Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Beamed posted:

I mean what did you expect from a major patch?

I guess if you use Steam yeah there was nothing you could do and that sucks.

He could have just copied the CK2 folder somewhere else, since there's no DRM in CK2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Well, that was easy. Only took me 40 years as KingFylkir Haraldr Fairhair. The pagan subjugation CB is pretty crazy. I took all of Denmark, their possessions in England and a couple of Baltic provinces with one short war. Would probably have exploded pretty good when I died if I hadn't reformed the faith and switched to Elective succession.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Greek love? I already have 4 other gay children, it should be called Norse love. :v:

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I usually play a custom diplomacy ruler, but since I decided to start as mr. Fairhair for the historic flavour I've come to realize just how dangerous it is to be a general in this game. My second son died in Greece fighting for the Varangian Guard, my "quick" heir died just a couple of days later, and then my last son died fighting against the swedes in the same battle I got knocked on the head and became incapable. Thank Thor I decided to switch to Elective, because my first three daughters had several kids through regular marriages. Two days later Fairhair dies and my "quick" youngest daughter is now fylkja and empress of an almost united Scandinavia.

Subyng posted:

This is on sale on Steam right now for 9.99. For 19.99 I can get the Crusader Kings II Collection which includes a bunch of extra DLC. Is it worth it to get the Collection? Does it add anything substantial to the game?

Definitely worth it. The Republic and Sword of Islam makes Republics and Muslim leaders playable. Legacy of Rome adds special events for Byzantium and activates retinues for everyone. The Ruler Designer does what it says and it's very fun to make weird scenarios like a Muslim ruler of Ireland. Sunset Invasion is an alternative history scenario where the Aztecs invade western Europe, it's not really mandatory, but it can be fun. The rest is only extra songs and cosmetic stuff, but it's really cheap and makes for more fun visual variation.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

FriggenJ posted:

So is there nothing to replace the nation-wide grand tournament for pagans? I haven't had the create a runestone option since I reformed the Norse faith and every generation suffers massive succession crises.
Norse pagans only have blots, runestones, and grand hunts.
Here's what you need for the runestone decision to pop up:
code:
potential = {
			has_dlc = "The Old Gods"
			is_ruler = yes
			age = 16
			prisoner = no
			OR = {
				culture_group = north_germanic
				religion = norse_pagan
				religion = norse_pagan_reformed
			}
			NOT = {	has_character_flag = commissioned_runestone }
			NOT = { year = 1150 }
Maybe your later rulers have the wrong culture?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I didn't even think about raiding during my first two rulers, but seeing all those fun events happen to other people in this thread I decided to try it at least once after my female ruler died and my son inherited. Yeah, it might be a bit overpowered...

I send an army to pillage Genoa, Rome and Venice like clockwork every time the looted status expires, and I usually take home something like 1200-1500 gold every time.
He even got the viking trait while sitting in Holstein.

Does anyone know what's supposed to be in the chest you find while raiding? I've opened it three times now, but it's just scrolls that turn to dust every time. I assume it's tied to my traits or stats?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Sheep posted:

Males can own temples.

Can someone confirm that having a female seer breaks all the seer events? Someone earlier mentioned that they were all male_only or something.

Yeah, it does. All events related to the seer/lord spiritual job have male_only as a prerequisite. Not a problem before TOG since only men could have that job. To fix it you just have to open "job_lord_spiritual.txt" in the events folder and delete all instances of "men_only." You can check it yourself by appointing a female seer and hovering over the proselytize button. The tooltip should show yearly chance of converting a province and that other event if it's working.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

SkySteak posted:

Can Crusades/Jihad be called before old 1066 start date? Though not impossible, it'd be cool to play Islam with some breathing space against the Crusader Clown Car.

No, crusades can be called after 1090, great holy wars after 1100 and jihads not until 1187.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

H) You keep almost all of the awesomeness of pre-reformation Norse religion and lose almost nothing worthwhile(you lose the ability to raise Runestones, I believe, more's the pity). You will have vassals bitching about you raising their troops, but that's balanced out by not having to sweat it if you go for too long without warring.

You'll still have the ability to raise runestones, but only until 1150, whether you reform or not.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Pakled posted:

Does the Berserker trait make a character more likely to die/get wounded in battle?

Actually if I'm reading the battle_events.txt file correctly Berserker trait makes you immune to death, maimings and wounds in battle. You can still become incapable due to a blow to the head in battle, though. Unless there's some special death events for berserkers it's an extremely good trait for a commander, and it does correspond with IRL lore.

wikipedia posted:

[Odin’s] men went without their mailcoats and were mad as hounds or wolves, bit their shields…they slew men, but neither fire nor iron had effect upon them. This is called 'going berserk.

Chickpea Roar fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 30, 2013

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Ah, yes. oldgods_various_events.txt has those events. Slightly disappointing, but I guess it would have been a bit overpowered.

Edit: It seems like the chance of death/wounds/maimings are identical for Berserkers and non-Berserkers, though.

Chickpea Roar fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 30, 2013

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

toasterwarrior posted:

I take the time to siege if the capital holding in the county is a Temple or City. Goes down quick, usually gives you around 50 ducats even with the less-developed cities. Otherwise, pack it up and move on once all the free loot taken.

Of course, Venice is a big exception. It's worth it to crack the castle so you can get at the rest of the cities in the province. Sometimes I wonder if it's better to let the Doges fill in the holding slots before looting all their poo poo.

Same with Rome. You'll need to siege two castles, I think, but all those churches go down quick. You won't have to worry about any armies and you'll probably get more than 500 gold just for Rome in addition to prisoners, religious authority for sieging the churches and cool events.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Raiding temples gives you 1% authority for each one you completely loot.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

MotU posted:

Where can I find the Ruler Designer files so I can mess around with cost values for traits?

At the end of ck2\common\defines.lua

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Zurai posted:

Do I have to do something manually to convert them? I'm assuming there's something I can do about it because there's one of those big "important information warning" bubbles up top that lists all of them.

This part of your question makes me think your problem isn't non-norse holdings, but non-feudal holdings. If your character controls cities or temples as a feudal lord you get that warning. All you have to do is right click the holding create a new vassal for it if it's not the capitol. If it is the capitol, though, you either have to revoke a castle to make that the new capitol or give the county away to an existing baron of a castle.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Rejected Fate posted:

So I know there's eventual Scandinavian culture events but do the Norse in Russian territories get similar events? Thinking of starting a Rurik game.

I don't think so. There's only events for Norse -> Danish, Norwegian, Swedish and Norman in oldgods_culture_conversion.txt.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Would expanding the map towards India make sense for the period?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

CapnAndy posted:

I've never played CK2+. Here is what I know:

Pre 1.10
- Started as an Irish Duke
- Set inheritance to Primogeniture first thing I did
- Created Kingdom of Ireland
- Game had no problems with that being primogeniture

Post 1.10
- Created Kingdom of Wales
- Usurped Kingdom of France
- Created Kingdom of Brittany
- In every case, game immediately set Crown Authority to minimum and wants HCA for primogeniture
- If I go back and look at Ireland's laws, it says Medium Crown Authority is all you need for primogeniture
- Wales, France, and Brittany seem to feel differently about this

Is that correct behavior or am I bugged

I think it used to be that dukes could set their inheritance law to whatever they wanted, and if you created a kingdom it would keep the laws of the duchy. Now it seems to default to the Gavelkind, minimum CA and default levy/tax laws. I remember being able to for example raise CA in Denmark to medium, create the kingdom of Sweden with medium CA and then raise that to high. I don't know if it's a bug or WAD, but I don't like it.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I don't think so, I just made a guy with a modified 99 in every stat. I think stats roll around to 0 at around 140, though.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Nolanar posted:

If I'm Reformed Norse, can I send emissaries to convert unreformed Slavic/Finnish/etc pagans like the Christians and Muslims can? If so, how?

I'm pretty sure you can. I misclicked when I tried to convert one of my old-norse provinces and sent him to the capital of Sweden instead. He was instantly imprisoned, of course. Just do the same thing you do when converting your own provinces, but target the capital of the ruler you want to convert instead.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Does anyone know where in the files character modifiers are hidden? Jesus was supposed to give me military advice, but I haven't heard anything yet.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Dauntasa posted:

Most counties have at least 2 holdings, so yeah you took the first one and moved onto the second. Now, typically the first holding will be the hardest to take because it'll be a castle and the others will be towns or churches which are less heavily defended, but either you ran into 2 castles in a row(which I don't think is supposed to happen because you're supposed to have at least one of each holding before you can double up) or you ran into a surprisingly well upgraded church.

Cities usually have more men than castles, but they are much quicker to siege as long as you have enough men.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

theDOWmustflow posted:

How does the game determine plot power for a given character?

In my Sweden game, Denmark having conquered England could field 5x the troops I could muster so clearly they needed to be put down a peg before things got out of control. The Danish king was young with a newly born male heir so I began plotting regicide. As I was perusing the list for potential co-conspirators, as you do, I discovered a lowly mayor with a whopping 176% plot power. WTF? I'm pretty sure he wasn't a council member or anything like that. What happened there?

I think regents, guardians, spymasters and maybe cupholders get a sizeable increase to their plot power.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Fardels Bear posted:

Is there an upside to having a vassal merchant republic as a king or emperor? Does it increase the taxes in your holdings at all? From my brief time playing as Venice it seems like it would.

They'll also give you shitloads of ships in addition to money.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

CapnAndy posted:

Okay, so for sections, we have:
1) Standard Catholic
2) Byzantine
3) Muslim
4) Republic
5) Pagans

Missing anything?

There's also Zoroastrians, I guess..

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
You probably won't be constructing any new holdings for a while, but the first two income improvements only cost 100-180 gold, and they pay for themselves after a short while.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Frijolero posted:

How do you all play, as far as speed? Lately I've been waiting for my King to die so I sped time to the fullest. But usually I keep it at 3x. On what speed do you usually play?

Always max speed in every Paradox game. Maybe it depends on your machine, but I've never had any trouble with it, even in complicated wars. I just double tap the pause button to advance one day at a time if necessary.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Have a person of the right culture educate someone of your dynasty, give him/her all the de-jure land of the empire/kingdom, grant them independence and enough money for them to create the kingdom/empire, wait until they get enough piety and create the kingdom/empire, then stab your way down the line until you inherit the kingdom/empire. Easy. :v:

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Major Isoor posted:

Hey there, can anyone tell me why CK2's checksum is no longer matching up between mine and my friend's Steam versions of the game? Both are up to date, have the exact same DLC as each other and have the same tweaks to the game files as each other (I made sure to save them in a seperate folder so I knew what I changed), yet they're still different, even after messing around starting games then quitting to the menu. :(

Every time you start a game and resign to the menu the checksum changes, so that may be your problem. Try quitting to the desktop and restarting the game if you haven't already.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

cheesetriangles posted:

If you had endless money I think you can. However I think the more people in your court the more expensive it gets. With about 80 people in my court it cost around 300 gold each.

I think it's actually based on your monthly/yearly income. When your character dies all decisions based on income cost only 1 gold until your first payday, so if you saved up 5k you could pause on your characters death and present 5k new débutantes. You'd probably get carpal tunnel syndrome before you found a strong/genius one though.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Geokinesis posted:

Is it hardcoded that women in the game stop being able to get pregnant at 40?

45, I think, but men from other courts will stop agreeing to marriages before that. You can still marry men in your court, though, since they won't have a say in the matter.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Strudel Man posted:

That used to be the case, but actually, it now appears that you literally cannot marry anyone as a 45+ woman, even unmarried men in your court.

I just started a game with a 50 year old created queen of Italy, and I had plenty of opportunities to marry. The only one who'd want to marry matrilineally were in my court, though. If no-one shows up when you use the "marriage rings" have you tried using the diplomatic "arrange marriage" option on yourself?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I'd love an expanded map eastwards, but they're gonna have to either put in the Suez canal or fix their naval AI.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Anyone know how to solve this problem?

My awesome heir was born in his fathers court while the current empress was just a princess, so after I finished educating him he travelled back to his father, and now I can't decide who he marries. :argh:

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Unland the father. Or give him a title and tag over.

Ah, yes, that should work. Thank you.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I think I hit a bug. As Scandinavian emperor I launched a conquest for Asturias de Oviedo against the king of Castille, but when I won the war this happened:

Since he was a dirty heathen I could also revoke his king title and all his provinces without any negative reactions from my vassals.

This can't be right?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Try saving when the war-score reaches 100, load up as another ruler, wait for the war to finish, then save and see if you can load up as him.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Playing as a Zoroastrian ruler has been a real boon to my eugenics program.

My brother and my daughter make such a cute couple.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Baronjutter posted:

I've never seen a stat over 30, that's amazing. How do they even get up that high? I've seen at most raw traits reach 17-18 then boosted up into the mid 20's with various traits.

If you're the guardian there're several events that can raise the diplomacy of either the ward or yourself. The event that gave my heir the "gregarious" trait, for example, also came with +2 base diplomacy in addition to the +2 from the trait. The daughter has 8 dip from traits, 9 from education, 5 from genius and 9 base, so she's got quite good, but not amazing base stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Rincewind posted:

Yeah, if you run out of money, sometimes they immediately quit, sometimes they give you a while to get back in the black and then quit, and sometimes they just get fed up and declare war on you.

Sometimes they can also change allegiance to your enemy.

• Locked thread