Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
My god, the British Isles are a nonstop warzone. This Age sure is Dark. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
The planned invasion and random conquest abilities could make for interesting "How much can you conquer with only one character?" types of games.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Is the support for Zoroastrians decent in this DLC as well? Or is it pretty much just entirely Norse Gods with Zoroaster as an afterthought?

They get less "stuff" but it seems pretty okay regardless. Councilor positions all have unique names and you can become the loving SAVIOR OF THE WORLD AS PROPHESIED BY ZOROASTER HIMSELF. :black101:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
In order to start looting you need to raise your army, click on the Toggle Looter button in its little menu on the left while in friendly territory and then just go to town in someone else's provinces.

e: You can also loot a province, destroy its fortifications that way and then immediately siege it with a regular army. It's a good way of screwing everyone involved over since the owner gets the Looted modifier and if you hand it off to some rear end in a top hat vassal he'll be in no position to use it either.

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 28, 2013

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
:black101: :black101: :black101:

Oh Crusader Kings :allears:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
They really are everywhere. :psyduck:

By now the Middelfart (:psyduck: :psyduck:) dynasty has converted to the One True Religion that is Islam.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Starting in Ireland was not the best idea when it comes to reforming the faith, I realized. :saddowns:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Those silly Northmen. :hawaaaafap:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
On the topic of music that you should hear while raiding your way across Europe, have some Rebellion :black101:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

What's this disrespect dynasty modifier about?

You didn't have a picture/chronicle of your family made when the option was available. Shame on you.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Balts are just as bad about nationalism/racism as eastern Europeans, who woulda thought. :allears:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?690565-Baltic-Face-DLC

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Turns out the reason why the Sunset Invasion happens is skraelings capturing some Viking dragonships while they were off exploring Vinland. :allears:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

The Mattybee posted:

So I saw something about converting characters to bishops / majors. How does one do that, exactly?

They must be unlanded. Just hand them a church/temple/city but keep in mind they, for some reason, get a -20 relations modifier.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Reforming the Slavic faith is gonna be a challenge. Two holy sites around Pomerania, the rest is up in loving Russia, or Kiev or Bulgaria. :shepicide:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Pagans don't gently caress around. The biggest powers in the Old Gods start usually turn out to be Vikings (Mostly Denmark) and some steppe tribe like the Magyars. I'm surprised Christians can survive at all to be honest.

Anyway, here's my Pomeranian kingdom in 932. Guess who's who in these exciting times:

All the red is Denmark, of course. I'd have to punch my way through them in order to reach Novgorod and even then, Slavic is only at 20% Authority. :smithicide:

Then again I might just go Christian an start a Great Crusade For The North.

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 7, 2013

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Schizotek posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just a flavor event that sets up the Aztec invasion.

e:So I found a thing looking around in the files. Did anyone mention this yet?

CelticUnitPackDLC;Celtic Unit Pack;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
CelticPortraitsDLC;Celtic Portraits;;;;;;;;;;;;;x

GMG has it listed already:
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/de/en/pc/games/strategy/crusader-kings-ii-celtic-portraits/

And it actually looks good.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I'm playing in the Republic of Amalfi, which is pretty fun. The Cumans reformed their faith way early in 900. I really wonder what'll happen with the Mongols. Are they going to be Old Tengri or, god forbid, reformed? :ohdear:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Ormond is a Grand City I believe, which nets you a big opinion penalty with whoever holds it for some reason. That might be a factor. Try to revoke the castle in the province so it becomes the capital.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Is it normal for republics to become independent at the drop of a hat? I'm trying to stay true to the Byzantine Empire (and eat up the counts in Sicily one by one :getin:) but every time some rear end in a top hat revolts against the Emperor the republic turns, and stays, independent.

e: I would like to recommend Rebellion again as music for ToG. They got you loving covered on the Viking front but there's also a concept album about MacBeth!

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 8, 2013

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
The sheer force a moderately successful kingdom can project is disgusting/amazing. It's 1000 AD and the Byzantine Empire has like 500.000 troops.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Fffffuuuuuck, all these sons and grandsons are draining my pockets too much as a Republic. Do I really have to :ese: them all?

Also my Quick/Genius Übermenschen couples don't pop out nearly enough useful kids. Just regular assholes all the time.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Rapner posted:

Are there any positive effects of tyranny? I'm about to go attempt taking back Spain from the muslims again, and thinking of using the liberal application of executions to thin conquered provinces.

You might get a huge penalty but it vanishes into thin air on newly generated characters. Make sure you can beat your regular vassals in a fight, then go hog wild with revocations. Once everything is in your hands, make some courtiers and hand the duchies to those guys.

e: A purge every hundred years or so makes for a happy, stable realm.

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 9, 2013

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
You can get thrown out of a republic?! :psyduck:

I designated my genius 5 year old as heir and suddenly I lost all my poo poo and got kicked out, turning into a regular count.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Everyone should be able to travel on major rivers, really. Maybe have a flag at a certain date that disallows pagans from using them to simulate the development of river defenses. Hell, you should be able to put trade posts around them.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Music fit for a Crusader King:

Grave Digger - Monks of War

Rebellion - Disdaining Fortune

Varyags of Miklagaard, if you don't know who made this you are no true Viking. :reject:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Protip: If you want to smash poo poo up as the Karen dynasty, your best bet is to swear fealty to the Muslim guy to the east right away, then strongarm him into Elective Succession, then starting a "Your Dude for Kingdom" faction and beating him up. Way easier than going at it from the outside. You can even force-convert him after you win.

e: Here's my stuff right before my first ruler designed dude bit the dust. He lived from 30 to almost 90:

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jun 12, 2013

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Aaaaaaahhhhh, so many prisoners and you can't even ransom most of them. :argh:

Edit: No republics for Zoroastrians either. :(

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 13, 2013

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I did, and the duke is called Grand Mayor but it's not actually a republic. It's like pre-Republic DLC times.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

:getin:

This is like a Kwisatz Haderach thing now that I think about it.

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jun 13, 2013

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Rurik posted:

I diplomacy of 6. He... cries persuasively? Can't figure out the martial or the stewardship though.

Do you have any idea how hard babies can grip fingers? drat.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Right, it's on the Caspian coast. drat.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Any tips on surviving as one of the Zoroastrian satraps? Or is that even poissible? I always get steamrolled by Persia.

Excuse the self-quote.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Protip: If you want to smash poo poo up as the Karen dynasty, your best bet is to swear fealty to the Muslim guy to the east right away, then strongarm him into Elective Succession, then starting a "Your Dude for Kingdom" faction and beating him up. Way easier than going at it from the outside. You can even force-convert him after you win.

This works about 90% of the time I'd say because you start with a lot more troops than him. He never resisted my demand to switch to Elective for example and even if he doesn't fold to your "Character for Kingdom" demand, you can easily beat him.
I didn't get the Sunni event until well into the game either, so the Muslims weren't fighting each other much.

If the Abbasid shah tries to start poo poo, your best bet is to hold him off in the mountains. I got lucky and was able to select the mountain fighting bonus on my king so it was easy to beat them down to size.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I doubt it since Gilan is too small. You can test it though, those event troops count for a lot right at the beginning of the game. If your overlord gets into a fight with the steppe people to the north early, you might be able to snag the kingdom title.

On a different note:

Who' the best heir? You're the best heir. :smug:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
So, the Seljuks just arrived in my game. I can raise more than their 50.000 troops but on the way up there, they suffer horrible attrition. If I let them do their thing for a while the warscore quickly goes up to 80% so that seems a bit dangerous. Any ideas what to do?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Zoroastrian realms are pretty goddamn stable between the +10 Saoshyant Descendant, +10 Holy Marriage and the many honorary titles you can hand out. I've been giving away kingdom titles and even those guys don't think about screwing with me. The worst situation I was in had me at 29/9 over the holding limit and I soldiered through that too, while at war with vassal levies raised. :smugdog:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
What determines who's eligible for election and who isn't? I've got this awesome grandson that should be emperor after me but he doesn't show up in the list of candidates.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Allyn posted:

I think they have to be a duke or above, plus your natural heir (i.e. usually your oldest son) is also eligible because he will inherit a duchy (or above) when you die and the election takes place anyway.

I handed a duchy to my guy and he became eligible, so that did the trick. Thanks.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Establishing your fortress in the middle of Zoroastrian Persia might not have been such a good idea, Assassins. But thanks for the free temple. :v:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

No, gently caress you, sister! t:mad:

Be wary what you wish for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Get out of there, Rurikids :argh:

• Locked thread