Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I started playing this last week and I can't get enough. Haha this game:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

^^^^ Can you only castrate your heir as a Byzantine? What nonsense

Veryslightlymad posted:

Do you need a Lunatic king? Possessed?

Yeah I was a lunatic then. The chancellor slot just becomes empty though :smith: a horse portrait would've been fantastic.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I had something similar where I joined the Holy War vs the Aztecs and just got all of France. I thought I'd be there for hours assigning counties to kinsmen and couriers, but I ended up just creating a bunch of duchies, and handing them over (counties, baronies and all) to whoever. I don't know if that's bad but I don't give a gently caress anymore because I'm Emperor of Britannia and I have bigger things to worry about.

Like my 1 year old daughter dying of Syphilis. What? Was that ever a thing?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

He is literally the best warrior and the best spy and the best diplomat in all of Ireland. I'd like to see his rivals try.

I did get an awesome plot where my son decided to have me assassinated. Trying to hasten the inheritence, Brian?

My first King of Sweden was a badass Viking raider who everyone loved and who just would not die. He had a bunch of cool sons and I wanted to get to the inheriting part so I started sending him on suicidal raids around age 80 so he would get injured in battle or something. Instead he managed to completely sack both Paris and Rome on a single round trip of Europe, defeating armies twice the size of his retinue because he was a heavy infantry leader with like 25 martial. Finally he was assassinated at age 85 in a plot contrived by at least two of the sons. After 85 years I'd get impatient too

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

You can get sons out of the succession by appointing them as successors to your bishop vassals (in the Religion tab). They don't even have to hold those bishoprics when you die, as long as they're in the queue for bishop succession they won't receive any of your titles.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Is there anything that would cause a murder plot to not fire? I had the Prince of Sweden at 350% plot power with 15 backers for something like a decade before his father died and he inherited and it was too late for me to benefit. He didn't have super high intrigue or anything and it's not that attempts failed, it's that there were no attempts at all. I think that's the first time I've had something like that with such a high plot power

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Try 1066, you won't have to deal with an assload of Viking kings landing and claiming half of the British Isles

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Promontory posted:

Is there a way to rescue someone from prison? My current ruler's marriage is childless, so his nephew is the heir to the throne. I had his mother marry a Danish mayor with good genes matrilineally, and as far as I recollect he showed up in my court. Now, however, he's taken the family back to Denmark (he has acquired an honourary title, maybe that's why?) and my 5-year old heir is in the Queen of Denmark's dungeon for some inscrutable reason.

You should be able to ransom him back from the Queen of Denmark's diplomacy menu

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

You could try giving him a landed title directly under you, instead of under his father, and try educating him that way.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I figure the CK2 thread would know this: Is there a name for the type of succession law where a wife will inherit her husband's titles if he dies (or vice versa)? So you marry the King of England and have him killed, and you are now Queen of England or something

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

That, or if the claimant is a vassal of yours. For instance in my last game I was the Duke of Deheubarth, and my vassal the Count of Glamorgan had a claim on the county of Powys, next door. I pressed his claim and he gained Powys, which is outside my de jure duchy, but because he's still my vassal and he's still lower rank than me, Powys becomes part of my realm.

So if one of your courtiers has a nice claim, you could try giving them land first and then pressing their claim. I think this also works if the land they're claiming is part of your de jure realm, whether they are your vassal or just a courtier.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

You could ruler-design a Sunni with some daughters and put him in charge of a Baltic duchy or something, then save/load as your own Russian ruler and engineer a way for both of you to cross paths somehow.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

My Norse game just went really ice cold. I created Jarl Ulfric of Jorvik, whose prepared invasion of Northumbria and conquest of Skotland (dethroning Ivar the Boneless) made him a powerful and well-loved king. He raised an amazing son, Erik, who was strong and brave and kind and just, and who joined the Varangian Guard to bring honour to his father's name. There were other sons, too, but they were raised as soldiers, not rulers, with the intent that Erik should inherit the throne of Skotland.

Erik comes back from the Varangians as a maimed blind eunuch, just months before his father Ulfric is murdered on the orders of the Duke of Wessex. Erik inherits Skotland, but his brother Kjartan, the marshal of the realm, is the one who inherits their father's historical demesne of Jorvik. Blind King Erik is incensed and immediately moves to revoke the jarldom of Jorvik, but his brother raises his levies and goes to war. At the same time, nearly every single count in Skotland (which stretches as far south as Bedford) start an inheritance war, wanting to put Ivar's son Sigtrygg on the throne. King Erik only has his demesne, Galloway, and his stalwart retinues who are currently sieging the castle of Jorvik.

A bloody war ensues, with the rebelling Scottish counts occupying King Erik's northern territories. Erik's retinues managed to conquer Jorvik and imprison his brother, but he was losing the war in the north, and didn't have the manpower to stand up to the rebels.

Instead, he banished his brother Kjartan and seized all his titles, including the entire Jarldom of Jorvik, then imprisoned Sigtrygg Ivarsson - who was at court in Jorvik - and had him executed. The northern counts laid down their arms, but between the banishment, imprisonment and execution, all of them absolutely hated Erik's guts, and the throne of Skotland had a long list of claimants. Factions started springing up, a couple of new ones each month, but Blind King Erik could neither fight all these wars nor win over his vassals. Instead, he kept an iron hold on Skotland by immediately imprisoning every claimant that the factions managed to find. As soon as they delivered an ultimatum, he had the claimant executed. He went through Ivar the Boneless's entire family, various Scottish lords, both of his brothers, both of his sisters, various nieces and nephews and anyone else who stood in the way.

He now has a -450 tyranny penalty with every single one of his vassals, but since nobody can find a claimant that isn't within Erik's power to imprison and execute (or, in a pinch, have assassinated), there is no cause for war. Only Blind King Erik the cruel, ruling Skotland with an iron fist, making public executions of all who threaten his grip on the throne. Soon he will be dead, and his son Botulfr will inherit a quieter realm, but Erik's reign of terror shall be passed down in Skottish history for centuries to come.

I wish this game had a kill count, because I swear I've executed like 30 of these fuckers

update: Blind Eunuch King Erik was challenged to holmgang by his steward and slain in honourable combat

Boing fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 4, 2013

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

My Viking hordes conquered Rome and every holding in it, but the current Pope is still 'Residing in Rome' according to his character screen, so I can only assume that the new Jarl keeps Pope Damasus I in his closet, and brings him out with an axe to his throat when the Italian lords start raising their levies.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I just won my first Great Holy War as Norse to take most of France, but now I can't launch another one. What's the cooldown on them? Is it only 'One Great Holy War per Fylkir', or do I just have to wait a certain number of years?

Based on this I suspect I thought it was 10 years:
pre:
crusade = {
	name = CB_NAME_CRUSADE
	war_name = WAR_NAME_CRUSADE
	sprite = 9
	truce_days = 3650
But the normal 'claim' CB has the same line, so that just seems to be the truce timer against that particular ruler rather than a CB cooldown. Anyone know?

Boing fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 8, 2013

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Hahaha what

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

It shouldn't be hard, since Republics already have to pay bride prices - you might even be able to do it just by changing some tags around.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Is there a way to mod the 'Designated Heir' honorary title into non-Republic games and have it work properly in a Primogeniture succession? Or is it too tied into the Republic succession system?

e: Nevermind, looks like it's hardcoded to patricians

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Cmon naval combat DLC

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I tried starting a game as a Byzantine Count because I wanted to ascend to Basileus and reform the Roman Empire. But seriously, gently caress being a vassal in a kingdom/empire with medium+ crown authority because you just can't get poo poo done

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

An expanded diplomacy system could do things like allow for conditional diplomatic offers. Like there's someone in another court who wants to be a chancellor and I want to make him my chancellor, but because he's at only at 60 opinion with me he won't leave his liege who he dislikes in order to come and work for me. 'No reason to move' my rear end, I want to make you a loving chancellor

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I want more Sons of Abraham news. Paradox :argh:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

There's no Germanic paganism in the game, is there? I'm pretty sure parts of Saxony would've still been un-Christianised by the time of the Old Gods start date. Or is that all pretty much under the umbrella of Norse paganism?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

ThomasPaine posted:

e: On that note, is it possible to give your spouse/lover(/s) the great pox? I've not noticed it, but it would be quite cool if you could.

You can definitely pass it on to your children at least, I had a 1 year old daughter die of syphilis

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Stabbing your children is Gamey and dumb.

I'm sure someone at some point in history decided that they wanted their kingdom to go to a younger, more competent heir and at least considered the possibility of stabbing within the family

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Having a depressed ruler really is awesome. I was the Earl of Mann, and managed to marry the heir to the Duchy of Soreyar and murder her entire family, so my son stood to inherit both Soreyar and the County of Mann. I murdered my wife and committed suicide on my son's 16th birthday :allears:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Sindai posted:

Homosexuality only decreases fertility, it doesn't set it to -1000 like chaste celibate does.

I've always thought it weird that homosexuality is only a small fertility malus. It should at least be in the region of -80% or so. As it is now, being lustful practically balances out being gay (and I'm pretty sure that doesn't make sense)

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

quiggy posted:

Yikes, I'm sorry for being disappointed in the very small representation of Jewish rulers. Thanks for letting me know what I am and am not allowed to be disappointed about in a new DLC.

It's just unclear what you were wanting/expecting from it. "Alt-history scenario" is not a reasonable request given that the only precedent was the most poorly received DLC. Was conversion to Judaism even a thing? I thought they were pretty strict about it being matrilineal only.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Mailer posted:

Is there a way to game inheritable traits? I can't seem to get mom's incredible mind on to the kids. It's may just be that I suck at dice rolls but if it's 50/50 the odds would be with me.

It's 15% to pass down traits like Genius to your kids, but you can mod that by making some edits to the CK2/common/traits text file

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Clanpot Shake posted:

Invite claimants with strong claims and marry them to your dynasty. When they have a couple of sons, kill the claimant and press the claim of the son. Since they're of your dynasty they will be your vassal if you win the war.

This doesn't happen if the title is the same rank as yours, though, right? If you're King of Ireland and you push your cousin's claim on Scotland or whatever then they become an independent king, since kings can't vassalise kings.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I got my son married to the pope's bastard daughter just as the pope died :smith:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I killed Ivar the Boneless in a duel :smug:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

quote:

- Marriage, betrothal, and concubinage can no longer be arrange while imprisoned

Does this mean you can't imprison someone and then force them to marry you? Because that's one of my winning strategies. Or is it just that you can't make marriage arrangements while imprisoned yourself?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Someone mentioned Merchant Republics are overpowered. But as far as I can tell your only CBs are really slow, you are taking cities at a time and maybe turning them into county conquests later. It doesn't seem like you can achieve any significant expansion as quickly as most other game types can. How do you get your big empires? Are you just supposed to declare holy war on muslims and roll them with your mercenary armies?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Playing as a Republic is hard! I'm playing the 867 Venice start with a custom ruler who's a lustful hedonist midas touched. My plan was to sex as many women as possible to get a load of male family members and spam out trade posts for big income early on. My first Doge had nine sons and a daughter, so that was perfect, and I managed to marry most of them off to genius women and start a nice little eugenics program.

But I'm on my third Doge now and not really managing to get to the 'swimming in money' stage. Nobody mentioned the 'family allowances' that I have to pay all the male family members in my court, so easily half of my income is going toward making all my sons and brothers rich apparently. The rest of it is going on upgrading my holdings and my palace and building trade posts (I'm up to 20 now and I just wiped out Amalfi when they turned Lollard) but it's not enough!

Not having matrilineal marriage or title revocation are big handicaps as well. Daughters seem really useless as a result, since alliances are sometimes more trouble than they're worth, and I only use them for prestige boosts by marrying random dukes and their relatives.

I mean, I wanted a bit of a challenge after my last game as Castile/Hispania where I conquered the HRE and everything west of it in about 100 years (getting a vassal-pope-son is pretty broken for how easy it is), so this is keeping me interested. But I don't understand whoever called republics overpowered!

The fun part is trying to figure out the incestuous adulterous web that is my family, though. I'm sleeping with my wife, as well as the wives of two of my brothers and one of my sons, my own wife is sleeping with my brother and my son, who is also sleeping with one of my own lovers and god knows who else. These affairs have produced loads of kids that the husbands think are these, such that for any given nephew or grandson I've started forgetting whether they were actually mine or not, so I'm swimming in "nephews" and "grandsons". My older brother might actually be my father, my son might actually be my brother, and I've only just started marrying cousins to cousins so it's only going to get worse from here. Venetian politics!

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Only about 50 years, but I've got trade practices 3 so I no longer get a trade post malus and I've built about 20 now as I mentioned. I've also got income from Venice, my palace and the rest of my demesne (about 5 cities and a castle or two). Problem is my monthly revenue is about 50 gold and about 25 of that goes to family entitlements, which is my only upkeep cost. It's a lot! Is there any way to minimise it other than just having less family? Do landed men not have it?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

WilliamAnderson posted:

Remember, the money doesn't really go away when you pay it out to them. Just wait until the next one inherits, you'll get a bunch of your money back. It just means you get money in lump sums more.

Inheritances take a long time, I spend about as much money as any individual guy has on campaign funds to make sure the loving Tradonicos or whatever don't get elected, and with ~15 male family members in my court the money may as well be going away with all the likelihood I have of getting it back.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Play as a Muslim duke under the Umayyads or something, conquest your neighbouring co-vassals until you are your liege's sole vassal or something and break out on your own.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Yeah having a pope vassal is pretty much game over since there's basically nothing anyone can do against you at that point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

aragonARAGONaragon

:geno: I am the King of Aragon
:geno: I too am the King of Aragon

• Locked thread