Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

StashAugustine posted:

Old Gods informs me that the duchy of Greater Poland is actually a republic, and I can't play republics despite having the proper DLC. What's wrong? Also, can you adjust the date pre-1066?

You can play merchant republics if you have that DLC. Merchant republics are coastal republics that are Duchy, Kingdom, or Empire level. The Duchy of Greater Poland is inland isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

StashAugustine posted:

Are counselors spreading tech supposed to go in the territory tech spreads from or to?

Spreads to, I think.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

crm posted:

There might actually be too many wars in TOG.

I played as the Sorbs, became King of Pomerania and Poland, and I think 98% of the time I was at war with multiple parties.

Let me try Italy just for fun.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

There is almost no problem in CK2 that cannot be solved by stabbing.

Enemy King too strong? Stab him, let his vassals fight amongst themselves. Your vassal getting too powerful? Stab him, replace him with someone more pliable. Your heir an idiot? Stab him, get a better one. Your wife too old to have kids? Stab her, trade up for a younger model. Your treasury a little low? Stab a courtier, inherit their pocket change. Adventurer coming to seize your lands? Stab him before he gets there. Pope unhappy about your investiture laws? Stab him, hope the next pope is more reasonable.

Stabbing solves everything.

Am I the only one that uses stabbing as a last resort thing? And even then, I am more likely to use my money to hire more mercs than to waste 250 gold having a 25% chance of killing one dude, and then getting found out and having everyone hate me.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Dauntasa posted:

That's why you plot to stab them.

Oh man I really should focus on Intrigue more.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

GrossMurpel posted:

Speaking of stabbings, is there any way to destabilize the HRE? I'm the Doge of Venice and I wanna acquire all my trade post lands. I keep assassinating the HRE emperor but due to it being elective they always get a high diplomacy guy in and never collapse.

I always laugh at the people who claim playing as Venice is like playing with cheats, but then there are others who want to give them even more power.

You're not really meant to have trade posts in the HRE as Venice. They will embargo your serene butt and there's little you can do about it.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Rejected Fate posted:

...Huh.

DLC even further back in time some time?

Maybe a Rise of Islam expansion?

If they're going to go back in time even further, they'll need a few important changes:

1. I guess you can claim that Catholic and Orthodox Christians were already separated by 867, but if you go back to the 500s, they're definitely united as one. So there would have to be an chain of events leading to the Great Schism.

2. They would need a better model for tribal states that moved around in the early medieval period (like in Germany.)

3. I think marches could be a cool thing to implement. Marches were territories at the periphery of a state (like the Carolingian empire) that were mainly filled with castles (as opposed to cities and temples.) Given the remoteness of such areas, their rulers were quite autonomous.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Veryslightlymad posted:

Are we sure Syphilis is in this game and not a CK2+ add-on? I don't think I've ever seen anyone in any of my games actually have the disease.

I don't think CK2+ actually adds new diseases.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

I am actually disappointed that the cardinals don't wear red. The rest of the DLC is great though.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Corsica and Sardinia have fallen into the sea after a giant earthquake.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Toadsniff posted:

Can someone remind me again why we are paying $15 for the same DLC over and over? I'm trying to justify my purchase of Rajas outside of just seeing the Indian subcontinent and I can't do it. The religions are garbage and unfun and less feature filled than vanilla.

Well then don't buy it? No one is forcing you to.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

brocretin posted:

What would replace it in the earlier start dates? I was thinking the same thing, but I don't know a drat thing about feudal French history.

Eseentially the area that became the Duchy of Normandy came under the control of Franks under Clovis I in the late 5th century. For the next few centuries, it was a part of Neustria and later West Francia in 843. During this time, wealthy aristocrats built many abbeys in the area which became the target of the Vikings starting around 790. The Vikings did so much damage that the Carolingians had to give away part of their territory to the Bretons, who established a march there. Paris was sieged on a couple of occasions, once in 845 by Ragnar and against a few decades later by Rollo. The raids were so damaging that Rollo was eventually given land in Normandy in 911, as long as he would protect the area against other Vikings. He sorta kinda did that but also grabbed a bunch of land to the west and expanded his realm through conquest and turned it into a duchy.

E: To answer the question there really weren't any duchies in France before the 10th century (in the sense that no one was really called a dux.)

Don Pigeon fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 27, 2014

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Not sure how this happened. :shepface:

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

MinistryofLard posted:

Asking again, since it seems to have been missed.

Also did the beta patch fix the problem with game-overing when you lose the Republic election or literally being impossible to lose? They mentioned something about deleting trade posts or something, but I wasn't sure what the root cause of that bug was.

I lost the game the other day after I won Greece in a crusade as Doge of Venice and clicked on the button to allow a vassal to distribute my holdings.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Whorelord posted:

someone want to explain how this finnish pagan and his brothers ended up fighting for islamic persia?

Wasn't there a movie about some viking dude who was fighting for some Muslim tribe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Edison was a dick posted:

My Sušureyjar game has been fun.

That is indeed the de-jure map mode, and Ivar lived to 93.

Your capital isn't the island and thus invalidates your whole claim. :colbert:

• Locked thread