Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread. I'm a dilettante when it comes to arts and crafts of any kind, but really dug a brief intro to linocut printmaking:

(I had Alien on the brain and no, these are definitely not original drawings)

so I think I'll dabble a bit. If anyone has tips for getting started, I'm all ears!

Also:

pixelbaron posted:

Have spent about 2 years recreating a 400 year old magic trick originally printed in Venice. I am finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel:

That is gorgeous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
^ Hey look, I just used my block carving tools too!

Wanted to make a wedding gift for friends and settled on a picture frame made of black palm and maple splines. Then figured it'd be dumb to give them an empty one, so why not make a print of the two of them and include it? I simply couldn't pull off a way to print their faces using any kind of tone techniques like hatching without making them look fantastically old, so I basically admitted defeat and settled on... contouring? I don't know what to call this, but it came out looking a bit comic book-style. Anyway:

I really need to work on my printing. The brayer-and-spoon technique sorta worked, but I really wish I could find a decent press for a price that won't make my eyes water.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Yup, you're right. I tried going the "simple" way and building one powered by a caulking gun, but the resulting print was terrible. I'm pretty confident I built it well enough, so either the gun I was using was somehow bad, or the plywood was warped as hell.

Harbor Freight sells a thing that is almost there. I just need to figure out a good way to mount the plates (and pray that the pig iron their tools use doesn't fold like an accordion).

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

dupersaurus posted:

Bottlejack press on hold due to new, more expensive medium

Is that walnut? Because that would indeed be expensive!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

dupersaurus posted:

Back at the bench after a little soul searching break. Trying out some new (to me) Japanese papers, too.

Still new to woodblocks, do I need to seal the wood first? I feel like I'm losing a good amount of ink to the grain.

That's wonderful! Having only done lino I can't offer woodblock advice, so just wanted to say it really looks great.

I need to go back to carving myself. Got fancy new tools and spent way more time building a box for them than using the things :negative:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

dupersaurus posted:

Could probably nit-pick this until the heat death of the universe, but I’m calling it. But it’s the first time I’ve really done a landscape, though, and I’m generally happy with all the textures.

That bit of hatching on the left was ill-advised. A little torn about the clouds but don’t know what I’d do with them.

I honestly don't know whether saying "here's how other people do it" is cool in art, but... here's a couple of examples of clouds in printmaking I thought were cool:

https://www.reddit.com/r/printmaking/comments/926m0c/orion_landing_blockprint/
https://www.reddit.com/r/printmaking/comments/8h7m9u/made_a_3_color_reduction_linocut_of_spacex_falcon/

But I like yours a lot!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Posting a really quick & dirty linocut proof in the hope it will keep me accountable to go back and make improvements:

Copied from Reference photo, from Shakespeare's best and most devastating play, King Lear. For once in my life, I actually wanted to flip the print horizontally -- in my brain, Lear enters from "house right left."

e: gently caress!

Trabant fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 19, 2019

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
My "OK, gently caress this, gently caress me, this is the best it'll get, I give up" print of the year:

I think I did OK with the carving, I just could not get this one to print well.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Angrymog posted:

Are you printing with a press, or by hand?

The printing itself was a combination of doing it by hand (Speedball baren, wooden spoon) and/or a copy press I restored earlier this year. The press actually worked great, but I think I tried too many different things with this fucker at once: new ink, new paper, press + hand. Should've run a proper design of experiments to figure out the best settings. I might revisit it some day, or just find someone local to re-teach me the printing part of the puzzle.

Thank you -- yours too!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thanks! I'm proud of that one, and frankly surprised at how well it came out.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Raaaaarrr:

It's a lino print! Could've been printed better! Still, I'll take it.

Depicted is the 1964 version of Godzilla attacking Austin (TX), specifically the dirty sixth street area downtown. As I posted in another thread, I have zero idea why I wanted to make a print of that in particular, but... here we are.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thanks! I'd be happy to do so, but need to be honest (mostly to myself) about two things:

(1) I'm not exactly thrilled with the quality of the prints I've been getting, namely the uneven coverage. I doubt a kiddo would notice/care, but it does lead me to...

(2) I don't think I'll do another round of prints for a week or two. If your son's still into Godzilla at that point, I'll definitely send you a print. Drop me a PM and I'll update you once I have something halfway decent ready to go.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Oh, I tried :negative: Wooden spoon, crappy Speedball baren, copy press, bone knife -- I've never been happy with the results.

At this point I'm reasonably confident that my problem is inconsistent/uneven ink coverage more than anything. Next time around I'll try to keep to multiple thinner layers, since that's apparently what works better with Caligo safe wash inks.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Zoben posted:

Album cover in progress

Just amazing :aaaaa:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
^ Between your posts here and in the SDS thread, I absolutely love and recognize your style :)

Not my design, just a linocut print reproduction of an anti-drug patch I saw online:

I wanted a print of it but it's apparently a one-of-one found object so I had to make my own version. Many hours later... :negative:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

sigma 6 posted:

Wow ... that's pretty... uh... dope?

Heh heh huh....

:haw:

Nice goblin!

Or is it a troll? I'm not good with imaginary creature taxonomy :ohdear:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Wanna go to that circus!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
A progress shot of the next in my budding "Kaiju attacking Austin, TX" lino series:

Also, I finally, sadly joined the club: this is the first time I drew blood while carving. :drac:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

I love your style! Makes me feel... warm, I think is the best way to put it.

On the other end of the spectrum, my quick & dirty proof of Kong yelling at Austin from top of the Frost Bank tower:

Need to clean up several places, but much better than I was hoping for.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Zoben posted:

Thanks! I post in like 3 - 4 threads for the most part, but I still come back and check to see if there are like....1-9 new posts if that :negative:

I dig that linocut, super cool! Speaking of SDS, it looks like it'd be a cool Eyehategod shirt. Linocuts are one of those things which I'd like to try my hand at, but then I figure that I can just appreciate the skillful artists I see instead of diluting my focus. Not that I'm averse to trying new media, it's just that I'll see some awesome stained glass or something and I get some cool ideas about what I might do, then I remember that I'd have to start with it as a novice so I'd be taking away from other productivity. See also: wanting to be able to play classical guitar or banjo, learning some of the fundamentals but realizing that I'd have to train for years to play "Recuerdos de la Alhambra"

Thanks! I think your art would absolutely work well in relief prints, although given how detailed/intricate it gets, it might be better suited for woodcut than lino. That's a whole 'nother level of skill vs. what I've ever attempted, though.

I think someone like me who doesn't create art for a living can afford to be a dilettante and bounce from one hobby and craft to another. My corporate job doesn't care and I don't have to worry about taking time away from a more productive area of interest. So I end up doing exactly as you described: ooh linocut! / ooh woodworking! / ooh knifemaking! It just. goes. on.

And I'm not qualified to say whether you pulled off a Toppi homage, but I can tell you created a wonderful piece!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hell yeah! If you tend to draw more than anything, the Daily Drawings thread would probably also be a great place to hang out, and I'm pretty sure it's more active than this one.

I'm horribly envious of how clean your work is, and the fact you got commissions really ought to tell you about how well it's perceived. As for printing on fabric, please do post if you figure it out. I have some mild interest in following the lino --> print --> vector --> t-shirt screen print path, but I wouldn't be opposed to block printing on tees instead. I just don't have any real confidence in my printing abilities. Or the space for it -- my printing station is a sliver of available kitchen counter :negative:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Will there be an inktober thread? I did that last year and enjoyed forcing myself to just draw something, no matter how simple, every day.

I enjoy lurking in those threads but get the impression that this subforum has slowed down a whole bunch since, you know, Lowtax.

The CC Discord (another place where I mostly lurk) might be the place where Inktober happens. The invite link is... Somewhere? If I can't find the post I'll link it myself later.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Another linocut print, this one based on the events/image seen here:

As I said elsewhere, I grew up in ex-Yugoslavia and remember when "Death to fascism, freedom to the people" went from being a serious call/response to a joke about the communists. And yet here I am, living in the US in TYOOL 2020, and this poo poo is more relevant than it's been in 75 years.

Think I'll go back to printing kaiju monsters attacking Austin, just needed to get this one out of me.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thank you -- that was probably the fastest idea-to-print I've ever done. Don't know if it was due to the relative simplicity or the all-consuming feeling of dread :shepicide:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Another in the "Kaiju attacking Austin" series which I originally started because ????

Calling it "Making my way downtown" :v:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
:aaa: those are amazing!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hell of a question -- wondering myself. I've had a bunch of people express interest in buying my Kaiju prints, but (a) talk is cheap, and (b) even if they're serious, I have no idea what is market-realistic.

There's this thread, various formulas you can find online which use Material Costs + Time + Overhead to help you calculate your hourly rate, you can trawl Etsy for comparisons (taking into account location and medium), or going to artist groups on Facebook or Discord.

If you find anything useful, let me know :v:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I'm happy if my post helped, but you might be thinking of dog nougat and their fantastic crab circus prints? Having never posted in SA Mart, I really don't know what the process/rules are.

Actually, dog nougat might be the right person to talk about pricing etc. As far as I know, they didn't start off with the idea of making these to sell, so it might be an interesting push vs. pull art sales discussion.

Or I'm entirely wrong and talking gibberish :v:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Most digitization attempts I've seen out there assume a decent scan to start with, so getting a large canvas into a computer... no idea how to go about that.

In case you're looking to get a vector image, I'll quote myself from another thread and what worked for me with an ink print:

Trabant posted:

Anyway! I went down the same tablet/Adobe/etc. research path but realized I didn't want to spend hundreds of bucks, so I'm always on the lookout for alternatives. Inkscape is free and using its built-in functions might be the way to go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiFiKXlMQ2g

but I haven't tried it yet. I figure it might be even more effective if you're like me and print in monochrome. I'll scan a print or two later and report on how well it worked.

Trabant posted:

I have mostly good news! That tutorial worked for my needs -- I scanned in a (badly overinked) proof I had nearby and followed along. The reason I say mostly good news is that it will almost certainly require trial and error, in addition to some prep of the image. Note that the below are my-dumb-rear end-trying-things-out steps rather than any kind of actual instruction.

Here is a part of the initial scan (I made a Godzilla print couple months ago for :iiam: reasons):

Zoomed in on some of the teeth:

I opened the scan in GIMP to remove the grey background of the paper itself, which worked pretty well using the Select by Color Tool and hitting the Delete key. I was left with just the black print and the transparent background.

Pretty sure that I should've made a few more colour selections to capture all of the paper background, but this worked well enough. And honestly... it may have been completely unnecessary. As in, I don't even know why a transparent background would be needed here. I'll play around with that... eventually.

Anyway, I exported that as a .png, opened it in Inkscape, and followed the video. This is where trial and error may be necessary. I kept the test simple and used a Single Scan, Brightness Cutoff, Brightness Threshold = 0.6. Let the computer chug along for a few seconds and exported the resulting object as a standard .svg file. Here it is zoomed in the same way as far as Inkscape would let me, to 25,600%:

No trace of pixellation at all, so I'm calling it a success. It's something I can tweak if I see dropped features from the original print. Hope it works for you too -- beats buying hardware and software and doing this by hand.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Those would indeed make fantastic prints.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
That's really wonderful stuff! Big fan of the way you did the landscapes.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Those are wonderful!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
At the risk of overthinking this, it depends on what they'll let you do to their wall. Do they have any hardware already in place -- screws, hook, etc?

For example, you can get something like one of these kits for not much money: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Picture-Hanging-Kit-10-Piece-80021/301993354

but that assumes you will be driving a nail into drywall. What if they won't let you, or if it's a brick wall?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Ah, gotcha. Then a wire sounds like it should work (I've made/mounted plenty of frames). The superglue... I don't know, I personally wouldn't trust it, mostly because I'd think it needs a decent surface area between the board and the wire.

My personal go-to for attaching the wire to the board would probably be something like those D-ring clips from the kit I linked. That assumes you're working with a thick enough board to allow for the screws though. If your board is too thin for screws but would allow small nails, maybe a sawtooth hanger to hang over a nail/screw in the wall? They're remarkably strong, at least in my experience:

-------------------------

Unrelated, a quick & dirty proof of a linocut (layer one of two). I tried to do some kind of shadow line between the dark and light areas of the wall, but it's too abrupt, too severe. I'll need to figure out how to create a smoother transition:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thanks!

The shadow line is growing on me, although I still plan on softening it a bit somehow.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
gently caress yeah, both of those kick rear end.

Lino proof, part 2/2, which hopefully explains what I was going for with this whole thing:

And since I'm apparently only capable of printing over the weekends, hopefully I'll have a real-deal one in a week.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Huh! Yeah, a definite similarity in lettering style:

For what it's worth, that wasn't the inspiration but Edgar Allan Poe definitely was.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
My first proof was better than my "actual" print :negative:

I don't think I like layer-on-layer printing either, I must not have let the black dry enough (although the first layer dried 2 weeks so who the hell knows). Oh well. I'll print it again eventually, I lie to myself.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

silicone thrills posted:

Its really good but your red is too transparent. Maybe try sliding some black pigment or white pigment in there. I've tried the red I think you have there and had the same issues.

Hmm, good observation. This is a Cranfield Caligo Safewash "process red" and I figured it'd be as opaque as it gets. I'll experiment with it next time around.

Keetron posted:

How about if I pay you for a second print and then you send it to me? There is already a bunch of goon art up on the walls, this will fit in nicely.

That's very kind -- thank you! Despite being internet strangers I like goons so I'm happy to just send you one free of charge. You can DM me the address. The downside is it'll probably be at least a few weeks before my next attempt so... it might take a minute.

sigma 6 posted:

The F is too hard to read but the eyes make it. Really didn't notice them at first.

Ha! I actually thought I was overdoing it with the eyes, so I'm glad to hear that.

There's a third Easter egg / clue in there, but that one probably is a little too hard to spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Holy moly :aaaaa: