Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I've come back to this after some friends picked it up in the steam sale (one of them got a bunch of preorder bonuses too, the jammy sod).

I am still loving terrible at it. Can I get anywhere in the late game with shotguns? I got as far as Beseiged Farmlands with shotgun/elemental, but beyond that I just get my poo poo caved in almost instantly. Even going back to Egypt to do the issue 6 missions is a loving slog at times. My build is all about strikes and crits, with weakness & defensive turret for damage reduction and inferno & hurly-burly for aoe.

OneEightHundred posted:

- Aim for about 3000 max HP.
I have 5627 max HP. I'm lacking damage, aren't I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

guppy posted:

The issue missions are generally meant for endgame QL10 people, even if they're set earlier. Don't feel bad if you have trouble with them, although many of them you aren't meant to have to fight through. (Like the first one you're supposed to use the bombs, the second one you're supposed to sneak.)

Your build is probably the biggest source of your problems, although you do probably give up too much damage with that much HP. Pop in Mumble and we'll see if we can't sort you out.

I popped on mumble a couple of times but there was nobody about, is it still the same server as it was at launch?

Anyway, I managed to rejig my build to work with penetration instead of crit and it's much, much better, even without a full set of pen/hit glyphs. I managed to finish Last Train to Cairo tonight, though the last mission took me bloody forever because I kept jumping off the train. Subpar Mario Brothers represent! :v:

guppy posted:

There's a "Reconstructor," which repairs your gear and everyone else's in your group with an hour cooldown, so you don't have to go find a vendor to do it, but you still have to pay for the repairs.

Despite your sage advice about saving veteran points, I spent the 30 I had on the Reconstructor. I faceplanted off that train infinity times.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Thanks to HughGRect's sage advice, I managed to reach the next mission in issue 7's chain via the ancient tradition of taking off all my gear and running like gently caress past the nasty men who were blocking my path in Carpathian Fangs. If anyone else got that far and was getting murdered by orange pillocks, I advise you to do the same.

I have to say I've been super impressed with the quality of the issues so far.

Edit: Where do I go to spend sequins of Transylvania?

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jul 23, 2013

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

HughGRect posted:

Shadowy forest in the dracalesti trailer park.

There's not much on there that seems worth buying, should I just spend them on those crazy grab bags?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

HughGRect posted:

This is a leveling build for an alt, so it won't work against nightmare QL10 mobs which are immune to hinders.

When I first started playing, I saw Close Quarters and thought "That looks great", started making a beeline for it, then got told "Not worth the investment, everything is immune to hinders later on". I finally picked it up yesterday because I had a mission where the nightmare mobs were not only susceptible to hinders, but you actually had to hinder them or they dealt +50% damage to you.

Most fun combat I've had in a while, circle strafing around trying not to pull extra packs or patrols.

tldr: Everyone should rush Close Quarters and enjoy it while it lasts. Don't reach QL10 like I did and wonder what could have been.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Len posted:

Don't listen to this post at all. The worst advice ever right here.

It's not good for levelling builds then? Because some of the stuff you can build around it looks very strong.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

orcane posted:

Oh it also has an internal cooldown.

Frankenstein Dad posted:

The internal cooldown is so short that it goes away before the enemy can get back into range
As far as I can tell, there's no internal cooldown on the ability, what you're seeing is diminishing returns - when cc is applied, for the next 15 seconds any cc of the same type has a reduced duration. I think it's full duration, then half, then quarter, then immune. Once 15 seconds has passed since the first effect was applied, everything goes back to normal.

Close Quarters obviously suffers a little because of this system, but it's not as bad as you might think - it seems that a second hinder isn't applied if the previous effect is still on, so even if you're attacking every second, you still get the full 7 seconds of cc before they go immune. Also from what I can tell, even though it doesn't technically apply a new hinder when one is in effect, it still triggers passives as if it did. Maybe. I should really go to a target dummy and check properly.

Obviously you shouldn't rush for Close Quarters if you're not using shotguns, and you also shouldn't use hyperbole in forum posts. :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Vanderdeath posted:

I just got my bonus 1200 points. Should I use them on Issue 6 or Issue 7?

If you haven't finished the story missions in Transylvania yet, go for Issue 6 - they assume you've finished the story in their respective zones (Egypt for 6, Transylvania for 7).

I guess I'm in the minority, but I think I enjoy 6 more than 7. Not that 7 isn't fantastic.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Pinely posted:

Issue 7, IIRC, has more dailies (5 vs. 3).

I think it's only 4 dailies for issue 7 - either that or they've put one on a different npc and I don't know about it.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Speaking of chat channels, is there a way to stop every message in LFG showing up a dozen times? Or better yet, a way to make the game actually do as it's told when you turn LFG off?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Some of the ability names are ace, but none have tickled me as much as "Blood for the Blood Dog" in Darkness War. Simple things, eh? :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Len posted:

Why don't pubbies want TSW to have bugs fixed?

Are they all campaigning for something else to be fixed/added as a higher priority? Cause if not, that's just mystifying.

The devs could really do with fixing some of the stuff that's been broken since launch, like the "kill 10 dudes" mission in Fusang - after eons of speculation about what conditions are required for you to get credit, when I was in there yesterday there were only 3 templars in the zone, they were all in the same group as me and I still wasn't getting credit for most of the kills. At least twice though I got credit for killing a guy who died on the other side of a wall that I hadn't even seen, let alone hit. :iiam:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Deceptive Thinker posted:

/stuck only works when you're not actually stuck - seriously, try it

It told me I wasn't stuck. :confuoot:

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 31, 2013

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Len posted:

I figure it's a past event especially after (dlc spoiler) issue 6 unless whoever Saiid sold the bomb to sent it to the future.

That plus when you wake up after swallowing the bee during the intro, isn't the radio talking about the terrorist attack in Tokyo? It's always seemed pretty clear to me that it's already happened and I took it to be the reason so many people suddenly swallowed magic bees in their sleep - the earth is trying to defend itself.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

OneEightHundred posted:

You can't use it in combat.
Why on earth not? What is any mob going to do to you that's worse than dying and taking durability damage?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

HughGRect posted:

Your asking too much of the game engine, it gets confused when it is asked to do one or more things at once.

I'm pretty sure it gets confused when it's not asked to do any things at all too.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Not So Fast posted:

Man, haven't you ever heard of a double bluff?

That's some true window into madness poo poo, though I'd love to know what part this:

Plays in the Illuminati's sinister scheme. Unless all the Kermits each speak a different vision of the future? For gently caress's sake, I bet this is exactly how Kyoon got started.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I'm seeing a lot of people in that Orochi armour from issue 7, though I can't figure out why it's so popular. With Orochi's track record, they should've just put in a clown costume.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Mate of mine finished issue 7 for the first time today, then managed to take another mission before he turned in the extra "free 10.1 gear" mission. Anyone know offhand how he gets that back?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

rantmo posted:

:aaa: Now I'm going to have to trek back (:v:) to that camp to listen to him again.

He's also the guy who narrates Darkness War I think. Joe something?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Zerotheos posted:

Excuse me, I have to rant about this game for a second. I've been playing through this with a small group of friends. gently caress solo instances. It seems like this game is designed in many ways for small group co-op and even the difficulty of standard enemies really feels like you want to group. Then they go and throw in random solo instances that completely disrupt your ability to group and play a role. Collecting healing gear so you can pocket heal your group of friends as you do missions? Whelp, now you're hosed because you have to go into this cave and kill a billion mothmen by yourself.

Yeah, the solo instances are a bloody stupid idea in a multiplayer game. Though I had great fun trying to talk two of my mates through Sins of the Father when we reached it as a group last week, because I am legitimately terrible at giving instructions. Apparently "Activate the computer first, then the switch, then the other computer." is vague and unhelpful - I knew what I meant. :colbert:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Len posted:

Reporting bugs is apparently trolling. This guy does not like me.

If it's any consolation, I don't like him. I can imagine his smug loving face when he came up with an exciting new way to spell "darkside" and I want to punch it.

Is this the official forums you're hanging around being hated on?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Len posted:

This guy has in his signature the line "I am not a nice person" so you KNOW he's an incredibly smug person.

Wow. He's so edgy I bet he's invisible to radar.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Len posted:

Apparently they're worth a lot of pax in the AH right now but I've never looked and Cheston won't tell me how much he sold his for.

Not sure if you mean the kits or the unopened bags, but I've been getting half a mil for the latter.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

The Locator posted:

E: I try to remember to rejoin 'awful' in game after zoning - IGN is TheLocator

Create a folder called "scripts" inside your game's install folder and add two text files called "auto_login" and "auto_teleport", no file extensions (so not "auto_login.txt"). Both files should contain the following:
code:
delay 5000
/chat join awful
/chat list #awful
That'll put you in the channel and tell you who else is there whenever you start the game or change zones.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

The Locator posted:

That's the mission. I did not delete it, so I should still have it. Thanks for the heads up.

There's a lot of stuff from missions that you can't delete, despite it having no discernable use afterwards, my bank has a bunch of old quest items in it. Stands to reason the one thing you can get repeated use out of wouldn't be flagged as indestructible. Because funcompetence.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

The Locator posted:

They look stupid, other than that, nothing.

I saw the thing to make it look like another weapon, but need more coins to do that.

If you're still at the point where the gear from that vendor is useful, it's not really worth spending sequins on casting kits. If you've got nothing else to spend them on, then by all means go nuts but be aware that they're a one-use item and depending on how fast you play/how many dungeons you run with goons, you might not have the weapon for long anyway.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Brain In A Jar posted:

At the time I ran it, I had little to no healing skills bought, and when you get into the end gauntlet there's no break for passive healing, so you're basically screwed if you're not carrying potions.

There's a lot of gauntlets like that throughout the game. A good tip for potions is to the craft leech versions (the ones you make with fire). While all the other kinds get less useful as you gain more health, the leech ones restore a percentage of the damage you deal, so the versions made with lower quality ingredients are still effective as you level up. :science:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

VanillaRose posted:

After speaking with a friend, my husband and I are interested in trying TSW. Does anyone have a couple of trial keys to spare, please? :)

XTNNNWNMVN8NN2UU75AG
58HZRK83QXRNFBNNQN8R

Enjoy.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

regulargonzalez posted:

Hey thanks!

e: er, where do I enter this? The official website wants cc info before letting me download, and Steam doesn't recognize the key

If you've created a profile on the official site there should be an "enter key" thing in the bar on the left I think. I can't say for sure because I'm phone posting.

Edit: Turns out the site works on my phone - "enter key" box is at the very bottom left of the page.

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 3, 2014

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Pinely posted:

Basically, TSW is a decent single player game with lovely mmo elements sloppily added on. Funcom should call it a day and release a single player title in the TSW universe.

Whoever put the original investigation missions together could probably do the best adventure game ever. Also, you're right about only coming back when new content drops, though I didn't even do that for the last issue. I dunno about everyone else, but I feel like I keep this game installed for the same reason I still watch Walking Dead - what if one day they suddenly lived up to all that potential they've been squandering?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Fluegel posted:

Found myself a little overwhelmed by the ability/skill system at first, I assumed this game had a more traditional approach but after a little tinkering and trying out different weapons I've found that applying a shotgun and a hammer to zombies' faces is very fun. But just now, well, I just saw a guy blasting a sea horror with lightning and now I kinda wanna do that too. Is it advisable to splurge on new and exciting weapons? I've wasted quite a fair bit of AP already, trying out Swords and Chaos and whatnot. I'm still in Kingsmouth, AP seems to be coming in slow but steady. Should I be concentrating on just 2 weapons for the time being?
You can't really waste AP, since you'll eventually end up with the entire wheel unlocked anyway. If you want to try different things, you might as well go for it. What you definitely shouldn't do is try the classic mmo thing of rerolling to try different stuff - because the amount of AP you get from missions goes up drastically in later zones, it'll actually take you longer to get the skills you want to try on a new character.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

HughGRect posted:

Wait till you do that fight on nightmare, it's a fight people either love or hate.
That's the fucker with all the circles chasing you and poo poo, right? That is an amazing boss fight, I genuinely wish more mmos had bosses that fun. I also wish I wasn't so loving dire at it, every time I've gone near Captain Spirograph I get my poo poo ruined. :v:

Edit: VV the cleanup part doesn't bother me, it's one of the few times I get to feel good about being "shotguns 4 lyfe yo", or whatever the kids are saying these days.

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 11, 2014

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

AlphaDog posted:

Some of them are bullshit, but I mostly have trouble with the ones that involve obscure game mechanics - like how the gently caress am I supposed to realise that not only do I have to /emote at some statues but that /covereyes is an emote - but after that I realised that the game's going to do that sort of thing and it wasn't too bad.
I dunno if it was because I'd been caning the investigations that weekend but I tried emoting right away on that mission.

To bring the thread back around to Machine Tyrant chat, I finally got around to playing the Starcraft 2 expansion this week and the first boss fight is a massive robot that marks the floor with targets you have to avoid. Turns out I can avoid that poo poo all day long if I'm not using WASD to move around. :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Len posted:

The Illuminati handler is the generally accepted best handler. She has more personality than Sonnac and is just more fun (for me and others. Although Cheston and Raiser will stand by Dragon) than the Dragon handler.
I know I'm in the minority, but I genuinely like Sonnac's budget suave. I don't know why.

Len posted:

The story bits are pretty good and you can tell Ragnar really thought out the world before leaving it in the hands of The rear end in a top hat.
I was watching a documentary on ancient egypt last night and I learned that Akhenaten was an actual pharaoh, known as the Heretic Pharaoh because he rejected polytheism and worshipped only Aten, the sun disc. I'd assumed he was just someone they'd made up for the game but no, it turns out I was learning history without realising it. Well played Ragnar.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

twistedmentat posted:

One item I keep getting any have no idea what to do with are the items that are for some kind of play, I don't really understand that.
You can put on your own stage productions in London. I think that's what they're for anyway, I've never actually tried to use them because the barrier that's traditionally kept me from directing plays has never been a lack of props. What I'm saying is they're kind of a niche item.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/game_director_letter_january_2014

I suppose I should get off my arse and actually loving finish Transylvania before Tokyo arrives. Though I'm sure I've got a while yet.

Edit: I apparently picked the greatest loving moment to stop playing for months, my story mission just says "Find the One". Anyone got a non-spoilerish hint for me? It's Mortal Sins tier 24.

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 3, 2014

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

macnbc posted:

This thread has non-spoilerish hints progressing til the answer.
Cheers, I figured it was one of those "you'll find him when you find him" jobs and was about to start visiting every mission giver marked on the map.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Well I finished the story, it was a little underwhelming, I have to say. I'm curious to know what happens if you don't piss off that disembodied voice at every opportunity, but I'm hosed if I'm playing it through again just to find out what was in the prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

A bit of googling or youtube should find you the other ending video(s).
God only knows why I didn't think of that. I've started a second character anyway because you lot never shut up about the Illuminati and I have to ask, when did they change the opening cinematic?

• Locked thread