Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
If there WAS one in New Orleans, I'm willing to bet Katrina got to it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Another little thought about the picture for cask 7... It's the only one without a gemstone in the picture.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
If this thread is still kicking by Monday-Tuesday, I'll drive over to Louis Armstrong Park in N.O. (I live about an hour away) with a shovel and check out the clues and take pictures. I'd go tomorrow but my weekend is gonna be busy.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
I know we have a few people thinking verse 7 is in San Francisco, but here's my reasoning behind why verse 7 HAS to be New Orleans:

First, let's recite the whole thing. Again.

At stone wall's door
The air smells sweet
Not far away
High posts are three
Education and Justice
For all to see
Sounds from the sky
Near ace is high
Running north, but first across
In jewel's direction
Is an object
Of Twain's attention
Giant pole
Giant step
To the place
The casque is kept.

Now, let's break this down.

At stone wall's door
The air smells sweet

This is more than likely referring to the Cafe Du Monde. For those who have never been to New Orleans, The cafe Du Monde is located directly in front of a stone wall. The smell of the beignets covered in powdered sugar and cafe au lait will literally fill the air with an overwhelming sweetness.

Not far away
High posts are three

This is likely referring to St. Louis Cathedral. It is also located close to the cafe and has three spires.

Education and Justice
For all to see

There are two buildings; one on each side of the cathedral. The one on the left is called the Cabildo. This was used as a courthouse for the Louisiana Supreme Court. It is now a museum. The building on the right is called the Presbytere. This building was ALSO used by the Louisiana Supreme Court. It is now a museum as well.

Sounds from the sky
Near ace is high

I haven't quite figured this part out. Maybe it has to do with the bells from the cathedral that ring.

Running north, but first across
In jewel's direction
Is an object
Of Twain's attention

The street running next to the Cabildo is St. Peter St.; and Mark Twain wrote about Saint Peter. If you follow it in the jewels' direction on the painting (which is directly overhead, or twelve o clock in the picture), it takes you straight to Armstrong Park. This would explain the "but first across" part.

Giant pole
Giant step
To the place
The casque is kept.

I haven't figured this part out yet, but I'm working on it. It might have something to do with the statues in the park. Or perhaps it could just be a riddle for the long straight path (giant pole) and how far you have to travel to get there (giant step).

I'm pretty sure this means the intersection of N. Rampart & St. Peter. I think the tall light posts are the "giant pole" & the "giant step" is crossing the intersection. This brings us directly to Louis Armstrong Park.

From here, the verse is finished and we need to analyze the picture to pin-point the location within the park.

Devyl fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 2, 2013

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

allta posted:

cask 7/New Orleans

This cant all be a coincidence right?

That head in the corner (I think) is the horse head that used to be one all the poles in the French Quarter.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Sesq posted:

Could the little guy on the clock be swimming? Or could he represent the statue of Andrew Jackson somehow? I'd bet the bells represent important landmarks for the exact location.

It's the John McDonough statue in Lafayette Square.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

plaguedoctor posted:

Would that relate to the fact that the hand looks like some kind of zombie hand?

I think the zombie style of the hand is to represent voodoo and its ability to bring people back from the dead. And where else is voodoo practiced more prevalent than New Orleans?

The Adama posted:

I think "giant step" means that the cask is buried within one large stride of that pole, treasure map style.

I thought this too, but then I thought maybe it's in reference to the distance, riddle style. Who knows, yet... Maybe both are right. Like I said, I'll be taking a ride out there next week unless another Goon closer (stuntcock is in N.O. I think?) can go check it out.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

BonoMan posted:

I mean some of this is just so ridiculously convoluted. How would anyone ever think it would be solved "within a month?" Especially back in the super early 80s without any of the sort of mind-sourcing available via the internet today?

It's what super nerds did before the internet.

*edit* To avoid a double post, I have another reason why I think the picture has to be tied to New Orleans. If you look in the clock, it has the moon in the stars above the stone. New Orleans, aka 'The Crescent City', has water meter covers that look like this:

Although it's probably just a coincidence.

Devyl fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 2, 2013

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Mr. Toodles posted:

Also, Devyl, "ace is high" seems like a poker reference as he was an avid poker player. If there were any places were major poker games were played that could be something.

My fear is that one or more of these verses were based on a store, shop, bar, etc. because in the French Quarter businesses open and close on what seems like an almost daily basis. There's only a few that I can think of that have been there for more than 10 years.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
N.O. and general

Bea Nanner posted:

There are also practical applications to consider. Have any other casks been buried on public land? Over here you show up with a shovel and start digging in a park and you'll spend the night in jail. Also consider New Orleans has an extremely high water table, so nothing is getting buried very deep. Moreover, consider Katrina has changed many previously notable landmarks, so try to consider what things may have looked like in the late 70s.

Here's my thoughts: Looking at pictures of the one that was found, I'm going to assume it'll be in a pretty small area. Something like a planter or small ledge. I highly doubt they just chose a random spot in the middle of an open area and said "Good enough!" They've been specific with everything else to get there; I'm sure they were specific about the location once you get in the area as well.

Devyl fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 2, 2013

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Absolute Lithops posted:

General

In the Cleveland puzzle, the illustration of the birth flower was part of a rebus pointing to the cask's location.

This means two things:
1) The flowers, and possibly the jewels, in the images can be clues.
2) Some clues may be rebuses, instead of depicting things you're actually supposed to see.

N.O./general

Since you brought that up, i've been wondering if there's some meaning in the design of the clock hands at 12:00 in the 7th painting. Or maybe I'm just over-analyzing it :catdrugs:

Here it is, enlarged and sharpened from the high-res:

*edit*

I'm pretty sure I figured out this verse:

"Giant pole
Giant step
To the place
The casque is kept."

At the intersection of St. Peter & N. Rampart exiting the Quarter, there are a row of really tall light posts. I'm pretty positive this is the "giant pole" and the "giant step" is crossing the intersection. And like previous posters have said, this takes you RIGHT to the park.

I think since we know the general area, the verse is finished and we need to use the painting to pinpoint the exact location.

Devyl fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 2, 2013

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

BonoMan posted:

This is the weirdest thing to me. It HAS to be significant. It's fingers are in a very deliberate pose and are very peculiar looking.

N.O.

I agree. I read on a wikipedia or some article that's been posted in here that it might be related to the Joan of Arc statue in the Quarter; but I think there might be something else to it.

Actually, there is. I'm stupid and forgot about the Rougarou :doh:

Devyl fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 3, 2013

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Maguro posted:

There is a Giant trumpet statue there, but I'm not sure how old it is. I also think it is surrounded by concrete.

I need to find a really long metal rod (probably just get one from the Hardware store.) But even if I hit something I would need to dig kinda far down pretty quick, and there is a fair chance that It might be a rock or an old brick or something. The park is located right next to a very active police station.

What law would I be breaking if I was searching for treasure in Armstrong park? They would probably just cart me off to a mental ward.

Technically, it's destruction of public property. However, I'm sure once you explained what was going on and if you had a copy of the book for an explanation you might get lucky. Best thing to do is get a 2' thin pipe and use it to test first. The cask is buried in a plastic box, so you'll know the sound & fell versus say a rock or root.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
N.O.

My thoughts on the whole Jackson Square thing. I'm not saying anyone is wrong; I just highly doubt it would have been buried there. It's in a highly public area where digging a 2-3' deep hole would be almost impossible without drawing a lot of attention, even 31 years ago. You have artists that line one side, psychics lining the other, and horse & buggy carriages lining the front. The amount of foot traffic the Square sees daily is pretty massive. Also, the Square is locked at night, so if you wanted to go when no one was there, you'd have to hop an 8' tall spiked wrought iron fence.

Devyl fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 3, 2013

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
N.O.

Mad Mafioso posted:

This is a badly translated section of the book.

It mentions New Orleans, Saint Charles, Saint Peter, and of course the line from the poem. It looks like this is definitely connected to the NO cask. Or maybe not.

It's possible, but the rest of the verse doesn't seem to make sense to be in N.O. The only thing I can think of 21 across and 15 down would be a mausoleum or cemetery... But the problem with that is there are several in N.O. to pick from.

I've also outlined most of the stuff we've guessed on the high-res picture. If anyone wants high-res of the rest of the pictures, let me know.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Here it is drawn in red for you all. Hope it helps :)

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Bea Nanner posted:

NO

Sounds from the sky
Near ace is high

This one is bothering me. I think Sounds from the sky is Calliope from nearby steamboats. But what the gently caress is near ace is high?

I was thinking Harrah's or something, but that opened in 1999 so that's out. Obviously New Orleans historically gambled, but I don't know what the policy was circa 1979.

The policy was "Don't get caught".

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

CronoGamer posted:

I haven't been following the NO search much, but when I read this I wondered if there were a large capital A (for ace) on a sign/billboard/something up high. Someone mentioned earlier that BP was an avid poker player and I wonder if he were to see an A by itself up high, it would make him think of aces high.

Like I mentioned earlier, a clue like that would take some digging into historical archives of the Quarter, because a lot of businesses have shut down or been re-named since the late 70's/early 80's.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

New Orleans

I didn't want to double post, but I don't want this request lost. Could someone overlay the New Orleans picture over a street map of the french quarter? I was just noticing on google maps how regular, like the checkered background, it was. Maybe those distorted places match up on a map?

I tried it, and nothing really lined up. The blocks are all square except those south of Decatur, and those are all triangle shaped.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Haven't made it to N.O. to check everything out yet. Been busy with work, and by time I get off and get down there, everything will be dark. I'm hoping for maybe some time this weekend, or next weekend if I can't make it this time.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

stab posted:

can somebody blow up the right side of cask 9? specifically to the right of his hair...there's something there, much lighter than the rest of the background shading...also edit again: is the usa expo 67 display visible in the background of habitat 67? a picture where they align over each other somewhere?

Original:

Contrasted:

Inverted original:

Contrasted inverted:

Even if it's nothing to do with the location, it's still pretty creepy.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
GENERAL

I think some of you are way over-analyzing these photos. If you look at the solved picture, you notice everything is there, plain to see. There's no 'zoom in with 5 times magnification, rotate 90 degrees, and decipher what MIGHT be a number or letter' business going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Haven't posted in this thread in a while... Has anyone found one yet?