Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I know we don't have numbers for Liminals yet, but somehow I'm picturing that every couple hundred miles in Creation there are these storm-swept lakes with forbidding rocky islands and inapproachable manses in the center, where mad scientists labour to return the dead to life.

This is 100% not a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Oligopsony posted:

I think there's a lot of value in maybe thinking of factions as distinct from splats, like, that Team Oblivion or Team Hell or Team Realm is bigger than the Exalt types traditionally associated with them. I'm not sure if standardized terms like "Iron Faction" does more to usefully allow this or to reify what, after all, should be a fairly broad spectrum of ideological banners to flock to, though.

I'm actually curious to see how the Realm/Immaculate Order will view the Exigents and the gods who create them.

If the Exigent is the product of a god loyal to the Realm, maybe they'll have the right to be allotted worship or on the Isle? If they're the creation of a god who opposes the Order, the Dragon-Blooded will be sent to beat them up until they acquiesce?

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

kthegreat posted:

For those who didn't know already one of the people who got the MA pledge is leaving one of his choices for the fans to decide. Voting is going on here.

If I don't get that DPC thing where you turn into the luck dragon from Neverending Story I'm going to flip out.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, but just imagine that looming over you though. You've spent years honing your Essence and your martial arts skill, mastering the pinnacle of grace and subtle power. You can walk into a room full of trained assassins armed with nothing but a scarf and walk away the victor.

Then it comes time for you to learn your style's final technique. This, your sifu tells you, is what you've been training towards...the supreme embodiment of the Dreaming Pearl Courtesan style. He asks you if you're read to begin.

And then he turns into a freaky-rear end seahorse monster. Holy poo poo. You were expecting some sort of incredible multi-parry that turns into grapples and lets you redirect a room full of attackers into hitting each other or something really sweet like that but nope, seahorse monster. Years of your life, building up to that.

The next day you go looking for a sword instructor.

Okay, this, except the years of my life have been building up to incredible joy, and the next day I'm swimming through the air bringing happiness to children.

GreenMetalSun fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 2, 2013

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Dodge Charms posted:

Jumping back to Liminals real quick: what's the in-world justification for people (and such) to keep trying resurrection, even though that has never worked even once in 10k+ years?

Or are those supposed to be the exceptions, and most Liminals come from people (and such) trying to make a Liminal? ("That Shadowland is really getting out of control, let's stitch us up a new sheriff!")

It's possible that Liminals lie to deliberately muddy the waters. ('I totally am your son!')

You second idea about the sheriff is honestly pretty cool.

Also, while resurrection is indeed impossible, experiments that create life were canon in 1E and 2E, so it may be possible for Liminals to spring from someone's failed attempt to introduce life into a golem or whip themselves up a new batch of djala.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Dodge Charms posted:

Giving you the benefit of the doubt on 2/3 and 5/6, I still need nine more.

So, is there a particular reason you need fifteen distinct ones?

I mean, really, you only need enough interesting backstories for the number of players you have, right?

If one guy was deliberately created by some people who wanted a Shadowland sheriff, and one guy was deliberately created because the Bronze Faction needs the password for some DOOM MANSE built in the First Age so they dig up Kal Bax's preserved corpse to make a Liminal, isn't that ok?

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Dodge Charms posted:

Can Liminals testify in Celestial court?

I don't see any reason it wouldn't work if you could somehow get your hands on the corpse of a First Age Solar. ('We need to know the EXACT wording of the deal the Neverborn made with Larquen Quen before he became the Mask of Winters!' 'What's the password to your doom manse?!' 'Where did you hide all your tomes on Solar Circle Sorcery!', etc.)

Can they testify? I don't know. Maybe? I think there's something about the breaking of the Mask also destroying all evidence that the Sidereals were involved in the Usurpation, though. So at that point it becomes, 'I say they were in on it!' 'We say we weren't!'

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Flavivirus posted:

Pretty sure the preview says that the new Liminal is in no way the person who originally owned the organs and limbs that make them up. They don't inherit any memories, personality traits or what have you. Still, I could see someone trying to bring a dead person back for their secrets and being very disappointed in the result.

(Also, here's another origin - someone suffers brain death, is in a permanent coma, doctors try more and more experimental treatments until one's out-there enough to create a Liminal).

The preview seems to imply that this is not the case.

Liminals Preview posted:

You don’t know who you are. As you realize this, memories rise up to present themselves. But they’re not your memories — you know that immediately. There’s no sense of ownership or identification. It’s like remembering a character you read about in a book, or heard about in a story. Perhaps it’s only one set of memories. Perhaps it’s several, jumbles of lives and events haphazardly stitched together. Maybe these secondhand memories are enough to tell you where you are.

How fragmented a new Liminal's memories are and what they retain is definitely in question, though.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Flavivirus posted:

Ah, sorry. I guess I was getting confused with Promethean. No idea why :rolleyes:

TBF, I think you're mostly right. They don't inherit personality traits or anything else, but reviving the corpse of a First Age Solar to try to glean information from their memories is something that, let's say my Sidereal players, are just dumb enough to try.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

Look man I just want to read more posts about why Homestuck is more epic than Gilgamesh. Is that so wrong?

Not just Gilgamesh, but every story of myth ever told!

But, every time I work up some sympathy for the Exalted writers because of the poo poo they clearly have to put up with, they go and do something stupid too.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Capfalcon posted:

So, was Breeding a merit that gave you access to higher essences? Like you had to have breeding 3 to be able to get essence 3 or whatever? If so, I know RPGs are kind of rife with the awesome now/suck later and suck now/awesome later character growth plans, but that's... a really impressively bad design decision.

It gave you bigger essence pools. If you don't know Exalted very well, think of it as having more MP in a JRPG - only MP is also your health bar.

It also allowed you access to certain powers with the Purity Keyword.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Heart Attacks posted:

Morke thought it was a good idea to turn the Unconquered Sun into a raid boss, complete with transformation sequence into Ultimate Boss Form (which was simultaneously not a fun idea and not well-executed mechanically.)

Glories also contained the bit where the USC was Jesus/Aslan/Captain America who pretty much won the Primordial War single-handedly by beating all the Primordials at once at the Games of Divinity because he's just so awesome.

It also gave the Maidens time travel and had Lunar Spousal Abuse, the Charm Tree.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

On the other hand, we also had Shards of the Exalted Dream, Compass: Autochthonia, and all the work they did getting Exalted 2E to be semi-playable. So, you know, it wasn't rape-ghosts all the way down.

Glories was the last book for 2E I read and it convinced me to stop reading Exalted.

Who did the DB errata? I remember when it hit I wanted to run a game, and found it to be pretty poo poo.

I mean, someone looked at the Primordial sub-soul possession Charm in the Bureaucracy tree and was like, 'awwwww yeah, this is a good idea'. Not to mention the whole, 'Guess what, you have Charms that don't even work unless you're in the presence of your august Celestial masters!' (I remember Holden bragging about the Defense-Against-Anathema Charm being changed to do that, but not if he actually did it.)

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

Were the Dragonblooded seriously better pre-Errata? With that one integrity charm that was basically save-or-die sans the save, and the charm that turns water into a mild intoxicant (and that was pretty much it)?

That's not exactly what I meant. Dragon-Blooded were indeed terrible pre-errata.

It's just that there's some seriously glaring WTF'ery with the errata. Like Primordial sub-soul possession Charms, 'this charm doesn't work properly unless you're in the presence of your proper masters, because you aren't a real Exalt' Charms, 'spend essence and roll to do a thing you you should be able to do without magic' Charms, and 'this is pretty much an Excellency with a different name' Charms.

Lymond posted:

Nephilpal did Ten Thousand Correct Actions. He also did the DB "nuke a city in 10 seconds flat" Charm for Dreams of the First Age. Much as I like the man, I find a lot of his work to be extremely questionable bad.

Ah, thanks.

GreenMetalSun fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 7, 2013

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

Not to keep throwing Nephilpal under the bus over and over again, I still think that DBs were better post Thousand Correct Actions than prior to it. It seems that there wasn't really any of the wonkiness in Defense From Anathema method that Green Metal Sun mentioned though. It was just expanded to work on both Celestial Exalted and Creatures of Darkness.

It's.... right there in the Charm description.

DB Errata posted:

The Terrestrial’s Essence surges in response to the presence of the greater Chosen, bolstering his stolidity to make him immovable and inexorable: the perfect soldier. When using this Charm within (Essence x 100) yards of a Celestial Exalt, add the Terrestrial’s Essence to his DVs and MDVs.

GreenMetalSun fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 7, 2013

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

:stare: I think my copy is different from yours.

Well, here's the full text. I just went and re-downloaded it to be sure.

You Guys Are Not Even Real Exalted posted:

Defense-From-Anathema Method
(p. 146)
Cost: 5m, 1wp
Keywords: Combo-OK, Leader 5, Native
In the First Age, this Charm was known as Dragon’s Parable Defense. It gained its modern name only when it was turned to the task of hunting the Celestial Exalted.
Replace the text of this Charm with the following:
Gaia ordered that the Dragon-Blooded should be the perfect army for the Celestial Host. This Charm gets power from this unique relationship between Terrestrial and Celestial Exalted. The Terrestrial’s Essence surges in response to the presence of the greater Chosen, bolstering his stolidity to make him immovable and inexorable: the perfect soldier. When using this Charm within (Essence x 100) yards of a Celestial Exalt, add the Terrestrial’s Essence to his DVs and MDVs. The bonuses garnered from Defense-From-Anathema Method apply to all attacks the character experiences, regardless of their source, so long as the Charm remains in effect.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Denim Avenger posted:

Defense Against Anathema Method was a charm that really should have never existed, but it was written anyway and when making Errata they were stuck with it, so the eventual fix that it was suppose to be "Dragon-Blooded are better when working with Celestials" always struck me as a clever way to fix it. It wasn't a perfect solution, but it was a move towards helping Dragon-Blooded be relevant in Mixed Caste games/

The original intent or game balance or canonical issues with the Charm aren't really my point. There are literally dozens of other Charms they swapped out or re-wrote completely.

My point is that, 'you, as a PC, can spend XP on a power that literally does nothing unless you're being a servant to a more important type of PC', is something that Holden both bragged about and praised as good game design. People are talking about the writer's current track record, and that's part of it.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Holy poo poo. That picture is amazeballs.

Bonus points for her being fully dressed, too. Man, I don't even give a crap if she looks like Dorthy Gale.

I hope all the art is like this.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Hey, did they ever explain/apologize for that whole rape Charms/fake apology/'we're sorry you were offended' thing?

I mean, I ultimately cancelled my pledge over it. I want to invest in 3E, but not so much if it's going to be gross.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
My biggest disappointment is that this whole debacle has made me realize how toxic the majority of the fanbase actually is.

Well, actually. It's probably better to know sooner than later.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Stephenls posted:

So looking forward to this being out so people can judge it on content.

Don't want to get all 'Holden victim-blamey', but if you guys were going to get all butthurt about people thinking your game will have creepy, juvenile rape poo poo in it, why do a content preview full of creepy, juvenile rape poo poo?

(Totes rhetorical. I know the answer to that question.)

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

Consider that they might have heard this second or thirdhand from some moron with an axe to grind and honestly don't realize how far the (most commonly visible) fan perception of the game has drifted from the game, though.

Sidereals, even very young ones, are obviously busy people and even a few seconds of their free time is extremely valuable. The thing is,

The actual text is loving terrible at conveying this. Hopefully 3E will be better at showing this with that dude who's pissed he got friendzoned and Lunars building new Looms of Fate and poo poo, but I'm skeptical.

Exalted (especially 2E) has extremely bad power creep, and it's worse for Sidereals who after a certain point all become invincible murder monsters because their only worthwhile charmset is Martial Arts.

There's actually fiction in the game where elder Sidereals (one of whom is, you know, Kejak) casually chat about how they go around murdering new Exalts just to assess their fighting styles. Like, that is something they paid a person to write, and artist to make art for, an editor to lay out, and a publisher to print in the book because it was content they thought conveyed the tone of the game and was important. If they really were going to have a problem with people worrying about Sidereals teleport dropping them out of nowhere and didn't want players to think that would happen, maaaaaaybe they shouldn't have written about Sidereals doing it?

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

Which book was this?

1E Dragon-Blooded, page 155.

Ferrinus posted:

Okay, now ask yourself how that fiction came to be there and we'll have come full circle.

It was in there long before the fans got their hands on the game. It's a very, very poor choice for chapter fiction (see also the fiction where a guy talks about mote economy and turn order and combos), but it's not a case of fanon becoming canon.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

Have you got its actual text anywhere? I don't remember something so overt in the first Dragon-Blooded book. (Mote economy and combos were very much real things, though; you can find Grabowski writing on the topic if you dig around)

My suspicion is that that fiction's totally fine and merely looks like its' at odds with the game, because in actuality it's impossible for the Sidereals to catch more than a handful of fresh Exalts and the whole point is that when you make a character it's one who's already been stably Exalted for years, etc. If someone looks at it without actually taking the rest of the game into account, though, they'd acquire a warped impression of the setting that can most easily be corrected by, well, correcting it.

Not where it can be easily copied/pasted, but that's the point. Sidereals are busy people with a huge array of challenges facing them and they really can't take time off to scour the world for starting characters and insta-gib them. But then the books play up the Bronze/Gold rivalry as this hugely important thing (in Cult of the Illuminated it even notes that Gold Faction Sidereals will gladly hunt down and murder Solars who won't get on board with their planned golden age), don't have an especially good outline of what Sidereals are supposed to be doing, and have fiction about them going out and murdering young Exalts to compare fighting styles. Like, my sympathy for the writers shrieking 'you're doing it wroooooooooong' at the fandom and declaring people their 'enemies' is pretty low.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

I have no reason to doubt that the specific stories Lea told about newly-hired freelancers either incidentally or deliberately searing their misconceptions into canon happened.

Okay, but isn't Lea the one who gave us the Three Sphere Cataclysm's 90% figure and Dreams of First Age (which was pretty terrible)?

...either way, trying to police the fandom is still loving stupid and a waste of time.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Is... that the transdude on the cover, moaning sexually and showing us some sweet sideboob? Like, it's the same hair and the same belt thing the cover character has?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Seriously, the formatting bothers me way more than the lovely art. I mean, I was kind of expecting it to be various shades of not great, but come on.

The book went through something like nine passes of layout.

• Locked thread