Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

papa horny michael posted:

How come the dell chromebook 11 no longer has a page on dell's site, and isn't available for purchase?

It appears it's only in the For Education section (despite the link being in /business/ ):
http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/chromebook-11/pd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

HP pretty much makes garbage so none of those pictures were very surprising if you've had to support them. The only HP hardware I'd ever recommend is their Microserver.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

kaworu posted:

Welp, I ordered the Asus G750 from Amazon yesterday evening, and it is getting here by 3PM today. I freaking love Amazon Prime shipping - for something like this overnight shipping for $7.99 felt better than waiting until Monday for free. After waiting like a month for the last laptop I ordered from a boutique, I am honestly much happier to be getting a sealed box model that I can modify myself. Plus, there is something nice about clicking a button to order something like this and having it arrive less than 24 hours later. I am watching the door with baited breath!

One thing I've not yet quite decided how to work out is the hard drive situation, and it's been troubling me.

The Asus I am getting comes with two HDD storage bays, and one single 1TB/5400RPM HDD. My soon-to-be-previous laptop has an Intel 120GB SSD running the OS and key programs (which I believe works fine still but it's small and has a lot of miles on it after 2+ years of near-continuous use) and a 750GB/7200 HDD in the second bay that I use for storage, and is almost full. But those files are duplicated in my external hard drive that I use mainly to back stuff up.

So anyway, I am not quite sure how to configure it all... I am leaning on keeping the 1TB in there for storage, and getting a newer, bigger SSD to run windows and games on - the 120GB is really too small, in addition to being *very* well-traveled. A 250GB Samsung 840 SSD currently has what appears to be a very very reasonable cost on Amazon (I was looking at this in particular) and that seems like a very worthwhile investment, to be honest... I'm a little uncomfortable continuing to use my current one, despite how reliable Intel SSDs are As I understand it, that's probably the most reliable and cost-efficient SSD on the marked at the moment, so it makes sense. That would be right direction to go in, no?

Not to mention, the HDD is the one component that seems woefully underpowered when compared to the rest of the machine. An i7-4700HQ processor (probably stronger than I need) and a plenty-powerful GTX 860m GPU (which actually optimus which I didn't know), as well as more than enough RAM... And then you've got this 5400RPM HDD spinning around in there :what: At least it's easy to replace.

As long as you're running Windows or another OS with TRIM then the Samsung 840 EVO is going to be the best SSD for the money. If you use a lot of different OSes you might look into a Sandforce based disk like an Intel 530. The Samsung will be faster in general, however. Using it for the OS disk and the spinner for storage is a solid plan. If you need more information there's the SSD Megathread.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sadsack posted:

After five years of faithful service, my Dell Inspiron has took a poo poo and died. I need a replacement, but I'm not sure which brands are good and which aren't. Ideally I want a laptop that's reliable and doesn't come burdened with a load of shovelware. So which companies machines should I be looking at? It looks like I've got a choice of Lenovo, HP, Asus, Acer and Toshiba.

Lenovo (thinkpad), Asus (higher end), Dell (latitude or XPS lines, avoid the inspirons), in my opinion. Most laptops come with a lot of poo poo preinstalled but you can run http://pcdecrapifier.com/ to get rid of most of it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Popelmon posted:

What's the problem with the inspirons?

They're Dell's budget line so most have plastic bodies and are cheaply built. If you're careful with them they're okay, but they tend to use lower resolution screens and be kind of bare bones. One personal issue is that replacing the HD requires you to take the keyboard out and half diassemble the unit, while better laptops have an access panel on the bottom to remove it with. Dell's warranty service is very good inside the US, however.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Dr. Video Games 0150 posted:

I just bought a used t420 off eBay because I really wanted the last visage of real track point without a bonkers keyboard. Will post trip report next week.

I'm thinking about getting one of those for work to replace my 2005 acer which amazingly still works fine (but is a WinXP machine with a turion and 1gb of ram), so I'd like to hear how it works out for you.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Dr. Video Games 0150 posted:

I got this Lenovo t420 off eBay for $280 shipped:
Processor: Intel Core i5-2520M 2.5 GHz Dual Core
Memory: 4 GB DDR3
Hard Drive: 320 GB 7200 RPM
Display: 14.1"
Video Card: Nvidia Quadro NVS 4200M with 256MB RAM , Resolution: 1600 X 900
Optical Drive: DVD/CD-RW
Battery: Included
WiFi: Included, 802.11n
Bluetooth: Included
Ports : 4 USB 2.0, 1 eSATA, 1 DisplayPort, 1 Gigabit Ethernet
PCMCIA : 1 + Express
VGA : 1
Audio : On Board
Webcam : Included

Got lucky and they actually threw in 8 gb of ram! Honestly I got this model to be nostalgic for the last standard layout keyboard + track point thinkpad. Ill probably throw in a ssd around Black Friday because why not. Criticism is justified against screen quality-- you will need to adjust your viewing angle using this screen. Nonetheless, it's really a great little machine. I can see this satisfying my productivity and my mobile gaming needs (essentially only LoL) for another ~3-4 years because the build quality just feels that good. Overall I'm very happy with the purchase. The biggest concern I've mentioned (primarily viewing angle) has really easy workaround in the home like chromecast, or an external display. Lastly, in the age of tablets you *will* notice a device weighting >4 lbs versus that of a tablet. Shouldn't be a big deal for most folks but tablet capacities are quickly converging on equally priced laptops.

That sounds pretty good for what I need. I actually went ahead and ordered a T420 with similar specs (8 gigs of ram and 1600x900 screen) on ebay on Friday. It mostly needs to run IDEs, Chrome and MS Office with reliability being more important than weight or screen quality so I'm hoping for the best. Doing IT I also need to be able to burn discs and use a physical ethernet jack but that seems to be the standard still unless you're buying an ultrabook. I have an Intel 530 SSD waiting for it to get here. It's B grade from Arrow who do a lot of reselling of off-lease equipment so it could be better or worse than they say, but I'll find out when it gets here. Unfortunately the estimated shipping time has it showing up in 7-12 days from now, but ebay is like that.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I ended up buying a refurbished T420 from Arrow on ebay (seller is shop-arrow-direct). They're a fairly well known company that sells a lot of off-lease and refurbished PCs. The first one I received was nearly perfect except that it had an issue where after coming out of sleep mode it would hard crash (no event logs or anything, just turned off). They have a 30-day 100% satisfaction guarantee and a 60 day warranty, so I called them up and they offered three options. Option 1: return it (with a provided UPS shipping label) for exchange if they have the same kind of unit available (and they have a ton of them), Option 2: Full refund, Option 3: 50% refund and keep the unit (in case you could fix it yourself). I've sent it back to them via option 1 and we'll see how long it takes them to get me a replacement out but I'm pretty impressed with their customer service so far. The only downside was that the initial shipping took about 11 days to get the unit to me, and now I had to return it so I may end up spending a month getting a working unit, but for me it wasn't a high priority purchase and I expect to keep it for years so I'm not too concerned.

I almost went for option 3 except that I spent a while troubleshooting it and had no luck with a reinstall of Win7 with various power management drivers, Win8, or Ubuntu. I suspect there was a bad component on the power system on the mainboard so it wasn't worth the hassle of trying to figure that out for me.

I can't say for certain if I recommend them as a seller yet but so far my experience has been good, I just don't currently have a laptop in hand and I purchased on August 29th.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Cactus Jack posted:

So glad to read this. I just bought one of the lower end one T420s (4gb ram, 1366x768 screen) from them for my mom and it should be here tomorrow. Goodbye Dell laptop from 2006 with Windows XP, destroyed screen, lovely hinges, Core Duo CPU and 1gb ram!

When I printed the UPS return label Arrow customer support provided me, they had me email them the tracking number on it so they could tell when it arrived back at their facility (they have a lot of facilities). I sent it out from a UPS store on Friday afternoon and it arrived on Tuesday around 1pm. My replacement arrived today (Thursday) showing it was shipped on Tuesday. The replacement is in better physical shape than the original one I got (almost no blemishes while the first just had a couple of small scuff marks). It also has the bluetooth module which wasn't guaranteed to be included in the ebay listing (it said may or may not include, and the first one I got did not have BT).

For the previous T420 I received it had wrist area wear and trackpad wear, although nothing major (it was a B grade listing for quality). For the replacement it seems like the original owner didn't use the keyboard or mouse at all or they were replaced when it was refurbished, and the hard disk only has about 3000 hours on it. I'm going to run memtest and do some other checking but so far the replacement they shipped me seems to be in better shape than the original and doesn't have the same sleep mode issue.

Since the original shipment took 11 days it was a nice change of pace to send in the old unit for RMA and receive a replacement in 6 days. I still have to make sure that this one doesn't have any small problems but so far it's fine and I still have a month of warranty in case anything shows up.

After testing I'll pop in the SSD and hopefully it'll be good for 5 years or so. I'm also going to check if the battery is one of the recall units just in case (they may have taken care of this while it was being refurbed but it doesn't hurt to check since if it is a recalled battery you get a new battery replacement for free): http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/hf004122

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Freakbox posted:

Okay- this is a really simple question. My Girlfriend dropped her laptop, and in the process she might have damaged or dislodged the sound card. Plugging in speakers doesn't work, nor do headphones (unless 'she wiggles it around in the jack' she says). She says does not have the technical knowledge to open the laptop nor the money to go to a professional. If she were to buy a pair of bluetooth//wireless speakers//headphones, would that give her sound without necessitating a repair?

Most likely yes, it would. The internal sound card is on the mainboard, so the headphone jack is itself damaged and needs to be re-soldered or replaced. Bluetooth audio out (or a USB sound card) should replace the audio output from that jack and work normally unless there's something else going on. If she can wiggle it and get the jack working it's most likely just got broken solder joint or broken pin on the audio jack.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bob Morales posted:

90 day warranty

Are those refurbs?

I swear every model Zenbook has been on a deal site. So they are either junk or ASUS just makes way, way more than they need to and love selling them on closeout.

Yeah they're refurbished. ASUS has a standard 90 day warranty on factory refurbished stuff like laptops and tablets.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

QuarkMartial posted:

I've got a laptop with an eSata port, and I have an old desktop that has a HD I'd like to get files off of. What are my options as far as enclosures and such go? I don't have a big budget for this, and I've seen enclosures in the 20-40 dollar range and for something that's basically a one time use sort of situation I don't want to go above that unless I have to.

My computer died a couple years ago. It was a shuttlepc and I've not had the funds to build a whole new PC or really even bother trying to swap out parts. I really just want to get my stuff (mainly my music at this point) off of the drive and be done with it.

If it's a sata drive something like this will be easier than finding an esata enclosure:
http://www.amazon.com/Patuoxun-Converter-Adapter-Cable-Drive/dp/B008ASF5MC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415321392&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+sata

If it's IDE then this is more appropriate:
http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Converter-Activity-Support-EC-AHDD/dp/B00CPGYNV4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1415321392&sr=8-2&keywords=usb+sata

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

QuarkMartial posted:

Woops. Yeah, it's a sata drive. I take it that since it's got both USB ports that takes care of powering the drive, too?

Yeah, those 2.5" laptop drives are super low power so the usb port handles it. The second USB plug is just additional current.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

VulgarandStupid posted:

His desktop most likely used a 3.5" drive, in which case that won't work.

Oh yeah, that's a good point. I've seen both in desktops but 3.5" is far far more likely. The one in the second link also does SATA and includes a power supply that will work so go for that one. Sorry!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Will Rice posted:

What laptops have trackpoints, besides Thinkpads? (Any tips on reliable sites to buy refurbed laptops would also be nice).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointing_stick#Naming_and_brands

Quite a lot of those will probably be older models.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The Iron Rose posted:

so my girlfriend's mom is being an idiot and wants to buy my girlfriend a 300 dollar HP laptop. including a 3 year warranty. And it has to be HP.

Please give me arguments I can use to convince an older person that this is a terrible idea.

The only thing in that price range worth buying from HP would be a Chromebook. Those are pretty nice. If you walked up to me with $300 and said you need a good laptop that won't break if you look at it funny I'd have you buy a refurbished Thinkpad T420 from ebay. I got one earlier this year with 8gb of ram and a 1600x900 screen for around $270 after shipping and it's fantastic. I did put a SSD in it however.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The Iron Rose posted:

That's what I said. I actually got a great thinkpad for 400 with a 128 tb SSD and a 1090 screen. Screaming good deal.

Also I have an acer chromebook and love it. Great machines. Sadly my girlfriend is an amateur photographer and artist, so...

Honestly I've just said "Wait and save the money till next year. You can't buy a laptop for $300." And it's especially stupid to buy a warranty on the drat thing.

Since your gf is a photographer and artist I'd compare the recommended requirements for software she does or may use like Photoshop or something else to the available laptops in that price range. I'd assume that they will fall well below the recommended level and therefore not be suited for her work. Also, if she does art that does or could use a stylus of some kind, a touch screen that handles an active stylus may also be useful and there aren't many decent ones on lower end laptops that I'm aware of. It also may help to show her mother some examples of laptops that would meet the requirements so that she may better understand what the acceptable price range is going to end up. If her mother isn't very tech savvy then explaining the requirements for the hardware versus what she's looking at in her price range may help.

Ultimately your goal is to be appreciative that her mother wants to help her out, but to prevent her from frivolously spending on something that doesn't do what is needed. She could always consider putting the money aside in some interest bearing account like a money market account or buy some bonds or something as a way of helping out more in a year or so if that's her goal, or find something else within her price range that would be useful (camera stuff, art stuff, etc).

I find that folks who aren't willfully ignorant about technology are often just not up on what's current and therefore don't understand what the hell a "i5" versus a "celeron" even are, nor have a frame of reference to compare them. So if that's the case then a little bit of informed education may help. This is also why tech manufacturers like to keep things simple when they can by just incrementing numbers. The didgeridoo 9 is clearly better than the didgeridoo 8 because it's one more!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The Iron Rose posted:

I mean good news the budget is now 500 bucks but it has to be from office depot on black friday. And neither my girlfriend nor I are going to get down there.

Are there any computers decently specced in that price range I can toss out as possible buys? Just so if one shows up she (her mom) can get one that isn't a complete piece of poo poo?

It's possible there'll be a black friday deal on something that will not be total rear end that will put it down to that price, but since she's being so rigid about requirements I'd just be rigid in return on specs. No AMD processors. An Intel i5 minimum. 8gb of ram minimum. Certain screen resolution (I won't use below 1600x900 but I'm picky and like screen resolution for programming, etc, you could tell her "1080" because literally every screen is called HD now). She may end up with something that's mostly plastic and won't hold up but at least with those specs it will be useful. As the OP noted:

Hadlock posted:

So, you walked in to this thread with the nice, round number of $500. Well I have good and bad news for you, the bad news is that inflation has had an impact on the minimum cost for a quality laptop. The good news is that retailers know this and are lining up around the block to sell you a substandard disposable laptop for $499. Do you have the willpower to make the right decision? Well, do ya punk?

Generally, go $600 or go home. Intel has identified $600 as the price point where manufacturers can build a quality machine with acceptable performance for the consumer at a price/profit ratio that the manufacturer can make a profit without going broke and the consumer gets a machine that won't break before you get it home and out of the box.

... so with regular pricing out of the window there a sale will be the best bet. It's not impossible but it may be challenging.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Grundulum posted:

The last time I messed around with laptop innards was years ago, and a basic google search suggests things have changed, but just for my own edification:

If I buy a laptop with a non-SSD, is changing over to an SSD as simple as opening it up and putting in the new drive? Will most laptops (if need be, narrow it down to the Thinkpad line) check at startup for specific hardware identification numbers, or am I good to go once I have the OS installed on the new drive and the new drive installed in the laptop?

Alternately, I could just place a second (solid state) drive in a second bay if the chassis supports it, and tell my
BIOS to look there first for boot information, yes?

At present, Lenovo wants $230 to upgrade from a spinning-platter drive to a 256GB SSD, which seems like highway robbery when the workarounds look to be easy.

It varies from laptop to laptop but most of them are very easy to swap the hard disk in. In general they don't come with two hard disk drive mounts but some have mSATA or m.2 slots that are secondary drive mounts that can handle SSDs. Some also have an bay that you can swap the optical drive out of for another hard disk (again, varies from laptop to laptop).

As long as you get a laptop that's not crazy difficult to change the hard disk in then swapping is simple. For most it's one to four screws on the bottom of the laptop, then you slide out the disk, mount the new one in the drive holder thingy and slide it back in.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Grundulum posted:

Physically, yes. I was referring more to the possibility that I replace the disk and the laptop does nothing but screech at me because the original hard disk isn't in there any more. (That's what happened the last time I tried to change the RAM in a laptop.)

You'll have to either image your old disk to the SSD or install the operating system again from a flash drive or install dvd but it shouldn't have any problem booting from the new disk. I think only apple tries to lock down their hardware from accepting third party replacements, and as far as I know it's not really that locked down. In most PC laptops the BIOS isn't very different from a desktop so you can choose your boot order. Right now in my T420 I have the main disk as a SSD in the hard disk slot with Windows 7 and I got an adapter for the ultrabay that takes 2.5" laptop hard disks so I have the old HD in that with Windows 10 technical preview that I play around with. If I need an optical drive I shut down and pop out the ultrabay and put the dvd-rw back in. I can either do a boot select from the bios while booting or setup dual booting with a bootloader for dual boot. I know that's not what you're trying to achieve but I'm mentioning it because it works essentially the same as a desktop, the main difference being that you only get a specific set of places to put disks in a laptop instead of 4 or 6 sata ports and a drive cage like in a desktop.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

damastas posted:

I'm looking at this laptop too. It's pretty much exactly what I want (high quality keyboard, durable, swap in the ultrabay battery for longer life, CHEAP) except for the 1366x768 resolution. Been scouring sites for the last hour trying to find a T420 with 1600x900 resolution around the same price with no joy. The problem is there is a ton of T420 refurbs for sale that don't list resolution at all. How in TYOOL 2014 is maximum resolution left out of a laptop specs page?

If you find one, please share.

I ended up buying a T420 from Arrow on ebay a few months back. I got a 1600x900 one with 8gb of ram. Arrow is a company that refurbishes business computers and resells them. I ended up bidding to get a lower price, but my total was around $270 after shipping and tax (bid was $248.50). In comparison, all of the buy-it-nows I could find for similar models with the higher res screen were over $300. I did have to return the first one they sent me due to some weird random power offs but they were really easy to work with and provided me a shipping label to return it. I did settle for a B-grade refurb with minor wear but it ended up being in good condition.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thin...=item462d0721d4
is one of their auctions and:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thin...403152852&rt=nc
is another one.

My seller was shop-arrow-direct but they're both the same company afaik.

If you need specific features be sure to read the auction. My auction said may or may not contain bluetooth unit. The first one I got did not have bluetooth but the second one did.

Being holiday season you may have less luck than I did on auctions, since more people have off work and looking to buy stuff, but it never hurts to keep an eye on a few auctions at once if you keep track of their end times and have a decided price in mind. On ebay I find sniping the final price most successful at about 8 seconds before the auction ends, but it's no guarantee.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

damastas posted:

Thanks goon. Just sniped and won the first laptop that you linked, it was my first time ever actually bidding on something instead of Buy It Now and it was kind of exhilarating. I can see how people can get addicted to that stuff. All I need to do now is buy a SSD and a ultrabay battery for it. Any good sources for where to find one? All of my amazon and ebay foo is finding ultrabay batteries for T420s and i's that say specifically not compatible with T420's.

EDIT: Even a model number would be nice for the Ultrabay battery for T420.

EDIT2: Looks like the bay battery is a T420s only thing? Should have researched it more. Regardless, what I need is about 5 hours minimum battery life and that seems to be what the T420 6 cell gets. Any experience with the 9 cell?

I haven't tried an ultrabay battery or a larger battery myself but if you need a second disk in the ultrabay this adapter works great for my T420:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EAHB6V6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After I had a working laptop I ran the lenovo battery checker on it. At one point they recalled old thinkpad batteries and I figured it was worth a shot to see if I could get a new one, but mine was ineligible. http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/hf004122

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Michael Scott posted:

Any consensus for a couple models that are generally seen as the best ultrabooks without spending unlimited $$$? I want something relatively future-proof that won't break the bank, and it seems that's difficult to find.

I'm finding unimpressive heavy laptops with 2+ year old CPU architectures for close to $1000, obviously I'm doing something wrong. If I'm getting something for $1k, I want it to be an ultrabook.

Also, a stupid question: How come some i7s, such at i7-4500U, are dual-core? I thought everything was supposed to be quad-core these days?

I like the i7 Dell XPS 12 (currently $1200), but it has an i7-4500U.

Mobile CPUs are different than desktop ones. For the lower power mobile CPUs, the i3, i5 and i7 are all dual core and just operate at different speeds for the most part. They do have hyperthreading which helps. There are quad core i7 mobile CPUs available but they tend to only come in the more expensive workstation or :pcgaming: laptops.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

damastas posted:

So I just got my T420 delivered to my doorstep. Won the auction on Sunday, delivered today. Wow fast shipping.

I can't believe I was considering a T440 or T440s for $1000+. This refurbed T420 has a few minor scratched (like, barely noticable) and the touchpad is discolored in areas that it has been used. Already swapped a cloned SSD into it, cold start time with an SSD and 8 gb of RAM is about 10 seconds.

I paid $270 for this. It even came with a 9 cell battery, windows reports 6 hours of run time with 70% remaining. I'm really glad I checked out this thread when that woot sale was going on, otherwise I would have never even considered a T420.

Pretty impressed, many thanks to the goons that helped me with this decision.

You're welcome. I got one myself for a portable work PC and I've found it does exactly what I need as an IT contractor who's going to be in different places all of the time fixing random routers and desktops and whatever. I can burn dvds, I can turn the wireless off and on with the side switch, and most importantly I can have it out of my bag and running the programs I need to use in under a minute (with a SSD). 1600x900 and 8gb of ram are also useful because I do a little programming on it. I'm hoping it lasts 5+ years even though it's already 2 years old.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

space marine todd posted:

I know the OP says $640 is the new $500, but my work's budget for a 13"-14" laptop is $500. It needs to have enough horsepower to handle Adobe Connect (a Flash online videoconference/presentation program) and Google Docs.

Pretty much anything that's not best buy garbage tier will do that. Do you have any more requirements?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

spog posted:

5400 rpm HDD is pretty slow and going to have a very negative affect on performance , right?

Looking at a sony vaio e1512c6ew for <£300 on eBay.

Yeah they're really common in laptops but they're pretty bad. Replacing one in a cheap laptop with a SSD will make it into a much better laptop.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

EAB posted:

Do they have laptops with external GPUs yet? I remember that being a thing that was being showcased a few years back... wonder if it has actually ever come to market in any form.

I'm looking to upgrade gaming laptops, since this Lenovo Y400 is a low quality piece of donkey poo poo [you get what you pay for] but gently caress, I hate buying gaming laptops since theyre so expensive for the given performance, but I have no choice really with this lifestyle.

Yeah there was a recently announced alienware one. It looks goofy and I'm not sure it's really more portable than a mini-itx system but here ya go:
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/193000-the-alienware-graphics-amplifier-finally-desktop-quality-graphics-on-your-laptop

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ZenVulgarity posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-15-6-A...rc=1&rmvSB=true

This seems like a pretty decent all arounder for $300

For a low end laptop it's got okay specs but I was able to get a refurbished Thinkpad T420 for less that had a 1600x900 screen with the same 8GB of RAM. The acer would be better at gaming but for work I'd prefer the Thinkpad. The thinkpad will probably also not fall apart in a couple of years.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Mills posted:

I'm looking to buy a laptop that will run Skype and Hearthstone as well as Netflix to my TV via an HDMI cable. As such, I think my minimum requirements are an HDMI port and I don't care one fig about the screen size. Is there anything I'm missing that I should look out for or can I just walk into my local electronics store and get the cheapest thing that satisfies this and probably do OK?

For the most part the cheapest thing will do this. Even a tablet will skype and hearthstone and stream netflix if it supports HDMI output. I think with a chromecast or otg to hdmi adapter even my nexus 7 2013 would handle these tasks, although I find hearthstone less annoying with a mouse (but the tablet can do that, too).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

signalnoise posted:

Yes you basically just clone the drive and it works, but I would also like to know if there's a preferred software for this. I've been using Acronis TrueImage.

If you don't mind linux boot disks there's CloneZilla. If you want to do the imaging in Windows (and with a UI that makes it easier) there's a few programs, but we generally recommend Macrium Reflect Free or the Samsung migration tool (for Samsung SSDs).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

mad_Thick posted:

I'm thinking about getting this Asus Transformer:

http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-T...ransformer+Book

There seems to be a ton of different ones on Amazon for some wacky prices. This one seems like the best for the price.

I've used the T100A a bit because a business I do work for bought a bunch of them for folks to look at pdfs on. The touch screen is good, the touchpad is bad. It runs normal stuff decently but when you do things like windows updates they take forever, probably because of the 2gb of RAM. Hopefully Windows 10 is well supported on them. You get one USB port while the keyboard is attached and it's got a micro-hdmi port for video output. So it could be better but it could definitely be a lot worse. The fact that it comes with Windows and Office helps a lot.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I like the serious business look of the thinkpad. The fisher price-esque rainbow logo seems a little off here, though. Otherwise, I'm down, I just got a 420 last year and it's been great.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Turds in magma posted:

Does this seem like a particularly good deal? http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dfh&cs=22&puid=56c4bcbc
The dell outlet doesn't seem to have the "Crazy" deals that the lenovo one does. BUT, there are very few thinkpads with i7's on the lenovo outlet.

I just get an error page, it's not displaying what you were looking at. The outlet often has good deals, though.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hadlock posted:

Yeah my laptop takes loving forever to go in to hibernate, is this not the case for everyone? Hibernate on my Thinkpad is a multi minute process. Stock Win7 Pro install.

The solar panel comment is to demonstrate how absolutely low power devices laptops have become.

My T420 with an Intel 530 SSD takes about 15 seconds to hibernate. It takes almost a full minute to come back from hibernate, though. It might be better on a newer model or with something newer than Windows 7, possibly. Resuming from Hibernate actually seems to take as long or longer as booting up, which is kind of stupid.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Gobbeldygook posted:

This was the hard drive in a t410s.

I am trying to get the data off of it. I have this set of adapters and none of them fit. What kind of adapter do I need to buy?

Your image isn't showing up but it's most likely SATA so your adapter should work in the "2.5" sata to USB2.0" configuration.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Any suggestions on where to buy a t420 refurb? There's no shortage of sellers but I was wondering if there's any goon recommended. I'm not opposed to doing my own upgrades on the SSD/RAM as long as I can recycle the license (and there's cost or performance justifications to doing so). Whole thing would preferably come in under $350.

I got mine on ebay from Arrow Direct. I had to return the first one due to issues that caused it to crash but they paid for the return and replaced it very quickly with no problems. It's been a solid buy since then and when I bought it they had a lot of the 1600x900 screen with 8gb of RAM models available. Arrow is a big business that resells off lease computer equipment and they seem to be big enough that they will make a sale right and replace things if they have to. I believe goons have also bought laptops recently from refurb.io and had good experiences.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Thank you! A couple of quick followup questions 1) the arrow direct listings don't show screen resolution, how did you tell before you ordered? 2) the have a wide range of prices for what appear to be pretty much the same computer/condition grade, is there anything I should on the look out for?

When I purchased mine I made sure to look for screen resolution. If a listing doesn't say what res it is I'd assume it's 1366x768 which for me is not high res enough. 1600x900 is a lot more usable in my opinion, so I'd just look for one that specifies it or skip the listing all together. Unfortunately I see what you're saying, it doesn't seem to mention screen resolution on either the Arrow website or their ebay listings anymore.

I wasn't super concerned with it looking brand new so I went for a B-grade unit. The first one I got was obviously used before (I mean it's refurbished by arrow after all) and the keyboard was a bit worn but it looked fine for a previously owned laptop. The second one I got was in very good shape, it looks almost new. I assume someone had been using it in a docking station for a couple of years. If I was concerned about a little wear I'd probably go for the A-Grade units that are likely to be closer to "like new" condition. Bother models included a valid windows 7 pro COA on the bottom of the case. They had previously used COAs under the battery with different numbers that they said not to use (presumably they were from the original laptop deployment).

I'd definitely avoid buying from Arrow if they won't show you a screen resolution. You may want to give them a call and see if you can order one directly with the specs you want or find out more information. They sent me a promotional email yesterday that lists their number as:
open 8 to 5 EDT.
The same email had a checkout code ARROW from their website with 10% off for the T420 and some other models.

quote:

The ArrowDirect September Sell off is going on all month. Extra savings on Lenovo T420, Dell E6420, HP 8440P, and HP 8460P plus there are super cheap Core 2 Duo Desktops. Use coupon "ARROW" at checkout Shop notebooks.

I'd never dealt with them before so there are likely other decent sellers, I just had a good transaction despite having to have the first laptop replaced under warranty. If they're not going to list the full specs though, I'd probably just go with another seller. It's been a bit over a year since I got my T420 and the only issue that's cropped up is that the battery only lasts an hour or so. That's pretty normal for an older laptop, though, and replacements are $30-40.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Moddington posted:

So, my Thinkpad's wireless card is dead (doesn't even show up in `lspci` any more), and I don't know how to proceed. Normally I'd be able to figure this out myself, but there's almost no guidance online that I can find, aside from the knowledge that there's an undisclosed whitelist of wireless cards in the BIOS that I have to abide by somehow. I guess I could just go with the same model as it came with, but I'm a bit worried that I'll just end up in the same spot another year down the road.

The laptop is a ThinkPad Edge E540, and this is the wireless card:

I'd probably just buy the same one and swap it out as a first step. It could be an issue with the connector or the motherboard, but those will be a lot more expensive and harder to figure out.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

rizuhbull posted:

Got a stupid question here: I recently purchased a T420, but I can't seem to get the NVIDIA NVS 4200M GPU to activate.

As I understand it; the laptop has two GPUs, Intel HD Graphics 3000 and NVIDIA NVS 4200M. The former saves battery power and the latter is more powerful. I installed the driver (http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-T-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-T420/downloads/DS014142) and the manual just says "If your computer supports NVIDIA Optimus Graphics, the Graphics Processing Unit is switched automatically depending on the settings of the power plan you use."

I've read some posts on various forums saying it switches automatically, but Hearthstone runs like garbage so I find that hard to believe, at least in my case. I've also read you need to switch it on in the BIOS, but there is no option for it. Under DISPLAY it just has LCD, VGA, etc. No mention of either GPU anywhere I can find. Should also mention I'm running W7 64-bit.

Not all T420 models have the additional GPU. Yours may not unless it was specifically mentioned in the listing. Mine doesn't have the nvidia GPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

AbsolutZeroGI posted:

So, my kid has been wanting a gaming laptop for ages. He likes to play games like league of legends, Skyrim, and team fortress 2.

Would this be good for that? Or is there something I can get that's better?

How swole is your kid?