Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

x-posting from the daily thread is ok, right? If I have to choose, I will move my posting here tho as I do nothing digital. I could not post here before I read the entire thread, which I powered through over the weekend...

Spend the weekend in Minsk, Belarus. I am really getting into this urban sketching vibe and I like it. Watercolor is an amazing medium for this and the more I do it, the more relaxed my lines and strokes get. The pie, for example, was done in less than 10 minutes as my wife wanted to start eating it. The two castles were done during the Urban Sketchers Minsk meetup. This was my first time every drawing with others in an organised way, it was way more fun than I thought. It is like a social event for introverts!

Yes this all goes on instagram and drawing your food and then posting the drawing plus the subject is the most hipster thing I ever did, Instagramming with additional steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Can I multipost if this is from another day?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Not sure where else to post this, but for reasons of bad impulse control I was subscribed to multiple art boxes and now I have all these things I will never ever use. My employer is covering the shipping costs so I can give away a few boxes of random stuff and ship them where ever in the world. The only real compensation would be posting the artwork you make with the random box here in this thread.

Right now it seems I have the following themes (to prevent them from getting too random):
- 2x alcoholic markers
- 1x colored pencils
- 1x posca pens galore
- 1x oil paints, can't give this to my niece
- 1x some weird markers
- The leftovers box

All boxes will be stuffed with pencils, erasers and assorted paper not necessarily related to the included materials until full or reached max weight of 1900 gramme after which world wide shipping becomes crazy. Post here if you wat to call dibs on a box and send me a PM with your address. Thank you for helping me clean up.

click here for a super high res picture Warning: I am keeping some things here, but only a little bit. Please don't ask for specific materials, it is supposed to be somewhat of a random box and my niece might want the Chameleon fineliners.

edit: it is ok to request a specific box.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 18, 2019

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Keetron posted:

Not sure where else to post this, but for reasons of bad impulse control I was subscribed to multiple art boxes and now I have all these things I will never ever use. My employer is covering the shipping costs so I can give away a few boxes of random stuff and ship them where ever in the world. The only real compensation would be posting the artwork you make with the random box here in this thread.

Ahem...

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Invite link: https://discord.gg/25e2VpE
There is an artober channel with a series of prompt lists in there.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

It is nice, you done well.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I am curious what you mean with this. The inking? The daily production? The person behind it? Everything?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

On the CC discord we are doing art-tober with a variety of lists, some of us are following the botober list and the results are pretty sweet.
Now Lowtax is no longer associated with the forums, I'll likely post here more often and at the end of the month I'll do an effort post with all results.

edit: I forgot, this discord is not part of the GDN but it is full of goons: https://discord.gg/25e2VpE

Keetron fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 11, 2020

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

dog nougat posted:

Huh, I imagine it's might be a bit more difficult to stretch since you'd need 3 hands to hold the canvas, a hammer, and a tack. I wrap my canvas all the way around an fix it from behind anyway. Normally I paint the sides of my canvas as a continuation of the main painting so I don't have to deal with framing. This one will go in a frame cuz I have it already, plus I feel like a portrait needs a frame.

He uses a hammer witth a magnet...

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Sab669 posted:

https://drawabox.com/

I'm no artist, I just like to look at talented goons' submissions here but when I've tried to learn to draw I liked this website. Free lessons, and a pretty good youtube channel that explains a lot of the theory and talks about how to practice and things like that. They also have a subreddit (/r/ArtFundamentals) where you can submit photos of your 'homework' and get critique / feedback.

Please do not start with drawabox, it is not something that is very enjoyable although it is very effective at gaining skills you did not know you missed. But not recommended for beginner artists. Grab whatever tools you think you will enjoy and go for it. Just keep in mind that of all the artwork you see on the internets that it a) is self-curated, you see only the best stuff one makes and b) it can takes years and years to get to very high levels. So please do not measure yourself against the masters, join a group of noobs and enjoy making art with them.

You can join us in the CC discord, there are a lot of people there of all skill levels.
https://discord.gg/25e2VpE

Sab669 posted:

I've always felt like I had an aptitude for art/drawing, but man I have such a hard time putting in the effort because I absolutely hate/am disappointed with everything I draw. So hard to stay motivated practicing.
This is completely normal and learning to not hate your art is a skill in itself that can be trained. Going from "I hate my stuff" to "My stuff sucks and here is why" is actually not that hard but you might need help. See the above discord!

Keetron fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 15, 2021

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Superb work as usual dupersaurus.

Some outside drawing.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

Where do you live, I've been lobbying my parks department to put in municipal sex swings for years and they keep saying no!

Amstelveen, Netherlands.

6/46 36+10 views of Mt Fuji

A little blog post about it here: http://catropy.com/

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Quetzalcoatl, The Feathered Serpent

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

HopperUK posted:

ooo what did you do the black lines with? This is lovely.

In this case a pentel pocket brush but more common I use a Kuratake 50 sable brush pen filled with a platinum carbon ink using a converter. The pentel ink is waterproof but needs a bit of a drying time, the carbon ink is waterproof as well but is dry as soon as it loses the gloss. Also, the pentel uses cartridges. Final difference: the pentel brush is synthetic, the kuratake is sable, so a bit softer and I think a smoother ink flow. If you cannot find either, I have been contemplating doing this with a brush and india ink but the convenience of the brush pens is hard to beat.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

HopperUK posted:

I love using india ink with my dip pen but there's no real line weight variation possible because it's just a glass dip pen. I might break out a brush though. Thanks!

One tip: dedicate a brush to it and be sure to rinse it out well after use, provided you want to use it more than once. I would recommend a sable no1 brush and some tape on it to mark it.
Fun fact: all inking in Calvin and Hobbs was done using a no1 sable brush and india ink.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

That is really nice, especially that tree. Trees are hard and you nailed it.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

HopperUK posted:

Swan! Love gouache for highlights, my new favourite.

Nice swan!
I saw Marcel Bucci use white gouache mixed with some watercolor pigments and BOOM opaque watercolors, that way he always had the *ability* to make any color opaque if he wanted to.

little car I did for Meh-pril over at the (mostly) goon art discord:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Trabant posted:

Ah, gotcha. Then a wire sounds like it should work (I've made/mounted plenty of frames). The superglue... I don't know, I personally wouldn't trust it, mostly because I'd think it needs a decent surface area between the board and the wire.

My personal go-to for attaching the wire to the board would probably be something like those D-ring clips from the kit I linked. That assumes you're working with a thick enough board to allow for the screws though. If your board is too thin for screws but would allow small nails, maybe a sawtooth hanger to hang over a nail/screw in the wall? They're remarkably strong, at least in my experience:

-------------------------

Unrelated, a quick & dirty proof of a linocut (layer one of two). I tried to do some kind of shadow line between the dark and light areas of the wall, but it's too abrupt, too severe. I'll need to figure out how to create a smoother transition:

About hanging stuff, a sawtooth will still run you the risk of the panel being slightly crooked (in my experience) and if you have the opportunity to screw something in, just screw in two eyes and pull a wire?

---------------------
Unrelated but that print is yummy!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

HopperUK posted:

Quiet in here ain't it?

Many of us are in the goon art discord: https://discord.gg/25e2VpE
Lots of digital and few folk posting trad.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

Sorry for the double post, but after a few hours this evening it's a lot closer to being done, I'll probably stop here excepting any advice on things I should maybe focus on correcting/improving:

No worries about the double post and before we dive into this all I would like to ask you how long you have been drawing and painting?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

HopperUK posted:

Pretty! Reminds me of that famous 'wave' painting.

The great wave of Kanagawa, often listed as the first of the series 36 Views of Mt Fuji by Hokusai. A series that I am currently repainting in watercolors because sometimes you just need a project, you know.https://catropy.com/tag/mt-fuji/

On the blog listed there is more, I am currently at 8 I think?

Keetron fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 8, 2021

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Trabant posted:

My first proof was better than my "actual" print :negative:

I don't think I like layer-on-layer printing either, I must not have let the black dry enough (although the first layer dried 2 weeks so who the hell knows). Oh well. I'll print it again eventually, I lie to myself.

How about if I pay you for a second print and then you send it to me? There is already a bunch of goon art up on the walls, this will fit in nicely.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

HopperUK posted:

The paper is the main thing to spend on, if you're going to spend. Then paint, then brushes, I reckon.
yup, this is the way to go. Buy expensive cotton paper and be a very happy painter. Practice on smaller pieces if you fear throwing away money.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Zoben posted:

done now

Now that is a nice way to start a new page. Well done!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

nice and cool stuff. If you have such a volume, try selling on Etsy or some similar marketplace.
I know of very few trad artists who make a living out of it, for most it is some sort of fun money to supplement their (spouses) income.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

dupersaurus posted:

I'm showing at four holiday markets and one holiday popup store, so when I haven't been tearing my hair out printing old stuff (which promptly sold out), I made a few new things

Your prints are just really good, them selling out fast means you can increase the price.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

A joke thing I slapped together for the discord art dome, the theme being "Strange Deliveries":

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

For the discord we did a "draw a fetish" art dome and this is my entry.

The others are much, MUCH more what you'd expect.
https://discord.gg/25e2VpE

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

HopperUK posted:

I am off work this week and I'm determined to get some goddamn art done, I keep letting it slip away from me.

Oil paints - lose your temper and wrench it and end up somehow splitting the tube and now your paint is all stupid and there is a thin even layer of phthalo blue on everything you own. That's how I do it anyway.

1. Can I recommend sketch journalling? 10~15 mins every day, a small, direct to pen drawing of something in your surroundings and a short blurb (or not)?
2. re crusty paint cap: I was about to say more or less the same, but with more pliers and disappointment.

edit:
3. This is when I went to Brussels for a weekend recently: https://catropy.com/2022/03/22/weekend-to-brussels/ (it could be the certificate is not yet activated, I forgot to activate the yearly expiry, you'd almost think I'd do this stuff as a job)
4. poo poo, I have been eying Inktense pencils for a while now, this work might actually make me fold.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 2, 2022

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

HopperUK posted:

I'm trying to get into something like this yes! I have my sketchbook always on hand at my desk but I've ordered one a bit more portable that I can just keep with me all the time.

If you have trouble getting motivated, the book The Creative License helped me out a lot: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40168.The_Creative_License

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

Still going strong with these inktense pencils (don't recommend buying them from derwent though, same set is around $100 on amazon or in your local art supply store) and paint pens, here are the results of a manic creative phase I went through the other week and a couple things I've finished up in the last few days

popped in to say you made me buy pencils

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Made myself cry

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I am still looking for ways to use them, I have been trying a bit with dry application and then water it with a waterbrush.

deep dish peat moss posted:

ruined a couple copics in the process, because the alcohol reacted in weird ways with the water soluble ink :haw:

copics can provide you with new brush and bullet nibs, if they are really hosed.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Ravenicus posted:

Smol freehand I did with sumi ink.

stop making me buy more art supplies I dont need. Sooo, did you use a block or a bottle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Ravenicus posted:

Hey sorry, been busy. I used a bottle of sumi ink and painted with brushes. I don't have my traditional ink brushes around rn, so I just used some cheap brushes.
This is what I used. It's great, but it does have a heavy sheen. Almost all my paintings I end up either scanning or putting under glass, though, which removes the sheen. I honestly kinda like the sheen though, it makes it look glossy and fresh.

Here's a ballpoint pen freehand I did after seeing The Northman (which was GOATed). I know it's not really related to the movie in anyway, sometimes I just get sparks of ideas while watchin stuff, that I complete after.

Thank you for linking, I cant really find that ink anywhere near me however, not even through amazon so I can only get it with insane shipping so I'll use india ink, have two smaller bottles to empty first anyway.