Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Cask 3

Other than the cross on the knight's armor being matched to the crosses at Elizabethan Gardens and the outline of Roanoke Island in the stonework I have seen nothing else in that image that corresponds directly to something in the environment.

Since the final path to the treasure is so vague (you're on a beach, you can see the Wright Memorial, you're near something inland but still potentially touched by the tide) I figure there must be something in the image that gives a further clue...but I can't spot anything in the pictures that someone posted earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

If you dig it up and post video and pics I will PayPal you 20 bucks.

If it's the Roanoke cask I'll give you 50, since that's the one I wanted to get and thought I had solved it.

Good luck.

Edit: if you post the document though and somebody else does it then no money.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Never Been Banned, if you get arrested, just remember if bail is 20 dollars or less and you post pics/vids of the dig and find the cask you're going to come out ahead.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I actually popped over to Roanoke when I was traveling for my job and despite knowing that I was at a cask location I still couldn't find anything. Nothing matched the picture, Preiss didn't give a poo poo and didn't declare casks out of play or care if anyone found them, and buried them in places where digging is a felony. Sorry but the thread peaked when the guy dug for six hours because the flat rocks he uncovered "told him the treasure was close." Everything else has been interesting but pointless theories that don't mean anything because nobody is going to dig. Let this thread die.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

xie posted:

There has been more progress made on this hunt (if you can call it that) in the last 7 months than in the previous 7 years. Don't give up hope yet. It's getting really tiring having people come in here and demand that goons commit a crime for your entertainment.

I'm not demanding anyone commit a crime. I'm saying that a "game" with a bunch of ambiguous garbage where you can generate dozens of pages of theory and interpretation and be unable to check your work without a felony is stupid. And saying that "progress has been made" when nobody has found anything strikes me as...foolish optimism? "Progress has been made" would be his wife posting the start locations, or the artist helping, or someone finding another cask (a sample size of 2 does not give consistent ways on how to solve these puzzles, another solve would help with the remaining casks - THAT is progress).

Also, here's a little content and I say this as someone who walked nearly every bit of walkable Roanoke beach from east/south part of the fort to the north/west part of the Elizabethan Gardens (which I enjoyed, btw): Cask 3 is out of play. There's nothing that looks like or matches Preiss's image. Whatever was "last touched or first seen standing" on those beaches and can be found hidden in that image was remodeled, demolished, or eroded. And if you say "well it's somewhere else" then you have become a crazy maniac. You can match every verse line to starting at Kill Devil Hills and ending up on a beach on Fort Raleigh. And I walked it all, and there's nothing there to find anymore.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

xie posted:

Is it a casque? No. But at least old long lovely theories are getting worked over again. It really really seems like trees were used in Mil, which really bites 32 years later.

LMAO the only the thing getting "worked over" are your buttholes by the ghost of Byron Preiss. Turns out your latest solve is missing critical landmarks, whoops? How many times are you going to do this dance - well I found it but, uh, they paved over the park, or moved the zoo, or cut down the trees, or LMAO the clues are so bad that we don't even know where to start or what city it is but this time we totally got it, guys.

I'm not making fun of you, you really did solve most of these as best as you could I think, but the poo poo ain't recoverable and the poems/pictures don't work anymore. Don't drive yourself nuts over it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Strongylocentrotus posted:

I am confident it is/was under the center of the gate at the end of the Watergate Walk trail in the Elizabethan Gardens. The cask is probably not there anymore thanks to natural and storm-driven erosion on the beach and/or remodeling of the gardens. Yo, Jockstrap, is the gate gone now too or is it still there?

The gate is there and looks pretty much identical to the picture.

Good things about the gate:

You can see the Wright Bros. Memorial from it. This is actually a pretty big deal, as you really can't see the memorial from a lot of places in the Fort and the Gardens.

Edit: It's far back enough from the beach that the cask could have conceivably survived.

Bad things about the gate:

Everything else.

There's nothing in the image that looks like the gate unless you count "circles" as being a match. The strange thing is, there's nothing in the image that looks much like ANYTHING at the Fort/Garden. I can't believe that the only hints in the image would be the outline of Roanoke and a couple of circles + crosses (plus maybe the outline of the Wright Memorial, writ really small), which sort of hangs us out to dry.

There's nothing in the verse that references the gate. (Nixon's WaterGate = Water Gate is Urban Smurfing it, especially because "July August" is easily found on the Virginia Dare memorial.) And how does the gate relate to "last touched/first seen standing"?

There's no way to tell where to dig - the center of the gate means you would have to dig at the middle-end of a maintained path going out to the beach that people are walking down daily. That seems...extreme. And random. And not "under that which is last touched..."

As someone who was onsite - it's a bust. The entire thing is a bust, but only in the sense that you're not going to find a crappy ceramic cask. You'll spend a while walking around a cool historic site and garden and trying to follow a treasure map. It's still fun, I'm glad I did it, but go to the site to post your experience and realize that Preiss is a gigantic rear end in a top hat who made a bad game that's still fun to play. To a point.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 11, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It's really funny that my reality check is being misconstrued as anger.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

50% of the recovered casks had the (now dead) author say "Right there. Dig there. No, right there." for their solve.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ok, I'll take NBB at his word. Let's talk. When do you expect to have the treasure dug up by?

Can you at least tell us the image/verse you're working with? (if it's as hard as you say and took as long as you claim then surely there's no harm in giving the image/verse combo because you ARE going to do this in the near-term, right?)

Will you be documenting your dig, and will you please print out and place the following quote in the hole if you don't find anything?

ExtraNoise posted:

I think we're now closer than at any other point in this thread to actually finding something.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

ExtraNoise posted:

I do know which image he's talking about, but not the verse (it might be the one attached to the image currently, I'm not sure, or it might be one of the "leftover" ones). I am hesitant to share even this much because I'd hate to pull the rug out from under him.

LMAO you're paranoid about saying "I know the image and maybe he's using one of the unassigned verses"?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The Supreme Court posted:

Your talk of work, success, theories and closeness isn't a helpful mindset: it's not something you iteratively solve until you have the correct solution. There are no affirmative steps aside from "I dug it up".

Instead, you're looking to replicate a thought process or interpretation that's keyed to someone's personality, and you've got to do it so accurately that you find a 1ft radius location somewhere in the entire US thirty years ago.

That's cool, but telling people you've got proof of success in the codebreaking is useless without either strikingly obvious clue similarity, so much so that it must be unique within the US, or the actual box. You guys clearly aren't willing to hand over the former, which rules out everything bar pictures of a successful dig. I.e. put up, or shut up!

drat this is a good post.

And I would like nothing better than to see NBB pull the mug out of the ground, but it's not going to happen.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

No, xie, it's not helpful because the marathon could have a chasm at Mile 25 that is literally uncrossable.

This is the problem, these clues have been erased, altered, destroyed, remodeled...on top of the fact that a lot of them are just plain bad.

There's no amount of analysis that will bring you to the Roanoke cask, for instance. It's gone. And don't be silly and say "no it's not there, you have it wrong, if you just try somewhere else..." It's there, the verse is airtight to bring you to Fort Raleigh and one of three beach paths, but then you get there and see the eroded shores, the collapsed fences, the remodel, the general wear on everything near the beach, and can't find a match to the image that's helpful: it's done. This is the uncrossable chasm.

Milwaukee, the trees cut down.
Boston, paved over.
Charleston, felonious as hell.
Houston, New York, San Francisco - garbage clues, garbage images.

etc. etc. etc.

Like, there's still a chance this can be done. There's probably still some info out there that could solve one of these. But that information will have to come to light first. Taking these garbage clues and garbage images and three decades of change and processing them in your brain is not going to lead to the answer. There isn't some Einstein level genius that could look at this poo poo and make sense of it. That's pure folly.

Stop with the "there's people working on this". They aren't producing casks. They're mentally masturbating. This game isn't hard to play. You get a theory. You go to the site. You take pictures. You walk around. You match poo poo to the image. You go back and dig if you are confident and want to risk jail. That's it. It's not a hard process, and it's not that slow.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 12, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Xie I hope you pull one of these mugs out of the ground one day, I really sincerely do. All I care about is what makes an interesting/funny thread, and posting wacky theories is p. good. Being a secret agent about your mug location is not. Please don't drive yourself crazy.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

To be fair, 200 Statue of Liberty replicas were shipped around the world by the Boy Scouts in the 1950s.

One went to Portland, but nobody has seen it in a long time. So that's a major confirm blasted.

Source:

http://www.cheyennetroop101.org/liberty/

So here's what you do: find more poo poo in that park that matches the image or work on walking through the verse.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It didn't die; theories got increasingly outlandish and there was no real progress so people just gave up.

Literally every theory could probably be resolved in 3 months with the following methodology:

1) Guy says "ok I think I've got something here, it's <his theory>"
2) People pick at it a bit or just laugh it off if it's Urban Smurfing
3) If it's compelling, someone goes and checks it
4) Comes back with pics and general impressions

This is how, for instance, we know that:

Boston is out of play
Milwaukee is out of play
Roanoke is out of play
New Orleans is out of play
Houston is out of play

and that Florida and Montreal and San Francisco and New York are so hard as to be unlikely to be solved (but hey, keep trying) and Charleston is so locked down that it's scary, but might be still doable.

Demonachizer posted:

Man if I found one of these I would take a picture of it and post it and NEVER tell anyone where and how it was found. What an amazing potential troll.

I would honestly rehide it with a new puzzle. Keep the love going.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

TBH I've always suspected that New York might be some other city (with a Statue of Liberty replica in it, there's a lot of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replicas_of_the_Statue_of_Liberty). The fact that they've never been able to find that church outline and it is so distinctive is baffling. And the dress bottom doesn't really look like the shape of Manhattan at all.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Well let's hear the theory! And yeah now that I see that it's very clear that's what it is, oh well. Like I said the whole point is to float ideas and see what's what.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'm proposing that half the remaining casks are out of play - that in 32 years, the parks that the clues lead to have been remodeled so extensively that it's pointless to keep going. I think that's being pretty darn generous tbh.

BTW that Ellis Island theory is looking dang good. Was always bothered by the red line around the rectangle. I knew it meant something. Great find.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Urban Smurf posted:

Dense thinking combined with an enthusiasm for gestalt possibilities.

You're the best, and don't let anyone tell you different.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

LOL does anyone actually say "that day is fast approaching" anymore?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Drunk Nerds posted:

Sorry, I've read this thread and know it's in here, but I forgot:
What are the obstacles keeping people from finding the Lauderdale cask?

Same thing that keeps you from getting the Roanoke one: you know you're in the right general area but now you need to get to a very specific spot and the verse/images just don't help because:

1) You haven't made the connection right (everyone hopes it's this one) and tied the picture/verse to something concrete
or
2) The area has weathered/changed so much that the image clues are worthless.

Same with New Orleans, they moved poo poo around at Armstrong Park and it's toast. Roanoke, weathered down/removed/remodeled most likely. etc. etc.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

xie posted:

I do think it's very odd that not a single "image match" has turned up for St Augustine considering the collective group has driven the owners insane with visits/digs.

There are a few places that have been suggested over the years based on where fences used to be and such, but alas.

I thought there was a map onsite with a picture of the coastline that matches the right side of the rock that the conquistador is standing on?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

xie posted:

There is a super nice Q4T poster who will take photos for you if you ask :) She goes there regularly to visit family.

Nah I don't need pics, I don't think I could succeed where dozens have failed (also being onsite at Roanoke made me realize how little pics helped). I'm not a particularly perceptive person. Part of my Roanoke diversion was just because I enjoyed the old "missing colonists CROTOAN" story when I was a kid and wanted to see where it happened. That I might get to participate in Mug Search 2014 was just a little boost, but I walked into the gardens knowing full well that sharper minds than mine had turned up nothing.

Edit: Mods please rename thread to Mug Search 2014 - the Search For Preissless Treasure

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 13, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah well who loving cares, the game really is designed to be played with a referee and he lost interest and died. I mean good luck to Renner and all that, but a lot of smart people have taken a crack at this and hit a wall.

Hey Xie, what stopped people at the Russian Hill site in SF?

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 13, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

You might also consider that Cleveland was found because the image was so laden with accurate symbolism, and the other images aren't nearly as good.

I mean I found a lot of stuff that could be considered matches in Image 3, but the problem is none of it leads you to the spot. It's just "oh this looks like the arch in the picture, this area looks like a curve in the section of his armor." Great. Where's the cask? Which of these curves, circles, or lines represents something that you can see from the cask spot? For example, there's a motif in Image 3 that seems to repeat 4 times. That seems important. But I couldn't find anything like it anywhere. Same with the bumps on stuff on the armor. Yet there's nothing like that.

I really should go find my Image 3 breakdown. I just took the image completely apart, made silhouettes, all that stuff, to help me break out of the box and just look at pieces. Maybe somebody can do something with it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The biggest two flaws of this treasure hunt is that there are too many ambiguous clues and that the last 5 - 10% you need to pin down the spot with accuracy is just not there in a lot of these verse/images, either due to time or poor design.

The first flaw means that a bunch of people get the wrong idea/interpret things the wrong way and get just enough matches to chase their tails and fall into the abyss.
The second flaw means that a bunch of people get 95% of the way there, think "oh I made it this far, I'm almost done" and then hit the wall, which I experienced myself. You get on site and see some stuff from the images but nothing that points you to where you need to dig. And the response of some of them is to drive themselves crazy or think they got it wrong and fall into the first group, or just think that there's still something there that can be interpreted and linked and analyzed and will lead to the location and start taking hundreds of pictures or w/e. And who knows, maybe they're right, maybe something will get found someday.

And then you have the Montreal cask, which is so incredibly difficult/obscure as to be a joke.

xie posted:

Here is some original research I've been working on in Boston that I can post. Do you see a similarity in the man's (stage left) left arm and the gypsy's arm and hand in Image #11?

I do, but I feel if that is a clue, she would have the same pose as the statue in her other arm too. I mean, Image 7 has a statue in it and the pose is exact, Cleveland you said if you change the rider to centaur the pose is exact, bowman in the Chicago image...just going on what we know.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 13, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah just don't do the progress thing. Have fun with it though.

I genuinely encourage anyone to go to a site and walk around, it's fun and exciting. I would do a second one if I had the opportunity, or even go back to Roanoke to try another theory. It's neat, you notice things you would never notice and it's just...well it kind of activates a part of the brain that never gets much work, the exploration/finding stuff in the environment aspect of the brain, probably very important to our hunter-gatherer ancestors. And you can totally "get" the euphoria of 49er or Klondike Gold Rusher.

BTW you fuckers have got me thinking about Roanoke so thanks for that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

AcidRonin posted:

I like this thread. And the idea of digging holes to find secret hidden

treasure. What sucks is that the Roanoke one is really easy to line up most
things. (Dauntless == Write brothers memorial, White in color == John white, July august == aforementioned British dudes landing and leaving dates) but nothing seems to come together to one place.... Is everybody Just positive it MUST be within the grounds of the Fort's historical site? I suppose the elezibethan gardens make sense. Also has anyone ever tried calling the park services their and involving them so as not to make your digging so illegal? If i was a park ranger their and you explained this story to me i would get a chubby and the. Use it as a media opprotunity.

Yes, I've been to Roanoke. I only had around 90 minutes so I mostly spent them walking the beach and the gardens, since I was convinced it was there. On reflection, and with some further conversations with Xie via PM (didn't want to clutter the thread with boring speculation) I'm not so sure my time was well-spent.

My biggest encouragement to anyone who thinks it's at Roanoke is to get on site and get picture and walk around, because you really don't "get" the spatial links just looking at pictures.

And I'm not convinced it's anywhere specific (other than on "Roanoke Island"), but the fact that phrase "dark forest" is out in front of the Elizabethan Gardens and the Virginia Dare monument has the "July - August" phrase on it is pretty drat solid. I personally think that the cask is at Fort Raleigh along one of the trails (NOT at the beach, read the verse again and realize that it's only IMPLIED that you take the path to the end) under an object that has a sight-line to the Wright Bros. Memorial (so, almost by definition, near the beach because the forest blocks your view of the memorial) and that the image is SUPER IMPORTANT but hasn't been cracked. I will say that the Roanoke image itself has keys on it (which is ultimately the "treasure"), something only one other image has, and that "under that which is last touched/first seen standing" is way too general unless a) the object is very small (so there's a very small area to dig) or b) the image helps you narrow it down. Anyway those are my thoughts, I'm actually working on a guide that I'll post here. Roanoke is fun because it's a dead lock for the first half of the verse; unlike the others you know for certain you're at least in the right general area and can go from there.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Sham I Am posted:

Somewhere earlier in the thread I pointed out that like 30 or 40% of the verse was about the wright brothers, the verse starts and ends talking about the wright brothers, and "Look north at the wing" could be interpenetrated as "stand at the wing itself and look north" instead of "stand here, look north and see the wing". Makes the Wright Memorial seem at least plausible, if not actually likely.

No, it's not "plausible" and don't bring this theory up again as all it does is muddy the issue. First problem: the Wright Bros. Memorial is a big old rock in the middle of a mound with nothing around to match the image. Second problem: it doesn't work as a destination if you follow the verse. Now I admit that Preiss is an idiot who was bad at making puzzles but to have the player get step-by-step directions to take Highway 12 down to the bridge and to Roanoke Island and then to Fort Raleigh and then expect them to magically end up back at the Wright Memorial is a level of ineptitude beyond what Preiss is capable of. There's a bunch of half-rear end image matches in the Garden (by "half rear end" I mean an arch and some columns that match but are pretty generic) and zero, zilch, nada at the Memorial (and there almost COULDN'T BE, it's a big loving rock slab with nothing around). So image + verse point to Fort Raleigh, at least initially. Wherever Cask 3 may be, Preiss at least intended you to pass by the entrance to the Elizabethan Gardens in the Fort Raleigh area on Roanoke Island and there's no way to get back to the Wright Memorial from Roanoke Island without saying "oh look north at the wing means get back in your car, drive away from Fort Raleigh and back across the bridge to the memorial and look north there" which is, to put it mildly, real dumb.

Edit: There's absolutely no way to work the "man of Oz" or "dark forest" or "path to mica and driftwood" to the Memorial. It basically relies on interpreting one sentence differently ("look north at the wing") and frequency analysis to make it work. Nothing else supports it.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 19, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I still don't know why the Russian Hill one in San Fransisco petered out. It has really solid matches: the backwards G and H, the sweet smell, the three poles, the steam engine, the giant step, first North then across, etc. People just got to the lamp post and...lost interest.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 20, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Cleveland isn't good because the drat verse tells you exactly where to go on the wall to dig. If we had that poo poo for Roanoke it would have been solved too. I think Xie's Boston dig is very important because it shows the veracity of his way of interpreting a verse + image for a set of written directions that isn't as easy as "from a place where rocks abound, take five steps, go three down, now your treasure is in the ground".

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

LMAO he's right. Fuckin' Preiss, man. He's provided "clues" in the form of an endless ammo belt of flipped, chopped, stretched, and mirrored images to "confirm" matches to. Son of a bitch.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I want to see Xie dig and win, and I don't want to go to that awful Q4T site to read about it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Xie's gonna dig. He's got the itch. He's gotta know. But it would be dumb to get your rear end tossed in jail without at least TRYING to go above board.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Hmm yes here's a city government that flipped their loving wig over cartoon characters being posted around town, literally declared full on martial law after some mooks popped a pressure bomb at a marathon, and completely failed at a project named, you guessed it, The Big Dig. Let's just pretend that loving around with them is a safe, reasonable thing to do, and if you don't, I'm going to bang my tiny fists on my crib and cry about how old GBS you are. Ga ga goo goo, please get your life wrecked so I can read a post.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Xie finally decides to dig. He uncovers chunks of plexiglass. Excited, he digs down further and accidentally severs a telephone line in the ground. But the line doesn't contain any wire...it's empty except for a rolled up piece of paper. Xie unrolls it. "Shouldn't have waited to dig, bitch. -Plafop" is printed on it. Stunned, Xie doesn't notice the police cruiser pulling up behind him. "Looks like thaht ananymous tip paid off. We got ourselves a wicked sick terrorast hyere!" exclaims one of the cops as he slaps handcuffs on to Xie and hustles him into the cruiser. Before the cruiser drives off, a guy with a jacket bearing the "Dig Safe" logo approaches the back rolled up window. He slaps a piece of paper with the words "1000 dollar fine" on the window. "How do ya like them apples?" he asks.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

CommonShore posted:

is the wiki down permanently or only temporarily? I'm getting a 502 gateway error.

Permanently.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

No, that's fine, that's what this thread for. It's the super-secret cloak and dagger bullshit that everybody hates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Nice job Xie, and I'm looking forward to a pic of your smiling face when you pull that mug out of the ground.