Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Since upgrading to ios13, has anyone noticed that their iPad Pro 2 (or others, I guess) with official keyboard acts weird and either stops recognizing keyboard input or just types garbage until you force-quit the app in question and re-launch it?

Example:

Wake iPad Pro, try to type something in OneNote, no input. Force quit OneNote, relaunch it, all of a sudden keyboard is working. Definitely not limited to OneNote, but consistent issues across applications. Willing to concede it’s either a keyboard issue (less likely IMO) or a software issue, just wanted to see if anyone else gets same issue before I go down hardware replacement or bug filing road.

my smart keyboard just straight up stopped working. occasionally I’ll get toasts saying “this accessory is not supported”. Not exactly sure what to do about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

In my experience, Apple bends over backwards for iPad Pro users. I’ve had my 12.9 replaced twice and they’ve never even charged me my AppleCare deductible.

It’s always worth a try. They don’t carry refurbished Pro’s in the stores anymore though, so it’s not as simple as when they’d just swap it out for you.

How’s this work if you’ve never had AppleCare on your iPad Pro? I bought a brand new first gen 12.9 in January 2018 from someone on craigslist. No issues, battery life is great (although I only use it for work), but I did crack the screen slightly (only a few cracks, not visible straight on which is how I use it for work). Could I easily get it replaced?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

TraderStav posted:

I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for, but hoping to describe it and see if anyone know what kind of app may be out there to help.

I'm looking for an app that can very nimbly and quickly handle PDFs and/or images. I want to use my 12.9" pro as more of a hub for my guitar practicing/playing. I'm still very early in my journey and am taking my lessons. I get a lot of sheet music / notes from my instructor that I use pretty much religiously, but would be nice to shuffle them around (like I do in reality) in a linear fashion without much fuss.

I was initially thinking of OneNote, but the interface is a bit clunky and if I wanted to 'rearrange' the order of my pages, it's a PITA. So I'm picturing an app that is very loose with the structure of the pages and can reorder them in almost an infinite flow on the X axis, but also serve to organize them as they get more numerous. Perhaps into binders?

Sorry if that sounds odd, but trying to figure out how I want to organize my materials but also not be too restrictive and put a barrier between myself and the music.

ForScore. It’s industry-standard. You can easily annotate (get the Apple Pencil!), rearranging pages is dead simple, and it has a built-in metronome, tuner, and tons of other features.

I get hired for a lot of musicals and also got a bluetooth page turner (AirTurn makes great ones, but I’ve never heard anything bad about any of the other companies), which might also be useful for you down the line when you’re reading longer things like songs/classical pieces

feel free to PM me if you have any specific music/iPad questions!

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

TraderStav posted:

Ooh will check it out. I have a pencil already so got that covered. It'll import PDF?

In general, I'd love to hear how you use your iPad for music. My current system is a Manila folder I carry around in my case between lessons and home. I throw an AirPod in for my metronome (still working out rhythm) and follow the plan.

Thanks!

Yup, importing is a breeze too. If someone has a pdf already they can airdrop it to you and you can select forscore and it’ll import in literally a second (unless it’s 400 pages at 1200dpi). The only downside is it doesn’t automatically fill out the metadata fields, so you have to keep up on that manually every time you import something

Honestly a lot of the stuff I work on now is harder/more variations of stuff out the books I’ve been using forever, so I use those at home a lot. I did pick up PDF versions of some of them, but I found that for me, not having a physical object open to a specific page makes it harder for me to both remember what I was practicing, and it makes less likely to want to practice, so I mostly stick to physicals

I use my iPad for musicals because page turns are obnoxious while playing a rhythm section instrument (especially drums, because you’re playing 99% of the time), as well as very lightly in rehearsals—the jazz trio I play with regularly does everything from memory, but we’ll do several versions of arrangements before settling on the specifics, so annotating comes in handy for writing down any changes

In the past I’ve run a metronome off it for shows (the one in forscore), but I’m moving away from that since I got a sample pad. I still use it for practicing though (a separate metronome I like better), and I use Spotify for playing along to tunes

I know people who use it as a teaching aid, but I haven’t done much with it in that regard. It’d definitely come in handy with older instruments with a lot of sheet music online (esp. piano/classical instruments where a lot of it’s free/there’re subscription services like Spotify for), but that’s a little harder for drums since the instrument is younger than the copyright expiration for all written music for it :sigh:

I also do freelance music editing (music engraving), and exporting a pdf to my iPad lets me look at the music as a performer and catch more mistakes that I missed just looking at it on a computer, which I can then mark and fix, all without wasting any paper or ink

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

I have an original Pro and honestly see no reason to upgrade beyond "shiny!" The CPU is more than adequate for my needs, but I also recognize my needs are pretty minimal. I expect I'll keep it until it stops getting software updates.

This is my situation too—I only use it for reading sheet music and a metronome, so the only I’ll “upgrade” it when it dies in like 6-10 more years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

ijyt posted:

For what it's worth, I have the 1st gen iPad Pro and it is running as fast and smoothly (if not smoother) as the day I got it.

+1