now, it's that the thread finds it hilarious so we're all taking it to crazy extremes.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I've had a weird bug.

The next county over was run by a terrible, hated ruler with no sons and only one daughter. I married my heir to her, then had the old king assassinated. County passes over to me, everybody is happy except the dead rear end in a top hat.

Except, the old king expelled the Jews, and somehow my family has inherited this. I'm now playing as the son and there's a red scroll in his profile page. There are still Jewish courtiers hanging around being useful, but I've got the -2 diplomacy hit and I can't borrow from the moneylenders. Is there a way to rescind that expulsion?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
My current game, I did Charlemagne start in Ireland. My eventual goal is to rule the British Isles with an Absolute Cognatic Jewish line of Queens. Because Game of Life just came out, I started out the game by taking seduction focus and loving the wife of every single clan leader in Ireland to see how that would turn out.

Terribly, is the answer. The accusations came spilling out against King Flann, and every single husband in the realm wanted his head. The second-highest intrigue in the realm was 7. The highest was 20. His name was Elchanan of Rimini, a wandering Ashkenazi courtier. He absolutely hated the king's guts. Given even a second in the spymaster's position, he would immediately kill him. Of course, I immediately made him spymaster, because what is life without a little excitement?

Over the next ten years, there were seven attempts on the king's life. They all failed. As time went on, Elchanan became an integral part of the court. He brought scientific discoveries back from Constantinople, and from his friends in Europe. He was named ward of the heir. He still absolutely hated the king's guts, and the assassination attempts just kept coming.

King Flann was not the brightest man, but he had an honest and open heart. He dealt with this situation the only way he knew how: he invited Elchanan to get shitfaced with him.

Elchanan refused.

The king found his spymaster a wife, then he waited for the right moment to ask again.

Elchanan refused.

The king left his spymaster a lavish gift. One month later, there was another attempt on the king's life: poison in his food, making him gravely ill- almost at death's door. The king, lying in his bed shivering and foaming at the mouth, sent out one last message. "yo Elchanan pub 2nite?"

Elchanan did not refuse.

The king's attendants helped him out of bed, and found his best clothes. They insisted on being with him for protection, but King Flann would not have it. He sent them away, then sat down across the table from the one man who he should trust the least.

They talked for hours. Fought, argued, debated. As the hearth burned low, they stopped talking for only a moment. The sickness that burned through Flann had abated. Their eyes met, then King Flann laughed. "We have to do this again some time," he said. Elchanan nodded, and smiled. "Yes," he said, "I would like that."

There were no more assassins ever again.

Forget cucking, this is the best part of Way of Life. :unsmith:

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 18, 2014

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I managed to get my Irish tribals to switch over to Feudalism by about 800AD without massively pissing off any of my vassals and I was really proud of that, but apparently now I need to build a fully-upgraded hillfort in every single one of my counties to remove the -30 opinion penalty? Where the hell am I supposed to get that sorta scratch? I'm making about 1 gold a month, and my only revenue stream before was raiding/ransom. Is there a good way for feudals to make money that doesn't require more money first? I have a ton of prestige and piety, if it helps.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

SeaTard posted:

For the guy asking about how to make money as a newly reformed tribal, the key is churches and cities. Crank the taxes up to maximum, levies at minimum, and use them for what they are: the economic engine of your country. Your castles provide much more, and higher quality soldiers than the other types.

Pre-reform, you want to conquer as many regular counties as possible, so you can actually make some money. Your old land will be pretty worthless until you can start getting cities in there, as you've found out.

Also, don't be afraid of holding temples and cities in your personal desmesne. You get an efficiency penalty to those specific places, but you still probably make more money and get more dudes than you would from a vassal, and there isn't an opinion penalty for holding them.
Thank you. For purposes of the law, do Chieftains under a Feudal King count as providing 'feudal levies'? They're the ones who are the most pissed at me right now, so I figure I should ease their burden first.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
My elderly king absolutely refuse to die until well into his 70s, which mean his son was over 50 by the time he inherited the throne. 50 years entirely set on Seduce, with the AI Prince marauding around loving everything that moved. 8 sons, and every single one a bastard. I had to go through and legitimise some of the more capable ones to prevent my line from dying out. That's when I noticed this poor guy.

He's far-and-away the least capable person in the history of the realm. I've never seen anybody with 0 in every stat before. He's like an actor in an informercial.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
What's with the rancid meat? I keep getting this event where the food at my table is rancid and covered up with spices to disguise the smell. I pay 5g to find out who did it, then I never find out who did it. It just keeps happening. Is somebody trying to poison me in a really lame and lovely way?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Wait, I can't assassinate my own sons under gavelkind? Ugh. How do I deal with the imminent splitting-in-half of my lands? Will the youngest son remain a vassal of the eldest, or will he go totally indepedent?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Ugh okay, gotta kill my own son then. Got it.

Does raiding count as 'war' for purposes of the Germanic Pagan prestige penalty?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
If my Half-Brother gets elected king (hooray gavelkind) is it game over? He's got the most support, and I'm desperately trying to raid Scottish churches to get pagan moral authority up so I can go feudal before my character dies.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
He is my primary heir, I think. He's the one showing up in the little 'heir' bubble under my picture anyway. How do I tell if he's part of my dynasty?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Oh thank god. He's the same: blue pig on a white field. House af Munso. I managed to create The Kingdom of Sweden, so everybody will have to be his vassal. Should be okay.

Okay, still gonna try to gun for feudalism. I have the stone fort set up, I have three Germanic Pagan holy sites, I have High Tribal Authority. Is raiding poorly defended Irish/Scottish monasteries the way to go? It gets a lot less money, but it's safer than hitting France or England.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Uh so, has anybody done the 'built an observatory' event that comes from the learning focus and taken it right until the end? I certainly wasn't expecting that.

The player character tries to summon Cthulhu and is torn apart by mystic energies.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Edison was a dick posted:

What, really? Do you need to be a lunatic for this to happen? I just got cumulatively about 300 tech points.
It would be amazing if there was a chance to game over by destroying the world.

My ruler was a lunatic, yeah.

A syphilitic lunatic viking of incredible strength. In 30 years he creates the nation of Sweden, reforms Paganism, turns Sweden into a well-developed feudal society. Then one day, he puts on a wizard hat, walks into the sea chanting and his head explodes. Hell of a way to go. May you be shitfaced in Valhalla for all your days, you beautiful crazy motherfucker.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Yeah, I can imagine some smirking little nephew dodging around the battlefield until the big angry guy gets tired, then going in for a pretty little kill.

Like Game of Thrones without the eye popping.

What's elective monarchy like? I only had the options of that, gavelkind or ultimogeniture for my Swedes and I chose ultimo, but I want to know what I missed.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

I sometimes end up capturing children and so on when besieging holdings, and sometimes I just plain forget about them because I forget to check the Intrigue screen. In my last Muslim game I happened to look at my intrigue screen and noticed that I had an imprisoned boy who had apparently been there for ten years. :gonk:
Pfft. When my Vikings raid, they keep everybody they can't ransom back so they can sacrifice them to Odin later. I think I've kidnapped the same guy six times now and his house keep paying to have him returned. There's one woman who's been in my jail for 27 years. Arrived as a child. Her family still refuses to pay her ransom, so I guess we gotta play Wheel of Fortune on human sacrifices come the next Blot.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Geokinesis posted:

So can you weaponise seduction? Like seduce someone with an STI then spread it all around europe's leaders?

Or alternatively when in control of your slow/inbred heir, spread the idiocy around to important families?
One of the LPs had somebody marrying off an inbred son high up into a family they didn't like. With seduce, it can be pretty ridiculous. Seduce your sister, make a ton of inbred bastards, then marry them off into the large houses of Europe to permanently mess with their leaders.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Poke the wife, stick it to the husband. I'll give that a try.

Also, if you're crazy and you go hunting, you'll meet the colour out of space, who'll direct you to Cthulhu, who you can then boatram for the godkiller modifier. This DLC, man...
Yeah, it's an Old Gods thing that WoL makes more likely through focuses. As I mentioned before, I got it from 'Build Observatory'. Dude is looking through his telescope, dude sees a Colour Out Of Space, starts to go insane, then eventually walks into the ocean chanting "IA IA IA" and gets exploded by the cosmic forces. Should've just went with the boat.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Really dumb question: if I grant a title lower than my own, I remain the leige but if it's equal, they split off and become independent, right?

I've been avoiding granting Duchy-level titles basically since I got the game, because when I first did it the dude split off, became his own thing, and later tried to conquer me. I only just realised that as King of Sweden, I could hand Jarldoms off to my sons and still have them remain loyal.

That said, I have a huge issue with my current Sweden game. I only managed to get rid of gavelkind in my second reign, and the country got split in half. The other bastard is still tribal, and his army dwarfs mine. He gets a 50% combat bonus in winter, he's in his 40s, and every single one of his people love him like a father. He's not dying any time soon, and I can't beat him in war, but eventually he's going to try and take me over. What do I do about this?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

You really have to ask? :ese:
His vassals are courtiers are crazy about him though. I checked, and nobody has below like, 70 opinion of the dude. I had my chancellor in there for 5 years and all he managed to do was take one courtier from "obsessed with" to "I still think he's an okay guy". He absolutely hates me, because around the time of Subjugation War Five I stopped answering his call to arms and apparently I dishonoured our alliance. Motherfucker started with a single Duchy, and now he owns most of Finland. He won't stop subjugating. We've got this weird Cold War going on where we're both racing to conquer the rest of Scandinavia just so the other guy can't have it. I own most of Sweden, he owns most of Finland, and we're currently both gobbling up different parts of Norway.

I own a lot more counties than he does, but I recently switched to Feudal so my army count is through the floor.

Edit: wait, he's tribal and owns a lot of counties. That means when if he dies with a ton of sons, all his conquests are gonna split off into a dozen little feuding clans, right? How the hell do I ensure this guy porks the hell out of his wife? He needs to have as many sons as possible. Maybe seduce/secret bastards, but they always seem to get discovered eventually.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 23, 2014

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
How do I turn specific notifications back on? I accidentally switched off 'child needs a mentor' and I keep forgetting about the little sprogs until it's too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
How quickly does technology spread? Some of my counties are speadfastly refusing to pick up the economy tech that lets you build a stone fort. Without it, they can't make the tribal --> feudal jump. I've got my steward in the capital researching economy and it's not making it to them at all.

• Locked thread