Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

2. The phrase "Martial Arts" being used to describe both an Ability (which is sometimes used to perform martial arts, but also sometimes used not to perform martial arts) and a type of Merit, and a type of "Technique", and a type of Charm

I still have it in my plans to make some sort of Sidereal Martial Art with two branches, one that requires that you have Martial Arts Charms but no dots in Martial Arts, and the other that requires that you have dots in Martial Arts but no Martial Arts Charms. Or something like that, anyway.

The capstone (which requires both branches) makes you simultaneously a martial artist and not a martial artist, letting you flip from "in combat" to "uninvolved bystander" and back from round to round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Bigup DJ posted:

I always got him mixed up with Adam Warren. Warren was cool too when he wasn't drawing the exact same character over and over again - the covers of RoGD I & II were great.

The way to know Adam Warren art is to look for the fish lips everywhere.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

cenotaph posted:

Not really because if two people have that charm you have to have a system to determine the winner of a contest (which would probably just default to a ride roll) which creates a boring arms race.

If you're at the point where two Exalts whose horses are the fastest are chasing each other, going to an Essence + Ride roll off to find out whose horse is the fastestest is still a lot easier than messing about with exact movement speeds.

Ithle01 posted:

They're also absolutely horrible to use without figurines and a map. Nothing like having to stop and do some trigonometry in the middle of a fight to figure out where each of the five combatants are positioned relative to each other.

Zone-based combat like Starblazer Adventures or a range number line like Diaspora would make me really happy, but I'm not that optimistic about it.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 29, 2014

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

cenotaph posted:

But really Ride is a garbage skill when compared to things as encompassing as War, Occult or even Bureaucracy. I think it was the Diaspora guys that, when determining their skill list, asked it would be an interesting skill to have at the top of the pyramid. I think that's a good way to look at it when you have a defined list of skill, especially a relatively short one. Usually "awesome horseman" is mentioned after Warlord, Conqueror, Statesman, Sorcerer or what have you.

If Sail, Ride, and Survival were combined into Wayfaring it would at least be a good central place for Odysseus/Aragorn/Tintin††/Dora the Explorer†††/Pi Patel/Lemuel Gulliver††††/Dante flavor without being diluted by Charms being picky about the exact manner in which you're traveling, navigating, and living off the land.

† Well, he was actually kind of terrible at wayfaring, but I guess we can just blame that on the gods screwing with his rolls all the time.
†† Seriously, that guy can just fly a plane like it ain't no thing? I thought he was supposed to be a reporter!
††† That map is at least an Artifact 1 to keep changing all the time.
†††† That reminds me, Lilliput would make for a cool Wyld-tainted land in the West.

But the writers decided to keep the same skills from 2e (except make them worse with the stupid Brawl/Martial Arts thing) so :saddowns:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
My first thought on seeing this wasn't 'Artifacts that actually have stuff that matters, cool', it was 'Jesus Christ, characters must have a bajillion Charms now to want to even think about spending ten of them on an Artifact'.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

mistaya posted:

Can I just say that I vastly prefer having sword skills be on the sword like this rather than last edition: "300 types of martial arts some tiny number of which can be used with swords" clusterfuck?

Actually, Martial Arts styles are still a thing (though some will not actually require the Martial Arts ability, and there will also be Brawl Charms that will use the Martial Arts ability, which will be referred to as Brawl if you have only Brawl Charms and no Martial Arts Charms, and there will also be Martial Arts techniques that are not Charms that may or may not refer to the ability as either Martial Arts or Brawl).

Ferrinus posted:

a rule where you literally have to decide whether you have a Brawl rating or a Martial Arts rating, or divide a single pool of dots up among both skills, or something

:stare:

Bedlamdan posted:

They're totally separate. From what I remember you can have Brawl and Martial Arts at the same time.

:stonk:

theironjef posted:

It really seems like this evocation model is going to heavily favor players carrying one sword, one suit of armor, and so on with whatever has evocations. Did you want to wield two one-handed swords and sometimes get a bow out? Great, pick from between 50 and 60 new evocation effects! And split your progression currency amongst them!

Kai Tave posted:

but holy poo poo that chart looks like a parody of someone's Exalted homebrew.

It also makes me think about power balance. If a Solar and a Dragon-Blooded have access to the same Evocation Charms, it'll potentially have the same problem as MA style power levels in 2e.

KittyEmpress posted:

Any chance 3e is gonna turn down the creepy sex charms and abilities? I haven't followed it at all, due to the bad experience sort of turning me off the game completely.

One of the first previews was for some Abyssal seduction and/or spooky ghost rape Charms.

Kai Tave posted:

This is something I've noticed throughout the mechanical snippets and preview stuff that we have seen so far, running all the way from rapeghosts to Bigger Dog Methodology, which is that the people writing this stuff seem really, really married to specifics...this charm about obsession only works with sex, this charm right here makes your familiar bigger in 20% increments, etc...rather than leaving things more open-ended which seems like it would be a vast improvement.

It makes me think of Exalted's initial desire to be a tabletop card game with Charms as your cards, except that having My Dog Is Bigger Than Your Dog Prana that gives Dog creatures you control +1/+1 doesn't really work without having 59 other mechanically interacting pieces you can use to make your Dog creatures actually matter.

Also it would be pretty funny to try and get, like, Chirality Prohibition Index edited to fit on a Magic-sized card.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 9, 2014

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

We have gotten information! For instance, it turns out that capital-eff Flaws, of the "No Phone" variety, are going to be in Exalted 3rd edition after all. I'm sure you're all as excited as I am!

Well, I'll just be over here playing my callous deep sleeper dyslexic kleptomaniac low pain threshold solipsist terminally ill Solar, Mister No Fun Guy. :smugbert:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Ithle01 posted:

So basically we're all just agreeing that the release schedule on the OPP website is terrible and the whole idea of it should be scrapped? Okay.

Pretty much.

It should just have a list of in-progress books by product line or something.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Bardlebee posted:

I'm sure there is a reason, but I don't know why they don't already know what we selected. It's kind of weird.

The answer to this is basically "Kickstarter is dumb and awful in a bunch of ways".

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
More Charm previews.

quote:

All-Seeing Master Procurer
Cost: 5m; Mins: Bureaucracy 4, Essence 1; Type: Reflexive Keywords: None
Duration: One scene
Prerequisite Charms: Consumer-Evaluating Glance

Through use of this Charm the Solar broadcasts her ability to evaluate and fence any good, and to estimate the viability of any good or service in any market. This Charm makes characters naturally assume the Solar is a master merchant, someone who should be approached in order to receive the best deal or gain information about any certain product. This Charm does not confer knowledge of any good the Solar is unfamiliar with, but it does allow her to reflexively employ Insightful Buyer Technique for one mote, in order to speculate on the value of goods in local or foreign markets, even those that may not even be physically present.

Subject-Hailing Ideology
Cost: 5m; Mins: Bureaucracy 5, Essence 4; Type: Supplemental
Keywords: None Duration: Instant
Prerequisite Charms: Eclectic Verbiage of Law

The Lawgiver gains power through knowledge of the roles and identities of others. This Charm supplements any social influence that appeals to an Intimacy the Solar is aware of, at a former intensity, so long as the social influence is intended to make the subject act in some official capacity. For example, the Lawgiver could attempt to persuade her bodyguard-turned-assassin to put down his weapon, invoking an Intimacy of loyalty he once held but holds no longer. She could convince an ex-spouse to act in some capacity as if they were still married. She could even make a once-loyal member of her organization remember his role and even make him wish to return to his former position. However, she could not use this Charm to convince two enemies who have become lovers to remember their hate for one another. The Charm only functions if there is some relevant official capacity being invoked. Thus the subject is hailed into a former role.

Clever Bandit’s Rook
Cost: 2m; Mins: Larceny 3, Essence 1; Type: Supplemental
Keywords: None
Duration: Instant
Prerequisite Charms: Seasoned Criminal Method

A master of the sublime, the Lawgiver hooks a mark with her charisma and genuine seeming. When used, this Charm supplements an instill action to make a person believe an object or structure belongs to the Exalt. This Charm cannot force an assertion on someone that directly contradicts what they know. However, a character who does not know the truth cannot benefit from any Intimacies that would bolster their Resolve against the attempt. A character may not spend Willpower to contradict this belief unless they see direct evidence to the contrary.

Penumbra Self Meditation
Cost: 3m per Intimacy; Mins: Socialize 5, Essence 2; Type: Simple
Keywords: Stackable
Duration: Indefinite
Prerequisite Charms: Guarded Thoughts Meditation

Through concentration and practice, the Solar sheds a piece of her soul into the lightless blaze of her anima, dimming it. From that point onward, no read intentions action can uncover it. The Solar must meditate for an hour in order to bury a single Intimacy in this fashion. The Solar may eclipse as many Intimacies as she can afford to hide. Note that this Charm does not make it impossible to notice a Solar’s overt tendencies—her Intimacies can still be revealed through her own actions.

Angle-Tracing Edge
Cost: 3m; Mins: Thrown 5, Essence 2; Type: Supplemental
Keywords: Uniform
Duration: Instant
Prerequisite Charms: Observer-Deceiving Attack

The Solar perceives the angle of her enemy’s attacks as broken arcs of faintly glowing Essence, and uses them to guide her own. Through the use of this Charm, the Exalt completely removes all cover benefits from a target, banking her weapon off of walls and other solid surfaces to make near-impossible attacks. If Angle-Tracing Edge is used against a target in full cover, unless deemed completely impossible by the Storyteller, her attack finds its mark, but is made as if she had attacked from long distance.

All-Seeing Master Procurer makes me wonder "okay, but where's the Willpower cost to ignore/see through it?", though I imagine that could mostly be an aspect of the phrasing "makes characters think" rather than the Charm being written in a way that just makes it obvious (or Obvious) to any onlookers that there's somebody with Bureaucracy 4+ tromping around through their little market.

Actually, a couple of the charms feel phrased kind of awkwardly in general, like with Angle-Tracing Edge's last sentence.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Mendrian posted:

At least, I hope that's what he means. I think the real problem is that (as you correctly point out in the red-fist example) so much of Exalted's fluff is just meaningless gobbledygook that there's no practical application for it. I "step between heartbeats", so what?

There's also the secondary problem of it training people to automatically filter out the fluff that doesn't matter, leading to problems with stuff like Sidereal Charms where people look at the Charm where you plant a Christmas tree, filter out the fluff about planting a Christmas tree, and then wonder what the poo poo it does because they don't realize it means literally planting a Christmas tree.

Stephenls posted:

If you want to see a Charm set where flavor and mechanics are rigorously separated, check out Lunars 2e. Like half the Charms in there go "Lunars are awesome in some way, like some kind of animal. [Mechanics go here.]" It is one of the blandest sets in the game. We don't want more sets looking like that.

You know a bunch of the Infernals Charms do this, right?

Roadie fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 24, 2014

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Mendrian posted:

I agree with that! That's precisely what I mean when I say the rest should be excised. Or see my previous, "I step between heartbeats", so what? statement. Basically if a player can't use the information it shouldn't be in the Charm at all. I like that a lot of the new social Charms have non-mechanical bits that are still pretty useful ("everybody knows you are the guy for selling horses). A reduction in 'pure' fluff would be much appreciated though, particularly when, "the Solar meditates on X..." or "the Solar's mastery of Y..." or "Z knows its master" probably take up substantial word count in my Exalted books.

I'll second this.

Like with those Sample Charms - in Subject-Hailing Ideology, the "The Lawgiver gains power through knowledge of the roles and identities of others." sentence. That's... what? What's the point of that sentence? What the Charm actually does is in the next sentence anyway.

I think the one that stands out most to me for questionable fluff is the "Through concentration and practice, the Solar sheds a piece of her soul into the lightless blaze of her anima, dimming it." sentence, since that implies all kinds of rules questions if somebody actually reads it literally ("can I use this is my anima is lit instead of... uh... lightless?"), and as I've already mentioned training people to not read fluff like that literally runs into problem with stuff like Sidereal Charms when wacky poo poo happens that people are meant to read completely literally ("yes, you literally pull bridle and reins out of thin air and stick them on the guy's head").

The other issue I have (as already mentioned) is the Charms being written in a way that feels kind of stilted and needing some minor editing for rules and intent clarity, but that's a problem more of whoever's writing these not running them past an editor before sticking them in the Kickstarter email.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 24, 2014

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Trust me, I wanted to do a functional warstrider build, but it just doesn't exist. :(

The better way is just to take a suit of power armor, and basically get most of the advantages minus all the drawbacks, slot in your favorite broken hearthstones and go!

Don't be silly.

Get a five-dot manse with the indestructible and mobile powers and pilot it into battle.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So the signs are that Ex3 will keep exponential XP costs or have something equally annoying.

:(

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

viewtyjoe posted:

This is about spot on at this point. The team burned up a ton of goodwill during the kickstarter, and the absolute refusal to release any mechanical details ahead of the game's release, especially when contrasted against the openness of other authors with the publisher, cost even more. I honestly won't be surprised when 3e gets a pile of scathing reviews because we were promised the moon and the stars while the designers still live in a space where having things have different costs from chargen to actual play is a good idea. For every hint of innovation, we get as much legacy mechanics that are hated.

I still look forward to making a Martial Arts style that has two branches: one requiring that you have no Martial Arts (dots) but that you have Martial Arts (Charms), one requiring that you have Martial Arts (dots) but that you have no Martial Arts (Charms).

The capstone lets you be a Martial Artist and not be a Martial Artist at the same time, acting as an esoteric defense and surprise enabler from flipping you in and out of combat repeatedly.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Down With People posted:

I'm gonna call it now; there will still be two separate punch-a-man abilities when the corebook is finally released.

A later supplement will introduce rules hacks to fix this. None of them will suggest consolidating the two abilities.

The thing that annoys me second most (after Brawl/Martial Arts) is Dodge remaining a separate ability and having two dozen Charms that are almost all purely combat defensive, while Resistance keeps a mix of combat defenses, equipment-summoning utility, non-combat defenses, and Battle Fury Focus and Bloodthirsty Sword-Dancer Spirit.

The thing that annoys me third most is that they're keeping the "only usable with other Charms of the same Ability unless otherwise noted" thing for Supplementals that directly gets in the way of the "Charms can do things beyond just the exact literal expression of their Ability" thing that the Charms have here and there (such as Battle Fury Focus).

The thing that annoys me fourth most is that there's still Sail as a separate ability and it has almost 40 Charms (a bunch of which just give small ship Speed increases) for whatever tiny minority of characters will ever buy a boat. At least there's nothing in Ride that assumes a specific type or mundanity of mount (except for Phantom Steed specifically generating a war horse and having no option for, say, a giant riding fish or something for Western characters).

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Civilizations cling to rivers.

Campaigns don't.

Dammit Who? posted:

Since one of the fightin' Charms in the leak gets you into "aerial combat" and something to do with air pirates or something like that, I suspect that kind of thing already exists in 3e.

The problem with that a bunch of the Charms explicitly assume a boat on water even if you ignore the fluff text, and if you treat the fluff text as actually a literal part of how the Charm works rather than space-filling boilerplate†, a chunk of the remainder only work when on water. For example, Tide­-Cutting Essence Infusion's actual mechanical effect is "The ship’s speed is increased by one for the Charm’s duration.", but that's preceded by a 22-word sentence telling you that it works because your anima helps the ship cut through the water††.

† I consider this an excellent example of why putting space-filling boilerplate fluff text into every Charm is a bad idea. It just trains people to ignore the first sentence or first few sentences and then they get confused as hell by Sidereals requiring you to actual take it literally for it to make any sense.

†† And... what, does that mean my anima is lit the entire time the Charm is turned on? It would be confusing as hell if I didn't already know the "ignore the first sentence of every non-Sidereal Charm" precedent.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Plague of Hats posted:

While that might be a boring Charm for a usually boring and definitely infrequent problem, I find it super hard to sympathize with your implicit desire for a horse dress-up minigame to justify solving a problem that would exist even without the Charm being the first place it comes up. This is absolutely not a case of air-breathing mermaids.

It would be a lot better just to have generic rules for "putting armor on a creature of size X" instead of having horse dress-up minigames separate from human dress-up minigames.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Crafting seems to be one of the systems with which you can generate free Merits in play. They're probably going to charge you BP to start with extra Merits in chargen.

Note to self: make a Twilight with a Motivation of "make Perfected Boots for everyone in Creation".

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

ErichZahn posted:

They like the old crutches.

Also, it's Monk Seducing Demon Dance now.

:suicide:

"The Solar moves sensually through the eight steps of silken ecstasy, provoking her spellbound audience. This is dance lasting three minutes, ending in an Appearance + Performance roll with (Essence) bonus dice against the group’s Resolve. If successful, it inspires intense lust for the Exalt. Success guarantees that characters who are sexually attracted to the Lawgiver will attempt to seduce her. Characters who are not sexually compatible with the Solar instead experience strong admiration for her, and will be inspired to speak with her at least once."

I really don't get here why these Charms have to be so specific. Why do I need to dance (and to dance for exactly three minutes, at that) to make people like me? There's even a somewhat air-breathing mermaid Charm (Penultimate Unity of Form) to allow cross-application of the different too-specific Performance subsets.

Also, technically Penultimate Unity of Form could be used with Celestial Bliss Trick to "unleash a torrent of unimaginable ecstasy" via oratory, music, dance, or song, which I find pretty funny.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 17, 2014

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

theironjef posted:

Even with it, how hard is it to make a character that defines sex as arguing with royalty ("gently caress your narrow definition of sex, you prudes. It's more than penis in vagina"), then just use this dumb thing to get Essence autosuccesses every action during a general social combat? Is that something that would be overpowered without the whole sex-nonsense rider? I genuinely don't know.

That's literally exactly what Penultimate Unity of Form does.

It still causes orgasms, I guess, but you could have it be from a really good performance of "Stairway to Heaven" instead of loving.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So I was looking at the map and wondering, "how the hell do people get to Western islands in Bronze Age ships?"

So I did some crude copying and pasting and clone stamping.

It seems like something like this would give some actual sailing routes to the islands and from there to the Caul, and then you can chop off the left-hand part of the map past the Caul and most of the "giant empty ocean" aesthetic of the original map is gone.

But then that's just me, I dunno.

Thanatosian posted:

I am... strongly inclined to agree with you on this.

Ride & Sail could be combined; so could Occult & Lore. Get rid of Socialize & Linguistics entirely (additional languages could just be a merit). You could probably combine Medicine & Survival, too. At least talk about combining Investigation & Awareness, and Thrown & Archery. Probably Athletics & Dodge, too.

There's probably an argument for Resistance & Integrity getting combined, too, but that gets a little alltribute-y (though, I guess Lore/Occult and Athletics/Dodge probably has the same issue).

I would combine Ride and Sail with Survival and make it Wayfaring, including all general travel and foraging stuff under it and helping make it more distinct than sort of the sideways Resistance specialty Survival is used as half the time.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 18, 2014

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Thanatosian posted:

That is a way better idea.

I think my ideal arrangement would be something like:

Dawn: Melee, Ranged, War

War is 2e War + a little of 2e Performance + a little of 2e Bureaucracy.
Melee is 2e Melee + 2e Martial Arts.
Ranged is 2e Archery + 2e Thrown.

Zenith: Presence, Resistance, Resolve

Presence is 2e Presence + 2e Performance, but with some stuff poached out of it for War and Socialize.
Resistance is 2e Resistance + a little of 2e Survival and some of the defensive Martial Arts Charms.
Resolve is Integrity with a new name and more active implications (e.g. Resolve Charms can give you bonuses to skills under certain situations or whatever).

Twilight: Craft, Medicine, Lore

Craft gets 2e Craft plus all the Wyld shaping stuff from 2e Lore.
Lore is 2e Lore + 2e Occult, because in setting those are the same drat thing.
Medicine is 2e Medicine, but with some stuff from Awareness, Investigation, and Survival poached for it.

Night: Athletics, Awareness, Subterfuge

Athletics is 2e Athletics + 2e Dodge.
Awareness is 2e Investigation + 2e Awareness.
Subterfuge is 2e Larceny + 2e Stealth.

Eclipse: Bureaucracy, Socialize, Wayfaring

Bureaucracy is 2e Bureaucracy + some of 2e Linguistics.
Socialize is 2e Socialize + some of 2e Linguistics + a little of 2e Presence/Performance.
Wayfaring is 2e Ride + 2e Sail + 2e Survival.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 18, 2014

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Stephenls posted:

I'd actually argue that Ride, Sail, and Survival should be shuffled around into Wayfare, Pilot, and Husbandry, with Wayfare covering long-distance journeys and the logistics of such, survival in the wilderness, travel times, etc.; Pilot covering vehicle use of all kinds; and Husbandry covering familiars and riding and also e.g. farming and training hunting dogs or monsters or whatever. This is a bad idea because Husbandry is a stupid name for a skill and try as I might I have never ever been able to think of a better one. (Animal Ken, lol.)

I can see an everything-to-do-with-animals-in-one-skill skill, especially if that also gives thematic space for Charms related to mastering behemoths and other weird stuff that would otherwise get pigeonholed into Lore or Occult.

The point of merging Ride and Sail, though, is so that the person who takes RideSail Charms can use them on boats when on the water and giant battle hamsters when on land and never feel like they wasted a shitload of XP because the game took a hard left turn into the desert and the GM won't give any flying ships.

Stephenls posted:

(Bit late to implement.)

Hey, now, I offered the same rough outline of skill consolidation literally years ago on the WW forums. It's not my fault you didn't all bow down before my genius.

Stephenls posted:

Also that map adjustment is good but the arc of the islands needs to move just a smidgen north (and maybe a bit east) so that there's a nice arc drawn from the westernmost tip of the penninsular North, across the easternmost edge of the Coral protectorates, down the Neck and Wavecrest, the southernmost tip of which would end up pointing at that island cluster where Bluehaven hangs out.

I was thinking of it pointing to the Caul so then you can have secret approaches to it from the islands, with spooky Lunar mystery weather getting in the way of direct approaches from the mainland. That way any Realmites have to go a bajillion miles to try and get there by conventional routes but experienced Lunars can just turn into long-distance sea birds and fly straight east.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 18, 2014

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

I haven't looked at them all, but from what I hear the Sail charms are really good. Many of them work on your behalf just by dint of you having a ship back at the docks, or having woken up on a ship that morning, or whatever - there's been a serious, earnest effort made to ensure that a Sail-invested Exalt doesn't get screwed on land, to the extent that a friend of mine who's seen the tree is excited about playing a pirate captain once the full game's actually out.

Mendrian posted:

I had heard the opposite, that some Charms required actual ship stuff to take place and only a handful were applicable out of the water.

The net result is still sort of weird though. "I take Sail to be a pirate, even on land" is a cool use of a lovely ability that really ought not to be there in the first place. If I take stealth Charms do I get a sweet gi because that's a thing a ninja would have?

To my eyes 7 of the 39 Sail Charms are useful when off a ship.
- a pseudo-Integrity/Athletics Charm
- a pseudo-Integrity Charm that requires you wake up on a ship on water (not an airship) to use it
- two pseudo-Survival Charms
- a pseudo-Awareness Charm
- two pseudo-War Charms

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

The system's filled with this stuff, and it's just lazy (which is weird, given the insane amount of work going into this project over all) to leave it to the Storyteller to police. The point of game mechanics is to support and incentivize in-character action, not to create a weird tension that fights against it.

It's possible to correct this stuff in part or in whole with hacky, specific house rules like "At the start of a scene, record your total motes; you can't regenerate up past that total, even in a fight" or "If you make a decisive attack against an enemy you haven't hit with at least one withering attack in the past three rounds, your decisive attack's damage is capped at whatever an equivalently successful withering attack would be" or whatever... but you shouldn't have any reason to want to do that.

I'm supposed to be getting ready to house rule the stupid chargen mechanics. The play mechanics were supposed to be good from the start.

Thinking about it, I wonder if it would be a better system to have motes as a static resource, like D&D 3.5's incarnum/essentia.

The core idea of it is that you get a certain number of essentia points, and every round you can choose how to divide it up between your set of powers. Each power gives you a base effect plus scaling bonuses and/or active abilities depending on how much essentia you've assigned to it that round. Your total number of essentia points doesn't change during a session (except for any buffs/debuffs that specifically target it), it's just a static value. There's even a sorta-equivalent of artifact attunement, with some magic items that you can put your essentia points into in the same way as the powers.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Make all sail charms applicable to surfboards.

Problem solved.

No, no, not surfboards, flying kiteboards like that bear kid on TaleSpin.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Stephenls posted:

There comes a point when you have to ask yourself, just how much design paradigm that one likes is one willing to throw out in pursuit of conceptual rigor?

Well, in my case I was really hoping the answer for Ex3 was "more than this", given my lasting complaints about Dodge, the uselessness of Sail in most games, all the problems that exponential XP costs incentivize, most martial arts and sorcery just not being worth it mechanically for a Solar to buy (except for demon summoning but that's because demon summoning can do everything under the sun for one or two spell purchases), etc.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

NiciasTSOF posted:

And sex is totally interchangeable with other things because...reasons? Giving someone an amazing pizza just isn't as intimate as sleeping with them.

But giving a really good speech can make them orgasm anyway!

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Plague of Hats posted:

Certainly John and Holden don't think that, and neither does Lea. But they are still the ones managing and putting together the whole thing, while I think Lea is avoiding reading drafts that aren't ready for final editing.

Having gotten hold of and gone through a lot of the leak, I think I can confidently say that the problem here is mostly that they're looking for a lot of stuff in the system that many people thought they wouldn't be when they said "we're going to simplify and streamline." Like with the BP/XP thing. What most people think on the subject doesn't even begin to come from the same place as Holden's thoughts on it.

Even just the "you can only use Supplementals with other Charms of the same Ability" rule still being in there is all kinds of annoying in a "why even have that?" kind of way.

It feels like there was no real reflection on any of the miscellaneous rules baggage beyond the specific set of subsystems the devs decided to revise, starting with the absolute determination to use the same 25 Abilities as 2e, instead of thinking through the implications of stuff like trying to make Dodge worth actually taking as your primary defensive Ability compared to Resistance (which gives you combat defense plus combat offense plus all that other stuff).

Well, actually, they did think about the Abilities... and decide to make them even more redundant by having Brawl and Martial Arts have separate dot ratings.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 20, 2014

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

But where would the game be if you couldn't have separate yet 90% interchangeable ratings in Convince People Real Good By Being Like Aladdin and Convince People Real Good By Being Like Jafar?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Stephenls posted:

At this point I'd like to say something like "Then you should be reassured that the first playtest packet Dodge Charms looked way different, and a lot more like Craft does now," but I can't because I haven't bothered to read the leaked Craft material (it's just gonna change before I have to edit it) and also i don't really remember what the first playtest packet Dodge stuff looked like. So. Shrug!

This is missing the greater point of "why is there even Dodge?", though.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Transient People posted:

The better question about dodge that I think merits an answer is this: Why is there still no Charm that lets you use it to make enemies kill themselves like they're videogame bosses hitting themselves? There's totally precedent for making Dodge have offensive functionalities. I think that'd give the charmset a breath of fresh air, and serve to *finally* distinguish it from Athletics and Melee/Brawl.

I still don't like Dodge as a separate thing, but having judo matador Charms and pretty much anything interesting out of the Setting Sun school from D&D 3.5's Tome of Battle would go a long way towards at least pretending to make it worth it.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Nessus posted:

I think Lowtax is broke but still has more money than Onyx Path

(Sorry guys)

Given how it's been mentioned the implications seem to me to be that OPP still has trouble paying its writers even after all the Kickstarters, I assume that printing and IP licensing costs must be such that their money safe actually contains opposite universe anti-dollars.

Edit: I don't have any proof for this, and apologize for phrasing it in a way that made it seem like I did.

(Also, not saying that OPP is bad if they do have tight finances... just that the RPG industry isn't much of a moneymaker at the best of times these days, especially once you count printing costs for fancy deluxe editions, and the rigamarole with having to license stuff from the rotting corpse of White Wolf can't be helping any.)

Roadie fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 27, 2014

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Nessus posted:

"Exalted 3E will actually be good and all the nasty stuff will get removed or retooled into non-nasty stuff, and the devs will learn to make points in straightforward declarative sentences instead of lengthy intellectuloid monologue. Also, Lunars will have the best designed Charm trees, and the Underworld will be amazing."

Now you're just being cruel. Why must you taunt us like this with this glimpse into the Exalted of some strange and wondrous Counter-Earth?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
What the Christ?

Now I've gone from feeling kind of ambiguous about having put money into the Exalted kickstarter to actively regretful.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Scanning the Onyx Path forums has allowed to learn that you are officially not allowed to discuss the contents of the leak on the Exalted forum itself. That must make for a really healthy and cool posting environment.

Same with the RPGNet forums.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

How do people feel about Supernal abilities? Right now I think they're a cool idea that has a 90% chance of not working well in practice due to them leading to CharOp shenanigans. Do people agree? Would Supernal only meaning (Essence+1) for prereqs in the chosen ability be better?

I'm not sure charop-wise, but it seems like it would exacerbate the "how do you challenge the combat guy without squashing the non-combat guys" problem.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Thesaurasaurus posted:

The sort of people who say that the Usurpation was impossible under 2.x mechanics, and therefore didn't happen, or who earnestly wonder why nobody's used the Creation-Slaying Oblivion Kick atop Mount Meru to kill everyone or turn the entire world population into ducks.

Thinking the game mechanics should at least in theory support the game's background and avoid obvious fridge logic "hang on, why didn't the 5,000-year-old super smart guy do this?" stuff isn't the same as thinking that the game should be a physics engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

ErichZahn posted:

I love the GMC social system and am sad they didn't loot it like Orks.

The level of insularity given all the neat improvements in the WoD stuff is just weird.

• Locked thread