Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Rebels don't really pingpong, they are mini-wars. You get warscore against them every battle even if you don't kill them all outright, and you always have the chance of capturing their leader.

HUN is the perfect opposite of EUIII though, here steppe nomads pour out and settle Hungary instead of the other way around! The eastern 'tail' tends to drop off as they settle down in the west.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Regarding the mod section of OP:
The LAA mod (for using 2GB+ of memory) is not needed anymore as CK2 has been LAA since 1.092.
The Performance mod seems to just make the map flat, it's not really anything to do with us being lazy (we are, but it is unrelated :p), the mod just makes the mapfile smaller by erasing the heights. It probably does help if you don't mind, or prefer, a flat map though.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So, how do you do that thing where adventurers and other armies will flock under your banner for free? Certain pagans start with a few free armies for raiding, but I don't know how to get those back after I lose them for whatever reason (whoops, turns out Tyrol is the only irish county that will actually fight back)

"Prepared Invasion" via diplomacy with a non-pagan.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Yes.

The Mattybee posted:

Yeah, the more I'm playing this the more frustrated I'm getting with this gavelkind bullshit. Every time it's a race to see if I can reform the faith before whoever's doing well ends (hint: I can't), and if I can't, well, that's it, time for everything to go to poo poo!

Gavelkind isn't exactly gameover, but you can mitigate it further by either handing out less important titles to your sons before you die, or just killing off excess sons or otherwise removing from from succession. Does making them majors/bishops still work? Not sure if that was made hard to do or not.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 29, 2013

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Randarkman posted:

Anyone else experienced the Norse turning to Christianity?
Just began to happen in my game, somewhat without me realizing it, first out was Denmark I think where it seems it went somewhat from the ground up.

Then there was Sweden. It began with the daughter of the Swedish king, presumably murdering her father so she would inherit the crown, then a few years after it appears she, as the first significant person in Sweden, turned to Christianity. I kind of didn't quite catch it at first, but it soon became apparent that she was on a personal crusade to completely eradicate the Swedish nobility, revoking their titles, imprisoning them, banishing and executing nearly every single Norse (relgion) person in the entire country within a span of some 10 years. They are all gone now, replaced with Catholics, not a SINGLE vassal has negative opinion of her, and the significant ones all are 90+, she also controls 3 jarldoms and 7 counties (the max for her stewardship). Sweden also has an empire in the Baltic from its :black101: days and is by far the strongest country in Scandinavia, and now they have juicy Holy War targets in every direction (except Denmark) and a ruler whose vassals love her unconditionally :ohdear:

I'm in Norway, the Jarl of Vestlandet, I've been restraining myself greatly and somewhat roleplaying my rulers, my first two rulers were :black101: to the max, but after that I had an incredibly long-lived craven administrator dude, who only sent some people once it in a while to raid because it was expected of him, he eventually also backstabbed his way into the jarldom of Trøndelag and married his son (regular marriage) to the reigning Queen of Norway (I just sort of let the Ynglings unite Norway, even helped, my first two rulers were more interest in raiding than ruling). Though now the future doesn't look so bright with Gyla the invincible idol-smasher next door (Norway levies number roughly 4,000 Gyla's are somewhere in the vicinity of 15,000 and Denmark will not come to our aid).

best DLC so far, if you ask me, though it definitely needs some balance and tweaking, what with Hungary going on a conquering spree AFTER they settled down (in Hungary even) and forming a snaky empire stretching all the way to the eastern bounds of the map.

I had a game as the Gutes of Gotland. About 50 years in some guy (King Gorm the Careless) managed to unite most of Sweden, Finland and chunks of the Baltic coast while my Gotlanders were raiding the west and conquering small Baltic states. Bit worrisome, but also cool, however then he turned Catholic and successfully Holy warred me for Memel.

The course was clear. Once recovered form the war, Jarl David -The cruel, as he was later known - took revenge on the perverters of the Norse faith. King Gorm and his Son fell victim to David's plots, leaving Sweden under the rule of Gorm's daughter, Sif, with her sister as heir. Meanwhile the raiders of Gotland sought out the leader of the White God's church and sacked Rome. Twice. Sadly the Pope was nowhere to be found, but the loot brought back from this raid allowed David to begin the Prepared Invasion of Sweden.

However, Queen Sif had not been idle, she had married the King of Great Moravia, securing an important alliance, and also bringing in the Moravian's ally, the Duke of Weligrad. The invasion was 2 years of planning followed by 15 years of fighting. In all, 6 great armies were sent north from Moravia to be slaughtered by the Gotlanders, but the 6th was only stopped by a large mercenary force - funded by the ransoming of the King of Moravia and his brother, who has been captured in the defeat of the 3rd wave. David also fell in this battle, cut down during a berserk charge, but his son Gudmundr took his place.

Finally as the 7th Moravian army was approaching, peace was concluded, leaving Sif with Memel and much of Finland still in her hands.

King Gudmundr, the Gentle, was anything but. As Sweden recovered he put down a rebellion by the few remaining Catholic nobles, and increased the crown authority to revoke their titles. He took revenge on the Duke of Weligrad by looting his capital and carrying off his Duchess to be his concubine. As Sweden grew in power he expanded to the South and East, and raided widely, even the Muslims of Spain and the Greek Emperors feared his name. At the height of his power the siezed Zeeland from the King of Lothringia, a site sacred to the Norse faith.

As Gudmundr grew old he blessed his luck. He had 5 children, but only one son to inherit his whole Kingdom, but the luck of Gudmundr was at an end. Prince Kol died from an illness in the prime of his life and suddenly the succession was in a shambles. Gudmundr did what he could, seeking out young and lustful concubines to bear him a son, but without success he died at 55.

Leadership of Sweden passed to Ulfhildr - A woman suffering from the Great Pox and married to a Norwegian Jarl in a regular marriage with a son not of her Dynasty. She inherited only the new capital of Uppland and a poor Finnish Barony while her sisters received the old core of Gotlander power. She ruled for a year, plotting how to kill her husband, son, and sisters, before a massive revolt placed another on the Swedish Throne. Another year was spent plotting revenge as a Jarl before the Pox took her life, ending the direct line of Gutes and my game.

Edit: I think others corrected me already, but yeah, Prepared Invasion is Norse only, not all Pagans.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 30, 2013

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Dauntasa posted:

Never have more than one son inherit. Give all the rejects temples and if you run out of temples murder them.

Basically it's only a problem if your ruler dies early and unexpectedly, because otherwise it's fairly easy to swing it so that all your other sons are ineligible.

You can also try having a single son and then having your wife murdered, but that's risky because if that son dies and you don't manage to get a new one you are in deep poo poo.

If you want to do it that way, you could avoid getting married and just have concubines. Once you have a son you can set them aside. There's a minor penalty for being son of a concubine, but it's easier than killing your wife.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Banish everyone and hand out titles to a new crop of loyal vassals?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

A Steam only beta patch? The tears over at the Paradox forums must be over following

"Thanks for supporting gamersgate purchases guys. Unbelievable. Steam giving you guys kick-backs too?"

patchthread.txt

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Rejected Fate posted:

Have to wait for 3 months to elapse after the Old Gods release because of LP rules.

Does Dev permission allow you to LP earlier? Cause if so I entirely endorse a tutorial LP.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Odobenidae posted:

Maybe a horde involving the mediterranean sea/central europe? Someone else suggested this earlier but having the mysterious "Sea Peoples" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Peoples) appear and start pillaging would be cool

Your ruler is framed, resulting in a horde of barbary pirates invading from the sea! :ssh:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

Ah I just discovered something amazingly useful in my Byzantium game. Whenever I play Byzantium holding onto your counties can be annoying because if you make the Kingdom of Greece odds are it will pass outside yourself at some point due to born in the purple. Having someone else hold the title will usually get bad penalties from whoever holds it desiring control of the duchy/counties. So I made it an elective title which worked for one generation but my new heir wasn't getting enough votes. This really left me in a bind until I realized the person that was getting all the votes I could have excommunicated; then I could imprison them for free and have them castrated so they could no longer hold land. No opinion penalty from any vassals at any point of the way. I think this would be pretty useful for anyone being uppity not just people that get in my way.

Probably another reason against setting up King vassals as Byz, they get their own Patriarch and you can't excom them anymore :(

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

beefart posted:

In CK2+ at the 1066 start, Erik the Heathen has a courtier named Dan Lind who is a Shia Swede with a pure white COA and a pretty rad martial score. He's been in there since The Republic at least... Was he some kind of historical figure or is it a running joke by Wiz or something?

That's Podcat and it's from Vanilla. A bunch of us are in the 1066 start, mostly in Sweden. I'm hanging out in Scotland though.

Rincewind posted:

I had literally no idea duchy revocations were free to the Byzantine Emperor, so thanks for this post. I should probably break up some mega-duchies this way before my super-emperor who founded the empire (I was playing Shattered World) kicks the bucket and his dumb heir takes over.

Related question: Is there any reason not to hang onto the three kingdom titles I had before I formed the empire? I've noticed I don't get the opinion hit you get for owning too many duchies, although some of my dukes have a slight penalty if they desire a particular one of my kingdoms.

You can also freely retract vassals, plus I think now if you revoke a Duchy you can revoke the capital county if it is not their primary one.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
There was one on PCgamer:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/06/30/playing-the-game-of-thrones/

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
But would you like to see a lion in Sweden?

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 4, 2014

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Antti posted:

The secret bear thing was for the AGOT mod for CK2, I thought?

Nope, I made Secret bears just because I found it funny. Did AGOT use it? Don't mind, just wasn't aware.

As TaurusTorus says, V2 has (non-secret) Polar bears too. That was Wiz's doing.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

hellsjudge posted:

So would it be reasonable to siege just the counties, finish the war then usurp the kingdom and all the mayors and bishops should fall under my control after that, right?

You can, but they won't like you much. Of course, you can hand the counties off to vassals and it becomes their problem, but they'll be less optimal until they deal with them. If you plan to keep any of the provinces yourself it's best to fully siege them and recruit new barons afterwards.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Super rare gag events (wasn't the "portal to hell" just a sinkhole?) are one thing, the problem/worry Dr Sunshine has (and me!) is that this stuff seems to be taking center stage. That's another thing altogether.

The player knows it's [probably] just a sinkhole, but the characters ingame worry it's an actual portal to hell. Similarly when your character is "possessed by the devil" he's [probably] just mentally ill. Are levitating Indian monks real? :iiam:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

And when you blind and castrate the devil child and his bits regrow it's [probably] just... uh... aliens?

:v:

Devil child is real :ssh:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Has Pdox mentioned anything about finally addressing long distance interaction poo poo now that they're adding another third to the map? On the one hand, it's long overdue; on the other, I still want to WC as a West African Jain emperor of Brittania.

There'll be a diplomatic range limitation in RoI, don't have details but it'll be in a DD at some point.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Bring enough troops to assault the holdings or stay out. Or get to Military Organisation 4 to cancel the Pagan homeland attrition out. Or convert them to non pagans, but then you may lose your CB.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

ulmont posted:

Yes. In fact, there will usually be a line of priests charging into your desmense to convert you or your vassals. This is a great renewable source of cash (imprison, ransom) until you reform the pagan faith.

E: Also, if you send your heirs to the Varangian Guard at every opportunity, they will eventually get converted to Orthodoxy.

You can also just convert by decision if you have a wife/concubine of the appropriate religion. Or if someone Holy wars you.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

What I'm saying is that Paradox had no qualms about ignoring parts of the Byzantine Empire that don't fit with the game mechanics so there's no reason they wouldn't be able to do the same with other areas (though I kind of wish they'd put a bit more effort into making different areas unique in terms of governance/succession). I actually think the Byzantines (/the Orthodox realms in general) are one of the least satisfying realms to play as because aside from a few fun side events and the ability to restore Rome/the Pentarchy they seem to function more or less like Catholic Europe with a lot of the more interesting features stripped out. The fact that they're the only religion in the game now that doesn't get some sort of crusade mechanic is also frustrating.

I think if CK2 hadn't been a sequel, BYZ would probably not have been playable on release and instead have been added with more unique mechanics in a DLC later. We didn't want to cut out such a large area that was playable in CK1, but at the same time couldn't spend too much time adding special mechanics for it when we wanted to focus CK2 on being a narrower but more polished game on release than our previous titles.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

DStecks posted:

Though, and I'm not trying to sound accusatory, why didn't the special government systems come up when you did Legacy of Rome? That seems like it would have been the right time to do it, if you were ever going to.

I'm not entirely sure, I don't work on CK myself, but I think LoR was largely an experiment. DLC was new to us back then, so it was trying adding new general features like factions/military stuff in a smaller DLC rather than unlocking new playables like SoI had done. Because just new tools was a bit soulless and BYZ was a bit bare, they got some extra flavour and the package was given a Rome theme, but the focus was never primarily on revamping BYZ. And the problem with doing a big DLC focused on BYZ is that it would not be adding anything new per say, just redoing a single country that has been present since release, which would be a tough sell I think.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Pfft, no India!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Rumda posted:

:argh: Go to the other side of the office and hurry them up then.

Production is slow today:
http://instagram.com/p/kW8dqMA37T/
:(

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

:xd:

I was sorta surprised notes around the office were in English. I figured when the cameras were off everything at Paradox happened in Swedish. When you guys play for fun, at home or whatever, do you play in English or Swedish?

Well I'm from Scotland so I'm not the ideal one to ask, but as far as I know most Swedes play games in English as even when games are available in Swedish they tend to be awful translations. Around the office the majority is Swedish, but everyone knows English, so if you want something to be universally read you do it in English.

hellsjudge posted:

And of course you gave the coffee machine a good tumble?

Yes. Gained me the Lustful trait and -10 relations with everyone in the kitchen though :sigh:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I wish that foreign courts would return your heirs when they get left there through marriage. I matrilineal married my daughter to a mayor in Russia with good stats, and when he died she came home, but my granddaughters and future possible Queens of Navarra are sitting in some shithole in Russia not getting educated and this bumpkin mayor won;t send them home because they would be hostage to a foreign court. :downsbravo:

You should really always be able to get your family back. Give save and I'll try annoying the CK2 team with it.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Thanks!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Praying the 7th expansion adds Asia from China to Indonesia. You could totally do it, the China of this period could be modeled in the existing game without too many new features. China at the Old Gods start is drowning in problems that can be expressed in the existing game mechanics (wrong-religion wrong-culture vassals across half the country, locked to Agnatic Open) and is primed to fall apart. In fact Crusader Kings is probably the perfect game to do China in because "China" doesn't have to exist as an entity, CK2 can do the granularity and internecine conflict much better than other titles where it would be a megablob. And "China" or whatever states are in that regions have very stiff competition throughout the period, enough to keep it in check even as a player character nation.

I want to do it just so we can call it "Crusader Mings" :colbert:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

lurksion posted:

Damnit. I passed 20k gold last night in my ironman Venice->Rome game, but didn't get the achievement for it. Then I realized I hadn't gotten the 80 trade posts achievement from the same gameplay session, nor the 50k score achievement when I passed that a few days ago either.

So saving & quitting, and restarting the game, I took a closer look at the ironman tooltip on the load game screen.

That's some mixed messaging right there. So apparently at some point my ironman save got corrupted and no longer counts for achievements anymore, even though I'm still getting monthly autosaves. :argh:

And of course being ironman, there's nothing to revert to. Bah.

If your connection drops the game'll save locally, which forever tags it as not fully ironman :(

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Gort posted:

It might be just this, but it seems like they're calling up additional reinforcements even while they have a standing army.

Levies from individual vassals may have been mostly or entirely wiped out in the field, while replenished at home, at which point they can disbanded and raised again rather than disbanding and re-raising the whole army. You can do the same thing, but you might not want to pay that close attention. Other than that, troops only reinforce in the field if they are retinues or mercs (maybe some event troops? I can't think of any though), the AI has the same rules as the player.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

Yikes, I was playing Iceland 1066 with the default ruler, and since he starts single I set out to find him a wife. The best match ended up being a 13 year old, which was slightly very 0_0. She flew over to Iceland, whipped out an erector set, and started building me heirs right away.

But you can't marry anyone below 16, before that you are just betrothed and no breeding happens :confused:

In other news, the office coffee machine was fixed and someone stuck a followup event to it. Hopefully someone will snap a picture, but you'll be pleased to know the third option was "Give it another tumble, just to be sure".

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Leb posted:

Purely out of a misguided sense of curiosity in irrelevant minutiae, are such office pranks carried out in English or Swedish?

English, otherwise I'd be quite left out :ohdear:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

double nine posted:

What is the office language anyway? 100% English for the sake of the internationals, 50%-50% or mostly swedish with someone translating when appropriate?

Depends who is talking to who really. Mostly Swedish though, unless a non-Swedish speaker gets involved. A fun game is to see how long an entirely Swedish speaking group takes to switch back to Swedish after the English speaker leaves. A less fun game is trying to get everyone to switch back to English after a Swede comes over and says something in Swedish causing everyone to switch over. Signs/memos/company-wide emails tend to be in English though, and during the EUIV game English tends to come out more, both due to speaking for the camera and because the guy in charge of streaming isn't Swedish.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I wish that foreign courts would return your heirs when they get left there through marriage. I matrilineal married my daughter to a mayor in Russia with good stats, and when he died she came home, but my granddaughters and future possible Queens of Navarra are sitting in some shithole in Russia not getting educated and this bumpkin mayor won;t send them home because they would be hostage to a foreign court. :downsbravo:

Sorry, been busy, but looking at your save I cannot find any granddaughters, or any grandchildren at all :confused: I did find a son being educated by a major in Russia, but he will send him back if you ask to educate him.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Still owned by Rus in the save I have:

Asking to educate him brings him home. I guess it might be harder for grandchildren if they don't have a family bonus though, would need to find an example to see.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Huh, that link clips at an unfortunate point.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Huh. My eldest son decided to live with his mum it some barony in Italy just after I switched to primo succession. Not phased, I found a genius lady, married to to a guy in my court, stabbed him, and sent my son a marriage offer. Refused. Gah, why? Oh prestige reasons. Hmm, ok, well I'll just build a castle and grant it to him. Right, castle done? Let's do this!

gently caress :suicide:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

You know what must be done :ese:

I didn't even need to, he took himself out of the succession with that. I found out, when I stabbed the Grandmaster of the Knights Templar who was being a bad vassal, that my son was next in line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
New RoI DD:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?759994-Crusader-Kings-II-Rajas-of-India-Dev-Diary-5-Free-Features-1

• Locked thread