Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Oh my god the become king ambition is far far far too good.

I became King of Finland in less than 15 years jut by using the CB on everyone. You spiral out of control so fast. I started as the Kola Sami. King of Finland by 880. Now I'm poking the Ruriks trying to get that last holy site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Alikchi posted:

The new technology system is so far superior to the old one it's unbelievable.

It is, but it breaks apart hardcore if you give yourself a superpowered ruler with the designer. high learning + one of the research gives you a huge amount of rp.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Dauntasa posted:

That's why you plot to stab them.

In my 300 hours spent playing this game I have had < 10 plots succeed before someone blabs. I've had plots going with >100% plot power for over two years, then the spymaster in on the plot gets drunk.

They are just too much effort to do for the near guaranteed prestige hit.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

When a bear has a high enough bluff/ diplomacy anything is possible...

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Guildencrantz posted:

A BEAR THERE WAS A BEAR A BEAR

On a slightly more serious note, this seems to be based on the plot of an Adventure Time episode. I approve.

I'm faily sure its based off an old 4chan post about a bear rogue with high bluff and disguise.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Testekill posted:

So has anyone had their spouse go off to find glory? I'm playing as a custom queen of Norway and my husband decided to just go off and conquer Munster on his own. Not like it really affected me as I was already halfway through invading Tuscany.
I do wonder how the pope feels about the Norse living next day?

It actually happened. Although the Vikings in question had been christianised IIRC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_conquest_of_southern_Italy

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Gavelkind succession is bust as poo poo. I've made the kingdom of hungary, neatly portioned out all of my vassals into counts then given counts ducal titles and the appropriate vassals. I own Bulgaria, Hungary, Taurica (the land but not the title) and Wallachia (same as Taurica). I am also Carpathian Emperor.

When my Emperor dies, my heir gets Carpathia. His half-brother gets Bulgaria. The Wallachian and Taurican vassals still swear allegiance to me. And my brother swears allegiance to me. However the Kingdom of Hungary disappeared. All of the vassals shattered into independent counties, with the dukes still existing but having no vassals. I offered vassalisation and almost all of them accepted. But wtf? I had to re-make the kingdom and give the vassals back to the right dukes.

How did that even happen?

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 14, 2013

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Dr. Sunshine, I'm trying to play Sonendar but there appears to be an invisible event firing constantly that changes the succession law. This means all of my vassals have upset by succession law change reaching the -3000's. I'm playing as the Duchy of the Bow atm. Any ideas where I can find and delete this event?

edit: think I've found it. I'm just deleting the aaqiut file for the moment.

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 4, 2013

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Sometimes I leave games running in observer mode to see what happens.

Sometimes what happens is wonderful.

For some reason the Golden Horde spawned in Italy. It was the furthest West the Ilkhanate had come. So it might be something to do with that.
The Wendish Empire is less than thirty years old. Turns out Lithuania, Poland and Pomerania were ruled by the same family. Although it seems to have been a three province duchess that began to take land back from the Ilkhanate whenever there was internal fracture that inherited and formed it.

Sweden is all de-jure Norway, apart from Uppland. The ERE seem to think there is better stuff in Persia than the Pagan west.

Oh, the Religion map?

Every religion apart from Romuva and Suomenusko has reformed. Catholicism and Sunni Islam are dead. Somehow East African pagans have taken over the all of east Africa and an empire has stood there for over two hundred years. I have no idea how, as a player I could never manage that feat. The Mali empire is frequently troubled with internal conflicts, but no-one seems to take advantage of it. England and Frisia have been Norse since the 900's.

I really want to take this save into the EU world. I hope there is a converter. And I still have another 150 years to run.

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 23, 2013

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Cream_Filling posted:

So what's the strategy for trying to unify two kingdoms with brother kings (both in my dynasty)? Or is there no real strategy? I want to make some empires.

Assassination.

Lots of assassination.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

eh4 posted:

A slightly fairer explanation: Nobles would pay for a chapel on some land and prayers for their soul to avoid Purgatory for perpetuity. Modern minds would see this as a con but noone forced them to do this, it was a religious fashion for those who could afford it. Since there were no "generations" to hand these chapels down to, the Church would improve the land (often not the best), brew ale, keep sheep etc to keep the money and prayers going. And build stuff, to spend the money. There you are.

Pillars of the Earth covers a bit of this fairly well for a historical fiction novel.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

TjyvTompa posted:

Really sorry if this has been answered before, I read the "How Paradox’s Crusader Kings II to Europa Universalis IV save converter will work" article but couldn't see this question answered: Will I be able to convert any save game or does it have to be from 1453?

You will be able to convert any save game, in the stream demo they did one from the 867 start.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Who has seen Great Moravia survive past 50 years? In my game I took a look to find that Great Moravia still exists as a primary title, not only that but they seem to have taken up the mantle of Hungary (which no longer exists) become Tengri, and conquered Pomerania and Poland. I wonder if they get unique events in EUIV...

I love it when the AI becomes supercompetent randomly.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Is there somewhere I can change it so you can force convert people to Hellenic? Its an organised religion but the decision says it is not...

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Everyone gets high and mighty when Paradox forum posters care about how their national heritage gets represented. You clowns are moaning because they are patching out mothers and sons loving.

Turns out the abyss is a ditch in the garden compared to ourselves.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I am playing as the Roman Empire and have had maximum crown authority for centuries. But all of a sudden my duchies are declaring wars on each other. And also declaring wars on their own counties. What the gently caress is going on?

Your crown laws only affect duchies that are de jure part of your empire/kingdom. So ones that have no integrated yet can war all they like. You probably just got an unpopular ruler.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Man the Khazars don't catch a break. Since their title is um.. Titular, they get reduced levies on top of an already difficult starting position. Being Invaded by literally every single neighbour is a little tricky when you can raise 4k including event troops.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Starting an ironman game as Pruthenians I'm finding it extremely hard to raise enough troops to seige any provinces. 800 defenders?

I'm raiding for gold to hire mercs but its hard to siege down in time before running out of money.

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 20, 2013

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Mickey McKey posted:

Actually it would be. If you can get enough warscore through fighting their army you would not need to siege.

I did some silly things starting as the Duchy of Lithuania. I just raided all my non-Romuva neighbors (which is enough people to essentially be walking in a big circle around the lands you start with as Lithuania non-stop) until I had the money to hire mercs, then I used the ambition to be King of Lithuania and fought everyone till I had enough to be king. Then I used my once-a-lifetime conquest on Novgorod (because they own so much land and are right next-door).

Speaking of it, has the Become King ambition or once-a-lifetime conquest changed in vanilla since ~2 months ago?

Yeah I had my ruler die when his only daughter was 2, sat through a regency raiding, finally hit 16 with 600 in the bank. Conquered two duchies before dying in childbirth. 16 years later conquered all of Lithuania and reformed the faith off the gold I saved. Just took my time a bit more.

Now to make the Wendish Empire.

edit: Romuva is without a doubt the easiest faith to reform.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Oh, yeah. Like, first thing. I think it was in 880 or something.

Yeah the King of Italy made an anti-pope in my game around 900. Catholicism is a mess at the moment.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

DrSunshine posted:

Just got back into this game after the 2.0 patch (though I'm waiting for one of those nifty 75% off sales to get SoA), and started a Rurikovitch game. I expanded, declared myself King of Gardariki, fun times. But then Rurik died...

This loving sucks!! For the last three rulers I've had since Rurik died, each king's rule has just been an endless sucession of claimant and independence wars. I am literally unable to do anything else besides march around and kill my own vassals constantly, with no more than three months of peace to recover before the next civil war.

Aaaghh.

Revoke. Take all of their titles. The penalty for being over your limit is really minor compared to actually having vassals at the moment.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Datasmurf posted:

So yesterday I started up a jewish game. Started as a Khazar, worked my way down to Arabia and got Jerusalem and all that jazz just so I could make the Kingdom of Israel, build the third temple and get zealots. Everything's fine and dandy and I'm always out conquering new stuff and fighting with the muslims. Then year 1000 comes around and I'm over in Italy fighting for control of the country when the Seljuk's come.

And drat, do they come in a huge loving deathstack which my levies, zealots and mercs can't handle at all. I got my rear end handed to me, to say the least.

That's a 392,4K stack and a 1241,9K stack. After taking my Khazarian empire (which I had more or less abandoned for Arabia), they split up in smaller deathstacks and started attacking Arabia.

And in the middle of all this, my game started lagging. Really bad. Like having 1 FPS or something. No idea what caused it, but it's still lagging, 10 years after I got my rear end handed to me by Seljuks and after I conquered half of Italy. It's very frustrating. Rebooting the game or the computer does nothing, and if I load an old save from before it started lagging, that too will lag.

If I load another save not related to my jew game, it'll be okay. Same if I start a new game, no lag what so ever.
Still very infuriating, I want to play with my jews!

I think the Seljuks invading with an army of over a million men might just be a bit of a bug.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Every time a new ruler comes to the throne in my empire some faction with 1 member declares revolt. Then every single noble in my realm joins it. Even the ones with 70+ relations. I was able to put it down before but this time I was in the middle of a holy war and my 6k stack got obliterated when attacked across a river in mountains?

Just gave up on that ironman game.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

The Mattybee posted:

But I don't like losing wars!

You don't have to lose territory when you lose a holy war.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Edison was a dick posted:

Also, it completely crashes for me as soon as I start the game after picking a character. My only data point is that the back-trace after the segmentation fault handler mentions trying to get the succession type when trying to compute the elected successor.

If I can get it to work, I'll report back how to fix it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm on Linux.
EDIT2: There's a lot of using \ as the path separator instead of /, but fixing that hasn't been enough.
EDIT3: Current hypothesis is that it's file name case sensitivity and a history file isn't being used.

I'm getting this same problem on Windows :L

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Breichfrast posted:

I had the same problem, for some reason turning off Sons of Abraham fixed it for me. Still getting the broken decisions, though.

This fixed it! Hmm hopefully it hasnt broken anything else.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
What is the calculation for how much a cultural retinue takes up? I can't seem to work out the logic to it.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
It turns out going full North Korea has its downsides. I got a game over when I reformed the West African faith...

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

DrSunshine posted:

For anyone who cares I've been working on the horde invasion event in my Sonendar mod, where the doom-stacks just won't spawn for some unexplainable reason. After bashing my head futilely against this, I've been considering that, instead of a horde spawn event, I could work around this in another way.

Stage 1:

- Infected courtiers start to show up in random counties in Northringar (the northernmost continent).
- Once they appear, playable rulers can get a decision to imprison them for free.
- Infected courtiers get an event where they attack another random courtier (including you), which has a 50% chance of dying, or getting infected.
- Once imprisoned, you may either execute them or try to cure them. Execution gives you nothing, attempting to cure gives a 75% of infection and a 25% chance of killing the afflicted courtier but gaining some extra culture/economy/military points and prestige.
- If a character is infected, their culture flips to The Hungry Ones, their government changes to Cognatic Open Elective, their religion changes to The Abyssal Elders, and their dynasty changes to be the same dynasty, and they get a free invasion CB on any non-infected neighbor.
- Infected rulers have a chance to flip provinces they control to The Hungry Ones
- Totally infected provinces have a chance to spawn small event troop stacks for their liege if their liege is at war.

Stage 2:
- Once at least one ruler in Northringar becomes infected, it activates a global narrative event that sends word of the spread of the infection
- If a coastal county in Northringar becomes infected, it activates a global flag that allows for an event where rulers on other continents are said to be finding boats of fleeing refugees washing up onshore, some of which contain infected refugees.
- Once that event fires, random infected courtiers will start to show up in coastal counties
- Rulers of non-infected countries now get a free holy war CB on infected rulers

So the end result would be hordes, but it'd spread more through infiltration than by straight-up invasion, at the outset at least. A ruler who wasn't prudent enough would wake up to find that all of a sudden half his courtiers are infected. Also, the mutual hatred between the healthy and the infected and the free CBs would mean the world would be plunged into war, as I was intending.

This all sounds great! A bit more interesting than giant army appears and rolls everyone.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

sick trigger posted:

does anything happen if aall of a kingdom's de jure territory gets absorbed by another one? can it no longer be created?

can titular kingdoms absorb territory?

A titular kingdom can absorb territory, which is kinda necessary for the Khazars. It still takes 100 years tho.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Arglebargle III posted:

Yes. But it's small. Too small for Steam to live there.

I believe you can choose where steam installs certain games

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Arglebargle III posted:

Is Gavelkind still hilariously hosed up? My first son is getting the kingdom and my last son is getting my three duchies.

Yes. County splitting can get even weirder. Basically there is no reason to play gavelkind unless you really really like getting assassinated and replaced by your youngest brother who somehow ended up with half the realm.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
I hate hate hate hate how a prepared invasion can become totally useless because the realm you have targetted collapses after you defeat the enemy doomstack.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

DStecks posted:

But you can't do that to people outside your realm, unless they're a holy order or the Pope, can you?

-----

On an unrelated note, does anybody understand how culture shifting works? I'm playing a Navarra game, and one of my goals is to spread Basque culture.

If you have a Basque ruler there is a small chance to spread your culture to any provinces you control. If you are gregarious, have high diplomacy stewardship it goes quicker, shy rulers slower. Your best bet is to hand out all counties to as many basque people as possible. The more the more likely it is to pop once. Do remember that part of Gascogne and Bordeaux are Basque at the start. It's all just chance.

VVV Thanks! I was doing it from memory.

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 6, 2014

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
I'm on the verge of getting max crown authority just so my realm won't expand. I want to play a fairly contained game and my Basque Norse pagan vassals keep conquering bits of Italy.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Mailer posted:

Tell me how the hell you managed this because it sounds like the best thing and I want to try it.

I used the ruler designer. It makes for a very hard start surrounded by enemies, I ended up helping reform the faith and released all my non-Spanish vassals. Then slowly worked to build Hispania.

If you don't want to use the ruler designer there are a bunch of ways. Raid Navarre, kidnap some concubines and use your seer to convert them and have them raise your children.
Or you can start as Navarre, fabricate a claim on a Norse province with a temple, claim it, have the Gothi in the temple raise your kid, hopefully they will change the religion and not the culture. Once you have a Norse ruler in power I think you can revoke the temples and cities, and newly created rulers will have your religion.

You will be attacked a lot, and you only have two mercenary companies you can access. It is very hard. Basically whenever anyone is fractured in a civil war take advantage and use that to attack.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Seoinin posted:

So, uh, how common is it for a ruler to hit 80 years old? My current king refuses to die and I'm starting to wonder if the save file isn't bugged because there's a bunch of other really old motherfuckers hanging around besides him. I think I've seen someone live past 70 maybe twice before.

If they have strong or 4-tier martial education they will live a lot longer, that bonus health really counts.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Give a Duke level title to a mayor.

I'd recommend the Duchy of Galicia.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The Iberian kingdoms are a little too small. Moravia sounds promising, though, maybe I can try and prop up an NPC into forming the HRE.

Lithuania is quite fun to form and play if you don't mind being pagan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
So I entered a regency, and my regent lowered crown authority from high to none and it counted as *me* lowering it, so I cannot raise it again.
I crushed an independence revolt and castrated everyone and killed the regent and his entire family when I came of age. Revenge.

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 19, 2014

• Locked thread