Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Foolie posted:

So, are gaming laptops a lost cause entirely? I haven't been in one place long enough the past ~6 years to justify a desktop and started buying gaming laptops. They tended to be great... for a year. Afterwards, given ~20 hours a day of use, they have committed ritual computer seppuku via fan/overheating/video card problems. The most recent victim has discovered all kinds of interesting BSODs inside of Windows 8. Expected behavior, or I am terrible at quality control and compute care?

I'm at a year and a half on a Sager NP9160 including a Year In Review post made in this thread and I still have no complaints. For reference it gets used atleast 6 hours a day and goes literally everywhere I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Im not much of a high res nerd like the people in this thread demanding 1440p on 13" screens but goddamn if 1366x768 isn't pretty suboptimal on 15" screens, nevermind 17".

Lets not forget that the screen quality itself is going to be complete poo poo.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Either one sucks but atleast 1280x800 is headed in the right direction wrt aspect ratio

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

Everything about the Y510p seems better than the T440p and it's cheaper. I'm missing something here.

The Y510p is not a ThinkPad

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

tyler is a joke posted:

My office is looking to buy a couple laptops for work-use. Here's what we're looking for:

- PC
- Microsoft Office included (in final price at least)
- 15 inch-ish screen
- Around (preferably under) $400.
- Ability to connect to wifi
- Ability to stream youtube videos
- Preferably a VGA connection

Beyond that it doesn't matter and it's highly likely they'll be trashed / given away by the end of the year anyway.

Is this possible/suggestions?

Cut the number of laptops you need in half.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Namlemez posted:

I'm back to stir up controversy after asking why not get the 1366x768 screen on a Y510P! I went to Microcenter (which actually has great selection now) to check it out in person and the FHD screen looked nice but then I realized they'd set the text scaling up to make it visible.

I kept browsing around and saw some neat looking Asus laptops with the 17" full HD screens. While comparison shopping on Newegg, I found this one below which appears to be a Best Buy specific version with "only" 8GB of RAM vs 12GB for $250 off as a refurb. For what I was going to spend on the Y510P, I got a bigger screen, better graphics card (765M), and an extra HDD bay. I just got it Thursday and am loving it over my four year old laptop that is now relegated to HTPC duties.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231333

Lets not revisit it since you're bound and determined to spite yourself

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

ColoradoCleric posted:

Since it seems like all the laptop manufacturers are moving on to ultra books and for a lot of them its their first time making them it seems really hard for them to make one for around $700 that doesn't break in some way according to newegg reviews :psyduck:.

Probably because $700 is a lovely price point to attempt with an Ultrabook

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Tom Guycot posted:

metro needed to be done and the interface for its intended purpose is fantastic, the best tablet os I've used. They made several boneheaded moves in its interaction with classic desktop mode though, but they're growing pains they needed to get out of the way, and couldn't really wait any longer.

That its a tablet OS is why it should have been kept so far away from desktop usage.

and its a poo poo tablet interface

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Is that a Kepler or Maxwell 860M

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Imaduck posted:

Is there any way to figure this out, other than opening the machine up? Even if you did, would you be able to tell?

GPU-Z should tell you the die size and the architecture

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Imaduck posted:

This is what I get

If I'm reading this right, this article seems to indicate that the processor speed is in line with the Kepler 860M. They also claim that performance (although maybe not power consumption?) should be about the same between the two chips.

Yeah thats the Kepler version. The Maxwell 860M will indeed offer much improved power consumption. I'm kinda perturbed that it is the only Maxwell 800 series mobile chip that will be available.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Here is my one year review of my Sager NP9150 from Xoticpc.com if it helps anyone

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
A Lenovo Y410p is probably the best alternative for ~1k gaming laptops

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Rahu X posted:

So with Microsoft reverting Windows 8 back to more and more of how Windows used to be, how long do you think it will take them to drop Modern UI all together (or at least make it completely optional), and how much longer do you guys think touchscreen laptops will still be a thing?

I mean, I get the appeal of having a touchscreen, but it seems like it doesn't really add much outside of the Modern UI environment, or any environment not designed for touch for that matter. Most people I know that use Windows 8 barely even use the Modern UI side. They just slap on something like Classic Shell after installation and go on their merry way.

It just doesn't seem like touchscreen interfaces are going to continue outside of smartphones and tablets for much longer, in my opinion.

Microsoft isn't going to give up this fight by any means. They've bet the farm on this One UI to Rule Them All crap

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

tech.t.rex posted:

I just found the Asus N550JK, which just came out.

Pros :

- $1100
- 1-inch chassis
- 15.6 inch screen (1920x1080)
- 850M Maxwell (instead of Kepler) gpu
- default ram is a 8gb single stick (easy to upgrade to 16gb since it has 2 sockets)
- Intel AC 7260 dual band wifi (depending on where you live apparently? The one on amazon had what I wanted)
- aluminium chassis with 2 cooling paths
- reportedly gets 5 hours on the battery

The 550JV got great reviews (and is sold out everywhere I looked) and the the JK version looks to be just a component upgrade (ram+gpu+wifi). I got an extra 8gb of ram for $74.

I also read that the latest and greatest thermal compound is no longer Artic Silver, but IC Diamond compound. Apparently (and some review screenshots back it up) you can get about 8C lower temps just by swapping, which is impressive. I grabbed some as well, and plan on redoing the laptop and my desktop cpus with it.

The best part, is that Ubuntu 14.04 reportedly works **flawlessly** (by default, everything minus screen brightness adjusting, which can be fixed with some script hacking) and Windows 7 is fully supported. It comes with 8.1 x64.

It's on Amazon prime too, so I'm ordering it, and i'll have it in 2 days. Amazon reportedly will take returns on laptops that have pixels, so that's also a bonus.

FYI that 850M is a 28nm chip, not the new Maxwell 20nm process

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

tech.t.rex posted:

It might be a 28nm chip, however it is Maxwell, confirmed by several sources online. They could be lying, however I'm taking their word for it at the moment. In a few days, I'll be able to confirm it.

From here:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/750101-2014-asus-n550jk-ds71t-quick-mini-review-opinion-so-far.html

"- Geforce GTX 850M DDR3 2GB Maxwell GM107M"

I didn't say it wasn't Maxwell, just that it is not 20nm process. It will have equal performance to the 20nm variety but at an increased power consumption. Blame nVidia for making two 850M

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Intel's drive for power and thermal efficiency has a huge impact on servers running all the of the web crap we hold so dear

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Christoff posted:

I love Asus but the equivalent Sager is $300-400 less. Plus sager has a 15" option

There's quite a few of us here with XoticPC built Sager laptops. They're just as good(or as bad) as Asus/MSI. Don't worry about it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Yeah being able to use 5ghz is great if you're in an area where 2.4 is congested to gently caress

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
fwiw I had to use a Surface Pro the other day and if I had to spend more than 5 minutes typing on it I'd murder someone

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
I'd look at a Sager NP8278 through xoticpc.com

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Very intriguing idea. I'm looking at the NP8268 (with a SSD added) for the smaller screen/lower weight. Anybody have personal experience with these? I'm curious about the quality, I see fewer reviews on Sager/Clevo stuff than with other brands.

Here's my review of a Sager NP9150 I purchased in August 2012.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Can someone give me the lowdown on the G series of thinkpads? It seems like the L series is the cheaper grade of the T series. Is the G series like the third and lowest step? Are they good enough to not break really fast? Is it worth saving the 150-200 by getting a G instead of an L for similar specs (like i5 and whatever else? There's less good stuff like screen/wifi upgrades.

The G series are not ThinkPads at all. They are Lenovo's bottom of the barrel, price-competitive at all costs, entry laptops.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Trebuchet King posted:

There are a couple of things that might be downsides, depending on your needs:
- Windows 8. It's taking me quite a bit of getting used to; my understanding is the next big patch will put the start menu back in, which is my biggest qualm with the current state of the OS.

Don't bet the farm on that. Just get StartIsBack and never worry about it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
The Lenovo Y510/410p is the go-to gaming laptop for $1000 so congrats on your purchase

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Imaduck posted:

A lot of schools have deals with Dell and are obsessed with using them. I've found on the lower end, Dells are fairly competitively priced, but on the upper end, the margin is absurd. I don't see why you'd want a touchscreen with a laptop like that, and there are machines out there with the same specs and a better video card for $500 less.

The one nice thing about getting a Dell through the school is that they often have good, fast repair deals with them. This was relevant when my M4400 went through 6 power adapters, a motherboard, and a SSD.

Schools are there to gently caress you out of every goddamn cent you have and that includes laptop 'deals'. That poo poo is there for people with more money than ability to operate Dell's website.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
I have a T440s I'm demoing to people to clients to drag them out of the stone age and it is indeed A Nice Laptop

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Looks like it's from the Stone Age though.

I have no idea what this means

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

The only thing that's changed in their look since 1992 is the size of the bezel.

I wish this was true.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

ceaselessfuture posted:

http://shop.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/lenovo/g-series/g510/

Does anyone have experience with the Lenovo g510? I saw this and it looks like a pretty good deal.

I'm looking for a laptop that I can do some photo editing on, as well as some gaming for when I'm not working. Would love to play games like Skyrim, F:NV, and all the upcoming kickstarter RPGs. Max graphics isn't a big deal though, I'm not that picky.

Be warned that all of the praise heaped on Lenovo in this thread is for the Thinkpad branded laptops. The G-series is consumer grade trash.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

DrDork posted:

Seeing ThinkPads survive water tests that Elitebooks, let alone Latitudes, fail miserably at. Seeing ThinkBooks survive the dust and grit of Afghanistan that slaughtered almost everything else we took out there (the Elitebooks actually did pretty well--not as great, but not bad at all). Basically, I've had a lot of personal experience with them that still leads me to believe that they're top-of-the-pile.

So that is 'no'

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Im at almost two years on my Sager NP9150 and it really was worth every considerable penny.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
So exactly what did they do wrong

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

I've been reading this thread a lot recently as I'll be going to the USA in October and will be looking to buy a super laptop.

I'm on the move a lot (not every day, like every few months) and want a beast of a laptop that will be able to edit 4k video and easily play all the latest games on ultra. I've never had a high spec PC/laptop and now it's my chance!

It's been a mission sorting through Amazon and XoticPC, but I really like the look of the Alienware 18. Yes it's big and heavy, and I know that for the same price you can build one hell of a micro-ATX PC, but then you have to lug around a monitor, keyboard, speakers etc. It's just a hassle.

The MSI laptops seem OK, but apparently they overheat and I don't much like the look of them. Sager seem to have better value, but man they're ugly.

I found Xotic through this thread and I know one person had a bad experience with them recently but they mostly have good reviews. So if I did order a laptop through them, how worthless are their upgrades? I see you can add a Samsung SSD 250Gb for $180, but it's only $140 on Amazon, so that's a massive rip off to install a HDD. Is their cooling paste worth it? I'm assuming I can easily overclock myself so that's also a waste of money.

Basically any advice would be great, maybe recommendations for a 17" laptop with better specs? This might all be moot in October anyway. Thanks!

I own a Sager 9150 that I'm at almost 2 years on. I'll track down my 1 year review of it and link it.

If you're comfortable with installing your own SSD and OS install, buying your own is the far better deal. The cooling paste upgrade is not worth it in my opinion. Unless you are using this laptop in a clean room you're going to be cleaning dirt/fur/whatever out of the cooling fans and heat sinks maybe every 6 months. Buy some Noctua NT-H1 and do it yourself. You can only overclock the MX processors and IMO it'll be a waste since you're going to run out of thermal headroom fast.

Edit: My 9150 review

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Better displays(and resolutions) aren't such an important thing when like half the people in the world have poo poo eyesight and refuse to do anything about it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Physics pretty much says you're not getting thin, light and awesome CPU/GPU. That heat has to be dealt with somehow and if not it'll throttle down to nothing.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Peachtree handles scaling like :suicide:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Etrips posted:

Heya goons,

Wanted to ask what would be a step up from the Y50 if I wanted to do some heavy gaming? Wanted something that I can use at work. Transportability is not an issue. Price range is $1000-2000.

edit: Is the Alienware line still garbage?

xoticpc.com

I recommend Sager/Clevo

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

staticman posted:

I haven't seen this brought up in this thread yet. If these benchmarks are legit at all, then this is a pretty big loving deal:

:stare:

I should be ashamed of being tempted to buy a :pcgaming: laptop because of this. Speaking of, are there any light-weight, good battery life laptops of that variety worth buying? I'm going to be a full-time student come January.

Gonna be doing a new laptop next year to replace my current Sager and oh man oh man do these numbers have me excited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Quite a few of us here have Sager laptops from xoticpc.com. I've had mine for 2 years and 2 months with no problems and it goes literally everywhere I go.

If I had to buy another today I would get a Sager NP8268