Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Old Gods informs me that the duchy of Greater Poland is actually a republic, and I can't play republics despite having the proper DLC. What's wrong? Also, can you adjust the date pre-1066?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

1stGear posted:

I can't imagine how horrifying it would be to play a Catholic ruler in a Viking nation's sphere of interest because the Vikings are built to kick the poo poo out of everyone from day one.

I'm gonna try out Alfred the Great once I'm done with my current game. Dude has frightening stats.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The Mattybee posted:

Yeah, the more I'm playing this the more frustrated I'm getting with this gavelkind bullshit. Every time it's a race to see if I can reform the faith before whoever's doing well ends (hint: I can't), and if I can't, well, that's it, time for everything to go to poo poo!

On that note, how far out has anyone played? Obviously the vikings are going to :black101: over everyone at the beginning, but if you don't reform or convert fast you'll die out. I'm wondering how far out you can feasibly go.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Ok, so I make a deal to marry my heir to the Wendish Emperor's daughter, but then he imprisons her before she comes of age. And breakig the betrothal pisses him off, but apparently he's fine with holding her indefinitely.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Cumfart Vortex posted:

Yeah, I had thought it was going to be an extension of all the dates back to 867.

I'd bet on it getting modded in. I was hoping that too.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Man, gently caress the Mongols. I was playing as a count in Hungary until the Ilkhanate came in. They had wiped out the Golden Horde, taken Constantinople, and were fielding twice the army of the Holy Roman Empire.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Hammy posted:

Newbie question: I have a Duke with a claim on the Kingdom of England, if I press it and win does he remain my vassal or does he become the independent King of England? If he becomes independent what happens to the duchy he already controls?

I don't think so. I'm not an expert, but I do think that you have to be higher rank than the other guy to control him.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Man, gently caress y'all Vikings. Playing as Alfred the Great, just overthrew my brother and am swiftly conquering my way up England. :black101:

edit: Why should I throw out Vikings raiding my land? I know it gives them money but does it hurt my province?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Had a 67% warscore against the king of Jorvik, Scotland was kicking his rear end, then he converts and I lose my CB. So close.

e: Anf then the opportunistic little bastard goes to holy war against his own Viking buddies.

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 30, 2013

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

SkySteak posted:

How do I loot provinces?

Select the unit and there should be an icon near their name to have them go into raiding mode.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I'm running England as an elective monarchy, is there any real advantage to creating the five or so duchies that don't exist yet? Seems to me it would only mean more electors to worry about, but is there some advantage I'm missing?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

lechunnel posted:

This game confuses the gently caress out of me. I tried Googling for an answer to my beginner's question but failed:

Someone - one of my vassals - has declared war on me, so I round up the troops and besiege all the provinces in their duchy. Now each one of those areas has solid (not dotted) red diagonal lines across it, and is listed as being 'Occupied' by me. Now what? I understand the idea of fabricating CB in order to justifying declaring war, but I fail to get how to claim someone's lands once I've murdered their armies and successfully besieged their lands.

Usually I play diplomatically in these games but this brings out the tyrant within.

There should be a little icon in the corner showing the target's icon with a percentage beneath it. That percentage is the "warscore" which you raise through battles and occupation. If it's 100% go to diplomacy (right-click on the portrait) and hit "offer peace" with the "enforce demands" option. If it's not 100%, then you're missing something- see if there's anywhere else you're at war with.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Are counselors spreading tech supposed to go in the territory tech spreads from or to?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Mystic_Shadow posted:

Spreads to, I think.

Just checked it, and yeah, it's spread to. Welp, just spent the past 100 years or so researching useless tech.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Zoinker posted:

So apparently the new patch made an Abyssinian empire possible, but despite having all the de-jure territories and titles, I still don't get the option to create it. Is there something I'm missing?

Culture group?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

:argh:

DrPop posted:

Could anyone briefly explain how the new tech system works? Can't seem to find an explanation in the patch notes.

It's pretty similar to before, except you can now hurry it along. If you're a duke or above, you'll accumulate tech points in your capital based on your stats (Learning for all and Diplo, Martial, and Steward for particulars). Once you get enough tech points to buy a new level, your tech in the capital goes up one level. From there, it spreads to nearby territories, which can be sped up by putting counselors there. Techs have also been streamlined a little.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

SpaceGirlArt posted:

Well, the tables certainly turned quickly on me.

I start out in Ireland, in the southernmost province of Desmond(Old Gods). I spent the first 30 years or so improving my holdings and getting money. In the meantime, Christian Spain is pretty much united under one banner. I slowly expand, taking 3 new provinces and creating a duchy. At this point, I manage to score off a major coup by marrying my heir in a regular marriage to the queen of said Christian Spain. She's really powerful and has a ton of room to expand into using holy war CBs. Plus, that will hopefully scare Jorvik off and prevent him from taking my Irish holdings.

This is when everything goes wrong. My heir has one son and 3 daughters. The queen had 2 daughters prior to marriage with my heir. Ruler dies, heir inherits. Everything is good and setup... when..

My sole son, the heir to my Irish holdings and the Queen's Spanish holdings, dies. So, the queen's lands are going off to her daughters and I lack the funds to go on assassination sprees. Meanwhile, my eldest daughter is set to inherit Ireland. Not a big deal, right? Oh, except that she's already in a regular marriage. Before I have a chance to try and off him, my character dies.

Now I'm a female ruler, widely hated in my little duchy. Within a month, I'm excommunicated by a rival Irish catholic ruler. Great. I assassinate my husband. Assassination fails. He tries to hit me back. He wounds me. I get the revenge event, and finally take him down. I quickly remarry (into orthodox) and try to have kids. A few years later, still no pregnancy and my childbearing years are growing fewer. I send him gifts and try to get him to like me in hopes that will boost my chances of pregnancy. Meanwhile, my entire realm revolts against me. I manage to crush it with the help of mercenaries and give a revoked province title to my husband.

He promptly demands independence and I go into a civil war with the guy who was supposed to get me pregnant.

By the time I crush his revolt, I'm like 45 and drifting well out of child bearing age. I'm now currently coasting into a game over with no way out. Very unfortunate.

Can you change succession law? Set up an elective and start revoking titles of everyone that disagrees. Sure, odds are you'll get crushed in the revolt, but it's better than a guaranteed game over.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

So my character dies and I check out my new guy. He had four sons, only one was still alive. One died of natural causes at 30-something, all right. The other two died in childhood. So I check it out- they were both murdered, and my wife did it. She was my third wife and the last son was the only one that was hers, she'd murdered the other two so her son would inherit. So, I had her imprisoned, banished, and got an annulment, she's now sitting around in Norway somewhere.

The punchline? I'm running an elective monarchy, her son didn't get the throne.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

A little late to the pagan game, but my Chieftain of Greater Poland is looting it up, and is there any way to get money out of non-adjacent, non-coastal provinces?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I've been playing the game for 82 hours and I didn't know that capturing close relatives boosts warscore. Found this out accidentally when the queen of Great Moravia declared war on me to press her son's claim. Beat her with the help of lots of mercenaries, promptly declared war back while I still outnumbered her, and found myself sitting pretty at 50% warscore right off the bat. :smug:

e: you know, it's really great when your wife decides to send your son to a guardian who's not of your culture and has poo poo diplomacy, but who is a duke of two provinces about to be overrun by a major power.

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 30, 2013

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Now that I've really got the basics of the game down pat, is there a good place to go to learn the subtleties? Stuff like "who should I hand out titles to" and "who should I marry" and "how can I ridiculously min-max my armies"? As England/Ireland I can stomp all over everyone but Poland is a scary place, surrounded by Germans, Vikings, Russians, Mongols, and those damned resilient Hungarians, and I need to know the game a lot better to do well.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

Try a Christian nation in Iberia in either the Old Gods or 1066 start. You start in a precarious position, but one that can be exploited. It'll teach you about the importance of alliances, intrigue, and surviving clowncars.

Thanks, I'm already a bit into a Poland game but I'll try out Spain if it goes south. What's the best way to break up a enemy nation- not so I can grab chunks, but just fracture it permanently? Lotharingia has a huge blob between France and Germany and I'm a bit worried about them.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Glass Hand posted:

Also, "damned resilient Hungarians" is news to me. Hungary is a festival of civil war in nearly every game I play. I've never seen a post-1066 Hungary pose any kind of threat to any of its neighbors, as it's usually too busy fighting out a full-blown ducal insurrection while being simultaneously harassed by Pechenegs.

I dunno, it's been pretty stable for me, it's just big and wearing it down is gonna be trouble. Probably should do it before I import to EUIV though, given how crazy it is to core Hungarian provinces in that game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Commoners posted:

So I am playing as a crazed homosexual berserker with a starting diplomacy of -5 as the vikings invading England, and everything immediately begins going downhill after I take over the provinces via invasion.

Every last one of my vassals and courtiers is at -100 relationship, so I immediately arrest everyone, wipe up the ones who rebel, and then systematically execute them if they don't have money and if they have money I banish them. They flee to the neighboring nations which I use de jure claims to snatch up their nobles and then proceeds to wildly murder my way across England.

I am at 50/4 on my demense and make +2 per tick when my army is at rest. The only way for me to make money is to burn down all of england at once with my 16k raiding army.

King Batshit Insane is literally cutting out the middleman from his kingdom.

I've always wanted to see a gimmick playthrough where you have no vassals and run absolutely everything yourself.

How can I destabilize Muslim regimes? The Seljuks have conquered Hungary in 1066 (:stare:) and the Byzantines are already a Miaphysite wreck. Crusades should follow shortly, but I'm worried about the Seljuks breathing down my neck in Poland.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Mailer posted:

New addict chiming in. I got caught by the Humble Bundle trap.

1. Is it a general good idea to go for elective succession and then just make sure your demesne is maxed?
Edit: Answered my own question. One vote is one vote. I got lucky with retarded vassals all voting for themselves and got my heir in anyway.

2. A few times (possibly due to fast forwarding) I've had the Righteous Imprisonment icon pop up out of nowhere. In it's latest incarnation I apparently hate my wife for being dishonest, and can imprison her, but I have no idea why. It popped up as her Scottish nobles were aiding me in Ireland, and then she got into a claim war, so maybe it has something to do with her troops bailing. Is there any way to go back and see why I have cause for Righteous Imprisonment?

Go to their diplomacy page and click Imprison, it should say something like "no one will care because we have evidence she's leader of a plot/she's excommunicated/she's acted dishonorably towards us."

I've been losing battles where I had ~30K troops and my enemy had ~25K, but still lose handily, it looks like my center flank is collapsing too fast. How should I be organizing my military?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

^^^Thanks. (to the guy who answered my question about levies)

I'm about to form the Wendish Empire, assuming nothing goes hilariously wrong. How should I divide up my kingdom titles? Up until now I've been very careful about making sure no one has more than one duchy so they can't get too powerful and making as many dukes as possible dynasty members so even if I'm defeated in a vote, odds are my dynasty will still be in power. But throwing in King titles means that I'll end up with a handful of subordinates that have decent chunks of power by themselves.

e:

Mailer posted:

The plots are generally announced by the spymaster, and if I ever have excommunicated vassals it will probably be announced, but it's the "dishonorable" stuff that confuses me. It didn't seem to affect me at all but having a -10 makes me think I should have at least known why the modifier was there.

Dishonorable generally means they declared war on you, so in a confused scrum of rebellions she might have accidentally sided against you at some point?

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 2, 2013

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Just had the most stable succession I've ever seen- worst opinion of the new guy is +42. Good thing too, my last king decided to die young in the middle of a war.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Managed to fight the Seljuks to a standstill and finally capture their leader himself, despite having about a quarter of their total forces. :feelsgood: I think I've more or less figured out how to fight a war. Bring on the Mongols!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

What's a good balance for retinue composition? I've just about gotten enough income to pay for it and I need the troops.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

AfroSquirrel posted:

I think I've only been able to pick grandchildren when they were landed or their parents were dead and they remained in my court.

So the answer is - as always - stabbing.

Succession in elective is your siblings, children, and all dukes/kings in the realm.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Nothing like discovering your new heir has married his aunt.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

If I'm sending a councilor at someone (eg spy network to assassinate or chancellor to raise opinion) should I send them where they are or where their capital is? Like, if they're leading an army but not moving it, should I move the chancellor there?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Is it worth it to have two empire-level titles simultaneously in an elective setup? The Holy Polish Empire has a nice ring to it, but I don't wanna lose half my land in a bad election.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

So I just won a crusade for Italy from the Fraticelli Genoese. All the trade posts (everywhere) seem to have been wiped out. Is there anything I should with merchant republics as an Emperor?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

So I'm in a little bit of an odd game- I formed the Wendish Empire about the size of a mega-HRE and was content to sit on that until the Spanish Muslims came up through France and conquered Germany. So now the same king has won crusades for France and Fraticelli Italy, as well as holy-warring most of Germany and Hungary, and I'm running into a problem. I don't have enough people to grant titles to. I don't like someone having more than one duchy if I can help it, but I'm out of kids, I'm out of close relatives, I'm out of faithful old mayors to upgrade, I have to parcel out all of Italy and there's no one to take it.

Also, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

So, having finally decided to go back to my mega-Poland game and give out Italy, is it best to have only one merchant republic beneath you or several? I wanna create some just for the money, but will having multiple of them cause headaches or should is it okay to split them up to prevent consolidation?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If I conquer Venice in my Byzantine game do I gain control of all their special money making mechanics or does it just turn into a regular county?

As I'm just going through this in my Italian conquest: The important thing is that you've created a merchant republic, which is a) coastal and b) a duke (or maybe count) level title held by a mayor.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

In regard to chat about vassal Republics: Less than a year after I formed Genoa and Pisa as republics, they are leading my vassal taxes with a 50% modifier. They're making like a third of my yearly income and I own like 3/4 of mainland Europe.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

e: wrong thread

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Sartana posted:

I love how royal families end up with all these people sharing the same name. I imagine that caused some confusion.

"Down with William! William is the true king!"

I had a ruler named Bjorn who named all 5 of his kids Bjorn. His grandson was named Beorn.

• Locked thread