Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Fightest posted:

This is going loving way over my head. Can someone, without referencing mid-20th Century philosophers, tell me what the differences are between a Lunar and a Solar beyond one can turn into a dinosaur and the other shines like the Sun?

viewtyjoe posted:

Alternatively, they aren't a blank slate in that Lunars have been around for all of the Second Age and have been, from the previews and hints we've gotten, actively fighting the Realm at its edges, and winning in enough situations to be relevant, so you have a plot architecture kind of set up already if you're running a Lunar game and don't want to do something else.

Yeah, this is one of the big differences: The Lunars survived the Usurpation. So while the Solars are True Heirs to the Throne, returning after years of exile to topple the usurpers etc, the Lunars organized and ran resistance movements* all through the Sidereal crackdown, the rise and fall of the Shogunate, and the establishment of the Realm.

*and since this is Exalted, a scrappy band of resistance fighters can easily be an entire nation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Ferrinus posted:

Perhaps Language should be a Story merit. After all, what if someone just smugly declares that they've picked up in a month something your character spent years of their childhood learning!

So, how exactly did you pick up that dot of melee, mister? I don't recall you spending years training to improve your proficiency with all weapons, like my character did in his backstory...?

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Whether or not "The Dragon-blooded's power thins with each generation" stays in as a setting thing, the Breeding background definitely needs to go. It was a bad idea as Generation, it's a bad idea here.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Lymond posted:

Also... one page of content? I'm a little underwhelmed.

It's not really surprising. Since they consider DBs to have been solid already, they're not going to have the huge design decisions that inventing (or reinventing) a whole splat does. The stuff they describe in the preview is probably all they're gonna need to actually do.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Chaotic Neutral posted:

It's the name that makes me laugh. I mean, seriously? Solar XP.

That's the temporary working name.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Chaotic Neutral posted:

Assuming you're a Solar, anyway. Has that actually been confirmed as a thing for everyone? The entire rest of the document doesn't refer exclusively to one type when it's talking about things for characters. (Unless it's Solar XP, I guess?)

If I recall correctly, the only splat where it's still up in the air w/r/t Excellencies is the Alchemicals. I assume it's because they can hotswap their Charms and that would get weird.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

The White Wolf forums have decided again that Asskicker Dorothy is terrible, and have also concluded that she loses all her powers if she ever leaves that field. I dunno if you guys have noticed this, but those are some stupid motherfuckers.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Ferrinus posted:

Hmm, you know, the Battle Group rules mean that optimal tactics in 3E creation is for each and every one of your soldiers to adapt a different hair style, outfit, weapon, etc. The key is for each soldier to differentiate themselves from their fellows enough that they cross the threshold that transforms them into a separate character rather than a member of the same aggregated battle group - that way you've got way more independent rolled attacks, willpower points, etc. on your side than theirs.

That tactic's been tried. With mixed results.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

I like the inlets and bays left by glaciation in the North. Since the Blessed Isle is supposed to be about the size of Russia, those things must have been massive and left thousands of little fjords that are too small to see on that map, such that the further you zoom in, the more any one piece of the Northern coast looks like all of the Northern coast.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Remember when this thread was scoffing and guffawing over the utter unimportance of the Bureaucracy stat? And now that Ferrinus has reminded everyone of Solar Supremacy being a setting conceit, suddenly it's vital (to people who openly dislike the splat) that actually Solars should only be Supreme Bureaucrats? Ah, good times.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

realbrickwall posted:

People keep saying 4e was great for giving everyone equal combat capabilities, but in my experience, making everyone a fighter means that the game is suddenly all about fighting.

That's because D&D is still basically a wargame, designed to adjudicate fantasy combat and not much else. People will tell you that you can use <some edition> of D&D to play a campaign of courtiers jockeying for power through whispers and lies or something like that, but those people are loving liars. Unless you use the same system for impugning someone's dress sense that you would have for crushing a goblin's skull with an axe, I suppose. That's a hell of a lot of reskinning work though

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Dodge Charms posted:

This thread seems to move like a reptile: brief spans of frantic activity interspersed among long periods of dormancy.

Where's the loving book Obama, I wanna tootle around an Earthsea archipelago waaaay off in the western ocean that doesnt even remember that there's any other place to live because their tiny boats can't make it that far

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

axelsoar posted:

That would be great, but I'll believe it when I see it. The only specifics relating to this that we have seen so far seem to be "numbers do not go past 5" and "we are scaling back charms", but without charms of their own, any mortal can be chumped with something as simple as first excellency, so call me skeptical on that.

Mortals are getting *something* like Charms, since one of the things about martial arts is that (lesser?) forms' techniques could be learned by anyone but they have additional effects that can be turned on by spending motes.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Speaking of Abyssals, I've noticed dev commentary that suggests (I could be reading too much certainty in because I think the idea's neat) they're changing how Deathlords work, so instead of being the Neverborn equivalent of Third Circle demons they're more like powerful, ancient ghosts, the kinds that have gone on Underworld quests to recover ancient artifacts and forge deathly kingdoms and other saga-building stuff like that.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

mistaya posted:

And that game even does evil-acid-spitting-babies and somehow pulls it off fairly well!

The first one did. The second one had three different kinds of baby monster. I can only assume the third one had a shocking twist where Isaac Clarke was a baby.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

I'm not super clear on what this image depicts, but I know that it belongs here:

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Covok posted:

I was the one in favor of Solars because, to me, they seemed like the "good guys" when I scrolled through the book. My friend chuckled a bit when I said that, but didn't explain why. Do you guys know?

Solars are heroes, not necessarily "good guys". Like Hercules, who slew Hydras and Nemean Lions all the live-long day and was probably a huge help to the people who were no longer in danger of being eaten by those things, but he also killed his wife and children in a delusional rage.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

quote:

I'm going to make this thread and I don't even care what some people will say in defending Exalted.

I've been a sort of fan of Exalted for a few years now, but I have never, ever been able to truly get into it. The fluff is top notch, really. It's very similar to a lot of MK's written works for TES. The system is great; playing an Exalted (from what I've seen) is quite a refreshing experience juxtaposed to the traditional RPG character.

I only have one big issue with it- it's so Eastern influenced that I can barely get into any of it at all. Especially with the art style and presentation of the different cultures (so many of the seem to be variations on Chinese or Japanese culture).

quote:

This is where I kind of want to argue a bit. Exalted also takes a generic and light-weight image of Asian culture. It's inspired by it, not an accurate representation. Actually, the individualism, upheaval and pure personal potential an Exalt embodies is something I personally find highly at odds with the Asian idea of obligation and family honour (disclaimer, I know very little of Asian culture).

The white wolf forums are truly a magical place.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Attorney at Funk posted:

Will somebody please think of the guy who doesn't 'get' nonwhite people? They're a consumer critically underserved by modern fantasy gaming!

Actually you'll find, if you read his thread, that modern fantasy gaming falls critically short of the True Representative Beauty of Merrie Englande, except for High Rock in the elder scrolls games. Don't YOU look a fool!

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Hey hey, new KS update with Charm text! I'm sincerely glad that the Exalted devs have given us the option to have a huge dog, or a regular-sized dog that can become huge. That's actually an important point in my current D&D4e game.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

mistaya posted:

Now I'm just seeing it as "Your familiar gets 10% fatter every repurchase" and you end up with one of those 50lb cats that get wheeled around in strollers on Youtube.

GISing for "fat pony" sucks a LOT now btw

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Ferrinus posted:

We have gotten information! For instance, it turns out that capital-eff Flaws, of the "No Phone" variety, are going to be in Exalted 3rd edition after all. I'm sure you're all as excited as I am!

Who wouldn't be excited about squeezing an extra Charm out of your Solar's irritable bowel syndrome?

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

I'm gonna assume they're not actually doing No Phone style Flaws, since Holden saying they "finally" figured out how to do Flaws means they spent some design time on it, and you don't come up with oWOD style flaws if you spend any amount of time on the system.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Because I kind of assumed that the charm still fundamentally works like it used to after seeing the familiar's version in Inflationary Corgi Methodology, and even if having extra hit points confers an excellent mechanical advantage under the new system, it's still strikes me as being the most boring thing I could possibly spend XP on.

Is that still basically how it works?

Seems kinda unlikely? People are saying that it's useful to buy, and if the momentum thing is as big a part of the combat system as they say, then just having more HP might not actually be all that good.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Ferrinus posted:

Flaws should give you some kind of expendable liquid resource when they tick, not XP.

Ideally, they wouldn't even give you something so valuable as willpower points or motes, or at least they'd give it to you in a limited way contingent on the flaw. Like if you're blind you get a refund when spending willpower on Awareness rolls to hear stuff, if you've only got one arm you can fight in so defensive a way that it's almost as though you've got the Shield tag.

I'd be wary of trying to build flaws that way, though. Seems like it'd be distressingly easy to fall into the trap where not only is it always better to have a flaw, it's always better to have a *specific* flaw for a specific build, so you get an endless stream of one-armed Dawns, insomniac Nights,

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

A couple posts from the "Ask a Playtester" thread over on WW:

quote:

Just as a general response to unasked questions, the biggest issues I have had in 3e are related to 2e. I get bits of stress going into combat as a left over from mental associations with 2e's combat. I under-plan, because while things were slow and painful in Ex2, the systems are so fast and smooth for 3e in comparison there is some 2e related chunk of my brain that tells me that fighting off a bunch of blood apes will take hours upon hours of time. So I don't always have enough material for when the players go off on a new derail direction.

quote:

I am in much the same boat with 2e. I will throw out a warning that the mechanics are quite different from 2e and 1e... one of the things I still have headaches with. They're not really like anything I've encountered before in any White Wolf/OPP/CPP/storyteller game.

Interestingly enough, I've found they are very easy for someone new to the game to pick up, it's just us poor existing fans that get to endure times when we go "wait, that's bloody stupid that would cause... oh wait... that other part of the game doesn't work anything like that anymore. Let's see... yea, okay that does actually make sense. Huh. That's a lot easier a way to deal with it"

Hummm, I'm going to make this same warning closer to the book dropping, but I will say it would be *highly* advantageous for any players of 1e or 2e to read the book when 3e drops, make some basic characters, and play them against each other before declaring something is broken/weird/ruined forever. Just from my own experience, the 2e rules and ways of thinking are like tar on the brain. They seep into every crevice of awareness around the game.

Since they're from a white wolf forums poster they should be taken with a grain of salt, but it's still pretty encouraging w/r/t combat being usable. The bit about the mechanics not really being like 1e/2e/Storyteller-in-general at all is interesting, I'm assuming he's referring to more advanced mechanics than the "assemble a dice pool based on your points in a stat + skill" bare metal stuff.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

quote:

This was easily made into a [REDACTED] as we went and it worked like a charm using a variation of the new grapple rules.

Cue twenty page thread arguing over whether this means "worked like a charm" or "worked like a Charm"

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Calde posted:

Also aren't Autochthon's city-states more like nationalist and fascist regimes with power residing in the elite ruling classes of the Tripartite and the various craftsmen guilds while all the workers basically have no say in how things are run? I didn't pay as close attention as I should have when a friend was statting out Jade Caste Karl Marx beside me while I tinkered with my Soulsteel Noir Detective, but I got the impression Autochthon has social class disparity, rich oligarchies and so on straight out of the USSR.

Autochthonia is a late capitalist society examined through a Marxist lens. You're right in noticing that the workers do not own the means of production, production is not done for human need, and their society certainly isn't classless - but you'll note that while the Tripartite are comparatively well-off they do not, themselves, own capital. In a setting like this there's a danger in having an overt capitalist class that one can just point adventuring parties at and say "kill these guys and let the rest sort itself out". Alchemicals has done something rather clever by abstracting the capitalist class almost entirely. While they may be worked by humans, the means of production are owned by Autochthon, the globalized and impersonal economic system that defines the lives of late capitalist workers.

(You get a hint to this with the Alchemicals themselves, since Exalted tend to become more like their patrons as they increase in Essence; Solars become god-kings, Infernals become Primordials, etc. Alchemicals begin as men, become materiel, and end up as economic systems!)

The Autochthonians are trapped, as Marx predicted, by the tendency of the rate of profit to fall. The great engine of Capital they labor in runs on profit (allegorized as Essence and the Five Magical Materials), cannot survive without it, and is increasingly incapable of finding new sources of it. Worse, with the emptying of the Ewer of Souls, they've run into the contradiction of population growth where capitalism demands new workers but industrialized societies see their population rate drop to equilibrium or lower (as seen currently in Japan).

The tragedy of Autochthon is that, hardy prole that He is, He is an excellent inventor and producer but a bit naive. He went to sleep, turning his carefully planned economic system-self into a laissez-faire machine, because He believed that if each individual part was well-designed (and they were) and was dedicated to their own continued functioning (and they are), then the emergent whole would also be well-designed and continue functioning. This, alas, is the fallacy of the free marketeer. As the rate of profit drops, individual parts begin looking for other stores of value to survive on and gremlinize; they cannibalize pension funds and vital infrastructure with little regard for the long-term health of the society. Eventually the rate of profit drops to nothing, the veins of vital Essence run dry, and there are no more functioning repair systems. Autochthon dies, along with all within him.

Fortunately, the workers of Autochthonia have the Alchemicals, heroes of the vanguard! They can if they're brave enough forge their way through the Reaches, overcoming gremlins, class traitors, and the dangers of the environment as an allegory for political revolution until they reach the Elemental Pole of Crystal. To claim the Core is to quite literally "seize control of the means of production", and to waken Autochthon and begin setting things right is to create a planned economy dedicated to human flourishing. Alternatively, they can follow the bourgeois Tripartite and begin the Locust Crusade: a grim vision where Capital sustains itself through imperialism and a constantly expanding resource sphere, that can only end with Autochthon swallowing the Wyld and condemning all that was or ever will be to Oblivion.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Zest posted:

Who's idea was it that they shouldn't release significant information on their next edition, especially after a series of very serious PR gaffes, and then decide NOT to hire professional PR for this project?

I don't think professional PR people are as willing to be paid in cartoon moths flying out of a wallet as RPG writers are.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

I dunno if a white wolf book having a release date of "fuckin, whenever" is really a thing worthy of surprise, much less melodrama

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Kenlon posted:

"THE PERFECT IS THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD"

This is the precise wording of the Primordial death curse against the Solars btw.

It's also the motto of President Barack Obama, who ordered the NSA to delete evidence of the Exalted leak from the internet before sealing the actual text in his Fact Vault for another six months.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Kai Tave posted:

The obvious solution at that point would be to make airships much more common across Creation instead of just a Haslanti League and First Age/Twilight Caste making poo poo thing so that Sail would be both more broadly applicable and desirable instead of the ability that really only matters if the GM specifically makes a campaign about sailing. Ride is at least a skill you could potentially use across the breadth of Creation instead of 2/5ths of it or so.

This isn't a bad idea, since you can make "airships" fairly common while keeping high magic and First Age airplanes extremely rare. Maybe with the right jade inlay on the right species of wood you can build a glider that works well enough to transport small loads - say, a Circle of Exalts and their personal effects. They wouldn't obviate ground travel forever the way a First Age airship would since they'd be at the mercy of the winds, have to fly low enough that they'd be in range of e.g. archers, and so on.

Since one of the fightin' Charms in the leak gets you into "aerial combat" and something to do with air pirates or something like that, I suspect that kind of thing already exists in 3e.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

If they don't have lil' wooden airships in Ex3 they certainly should, imo.

Exalted as gently caress.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Ferrinus posted:

I don't think that's fair. I generally make a lot more posts about things that annoy me than things that impress me, but there's a lot to like even in the playtest. The problem is all the cruft stuck onto it.

Yeah. It's like 4th edition D&D in a lot of ways - sure, it'd be nice to have a highly tactical fantasy wargame that didn't have dumbfuck decisions like math fix feats or developers working to make wizards the boss characters from the start or combat slowdown at high levels, but at least the math *does* get fixed somewhere, the wizards aren't so boss that you could or should make a party entirely out of them, and so on. These are all things you couldn't say before! There's a bunch of annoying stuff here, but it's *at worst* annoying. Exalted 3e is, at long last, a system that you might conceivably choose to use on its own merits rather than because it was the only thing around that happened to do what it does.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Yeah, really. I mean, I still want to play the game and "giving money to assholes" is pretty much modern life, but god drat, if what Plague of Hats is saying is accurate. That's pretty loving "small businessman".

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Plague of Hats posted:

I think talking about this kind of thing in the open is a good way to try to make it stop.

It's true. If you'll recall the Lindsay Lohan film "Mean Girls", when Mean Girl A would call Mean Girl B to inform her of various 'slams' said by Mean Girl C, with various permutations of Mean Girls C and D listening in, its happy result was less petty spite and backbiting between all concerned.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Tulul posted:

This is not demanding a lot, either. "Don't shittalk your coworkers and customer base" is a bar so low it's embedded in the ground. All I want is a bare modicum of professionalism.

Where have you worked that didn't have people poo poo talking coworkers or customers when they weren't around? Not retail or tech work, definitely not academia. I'm hard pressed to think of a line of work that wouldn't have office politics and griping. Holden doing Skype burns on people is being a petty rear end in a top hat in the way small businessmen the world over are petty assholes, but it's not "unprofessional" unless professionalism has nothing to do with how you actually do your job.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Interestingly, getting put on Nixon's enemies list also made you vulnerable to Charms with the Holy keyword.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

thatbastardken posted:

The Unconquered Sun is gone now, and I am poorer for it. He was the real thing -- a divine monster straight out of Grendel and a very dangerous enemy. He could shake both your hand and stab you in the back twice at the same time. He lied to his worshipers and betrayed the trust of his department. Not even Kejop Chejak, the unhappy Sidereal who sidelined the Unconquered and kept him addicted to the Games, was immune to the evil fallout. Chejak, who believes strongly in the cycle of reincarnation, has told more than one of his celebrity kung fu partners that "I know I will be reborn mortal, because I didn't kill the Unconquered Sun."

Chejop Kejak is more Kissinger than Kissinger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Nessus posted:

Helpfully, I think you can read this vigilant defense as being just as much the mastery of small manners and a harmonious society as it means standing out there and keeping your firedust dry :freep: style. Really that was one of the subtle things I like about the game's metaphysics, it obliquely says that a fully realized and humane society (for a very wide expression of 'humane' of course) will ultimately be stronger than a grimdark warrior cult when faced with things like the Wyld.

I would bet that any kind of formalized recognition of other people as being real and separate from oneself, whether through custom or hospitality or honor codes for dueling, would help to defend against the physical encroachment of the Wyld. Per Graceful Wicked Masques, a raksha had to have Staff/Conviction 5 in order to successfully comprehend the needs and wants of others, and a more "average" raksha of Staff/Conviction 2 would just baaaarely be able to understand that they weren't literally alone in a landscape of solipsistic phantoms.

• Locked thread